• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While we're talking about the Wii, could Pachter's Wii HD have been possible or were they just stuck with SD and nothing could change that apart from a full-on successor? The way the Wii's last few years were wasted is pretty frustrating.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
While we're talking about the Wii, could Pachter's Wii HD have been possible or were they just stuck with SD and nothing could change that apart from a full-on successor? The way the Wii's last few years were wasted is pretty frustrating.

The Wii was more or less abandoned for the 3DS and then the Wii U. Nintendo has always done this with its consoles and handhelds. The DS was the least noticeable since it was still getting a ton of 3rd party Japanese support after Nintendo left it high and dry.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Not technologically possible.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

"Pachters Wii HD" - like he had a patent on the idea or was the only one thinking that Nintendo should release a HD system xD

And no Nintendo wasnt in any position to develop HD games for such a system and the same old PS2/Wii level games in HD wouldnt have resulted in more support or higher numbers.

The Wii U - as a system just called Wii 2, continuing the original philosophy of a affordable system (250 bucks), with 360 level hardware and a Wii Sports like bundle game could have performed very well in 2011 though. Especially with Skyward Sword HD as an extra.

This would have given them 2 years before PS4/One to establish themselves in the HD space....well, but then again they also had to save the 3DS around that time..so....yeah.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii was more or less abandoned for the 3DS and then the Wii U. Nintendo has always done this with its consoles and handhelds. The DS was the least noticeable since it was still getting a ton of 3rd party Japanese support after Nintendo left it high and dry.

Yeah, frankly, people said the advantages of having just one system meant more big games per year, which we haven't really seen, but I hope it means more big games in the Switch's later years to keep up the momentum. Nintendo systems collapse once the big studios move on to the next system, and it sucks.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
User banned (permanent): History of platform warring, tried to circumvent ban with alt account.
The ps4 will sell less than 10 million in 2019.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, frankly, people said the advantages of having just one system meant more big games per year, which we haven't really seen, but I hope it means more big games in the Switch's later years to keep up the momentum. Nintendo systems collapse once the big studios move on to the next system, and it sucks.

Yeah the "unified" development has not produced nearly as much as I expected so far - especially in the smaller game space (dillons western, hana samurai, pushmo etc)

Does nintendo intentionally not create smaller games anymore with all indie-support? Afraid to take their market?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

I atill cannot believe how poorly it sold in the end. it managed to sell 26 million In just 1 year ! The Wii was destined to overtake the PS2. But Nintendo managed that success soooo badly.

I agree with Pachter on that one. A Wii HD would have changed things. But maybe it's for the better that it did not happen, or we would have never had the Switch...

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
The ps4 will sell less than 10 million in 2019.
giphy.gif

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
What's a Wii HD though? A HD consoles that play Wii games on SD and needs specially developed software with vastly different development tools? That's a Wii U. A console that plays Wii games on HD and would easilly migrate SD games to the new era? That wasn't feasible at the time and now only is due emulation.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I atill cannot believe how poorly it sold in the end. it managed to sell 26 million In just 1 year ! The Wii was destined to overtake the PS2. But Nintendo managed that success soooo badly.

I agree with Pachter on that one. A Wii HD would have changed things. But maybe it's for the better that it did not happen, or we would have never had the Switch...

I thing this post explained it best on the Wii HD.

"Pachters Wii HD" - like he had a patent on the idea or was the only one thinking that Nintendo should release a HD system xD

And no Nintendo wasnt in any position to develop HD games for such a system and the same old PS2/Wii level games in HD wouldnt have resulted in more support or higher numbers.

The Wii U - as a system just called Wii 2, continuing the original philosophy of a affordable system (250 bucks), with 360 level hardware and a Wii Sports like bundle game could have performed very well in 2011 though. Especially with Skyward Sword HD as an extra.

This would have given them 2 years before PS4/One to establish themselves in the HD space....well, but then again they also had to save the 3DS around that time..so....yeah.

