• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
My dream for next NPD thread and all the others going forward would be to have a modified soundclip of Starcraft saying "NPD good to go sir!" in the OP.

Oct 26, 2017
Still won despite those other games you mentioned. I remember since there was a lot of salt over that.

That and a lot of Zelda games actually don't win a lot of awards like Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and almost all the handheld games. Out of the Zelda games: Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild got a lot of rewards.

Not counting Zelda 1 to Link to the Past since those games predate mainstream awards.
A Nintendo game winning any award in general will naturally bring out a lot of salt :P

There is that but I'd argue that, considering the prestige the series holds, it's a bit odd that their main 3D entries aren't as big contenders for GotY as you'd think they would

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
A Nintendo game winning any award in general will naturally bring out a lot of salt :P

There is that but I'd argue that, considering the prestige the series holds, it's a bit odd that their main 3D entries aren't as big contenders for GotY as you'd think they would

Within the game community, Zelda is a giant broken base. Like some believe the last good Zelda before Breath of the Wild was Ocarina of Time. While some extremes claim only the first game was good.

The only game community more broken is Final Fantasy. Another series that really don't get many awards despite its prestige.

That and overall, most GOTY tend to go to western games with few exceptions like 3D Mario and Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Within the game community, Zelda is a giant broken base. Like some believe the last good Zelda before Breath of the Wild was Ocarina of Time. While some extremes claim only the first game was good.

The only game community more broken is Final Fantasy. Another series don't really don't get many awards despite its prestige.

That and overall, most GOTY tend to go to western games with few exceptions like 3D Mario Metal Gear Solid.
I won't deny that, albeit I don't think the fanbase is as split as people would have you believe

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
And Skyward Sword hardly hurt the brand when it still was the fastest selling Zelda game even when Nintendo left the Wii to die in 2011.
This says WAY more about trends at retail (better product reach on day one) than it does about the game's impact on the brand pre-BotW.

It's how well the game sells AFTER launch that tells you how well it was received.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This says WAY more about trends at retail (better product reach on day one) than it does about the game's impact on the brand pre-BotW.

It's how well the game sells AFTER launch that tells you how well it was received.

Skyward Sword sold after Nintendo abandoned the Wii in 2011 to focused in the 3DS. It was never going to sell as well as it could if it was launched in 2010. Breath of the Wild is very lucky to launch on the Switch and not in 2016 on the dead Wii U.

That and Zelda had several other games before Breath of the Wild that came out after Skyward Sword that sold and reviewed well. So how did Skyward Sword hurt the brand? That and Skyward Sword's 'backlash' was nothing compared to Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Especially Phantom Hourglass which caused a melt down for the lack of using a D-pad. Or Wind Waker whose meltdown is the stuff of legends and why Twilight Princess was made the way it was.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're forgetting the threat of Nintendo completely losing the script and the headline software trending more toward stuff no one really wants, which was also a big problem for Wii in 2010-11.
Wii shipped over 17m in 2010 and launched huge sellers like Mario Galaxy 2, Wii Party, DKCR, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Just Dance 2, etc. That wasn't exactly a problem year.

2011 was when things really took a dive but that was partially because Nintendo shifted to 3DS dev internally and many 3rd parties moved support over to Kinect. Switch won't be in that position for probably 3 more years and iterative hardware might even obfuscate that transition more.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much any other type of #s or stats they could have bragged about (like Spidey.) But like Benji said, we're for the others to drop their PR so complete the rest of the puzzle.
What puzzle? It's clear that Switch is going to be best selling console in USA. Worldwide i'm not sure if we'are talking about sell through , but shipments should be higher.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Piecing together the whole sales story is what these threads are all about. Sony provided the pieces that they can tout to make themselves look good, therefore we need the other pieces, etc.
Sorry , i really don't understand. Maybe i missed something in this thread, don't have a lot time to check the forum these days.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
https://gematsu.com/2019/01/ps4-wor...ion-marvels-spider-man-sales-top-nine-million
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2019/190108.html

The recent report that mentioned Sony selling 5.6 million units during holiday worldwide seems to point towards a very weak december for them in the US.

