• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks. That's not as big of a spread as I thought. Some ppl were expecting Sony to sell over 2m ps4s

I'm not sure a single person ever said they were expecting 2+ million. A few people were kind of hoping to see it because that would be crazy and awesome but no one expected that.

Still can't see it outselling by a million

It outsold the PS4 by 500K last year with no smash bros and with the PS4 having much better deals.

Oct 27, 2017
God of War just won't die! Also figured that PS4 led in unit sales and Switch led in a revenue. This month is going to be interesting because so many people are under the impression that Switch is going to sell like 3-4 million units and Xbone and PS4 will only sell like 900K. Surely the sales can't be that skewed.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I'm not sure a single person ever said they were expecting 2+ million. A few people were kind of hoping to see it because that would be crazy and awesome but no one expected that.

It outsold the PS4 by 500K last year with no smash bros and with the PS4 having much better deals.

It's a newer system it should be

Outselling by a million is a stretch

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Last year was PS4 > XBOX >> Switch in November, with Switch taking the lead in december.
The fact that all 3 is basically tied is a huge win for every manufacturer, but also proves extrapolating last year's results to this year is probably not helpful.

Switch having a huge december title will certainly help them keep the momentum, but lots of people who predicted the same PS4> XBOX >> Switch split for this November got it wrong. Benji was right, and people kept arguing with him about it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'll be interested to see what Actiblizzard shareholders think of those results. BO4 selling slower than WWII. Still made a shitload of money, but doesn't look like growth on the COD front.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
While the PS4 doesn't have any price cuts its not like there is no demand for the system. PS4 with COD is still a very attratice bundle and demand for the system is still there.

Sony seems to be focusing on growing their VR base though.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
In your defense, it seems it's a real tight race:

What is the gap right now? I believe it's around 600-700K. The switch should be able to close that gap but it's far from guaranteed.

I do think 2.5+ million predictions for the switch may be very premature. Let's not forget that there are no cyber Monday numbers this year for December. I still think 2 million can happen but anything above that would be pretty crazy.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Definitely were ppl expecting 2m. Go back and look in the thread about the $200 ps4 selling out. More than a few were saying 2m

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch would need to sell ~800k more than the PS4 in December to "win" in 2018 US unit sales.... it's gonna be close. I'm currently thinking Switch will be ~1.9M and PS4 ~1.0M for December.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Going back to Fallout 76.

Whilst the game didn't bomb. It's probably worth noting that FO4 sold 3x more than New Vegas did in its opening month. So FO76 not doing as well as New Vegas should show how poorly FO76 did in comparison to the last game. Granted, digital sales aren't included.

I'm expecting FO76 sales to fall fairly drastically next month.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
While the PS4 doesn't have any price cuts its not like there is no demand for the system.
Curiously they have it at 199/299(base/pro) this December in Europe(in addition to VR sales) its like they prioritize one market at a time.

It'll be interesting to see how holiday totals compare in the end, last year EU deals weren't great IIRC.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch would need to sell ~800k more than the PS4 in December to "win" in 2018 US unit sales.... it's gonna be close. I'm currently thinking Switch will be ~1.9M and PS4 ~1.0M for December.
Insiders seem to think PS4 is going to be down YoY in december and Switch significantly up YoY

Going by the 500k difference last december, 1 million isn't a stretch

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
While the PS4 doesn't have any price cuts its not like there is no demand for the system. PS4 with COD is still a very attratice bundle and demand for the system is still there.

Sony seems to be focusing on growing their VR base though.

I don't think anyone is saying there is no demand for the PS4 just that it's unlikely to be up this year. Considering the switch sold 500K more last year without smash that's why people are expecting a sizeable gap.

Definitely were ppl expecting 2m. Go back and look in the thread about the $200 ps4 selling out. More than a few were saying 2m

I was posting in those threads. Just because people were saying that was an extreme scenario doesn't mean they were 'expecting' it. No one considered that a likely scenario.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a few thoughts

This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are. Xbox seriously over performed in terms of expectations

Spyro is going phenomenal

Combined November + December is going to see the PS4 down quite significantly YoY in terms of holiday performance. Sony prioritized profit over units but its still going to be quite a drop.

Any questions?

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
[
It LITERALLY says that:

"Hardware for November: PlayStation 4 was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in unit sales. Nintendo Switch was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in dollar sales. The PlayStation 4 remains the leader in hardware platform dollar sales year to date."

It didn't before though. In the thread it says the OP was updated for clarity.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So a few thoughts

This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are. Xbox seriously over performed in terms of expectations

Combined November + December is going to see the PS4 down quite significantly YoY in terms of holiday performance. Sony prioritized profit over units but its still going to be quite a drop.

Any questions?
All I need to read.

Bless!

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
So a few thoughts

Any questions?
Do you see Xbox staying flat for December (unless your comment above is related to both months)?

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios
So a few thoughts

Any questions?
How's Smash holding so far week to week? Thanks in advance.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
It's awesome to see all three so well. I'm sure this is a super obvious answer to people who frequents these threads but what's the difference between the Switch having the highest dollar sales versus the PS4 being the higher in unit sales (which seems self explanatory).