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah the "unified" development has not produced nearly as much as I expected so far - especially in the smaller game space (dillons western, hana samurai, pushmo etc)

Does nintendo intentionally not create smaller games anymore with all indie-support? Afraid to take their market?

I think they have just absorbed the freed up resources in order to develop the bigger kinds of games we hope for when Nintendo announces their next Switch exclusive. This year will be telling, though.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
User Warned: Personal attack.
Is Westcoast and MONSTER the same person?

One gets banned, then the other continues posting...

I'm thinking 15-ish million for the PlayStation 4, a shy over 22 million for the Switch, especially with Animal Crossing and a proper Pokémon game in mind, and 6 million for the Xbox One (3½ in North America alone).

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017

Good point. The Nintendo still had to deal with the transitional period for its next portable systems, and that would have been painful regardless of a Wii HD. At the end, Nintendo had to restructure its approach and let the Wii go to become the revived powerhouse that we are seeing now.

Switch and ps4 seems to be doing well early on in Jan. Nothing ground breaking or huge. Just moving a long.

Xbox... is just.... there.

Hmm, interesting. Can Xbox's performance be compared to how the PS4 was in relation to the Switch and Xbox in December?

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Now he is trolling! His whole account is a troll account. He just returned from a ban and he is picking fights with other members and doubling down on stupid arguments that got him banned in the first place.
Was literally about to say this. Gets really frustrating sometimes.

Anywho..... Deader2818 thanks Again for the insight. Do you think switch is tracking to be up YOY for January so far?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any comment on PS4 or Switch? :D

Switch was best selling platform week 1

But I'm going to be much more vague about all this in the coming months as a heads up. Holidays was fun to get everything exciting but no need to give everything early in the slow times.

Make the prediction threads wild again

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch was best selling platform week 1

But I'm going to be much more vague about all this in the coming months as a heads up. Holidays was fun to get everything exciting but no need to give everything early in the slow times.

Make the prediction threads wild again

I gotcha, totally understandable. Gotta drip feed the content in the dry months!

Gonna enjoy your beer and game this weekend it looks like from your twitter?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any comment on PS4 or Switch? :D

Anecdotes and all that but I went to Best Buy for the first time in years (usually I'm not in the States, and I buy everything online anyway) but I saw two people buy Switches while I was just browsing the games section and when I was leaving the store some old confused guy walked in asking about Switches. So that's like 2.3 sold today at least. I didn't see any other consoles sold, the entire place was basically empty. Kind of eerie.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotcha, totally understandable. Gotta drip feed the content in the dry months!

Gonna enjoy your beer and game this weekend it looks like from your twitter?

Haha yep. I'm feeding the baby right now, then gonna put her down to sleep.

I'm snowed in this weekend so gonna crack open a few Blue Moons and get some gaming in 😁

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both are ultra-violent M-rated games. They're aiming for the same demographic. The Last of Us is one of the most beloved games in recent memory. And its sequel is going to move hardware.

We have this type of discussion with almost every major upcoming release ("everyone who wants this game already owns x console") and it's never true.
If it's the same demographic why would you expect TLoU2 to move hardware? If it's the same demographic wouldn't most ppl that tlou2 appeals to already have a PS4 since they likely played gow 2? Especially this late in the console's life?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My uncle bought his daughters a switch with 3 games.

Mario Odyessy
Mario Kart 8 deluxe &
Mario + Rabbids.

I think Mario sells.

Funnily enough. I let them borrow my copy of Breath of the Wild and that's there favorite game.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed this in other stores, too. I mean, I guess it makes sense since we're in the post holiday period, but it's jarring after the hustle and bustle of the shopping season.

Also I spend most of my time in Asia where there is actual population density. Weird to be in a store with no lines and only a handful of people around.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotes and all that but I went to Best Buy for the first time in years (usually I'm not in the States, and I buy everything online anyway) but I saw two people buy Switches while I was just browsing the games section and when I was leaving the store some old confused guy walked in asking about Switches. So that's like 2.3 sold today at least. I didn't see any other consoles sold, the entire place was basically empty. Kind of eerie.