How does that point to a weak December? 5.6 million is right in line with some of the best holidays the PS4 has ever had.
  • Holiday 2013: 4.2m
  • Holiday 2014: 4.1m
  • Holiday 2015: 5.7m
  • Holiday 2016: 6.2m
  • Holiday 2017: 5.9m
  • Holiday 2018: 5.6m
Guess it depends on what the breakdown is between US and EU/Asia sales.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
How does that point to a weak December? 5.6 million is right in line with some of the best holidays the PS4 has ever had.

• Holiday 2013: 4.2m
  • Holiday 2014: 4.1m
  • Holiday 2015: 5.7m
  • Holiday 2016: 6.2m
  • Holiday 2017: 5.9m
  • Holiday 2018: 5.6m

Guess it depends on what the breakdown is between US and EU/Asia sales.

Beacuse 5.6m include Black Friday and Sony this year had a very huge Black Friday with their bundles and price cuts.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Beacuse 5.6m include Black Friday and Sony this year had a very huge Black Friday with their bundles and price cuts.

You're exactly right. Sony has done an excellent job keeping momentum this gen but I think 2019 will see some of the lowest numbers for them in a while. They should still have a pretty successful launch of the PS5 in 2020 and I'm really excited to see what they have planned.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Quick question, is Black Ops 4 still the best selling game this year?

Red Dead 2 is said to have sold close to $20 million units, so BO4 is above or close to $20 million units sold as well, right?

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You're exactly right. Sony has done an excellent job keeping momentum this gen but I think 2019 will see some of the lowest numbers for them in a while. They should still have a pretty successful launch of the PS5 in 2020 and I'm really excited to see what they have planned.
The question is if and when they cut the price in 2019 to keep the numbers high.

Software wise I don't see an issue, the lineup is amazing right from january onwards.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't want to play Captain Obvious and I respect your remark. However, this is an NPD thread. We speak specifically about the sales in North America during the last three months.
If you read the thread then you'd see people actually talk about everything here even if it's NPD, the numbers they have provided don't tell you how they have done in the US anyways.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
It likely means PS4 is in the 700kish range it points to a very low December

Will be interesting to see the Nov + Dec figures for all 3, as I suggested before - I suspect the PS4 sales were very front loaded this year due to the black Friday deal...so a good way to compare the demand over the festive period will be to put November and December together IMO...that way we'll get a fairer reflection on how PS4 has done this holiday.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Software wise I don't see an issue, the lineup is amazing right from january onwards.
Not really. For know, Sony has nothing as big as God of War and Spider-Man for 2019. It's possible that The Last of Us Part II (bigger) or Death Stranding (smaller) release in 2019, but we don't know yet. And in 2019, there isn't anything as big as Red Dead Redemption II.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
If you read the thread then you'd see people actually talk about everything here even if it's NPD, the numbers they have provided don't tell you how they have done in the US anyways.
So why object to the part of the discussion actually relevant to this thread ? I agree though that the worldwide numbers do not help us have a precise estimation of the amount of PS4 sold last december in the US. However, they help us have a pretty good idea of the range, as mentioned by Benji. Thus, they are... kinda relevant. But they shouldn't be the sole focus of posts in the thread. I agree on that.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not really. For know, Sony has nothing as big as God of War and Spider-Man for 2019. It's possible that The Last of Us Part II (bigger) or Death Stranding (smaller) release in 2019, but we don't know yet. And in 2019, there isn't anything as big as Red Dead Redemption II.
We have Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 right in january. Followed by Days Gone, Metro Exodus, Sekiro, Devil May Cry and others in February, March and April.

We don't know much about the second part of 2019 yet but I'm willing to bet that it's gonna be packed once again.