• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Benji id really like some insight on PSVR. I know it's not going to light charts on fire but is there any more momentum with the recent software and discounts pushing the hardware? How is it doing now with the holiday promotion?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS might be the most impressive even if technically they finished just a tad below the other two in units sold.

XBox brand is still quite strong in the US and XBox One X has really turned things around for them.

Tbh I agree. I thought that Xbox One would have a steeper decline YoY considering it was going against the X launch last year but it over performed imo

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Price promotions are working wonders for BFV

Its launch was really muted but has since legged pretty well considering the soft launch thanks to deep discounts.

Still not a good thing for EA overall as they are having to resort to driving down prices to move units but it's not quite the disaster it could have been looking at just pre-orders / launch sales
Almost all big games see discounts this time of year, it's nothing new and not necessarily a sign of the games performance. Even #1 on the list is on sale for $30-$40 at multiple places right now. Happens every year.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here is the full hardware ranking by unit sales for anyone interested.

1. PS4
2. Switch
3. XB1
4. 3DS
5. Soulja Game Console

The amusing thing is that the Soulja Boy console is just a Chinese emulator knock off you can buy off AliExpress that he's re-named and is selling for a higher margin. His console is the exact same one being sold, and he's even used the same images and promotional material as they do on their listing. Either way, I doubt he actually has the licencing etc for the games he's selling with the machine, so it's likely a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Edit: Just noticed there's already a thread on it lol.

Oct 26, 2017
So a few thoughts

This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are. Xbox seriously over performed in terms of expectations

Spyro is going phenomenal

Combined November + December is going to see the PS4 down quite significantly YoY in terms of holiday performance. Sony prioritized profit over units but its still going to be quite a drop.

Any questions?

How has Crash sold on Switch vs PS4 and XBO overall? It's regularly in the Switch Top 10 it seems so I'm very curious how it compares if you can offer any insight.

And honestly I'd love to know how Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania Plus have sold on Switch vs PS4 and XBO overall as well. Since Sonic has historically sold most on Nintendo hardware.

Thanks! :)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I know the market essentially ignored the wii U but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. That's also ignoring the 3DS. Not sure what you mean lol.
You said amazing turn around from last gen for Nintendo.

Last gen they were on fire. This gen is where they dropped the ball, but recovered with the Switch.

Wait a minute, some folks in here seriously forgot the Wii U started this gen?

Wow....

Or are we calling Switch 9th gen...we can. I have before. lol

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I think at this point sub 1 million is pretty likely. 2.5 million for switch would be best case scenario IMO but not necessarily impossible.
It's not literally impossible, of course. But it's super unlikely. A 2.5m December has only been achieved twice, once by PS2 and once by Wii. Switch is not as popular as either of those machines.

Beating PS4 for the year wouldn't require a 2.5m December, though, and is much more likely.

Used to sell when?
Switch is surely healtier than 3DS and WiiU combined in US.
Roughly, current 3DS + Switch revenue in the Americas is about 2.25x what 3DS+Wii U revenue was (approximately) launch-aligned. It's about half what DS+Wii revenue was in a comparable timeframe. Relative margins are bigger now (undoubtedly drive by high-margin amiibo, mobile, and eShop earnings).

How many units is the PS4 up so far this year? I know we expect Switch will easily take December, but based on Mat's comments maybe Dec is closer than expected, or the gap is larger than expected.
The gap is ~666k, not 800k as has been said a couple times in the thread.

It was evident from the onset that this Pokemon, regardless of the quality, was not for the hardcore Pokemon crowd. The hype for Pokemon was absolutely nowhere near where it usually is. This was clear by its sales.

Smash alone does not a year make.

Sony's hype machine was in full force with GoW, Spider-Man, Read Dead, Black Ops 4.

Switch doing as well as it has thus far is way more impressive, easily.
I could mention that Let's Go absolutely does not have sales "nowhere near where [Pokemon] usually is". Or that, yes, having the highest-selling exclusive game of all time could pretty much make a year just by itself (especially since Switch will only pass PS4 in the month of that game's release). But there's a larger point to make besides these errors.

Which is that no matter what the reasons for it, massive hardware numbers in year 5 are historically more difficult than massive numbers in year 2. Looking at the past two decades, there have been 3 year-two totals that meet or exceed what Switch will do. That's out of 9 machines (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, 360, PS3, Wii, WiiU, XB1, PS4), or 33%. But how many fifth years were above PS4's 2018? That's only 1 (the 360), or about 11%.*

*If you add handhelds, then both Switch year two and PS4 year five are beaten by one more entry each (GBA and DS, respectively).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ummm I mean the switch doesn't even have those titles to begin with so you wouldn't really know if First party will outsell the third party...
When was the last time we saw third party strong on a Nintendo platform where it got all the big multiplatform titles? SNES? NES?
Exactly.

How can we even compare?

Even with the 3rd parties on the Switch, Nintendo exclusives still dominate.

That's not Sony or MS relying on them, it's the chicken or egg scenario.

Let Nintendo build a comparable console to Sony or MS first, then have this conversation about relying on 3rd parties.

