• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I thought it would be interesting to look at the debut numbers for major Switch Titles released so far.

Breath of the Wild: 925k(PR from Nintendo)
Mario Kart 8D: 525k??(PR from Nintendo)
Splatoon 2: 330k(leaked numbers)
ARMS: 260k(PR from Nintendo for June NPD)
Mario Odyssey: Not totally sure but maybe 800k< ?
Came in 3rd in October NPD
1 2 Switch: I just know it's over 120k from NPD insiders during March NPD
Mario and Rabbids: 5th in terms of revenue in September NPD
Pokken DX: 13th in terms of revenue in September NPD
Fire Emblem Warriors: 17th in October NPD Chart

Now important 3rd Party(besides Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario and Rabbids).......

Bomberman R: 100k<(I remember John Harker mentioning this for March NPD)
DOOM: 60k(From John Harker)
Skyrim: Over 100k(From John Harper)
Sonic Forces: Over 60k(due to being ahead of DOOM on Switch only chart)

Great work, but you should always specific when a game include or does not include digital. Let me help you:

Super Mario Odyssey: 1,100,000 (inc. digital) *
Breath of the Wild: 925,000 (inc. digital; 900K retail alone) *
Mario Kart 8D: 550,000 (inc. digital; 460K retail alone) *
Splatoon 2: 332,000 (retail alone) **
ARMS: 256,000 (inc. digital) *
12Switch: 172,000 (no digital) **

3rd party:
Skyrim > 100,000 (no digital) **
DOOM - 60,000 (no digital) **

* Official numbers from Nintendo or NPD
** Leaked numbers

As for Bomberman, i didn't knew John posted that number. Do you have a link? (I believe you, but i always want the source)

EDIT: And last, you guys have to rememb that from now, every NPD chart is revenue , not units sold. If Sonic is over DOOM in the Switch chart, it doesn't mean it sold more, just like La Noire has sold better than DOOM yet DOOM is in the chart and La Noire is not.

EDIT 2: Completely ignore EDIT 1 lul

EDIT 3: Well, if with EDIT 2 i gnore the EDIT 1, i may just cancell the first EDIT...

EDIT 4: You know what, i'll let all those EDIT live just for the lulz

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Ryng Manuel Tolu Alright so I may have been mistaken from where it was from; however NPD mentioned a 19% Attach Rate for 1 2 Switch on a Total of Around 170k~. Bomberman debuted only a few places below this number in the March NPD charts.

http://m./showthread.php?t=1362489&page=4

Also Sonic Forces had a cheaper MSRP than DOOM Switch so it being above DOOM in the Switch chart basically confirms it sold more.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Forces is a $40 title while DOOM is $60.

Also LA Noire was Switch only?

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
They are making more money than they ever did, so I don't think they're worried about that 'contraction'.

I put it in quotations because I never got the point to combine handheld and console numbers.
Does Sony combine the handheld's PSN numbers alongside the Console's PSN ones or separate them in their financial reports?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Oh crap, i thought 86K was Switch only lmao. That's why i was a bit shocked. Yeeeeeah, 86K for all platform make sense, my bad!

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Already discussed and dismissed.

This analyst probably looked up a projection for Switch and took it as a sales number. They also left out top selling items like the iPad and PS4 from that list. It's hardly reliable.

Oh okay, but i think the list was only for products that came out in 2017, so PS4 wouldn't count.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
iPhone -> iPhone X + iPhone 8 + iPhone 8 Plus

Apple Watch series 3

Echo dot 2nd generation.

But is it possible that iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad 2017 sold less than 15 mln units combined?

But the echo dot 2nd generation didn't come out in 2017and those iPhone and Apple Watch numbers include models that released before 2017.

I'm unsure why we're even discussing this tbh.

Last edited:

Revenge Joe's Father

Banned for having multiple alt accounts
Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Does NPD still track the 360 and PS3?I know they are both discontinued from further production but they are still sold officially on store shelves.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've banned the above guy like 6 times now.

If you read this. Stop making alt accounts. Take the hint.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
I've banned the above guy like 6 times now.

If you read this. Stop making alt accounts. Take the hint.

So, the guy was banned before, but came back with another account? How did you find out it was the same person that fast? In the old country, I don't recall those things being resolved at a fast pace. :D

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Considering what I've view and info from some friends working for some stores, it seems like X still has. Decent fle f sales but the question is how well s t doing onine?