Nintendo's console made the most total revenue as in units sold * MSRP

PlayStation 4 consoles sold the highest number of units.

At the prices for most of the Black Friday period, The PS4 (starting at $199) family would need to sell more than 20% more PS4s than the Switch family units sold (assuming the split for Pro ($399) is 25% of total PS4 unit sales) to match or exceed revenue brought in by the Switch at the current price difference. That's pretty much unrealistic with the rate at which Switch normally keeps pace with PS4 sales.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone is saying there is no demand for the PS4 just that it's unlikely to be up this year. Considering the switch sold 500K more last year without smash that's why people are expecting a sizeable gap.

I was posting in those threads. Just because people were saying that was an extreme scenario doesn't mean they were 'expecting' it. No one considered that a likely scenario.
I was posting in that thread too. No one mentioned extreme scenarios. Come on now. Hindsight and all but no need to defend those that expected 2m

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much, lol.

Switch list is.....dominated....by Switch exclusives.
Which makes sense as its exclusives are so far the biggest games it has received thus far

People who don't even game know about the call of duty brand, it's huge. This probably helps sell a few copies as people will pick up the game for relatives etc as it's called of duty on the box !
Which makes people confusion as to how it continues to sell stupidly well all the more confusing. Even as someone who doesn't like it knows that the game is among the absolute best, if not the best, selling game every year

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you see Xbox staying flat for December (unless your comment above is related to both months)?

I'm expecting both PS4 and Xbox One down YoY in December as of now. That said between the 2 PS4 has an easier road ahead if it wants to stay flat as last year was fairly soft for it. Though this year isnt looking like it will see growth

How's Smash holding so far week to week? Thanks in advance.

Smash Week 2 was comparable to its week 1 tbh

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4

1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Fallout 76*
  4. Battlefield V
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  7. Madden NFL 19
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. FIFA 19
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
XB1

3. Battlefield V
  4. Fallout 76*
  5. Madden NFL 19
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  8. FIFA 19
  9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  10. Forza Horizon 4
Switch

1. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  2. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Just Dance 2019
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Somebody just recently tried very hard to try and convince me Sony does not rely heavily on third party. I have said it before and I will say it again, Nintendo is the only one who sells hardware mainly based on exclusives. If Nintendo ever gets it's hardware back close to parity with the others it would be very interesting.

Overall, good numbers, but depressing that Hitman 2 didn't even chart. Damned shame. Such a great game, and IOI really put in the work.

I'm kind of bummed too, I bought it (Gold edition and the last one).

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in the predictions thread, we get leaked number percentages a few days before PR that we then extrapolate from last year's data to give us a general unit estimate.

Switch: 1356k
PS4: 1470k
XBO: 1338k

Switch was much closer to PS4 than most people expected with that Spidey bundle even in limited numbers.

Nintendo are on a tear at the moment. Great to see Xbox improve too for such a healthy industry.

Who was the person on Gaf who predicted doom for dedicated consoles just because WiiU bombed and Xbox One didn't start too hot in every single NPD thread. I'd love to hear his thoughts now lol.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS4

3. Fallout 76*
  4. Battlefield V
  5. NBA 2K19
  7. Madden NFL 19
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. FIFA 19
XB1

3. Battlefield V
  4. Fallout 76*
  5. Madden NFL 19
  6. NBA 2K19
  8. FIFA 19
  10. Forza Horizon 4
Switch

3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  7. Just Dance 2019
Somebody just recently tried very hard to try and convince me Sony does not rely heavily on third party. I have said it before and I will say it again, Nintendo is the only one who sells hardware mainly based on exclusives. If Nintendo ever gets it's hardware back close to parity with the others it would be very interesting.

Did you just miss the best April ever for PlayStation hardware with God of War?

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So a few thoughts

Any questions?

How did BFV do compared to SW BF2?

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
PS4

3. Fallout 76*
  4. Battlefield V
  5. NBA 2K19
  7. Madden NFL 19
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. FIFA 19
XB1

3. Battlefield V
  4. Fallout 76*
  5. Madden NFL 19
  6. NBA 2K19
  8. FIFA 19
  10. Forza Horizon 4
Switch

3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  7. Just Dance 2019

Ummm I mean the switch doesn't even have those titles to begin with so you wouldn't really know if First party will outsell the third party...

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
So a few thoughts

Any questions?

Is Xenoblade Dead already, sales wise? DQXI? Diablo? Any unexpected surprise?

RPG lover here, thanks for any information in advance!

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you just miss the best April ever for PlayStation hardware with God of War?

Does that somehow make my point invalid? Show me where I said exclusives are not important.

Ummm I mean the switch doesn't even have those titles to begin with so you wouldn't really know if First party will outsell the third party...

When wad the last time we saw third party dominate a Nintendo console line-up in the top 10?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a few thoughts

Any questions?
given that Spyro is doing well and Crash is still in the charts for the Switch, would Spyro Switch be a pretty big missed opportunity considering the lack of competition, barring old games, on the switch

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone think switch gets an official price cut prior to E3 or does thing hold its price until holiday 2019?

I'm ignoring the switch rumoured revision for now.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Accessories and Game Card way up. I wonder how much of that is attributed to the power of Fortnite. All those V-bucks...