• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us will definitely push some consoles

But that's coming so late in the consoles life cycle its effect will be damped somewhat

And tbh it might not be until 2020

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, gotcha. When I see significant hardware mover I would point to how Fortnite helped boost console (and accessory) sales in the first half of 2018 (again according to Benji and Mat).

LoU is gonna sell 10 million minimum copies of software anyway. Can't wait. :)
I see what you're saying.

I believe in 2019! 🙌

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
I actually surprised Nintendo didn't say anything since that tame "3 million for Smash in US" announcement. I wonder if that game is close to or beyond 4 million sold by now maybe even without counting digital sales.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually surprised Nintendo didn't say anything since that tame "3 million for Smash in US" announcement. I would expect that game to be close to or beyond 4 million sold by now.

Yeah I'm hoping they release some PR on Smash and Hardware next week

But given how off their PR was for November maybe best not to cause confusion lol

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm hoping they release some PR on Smash and Hardware next week

But given how off their PR was for November maybe best not to cause confusion lol
For some reason, Nintendo prefers to be extremely conservative with the given numbers. It's like they enjoy people being extremely surprised when the real numbers are discovered.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, Nintendo prefers to be extremely conservative with the given numbers. It's like they enjoy people being extremely surprised when the real numbers are discovered.
I still remember their fucking PR for december 2009
Nintendo estimates that December sales in the United States [for the wii] will exceed 3 million units.
Nintendo estimates that the [Nintendo DS] set a new all-time calendar-year U.S. sales record for any console or hand-held system. [previous record was 9.9m]
Actual results:

Wii 3.81M
Nintendo DS 3.31M

NDS for the year ended at over 11.2 M

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did we ever figure out why they posted numbers like that?

Idk, they just like to be crazy conservative. Threw me for a loop for sure because before their PR I was confident they were way over 1 million

My guess is Nintendo just likes to play it safe. Easier to be conservative and then let the actual numbers surprise than to be overly optimistic.
But I'm really not sure how they came to that conclusion on their last PR, was really weird

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Yeah, hardware is the one that would actually be challenging for Nintendo to miss, not that it would make a big difference if they only wind up selling 18-19 million FY anyway. But their 100M software goal was always getting Smash'd. :)

It is really crazy though, I haven't seen barren shelves for stuff even in the holidays in a few years. It's insane.
Dumb question, and slightly off topic, but their software goals include all software sales right? As in: digital only games, digital + physical sales of first party games, and digital + physical sales of third party games?

Edit: Benji at least we know for sure going forward that we/you shouldn't doubt your insights in light of Nintendo PR. Even if it might sound weird on the surface to doubt Nintendo sales talk from Nintendo themselves lol

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on how things are looking early in January? I know there will be a steep drop, but will be interesting to see how each console starts the new year.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, and slightly off topic, but their software goals include all software sales right? As in: digital only games, digital + physical sales of first party games, and digital + physical sales of third party games?
Physical retail and digital games that have retail releases. Digital only games aren't included in their given totals.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW sales peeps

Love you all, thanks for always being on this ride with me! You guys don't know how much this community has meant to me through all the years, from the Era days, back on the GAF days

.....and the forums I frequented before

Love and respect for my sales friends so much

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 and Switch are steady and normal (Switch was the best selling for the first week).
Xbox is really bad for now.

Thanks! Been busy and hard to keep up.

Just saw Benji posted in the Dec prediction thread that Xbox is looking like a sharp drop early in January (or something along those lines).

Edit: thanks to you Benji and all the others that share information and provide valuable discussion and insight.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Physical retail and digital games that have retail releases. Digital only games aren't included in their given totals.
Thankyou for the reply, appreciate it. With how low their forecast is compared to reality I was beginning to wonder if it didn't include digital or tp or something lol.

BTW sales peeps

Love you all, thanks for always being on this ride with me! You guys don't know how much this community has meant to me through all the years, from the Era days, back on the GAF days

.....and the forums I frequented before

Love and respect for my sales friends so much
I know I'm relatively new and also not anyone notable. But I wanted to say Thankyou for not only keeping these threads - and therefore my downtime - interesting, but for also being a very genuine and honest person. Not once have you been rude, or anything other than helpful, even when so many can be rude to you. I'm so glad to have you around :)

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
nintendo is downplaying sales results in their PR primarily to justify cutting bonus payments for lower and middle management.