I've noticed over the last few years Xbx during many months and mst holiday on the seems to always get beat online in general.

I wonder if the X is doing decent online or it's mostly retail thats holding it up.

I think even for Nov there was something about the switch selling out online.

Again? Stop. Making. Accounts.

This is an under rated gem.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's simultaneously surprising and not surprising. I guess I haven't seen a lot out in the wild. Do we have any idea what shipments have been like for Sony?

Not huge.

That said its seen a big uptick (for what it is) in the past 2 months with the price cuts.

I think if Sony could get PSVR down to its Holiday prices long term next year that PSVR will sell more units in 2018 vs 2017

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
More units of PlayStation 4 hardware sold in November 2017 than any other month life to date.

Wow...Nov 2017 is the highest for PS4?
At this rate, I am guessing 2018 will be the next highest and so on.
At this point, the price will be 199 in 2018 than 150 in 2019, and 99 in 2020 when the PS5 will be out.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about PS Vita :p

Not entirely fair. There is more demand for PSVR I think than what has been let on. VR in general. That's somewhere me and Mat for example vary quite a bit on.

It just needs better pricing and software. But there is still a lot of interest from consumers in VR. And I think if Sony can lower price 2018 could be a much stronger year for the hardware.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely fair. There is more demand for PSVR I think than what has been let on. VR in general. That's somewhere me and Mat for example vary quite a bit on.

It just needs better pricing and software. But there is still a lot of interest from consumers in VR. And I think if Sony can lower price 2018 could be a much stronger year for the hardware.

How is the switch stock doing, still holding strong or more sortages ?

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you experienced "full scale, full motion" VR/AR arcades, the VR experience for games in the "sit down, at home" VR really pales in comparison...

I personally don't feel the potential for VR at home lies in games, but that might be just me.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you experienced VR arcades, the VR experience for games in the "sit down, at home" VR really pales in comparison...

Most people haven't experience that.

Most people haven't even experienced VR in general.

That said the concept still resonates pretty strongly in consumers and more so than we are seeing reflected in hardware data imo. The problem just comes down to price and software. Not a simple solution but I feel better about the future of VR than some in the industry.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people haven't experience that.

Most people haven't even experienced VR in general.

That said the concept still resonates pretty strongly in consumers and more so than we are seeing reflected in hardware data imo. The problem just comes down to price and software. Not a simple solution but I feel better about the future of VR than some in the industry.

Let's see if the killer app comes then, it will be exciting to see what concept will help VR break out.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if the killer app comes then, it will be exciting to see what concept will help VR break out.

Well keep in mind I don't ever expect VR to be "huge". Its about as enthusiast of a concept as you can imagine. You are telling someone to strap something to their head and totally block out the rest of the world.

But I also believe the performances we are currently seeing isn't the same level that consumer interest is. Price is a huge barrier as is the basic tech and software. Its a damn difficult situation to crack as tech needs to improve, cost has to come down, and devs have to figure out how best to use the technology / medium. Its not easy task by any means.

But something like RE7 is proof positive to me that the capability is there. And I've talked to literally (no exaggeration) thousands of consumers over the last year. And VR is certainly a topic of interest.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well keep in mind I don't ever expect VR to be "huge". Its about as enthusiast of a concept as you can imagine. You are telling someone to strap something to their head and totally block out the rest of the world.

But I also believe the performances we are currently seeing isn't the same level that consumer interest is. Price is a huge barrier as is the basic tech and software. Its a damn difficult situation to crack as tech needs to improve, cost has to come down, and devs have to figure out how best to use the technology / medium. Its not easy task by any means.

But something like RE7 is proof positive to me that the capability is there. And I've talked to literally (no exaggeration) thousands of consumers over the last year. And VR is certainly a topic of interest.

You reveal too much. Someone might be able to guess who you are like that! :p

Well, by "break out", I just mean doing much better than what most of the industry is saying. Most expect it to be a dead end IIRC.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still not great. I'm hoping the situation improves in January

Its possible Nintendo will divert stock to Japan for January, they will want to put a lot of stock into the market and, potentially, around the MHW launch in Japan.