What type of argument is this, lol.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
voo7ms50lr221.jpg

Sharing the stage. <3

Phil looks so high, actually he always looks stoned in every meeting/preso lol

Reminds me of this fav meme lol

3975048.jpg

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost all big games see discounts this time of year, it's nothing new and not necessarily a sign of the games performance. Even #1 on the list is on sale for $30-$40 at multiple places right now. Happens every year.

BFV along with Fallout 76 saw steeper, faster, and more widespread price promotions than typical this time of year for a brand new release.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought BO4 selling less than WWII. No wonder Activision hasn't brag about it anymore.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I think Switch has 2018 locked down for unit sales in 2018.

Fallout doing "good" at retail. Would not be surprised if digital is +50%.

Spyro did insane to franchise history.

Also hardware sales were incredible this year. Xbox really did insane numbers. It had its second best November, only falling behind the One X launch month.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also yeah, if Activision hasnt already green lit a new entry Spyro game than I'm sure it's something they will be doing soon

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah? And what's the "typical" timeframe?

A game that is selling well doesn't usually get a 50% price cut within a week regardless of season.

$15 - $20 would be your typical drop if there is a discount that quickly for BF. $30 is not something that should be happening that rapidly

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Oh yeah? And what's the "typical" timeframe?
Sarcasm? A pre-planned promotional discount to $40 at 1 or 2 retailers is common after a few weeks. Rampant discounting to $30 within a week or two is something else. Consider BF1. It didn't get to $36 on PSN until 3 months after release. BFV is $30 on PSN already, 1 month after release. It was $36 for the last two weeks. BF1 didn't hit $30 on PSN until 4 months after release.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A game that is selling well doesn't usually get a 50% price cut within a week regardless of season.

$15 - $20 would be your typical drop if there is a discount that quickly for BF. $30 is not something that should be happening that rapidly
Cool. A sale isn't a price drop. There's a difference.

Black Ops 4 was also $30-$40 during the Thanksgiving time period. That shouldn't have happened, right?

And as dumb as it is, BFV had multiple release dates. Which one are you basing your claim on?

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I think Switch has 2018 locked down for unit sales in 2018.

Fallout doing "good" at retail. Would not be surprised if digital is +50%.

Spyro did insane to franchise history.

Also hardware sales were incredible this year. Xbox really did insane numbers. It had its second best November, only falling behind the One X launch month.

Mat's tweet earlier says it's a lot closer than people are stating. It should come down to the wire.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Black Ops 4 was also $30-$40 during the Thanksgiving time period. That shouldn't have happened, right?

And as dumb as it is, BFV had multiple release dates. Which one are you basing your claim on?
I see you're the arguing in bad faith sort. For someone so interested in release dates, you'd surely be aware this years CoD launched much earlier than normal, so it being discounted at Black Friday 5 weeks after release really isn't unusual, and it hasn't gone as cheap as BFV which launched a month after it.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tbh I agree. I thought that Xbox One would have a steeper decline YoY considering it was going against the X launch last year but it over performed imo

Do you have by chance any insight to Worldwide Sales?

I mean this shows us just that they do decently in the NA Market but what about Europe?
We know from Spain and Italy Software Charts even CoD,Fifa etc are basically dead on there and this is a general theme here for Microsoft.
This is where Sony basically got their insane lead from.

Did they improve in Europe(not just the UK!!!) or are they there as far behind as usual and not even a competitor for Nintendo and Sony?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The game has had consistent sales since it released with deep discounts. It hasn't just been one week or so or black Friday. It's hard to believe you're arguing the game has seen regular price promotion thus far. It has been anything but.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sarcasm? A pre-planned promotional discount to $40 at 1 or 2 retailers is common after a few weeks. Rampant discounting to $30 within a week or two is something else. Consider BF1. It didn't get to $36 on PSN until 3 months after release. BFV is $30 on PSN already, 1 month after release. It was $36 for the last two weeks. BF1 didn't hit $30 on PSN until 4 months after release.
I see you're the arguing in bad faith sort. For someone so interested in release dates, you'd surely be aware this years CoD launched much earlier than normal, so it being discounted at Black Friday 5 weeks after release really isn't unusual, and it hasn't gone as cheap as BFV which launched a month after it.
Cool. But what about physical sales? BF1 was still $30 on Black Friday last year. PSN isn't an accurate indicator of sales. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1-black-friday-2017-deals-all-the-sale/1100-6455093/

And yes, Black Ops 4 actually has gone as cheap as BFV and been on sale for $30. As recently as 5 days ago: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/369020-black-ops-4-best-buy-2999/?hl=+black

The game has had consistent sales since it released with deep discounts. It hasn't just been one week or so or black Friday. It's hard to believe you're arguing the game has seen regular price promotion thus far. It has been anything but.

Nah. It's pretty easy. Pretty much all big games are on sale consistently this time of year, every year.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the switch wins by a few hundred thousand units that's still close. Also does Mat get up to date data during the month or just data after the fact? I don't think we can really read too much into December numbers from that tweet.