Where did you come up with this conspiracy theory? In the real world, companies have thoroughly audited financial results and bonuses are paid (or not paid) based on the performance against a defined budget (not accounting for bonuses that could be paid at management's discretion). And companies typically pay bonuses based on overall measures such as GP, EBITDA, etc.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you come up with this conspiracy theory? In the real world, companies have thoroughly audited financial results and bonuses are paid (or not paid) based on the performance against a defined budget (not accounting for bonuses that could be paid at management's discretion). And companies typically pay bonuses based on overall measures such as GP, EBITDA, etc.

That's just what they want you to think.

Open your eyes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The big Sony exclusives should also push people to upgrade to the Pro, so it isn't just a matter of pushing the base console.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's software forecast doesn't include quantity bundled with hardware.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding this whole Nintendo counts all software including digital if they have a retail release.

They do include historic sales? For instance the retail Minecraft was released in june this year - do they count all digital prior to that one? And the most crazy one.. fortnite got a retail release would they include digital downloads of fortnite? or perhaps just the frozen bundle sales or whatever it was called heh..

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
well, of course you are right as long as we'd talk about upper management, the elite who actually brings forward the company and has superior access, capabilities and a longer attention span. for minor peasants in the organization sheet, a well-placed pr statement will generally do the job as they don't get the difference anyway and forget quickly what it was all about.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Nintendo don't downplay their data. they only share what is already on the ocean adding the words "more than"

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Piecing together the whole sales story is what these threads are all about. Sony provided the pieces that they can tout to make themselves look good, therefore we need the other pieces, etc.
PS4 is matching sales graph aligned to launch of PS2, the best selling home console ever. In fact it's slightly above. They are also in track of being the console with the best selling 6th FY ever.

They have a 2019 year packed with a ton of great games so PS4 will have great sales again, and if at some point they have a price drop even more.

It did 20 million once.
It won't be close to 20 million anymore.
I see 12 million next year and 8 million after that.

But I agree, 120 should be fine. I expect 125 to 127
- 2019 : 104 million total
- 2020 : 112 million total
- 2021 : 118 million total
- 2022 to 2025 : 125-27 million LTD
No, PS4 is on track to reach 120 million at the end of 2020, around PS5 release. And it will keep selling "well" during 3-4 years more if PS5 is BC with PS4 games, as it seems that it's going to be the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Does anybody have any educated guess to explain why Nintendo don't include digital only games sales in their software sales?. I don't understand either why they don't share digital sales data with NPD and other similar trackers all around the world. Even if their digital ratio is lower than Sony's and Microsoft's, the bigger sales number the better PR, right?.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
At some point, these systems start declining in sales.

Some sooner than others.

For the PS4, it's inevitable. It's the Circle of Life.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have any educated guess to explain why Nintendo don't include digital only games sales in their software sales?. I don't understand either why they don't share digital sales data with NPD and other similar trackers all around the world. Even if their digital ratio is lower than Sony's and Microsoft's, the bigger sales number the better PR, right?.

This is something I've been asking for a long time, and I still have no idea. Maybe they don't want to inflate their unit sales numbers while their overall sales revenue per unit number will drop (average price of digital only software is way lower than physical)? That's my best guess at the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is something I've been asking for a long time, and I still have no idea. Maybe they don't want to inflate their unit sales numbers while their overall sales revenue per unit number will drop (average price of digital only software is way lower than physical)? That's my best guess at the moment.

