• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Here's an interesting article on TV ad spend. Sony really went all out on advertising, holy shit. I can't find the article covering last November, but Microsoft actually spent less money this November than last.
I saw a ton of PS4 commercials last month. Nintendo was better than I thought they would be.

I do wonder who is buying XB1X units.
I think it is the Xbox base. The same for Pro.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes I know, but November alone is bigger than October + September +August put together. A far lower tie-ratio for the month (<20%) would have affected a lot the overall one.
Using 800k for Switch this month, and assuming the attach rate was 1:4 at the end of the tracking period as well, then Switch was at 3.4 million, and Splatoon 2 at 850k. A leak for the first month (July) gave us 332k. Looking at prior months, and how Splatoon 2 dropped in those months, and estimating some very rough ideas about numbers from those, I can see it having sold 1:4 this November. 200k might be reasonable as a prediction. That would mean good things for Skyrim, since ranking between the 200k and (likely) the 400k+ of MK8D (since MK8D sold to >50% of the userbase) just with retail sales is a very good result, better than I had anticipated myself.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Using 800k for Switch this month, and assuming the attach rate was 1:4 at the end of the tracking period as well, then Switch was at 3.4 million, and Splatoon 2 at 850k. A leak for the first month (July) gave us 332k. Looking at prior months, and how Splatoon 2 dropped in those months, and estimating some very rough ideas about numbers from those, I can see it having sold 1:4 this November. 200k might be reasonable as a prediction. That would mean good things for Skyrim, since ranking between the 200k and (likely) the 400k+ of MK8D (since MK8D sold to >50% of the userbase) just with retail sales is a very good result, better than I had anticipated myself.

We still don't have a third party game on Switch that has sold 1M physical worldwide, right? I'd guess Minecraft has, but we haven't heard whether or not Mario + Rabbids reached that number right?

It would be kind of amazing if Skyrim is the first physical title to reach that number.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
In the last years december had the same, if not better, deals than BF. This year MS will sell XBO S 500 GB bundles for $199 (BF was $229).
The PS4 was $249 bundled from retailers for BF 2016. From Sony in December 2016 it was $299 bundled. So I'm not sure what you mean by "same if not better." Not to mention that holiday was a different scenario than this one given they just launched 3 new pieces of hardware. Vs this year where theyre competing with 2 new pieces of hardware. And the XB1 was $189 on BF at it's lowest official price.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We still don't have a third party game on Switch that has sold 1M physical worldwide, right? I'd guess Minecraft has, but we haven't heard whether or not Mario + Rabbids reached that number right?

It would be kind of amazing if Skyrim is the first physical title to reach that number.
I feel pretty confident that M+R will have passed the 1 million mark already, since it's been selling consistently. Still, Skyrim seems poised to pass the 1 million mark, and that is a pretty good result for a late port of a remaster of Skyrim, I think.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 was $249 bundled from retailers for BF 2016. From Sony in December 2016 it was $299 bundled. So I'm not sure what you mean by "same if not better." Not to mention that holiday was a different scenario than this one given they just launched 3 new pieces of hardware. Vs this year where theyre competing with 2 new pieces of hardware. And the XB1 was $189 on BF at it's lowest official price.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...undle-249-99-december-11-through-december-24/

This deal lasted 2 weeks as well compared to the one week this year.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Again, you have to understand that they don't really mean "you can't say a prediction now". After all, one of the people who said this to you made his own (different) prediction. When people say "it's too early to tell" it actually means "nothing we predict right now will be very certain".

No one is trying to shut you up. It's just them disagreeing with your numbers. They're doing the exact same thing you are when someone says, "Switch will end at 60m" and you say "No way!" It's all just discussion.

gotcha. I'm more mad about people calling me crazy or ridiculus tho than just people disagreeing with me. This has been the same since years, and i'm honestly bored.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John Harker
Thanks as always.