Um you realize Mat works for the NPD right? Lol I'm not arguing that Switch is going to win December, however we've had people in here unironically state the Switch is going to sell almost a million units over the PS4 before Mat tweeted that the sales between Switch and PS4 are a lot closer than everyone was expecting. So it's going to be a photo finish.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Cool. But what about physical sales? BF1 was still $30 on Black Friday last year. PSN isn't an accurate indicator of sales. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1-black-friday-2017-deals-all-the-sale/1100-6455093/

And yes, Black Ops 4 actually has gone as cheap as BFV and been on sale for $30. As recently as 5 days ago: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/369020-black-ops-4-best-buy-2999/?hl=+black

Nah. It's pretty easy. Pretty much all big games are on sale consistently this time of year, every year.
CoD hasn't gone cheaper than $48 on PSN. BFV came out a month later and has already been $36 then $30 for several weeks. Look, either you're willing to accept reality or you aren't. Consider Hitman 2 also. We saw sales were down in UK massively and it was $30 here promptly after release. What a surprise, it didn't make the top 20. Let me guess, all perfectly normal you'll say?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Um you realize Mat works for the NPD right? Lol I'm not arguing that Switch is going to win December, however we've had people in here unironically state the Switch is going to sell almost a million units over the PS4 before Mat tweeted that the sales between Switch and PS4 are a lot closer than everyone was expecting. So it's going to be a photo finish.

Sorry, which tweet is this?

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
CoD hasn't gone cheaper than $48 on PSN. BFV came out a month later and has already been $36 then $30 for several weeks. Look, either you're willing to accept reality or you aren't. Consider Hitman 2 also. We saw sales were down in UK massively and it was $30 here promptly after release. What a surprise, it didn't make the top 20. Let me guess, all perfectly normal you'll say?
Why are you using PSN as the universal indicator?

I've already proven Black Ops 4 has gone on sale and been as cheap price as BFV, which you claimed it hadn't. Look, either you're willing to accept reality or you aren't.

And good point with Hitman. It was consistently on sale and didn't hit the top 20, yet BFV was number three (3). Guess sales (which aren't price drops) aren't actually the perfect indicator of how well a game is selling, huh?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the switch wins by a few hundred thousand units that's still close. Also does Mat get up to date data during the month or just data after the fact? I don't think we can really read too much into December numbers from that tweet.

I dont see any data until well after the month has closed. I didn't see the complete data for today's release until yesterday, for example.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

You didn't answer my question. I know Mat works for NPD but does that mean he gets regular updates of data on an ongoing basis or does he get the reported data at the end of the month.

I don't agree with your assessment of that tweet either. I still think it's entirely possible that the switch sells 1 million more than the PS4 in December.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Forza horizon 4 is £26 in the U.K. already is that considered a failure ? Be shocking if it is as it's the highest selling horizon game already !

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Doing a million better is a completely possible estimation when we expect PS4 to be down YoY and Switch to be up because of Smash.

I dont see any data until well after the month has closed. I didn't see the complete data for today's release until yesterday, for example.
Insert wellthereitis.gif

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's not literally impossible, of course. But it's super unlikely. A 2.5m December has only been achieved twice, once by PS2 and once by Wii. Switch is not as popular as either of those machines.

Beating PS4 for the year wouldn't require a 2.5m December, though, and is much more likely.

Roughly, current 3DS + Switch revenue in the Americas is about 2.25x what 3DS+Wii U revenue was (approximately) launch-aligned. It's about half what DS+Wii revenue was in a comparable timeframe. Relative margins are bigger now (undoubtedly drive by high-margin amiibo, mobile, and eShop earnings).

The gap is ~666k, not 800k as has been said a couple times in the thread.

I could mention that Let's Go absolutely does not have sales "nowhere near where [Pokemon] usually is". Or that, yes, having the highest-selling exclusive game of all time could pretty much make a year just by itself (especially since Switch will only pass PS4 in the month of that game's release). But there's a larger point to make besides these errors.

Which is that no matter what the reasons for it, massive hardware numbers in year 5 are historically more difficult than massive numbers in year 2. Looking at the past two decades, there have been 3 year-two totals that meet or exceed what Switch will do. That's out of 9 machines (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, 360, PS3, Wii, WiiU, XB1, PS4), or 33%. But how many fifth years were above PS4's 2018? That's only 1 (the 360), or about 11%.*

*If you add handhelds, then both Switch year two and PS4 year five are beaten by one more entry each (GBA and DS, respectively).

Thanks for confirming the gap, and other details. Seems more likely that Switch will indeed take Dec and the most units for 2018, but as the other poster noted in the end they both had an extremely good year.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My beginning of the year prediction of Switch leading in both units and dollars this year is one I'm sticking with, but I can see a bunch of potential scenarios possibly playing out.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but it would be the only to get close since the SNES. Assuming we are ignoring handhelds.
Oh of course, it's the closest after the PlayStation came out, but it's still not quite close enough, with how many major 3rd party titles it missed out on. Granted, the GameCube had other problems that hurt it as well