While it isn't happening in the NA market, the Switch is very much sucking the life out of its competitors in Japan.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its possible Nintendo will divert stock to Japan for January, they will want to put a lot of stock into the market and, potentially, around the MHW launch in Japan.

While it isn't happening in the NA market, the Switch is very much sucking the life out of its competitors in Japan.

My own view is that the Switch diversion might only be temporary to get money from young people/kids who just received their New Year money in Japan. This usually means more shipment for the first half of the month.

I don't know if it will persist for the whole month though, unless Nintendo wants to do something to MHW (That will correspond to a uptick in its ad campaign in January as well). We will have to see.

That said January sales should be slow for anything so I expect demand for NSW to normalize in January in the US.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I have a feeling that the huge influx of Switch supply we saw since Super Mario Odyssey launched was more than the typical share NA would normally get since the holiday season is a huge deal (not to say it's not in Japan either) with the mentality that they would ship more to Japan in the New Year since competition is less fierce. Personal speculation though.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that the huge influx of Switch supply we saw since Super Mario Odyssey launched was more than the typical share NA would normally get since the holiday season is a huge deal (not to say it's not in Japan either) with the mentality that they would ship more to Japan in the New Year since competition is less fierce. Personal speculation though.

From what we can gather from NPD and MC, Nintendo did something like this

November: Overshipped to US. Stock left over, no issues getting NSW.

December 1st Half: Shipped some more to US, I heard it is a considerable amount. Japan undersupplied heavily. MC expected 200k a week for early December, but we got something close to high 100k instead.

December 2nd Half: Shipped more to Japan (250k+ to 300k range), USA start to show signs of shortages, based on what Benji said. Some anecdotal reports on my side have NSW running out two days before Xmas. Seems to be an uneven situation, as some store still have stock from some online trackers.

Now: Still shipping units for Japan (30th December) for New Year Rush from kids/young people. US stock situation still low.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I was out shopping today and I noticed that the switch was sold out at two targets I went to. I went online and one target had two grey switches in stock within 100 miles. 10+ sold out. I decided to check Best Buy and no Best Buy's have neon switches within 250 miles and no greys within a 100 miles (a couple of stores)

You can still order them online and have them for pickup or shipped within a week or so.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what we can gather from NPD and MC, Nintendo did something like this

November: Overshipped to US. Stock left over, no issues getting NSW.

December 1st Half: Shipped some more to US, I heard it is a considerable amount. Japan undersupplied heavily. MC expected 200k a week for early December, but we got something close to high 100k instead.

December 2nd Half: Shipped more to Japan (250k+), USA start to show signs of shortages, based on what Benji said. Some anecdotal reports on my side have NSW running out two days before Xmas. Seems to be an uneven situation, as some store still have stock from some online trackers.

Now: Still shipping units for Japan (30th December) for New Year Rush from kids/young people. US stock situation still low.

Yeah. definitely feeling the same after having watched the MC sales threads this month.

It makes a bit of sense for them to do that though. Competition is much tougher in North America and if they overshipped early enough back in October they wouldn't have to spend money shipping units in via air, which is more costly, throughout the season for restocks. But again just an if. Will be interesting to see what they say at the next investor call/Q&A.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I highlight January is because its a big shopping Week 1 for Japan. The other thing was that there's also the release of MHWorld and if Nintendo floods the channels with units, the Switch is, regardless of MH, more popular and it will take money away from possible purchases of a competitor at its...

... only? major release for Japan in 2018.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
I was out shopping today and I noticed that the switch was sold out at two targets I went to. I went online and one target had two grey switches in stock within 100 miles. 10+ sold out. I decided to check Best Buy and no Best Buy's have neon switches within 250 miles and no greys within a 100 miles (a couple of stores)

You can still order them online and have them for pickup or shipped within a week or so.

Anyone else seeing this?

That's the situation in NYC. Handful of Targets and Wal-marts that you can pick up in store, but the rest are only available as ship to store. None at all in any Best Buy or GameStop. But in stock on Amazon in both colors.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I highlight January is because its a big shopping Week 1 for Japan. The other thing was that there's also the release of MHWorld and if Nintendo floods the channels with units, the Switch is, regardless of MH, more popular and it will take money away from possible purchases of a competitor at its...

... only? major release for Japan in 2018.
KH3

Status
Not open for further replies.