2 uncertainties, if you would like to clarify them it would be appreciated. If not it's fine, too and just be silent.
Xbox One X sold >65% more than Ps4 Pro this month or the respective Ps4 Pro launch last year?
You said both Xbox One and Ps4 had their best months ever, the NPD release made the distinction between Ps4 best ever month and Xb1 best November. Do i read to much into that? :D

Good to have you here.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony drop the price to $249 in december of 2016 too.

updated-promo.jpg

Also, the $189 deal for XBO S remains going on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel pretty confident that M+R will have passed the 1 million mark already, since it's been selling consistently. Still, Skyrim seems poised to pass the 1 million mark, and that is a pretty good result for a late port of a remaster of Skyrim, I think.

I guess it's on track to be the first third party game not featuring Mario* to reach 1M. I'm more curious where DOOM's LTD will wind up, since at least Skyrim and BotW have a bit of genre overlap going on.

*Even if it does have his voice actor

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

M+R will be first.
second might be bomberman.
or skyrim. I assume stuff like SFII stopped selling as fast.

why only retail though? Digital can't be included?

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
When you talk about "making money", you mean revenue or profit?

Two different things and different positions depending on that

And revenue Switch was last even if all the SKU's Sony sold were $199 PS4s

I was talking revenue...and if you take into account Switch, 3DS, and SNES Classic...plus Nintendo had 1st party software that actually charted, they couldve be produced more revenue...and profit.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
M+R will be first.
second might be bomberman.
or skyrim. I assume stuff like SFII stopped selling as fast.

why only retail though? Digital can't be included?

I only said retail because we won't know digital sales for most games, so it's easier to compare retail to retail.

Not that we know retail for Skyrim, but it's at least a bit easier to estimate.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

You must rememb that 332,000 is withouth digital.

The 1:4 ratio from Nintendo, must include it. Honestly considering the digital ratio Splatoon 1 had on Wii U (165K first month, 136K retail, 17% digital), is very likely Splatoon 2 did over 400K first month.

Well, to be honest i agree that November probabily has Splatoon 2 at 200K or more, but mostly i think the 1:4 ratio lifetime is surely rounded.

Look at Mario Odyssey, we have estimate who put him over Star Wars at retail, which sold almost 900k witouth digital, so Mario Odyssey is at least at >900K this month (probabily one million), and LT sales are confirmed above 2 million right now, yet Reggie talked about a 50% attach rate, which would only put Mario Odyssey at 1.7 million.

Anyway, Skyrim first month on Switch is very good, nothing to say here. So far third party on Switch are doing very good, this is a good sign for the future support!

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
If we are going by Reggie's word, Splatoon being over a 25% tie-ratio might mean that Skyrim sold more than 200k without digital. Probably closer to 300k if we go by Mat's expectation of a 40+% digital rate. I think Bethesda will be very happy with this one, especially since the game seem to have some legs and never left the TOP30 Amazon best-seller list.

I'm not sure where you got those estimates from, but I'm curious?
By my estimation w/out digital, we're just over 100k

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Are the publishers even more hesitant to share that date with your company and in the end even other publishers, or do they want to go into the inevitable future of game sales tracking?

2 million units sold.
December just got a big promotion.

So either PSVR was never alive or it's not dead.

Well, and that does seem to be the question. 2 million over a year doesnt seem impressive at all, but...I guess its all relative?

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how the PSVR bundles did. Sony was pretty aggressive with them. Of course, since NPD won't release sales numbers (to the public), I guess there isn't much to say, officially. Maybe we'll get a leak or Sony will say something.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You must rememb that 332,000 is withouth digital.

The 1:4 ratio from Nintendo, must include it. Honestly considering the digital ratio Splatoon 1 had on Wii U (165K first month, 136K retail, 17% digital), is very likely Splatoon 2 did over 400K first month.

Well, to be honest i agree that November probabily has Splatoon 2 at 200K or more, but mostly i think the 1:4 ratio lifetime is surely rounded.