The Target in KoP is practically depleted of most desirable Switch games and even the non-desirable ones. But they got a Labo restock.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Target in KoP is practically depleted of most desirable Switch games and even the non-desirable ones. But they got a Labo restock.

Everyone's been talking about hardware lately

But Switch software sales for December is going to be one hell of a headline. Hope MatPiscatella breaks it out into it's own highlight

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The rule for Nintendo systems is always the same.
Whenever a Nintendo console sell like crazy, Nintendo software will follow with crazy sales.
A big chunk of the total software sales on Nintendo consoles are owned by Nintendo's games.

Expect very very strong software shipment sales when Nintendo will announce the results for the past quarter.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's been talking about hardware lately

But Switch software sales for December is going to be one hell of a headline. Hope MatPiscatella breaks it out into it's own highlight

Yeah, hardware is the one that would actually be challenging for Nintendo to miss, not that it would make a big difference if they only wind up selling 18-19 million FY anyway. But their 100M software goal was always getting Smash'd. :)

It is really crazy though, I haven't seen barren shelves for stuff even in the holidays in a few years. It's insane.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the same demographic why would you expect TLoU2 to move hardware? If it's the same demographic wouldn't most ppl that tlou2 appeals to already have a PS4 since they likely played gow 2? Especially this late in the console's life?

Even within the same demographic, not everyone likes the same games.

I can't fathom that some of you actually believe a new game from Naughty Dog won't be a significant hardware mover.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even within the same demographic, not everyone likes the same games.

I can't believe some of you actually don't believe a AAA game from Naughty Dog won't be a significant hardware mover.

PS4 is at end of life. It's really hard to imagine after Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, and Spider-Man that there are significant amounts of customers that haven't purchased a system by this point. It will have an uptick for sure, but significant? That's going to be difficult. Especially since I'm thinking LoU 2 will be a cross-gen launch game with PS4 ala BotW.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 is at end of life. It's really hard to imagine after Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, and Spider-Man that there are significant amounts of customers that haven't purchased a system by this point. It will have an uptick for sure, but significant? That's going to be difficult. Especially since I'm thinking LoU 2 will be a cross-gen launch game with PS4 ala BotW.

It's not going to move hardware like Sony's biggest software in 2018 did, but it will still move significant units considering the stage of PS4's life cycle.

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing was said about all the games you listed though.

TLoU II will almost surely move systems.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same thing was said about all the games you listed though.

TLoU II will almost surely move systems.

Uncharted 4 was the first Naughty dog game on the PS4, Horizon was an unknown until positive reviews came out, God of War got critically praised across the board and was a series that was stagnant, and Spider-Man was an unknown until shortly before launch, ask Benji, he commented on GoW and Spider-Man pre-orders this year.

I can't imagine there's many people that loved Last of Us on PS3 and hasn't gotten a PS4 in the 5+ years it's been out. Spike during launch month, sure. Significant mover of hardware? Not so sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 was the first Naughty dog game on the PS4, Horizon was an unknown until positive reviews came out, God of War got critically praised across the board and was a series that was stagnant, and Spider-Man was an unknown until shortly before launch, ask Benji, he commented on GoW and Spider-Man pre-orders this year.

I can't imagine there's many people that loved Last of Us on PS3 and hasn't gotten a PS4 in the 5+ years it's been out. Spike during launch month, sure. Significant mover of hardware? Not so sure.
Right, I figured we were just talking about a spike around launch. That was the same sort of thing we saw for most of these launches. I wasn't suggesting it would be an explosion of hardware or anything like that.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I figured we were just talking about a spike around launch. That was the same sort of thing we saw for most of these launches. I wasn't suggesting it would be an explosion of hardware or anything like that.

Okay, gotcha. When I see significant hardware mover I would point to how Fortnite helped boost console (and accessory) sales in the first half of 2018 (again according to Benji and Mat).

LoU is gonna sell 10 million minimum copies of software anyway. Can't wait. :)