• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Switch with no price drop or black Friday sale? Imagine how much they'll sell when they finally drop the price, to make room for the switch pro... (I can only dream)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So a few thoughts

This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are. Xbox seriously over performed in terms of expectations

Spyro is going phenomenal

Combined November + December is going to see the PS4 down quite significantly YoY in terms of holiday performance. Sony prioritized profit over units but its still going to be quite a drop.

Any questions?

So what you're saying is we either need a Banjo Kazooie and Tooie remake, or a proper sequel, and not doing so is Microsoft potentially leaving bags of money at the table? :D

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is only the second time in history any 3 platforms achieved more than 1 million units sold in a November period, the first occurred in November 2010, when the Nintendo DS, Wii and Xbox 360 achieved the feat.

Is revenue from the Switch ecosystem making up for the gap in units (or revenue) Nintendo used to sell overall?

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
PS4

1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Fallout 76*
  4. Battlefield V
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  7. Madden NFL 19
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. FIFA 19
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
XB1

1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Battlefield V
  4. Fallout 76*
  5. Madden NFL 19
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  8. FIFA 19
  9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  10. Forza Horizon 4
Switch

1. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  2. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Just Dance 2019
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Somebody just recently tried very hard to try and convince me Sony does not rely heavily on third party. I have said it before and I will say it again, Nintendo is the only one who sells hardware mainly based on exclusives. If Nintendo ever gets it's hardware back close to parity with the others it would be very interesting.

I'm kind of bummed too, I bought it (Gold edition and the last one).
First: Nintendo doesn't have those titles
Second: did you miss God of War and Spider-Man sales?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Even with RDR2, GTA V is still somehow selling and its ranking in top 20s and 10s.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a few thoughts

This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are. Xbox seriously over performed in terms of expectations

Spyro is going phenomenal

Combined November + December is going to see the PS4 down quite significantly YoY in terms of holiday performance. Sony prioritized profit over units but its still going to be quite a drop.

Any questions?
how bad did starlink sell?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Year to Date
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Madden NFL 19^
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. God of War 2018
  8. Monster Hunter: World
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Those 2 holding on quite well!
Only 2 exclusives in there!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how much less than New Vegas sold? Because selling less than New Vegas ( a spin off game released before peak Fallout hysteria), that doesn't seem too great to me. But this is only counting physical sales. Still, it shows how powerful the Fallout name is. And probably how badly Bethesda now tarnished it for the future.

Also, is there a big drop off from 2 to 3 on the chart? Because Fallout 76, while being number 3 in November, didn't even crack the top 10 year to date. While the first two games are number one and number two respectively year to date while also being one and two in november. I realize those two came out last month but if Fallout 76 is third in november you would think it would also crack the top 10 year to date. This is why without seeing physical numbers seeing a chart placement in the top 10 doesn't mean much to me.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Counting Pokémon games as separate titles is frustrating, any reason why so many do it?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I was told Fallout 76 was going to bomb.
You were told right.

Disregarding the obvious signs of disastrous sales (all those panicked >33% discounts in the first few weeks...oof), just look at the numbers. It sold worse than New Vegas in its first month. Keep in mind, Fallout 4 sold about triple what New Vegas did in their first months. And yes, I know that doesn't include all the people that bought it digitally (and are probably wishing they didn't...), but somehow it doesn't seem like those extra sales would be enough to close the gap.

Not to mention there seems to be a new fiasco every other day revolving around either 76's preorder bonuses, exorbitant microtransaction prices, the game itself in general, or some combination of those three. After the holidays, this game's sales are going to sink like a stone.

That's not to say Beth can't turn things around in the future, but for now: yeah, it's pretty much a bomb. I can't honestly classify it as anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was clear by mentioning it in my second sentence. I was referring to TLOU. GTAV is more of a straight port than a remaster.
Well, you're comparing LT sales across two platforms to two games that just came out this year. One of them came out 3 months ago.

I do think TLoU II will be on par with both of them though.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
any PSVR number? I hope it sell well.

According to Mat, not as well as expected?

Hmm, so is Mat saying that the race between PS4 and Switch is a lot closer than people are making it? Interesting. Either way, it's impressive that PS4 can even hold its ground against a holiday Nintendo with Pokemon and Smash Bros. at the same time.

Yeah, it seems that the data now shows that all consoles pretty close for the month of December (according to what Benji has said), so it seems it won't be a blowout by the Switch as many of us expected. In that case, the PS4 might take the title of best selling console of the year.

Edit. Seems that I read Benji wrong, and he meant November, no December.

Last edited:

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NwktRp7.jpg

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah, it seems that the data now shows that all consoles pretty close for the month of December (according to what Benji has said), so it seems it won't be a blowout by the Switch as many of us expected. In that case, the PS4 might take the title of best selling console of the year.

I don't think Benji commented on switch HW for December.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Yeah, it seems that the data now shows that all consoles pretty close for the month of December (according to what Benji has said), so it seems it won't be a blowout by the Switch as many of us expected. In that case, the PS4 might take the title of best selling console of the year. Deepthought_ may be right at the end.

I thought Benji was talking about November. Especially with the comment about how Xbox outperformed expectations. If he's talking about December, holy shit good job Xbox.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, you're comparing LT sales across two platforms to two games that just came out this year. One of them came out 3 months ago.

I do think TLoU II will be on par with both of them though.
No, I'm only using the PS4 version as a point of reference. We don't know the precise split, but the recent release of TLOUR having 16M players on PS4 alone implies that a large portion of the "17M" are from the PS4 version. TLOU2 has the potential to sell even greater, thus I would put it as a higher potential seller than God of War at the very least.

And I know I'm comparing LTD but I doubt both (GoW in particular) will surpass the >15M mark.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
nintendo is going exceptionally well. sony being able to hold on after 5 years on the market is pretty great. cant last forever though next year will be half as big as this year

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it seems that the data now shows that all consoles pretty close for the month of December (according to what Benji has said), so it seems it won't be a blowout by the Switch as many of us expected. In that case, the PS4 might take the title of best selling console of the year. Deepthought_ may be right at the end.
Wrong. Check post #267 by Benji.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I don't think Benji commented on switch HW for December.
I thought Benji was talking about November. Especially with the comment about how Xbox outperformed expectations. If he's talking about December, holy shit good job Xbox.

Maybe he can clarify? His quote is "This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are", I am basing this on his use of "are" (as in right now, December) instead of were (as in, last month)

Wrong. Check post #267 by Benji.

That's the post I am referring. I took he meant "This month" as December, no as last month, November.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Here is the full hardware ranking by unit sales for anyone interested.

1. PS4
2. Switch
3. XB1
4. 3DS
5. Soulja Game Console

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PSVR had some great bundles late November and continues to offer good deals so I expect December to be pretty good.

Here is the full hardware ranking by unit sales for anyone interested.

1. PS4
2. Switch
3. XB1
4. 3DS
5. Soulja Game Console

If Switch won by dollar amount does that mean the PS4 Pro isn't selling that hot? Sony didn't have great deals for the Pro and I imagine the Spiderman $199 bundle dominated.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
How many units is the PS4 up so far this year? I know we expect Switch will easily take December, but based on Mat's comments maybe Dec is closer than expected, or the gap is larger than expected.