Look at Mario Odyssey, we have estimate who put him over Star Wars at retail, which sold almost 900k witouth digital, so Mario Odyssey is at least at >900K this month (probabily one million), and LT sales are confirmed above 2 million right now, yet Reggie talked about a 50% attach rate, which would only put Mario Odyssey at 1.7 million.

Anyway, Skyrim first month on Switch is very good, nothing to say here. So far third party on Switch are doing very good, this is a good sign for the future support!
Well, Reggie listed SMO in the list of games with an attach rate of over 50%, so that doesn't prove him or our estimates wrong.

I found the following nugget when I went through Nintendo PR for the US:
The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game was the top-selling video game in April with more than 460,000 physical units sold. With digital sales added, the total is more than 550,000 units.
Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...-News-Nintendo-Switch-Best-Selling-Video-Game

So, digital for MK8D was about 16%, at least at its launch. If we use that as a guidance number, then Splatoon 2 did around 386k including digital first month. If we use it as a factor to decrease our numbers, then 170k < Skyrim < 345k, with rough approximations, of course. As you said, still a good result.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Things just take time.
Okay great. I really look forward to see the "full picture" soon.
I don't think it's finalized yet, but will MTX more likely be added as a new category, or just added to the games $ sales?
I think this is most importantly a factor as some titles (especially F2P) would have no or low game sales, but a very healthy amount of revenue generated via MTX late in the life of the product.
I'm sure you guys will find out the best way to do and report it.

Exciting times ahead.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where you got those estimates from, but I'm curious?
By my estimation w/out digital, we're just over 100k

Switch HW sales Nov = ~800k
50% > Splatoon tie ratio >= 25% (cf Reggie)
November bigger than the 3 post Splatoon launch month --> tie ratio of Splatoon for November > 20%. (or else the tie ratio would be too badly impacted).
Skyrim over Splatoon 2 in November but under Zelda.

==> Skyrim > 20%*800k =160k which is the minimum estimated.

With digital Skyrim should be well over 200k.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ok numbers for the xbox one x. Obviously being that the xbox one was so underpowered people who owned that system would rush out to get the X, more than the people who have ps4's to the pro. more people are content with their PS4 purchase than xbox one users were.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Folks buying the Switch (based on my own anecdotal evidence) are guys (late thirties, early forties) who grew up with Nintendo, nostalgia played a very big part in their purchase, and they bought it mainly to play the Mario's and Zelda's.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Sony drop the price to $249 in december of 2016 too.

updated-promo.jpg

Also, the $189 deal for XBO S remains going on.

That's my fault. I had the wrong December. 2015 it was $299 bundled. Granted, the scenarios are still different. $199 unbundled in their eyes = $249 bundled. And the base one was reduced to $249 to match those bundles. BF 2016 also saw additional games included with purchase of the $249 bundle at most big retailers. My point being that it not being = to the BF sale shouldn't be shocking nor should it give ppl reason to think they will have a massive drop vs December. Sorry for the mixup

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch HW sales Nov = ~800k
50% > Splatoon tie ratio >= 25% (cf Reggie)
November bigger than the 3 post Splatoon launch month --> tie ratio of Splatoon for November > 20%. (or else the tie ratio would be too badly impacted).
Skyrim over Splatoon 2 in November but under Zelda.

==> Skyrim > 20%*800k =160k which is the minimum estimated.

With digital Skyrim should be well over 200k.

Just FYI I think you're mixing up "tie ratio" and "attach rate" at least when it comes to terminology. Tie ratio refers to how many games (or products) a consumer has bought per system, and attach rate refers to how many of a single particular product (like a game or accessory) has been bought per system sold.

Also Reggie's quote came from an interview after the 10M Switches sold PR, the period of which was through December 10th. I'm not sure if that affects your calculations at all but it's probably worth noting that this is probably when the attach rates were what he reported (50% for Zelda/Mario/MK8, 25% for Splatoon 2), while the November NPD tracking period ended November 25th.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Party: The Flop 100.

I mean, who's going to buy a Mario Party game on a handheld with no TV functions? Mario Party 10 on Wii U did better than both Island Tour AND Star Rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.