Does anybody care about that?. I mean, I have never seen that stat discussed regarding PS4 or XB1 numbers. Also, software revenue includes DLC, MT's, loot boxes and so on, right?. It would not be as easy as just dividing sales revenue by units sold to obtain an useful average.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think the NPD Top 10 software for December will include: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 DX, Super Mario Party, Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu, and possibly Super Mario Odyssey and/or Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Eevee will be right outside the Top 10. I think it will look something like this:

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
4. Super Mario Party
5. Mario Kart 8 DX
6. Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu
7. Battlefield V
8. NBA 2k19
9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
10. Super Mario Odyssey
11. Fallout 76
12. Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee
13. Madden NFL 19
14. Just Cause 4
15. FIFA 19
16. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
18. Marvel's Spider-Man
19. Grand Theft Auto V
20. Just Dance 2019
Did we ever figure out why they posted numbers like that?
Idk, they just like to be crazy conservative. Threw me for a loop for sure because before their PR I was confident they were way over 1 million

My guess is Nintendo just likes to play it safe. Easier to be conservative and then let the actual numbers surprise than to be overly optimistic.
But I'm really not sure how they came to that conclusion on their last PR, was really weird
I like my original theory that they simply added the Black Friday week sales to the end of October NPD and didn't consider the weeks before Black Friday in November.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why does all sales threads become sony vs nintendo

to my eyes they are both doing well

ERA is in a constant state of fight for its soul

meanwhile XBOX fans are sitting in the corner like

giphy.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody care about that?. I mean, I have never seen that stat discussed regarding PS4 or XB1 numbers. Also, software revenue includes DLC, MT's, loot boxes and so on, right?. It would not be as easy as just dividing sales revenue by units sold to obtain an useful average.

Like I said I have no idea why they do that or if that's the case, that's just my best guess at the moment. Maybe they think investors care about revenue per unit of software sold?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding this whole Nintendo counts all software including digital if they have a retail release.

They do include historic sales? For instance the retail Minecraft was released in june this year - do they count all digital prior to that one? And the most crazy one.. fortnite got a retail release would they include digital downloads of fortnite? or perhaps just the frozen bundle sales or whatever it was called heh..
I have wondered this as well and haven't seen an answer. More and more games are getting late physical releases as well.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Do you really think that my 125/127 million units prediction for the PS4 lifetime is underestimating the potential legs of the console ? I would disagree.

The Wii sold 90 million units faster than the PS4 did if I'm not wrong. I'm pretty sure that back in the day in 2010 or 2011, everybody was expecting the Wii to sell much more than 101 million units lifetime... I remember we were talking about the Wii catching the PS2 ! You remember that ? It did not happen. Actually, the Wii just sold 15 million units in its last 3 major fiscal years ( FY11, FY12 and FY13 )...

I'm not saying in any way that PS4 will get such a drop of course. But I think we should not expect a small decline. The decline could be more dratic than we expect. So from 18 million to 12 million, it could happen.

Using the Wii as an example is not a great move.

Last of Us will definitely push some consoles

But that's coming so late in the consoles life cycle its effect will be damped somewhat

And tbh it might not be until 2020

Could be interesting if LoU2 launched with PS5!

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
PS4 is matching sales graph aligned to launch of PS2, the best selling home console ever. In fact it's slightly above. They are also in track of being the console with the best selling 6th FY ever.

They have a 2019 year packed with a ton of great games so PS4 will have great sales again, and if at some point they have a price drop even more.

No, PS4 is on track to reach 120 million at the end of 2020, around PS5 release. And it will keep selling "well" during 3-4 years more if PS5 is BC with PS4 games, as it seems that it's going to be the case.

The Wii was way ahead of the PS2 at some point and it barely passed the 100 million mark. I think the PS2 huge sales were helped by a very slow start for the PS3. Again, not saying the PS4 is the Wii, just that a sharper decline than expected is possible

So you expect the PS4 to sell like 30 million until late 2020 ? I don't see that possible. That would be barely a decline. But the decline will happen because games are going to be move on next gen soon. And consumers interest will decline as well because of current gen fatigue. We forget it, but this happened with the 360 and PS3, they had a pretty brutal decline with the next gen.

We ALL agree that next gen will happen in 2020 ( yes I'm leaving the team 2019 officially now ). But maybe it could be Spring 2020 and not Holiday 2020. The incredible launch of the Switch could inspire Sony or Microsoft ( or even both ).

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Switch was best selling platform week 1

But I'm going to be much more vague about all this in the coming months as a heads up. Holidays was fun to get everything exciting but no need to give everything early in the slow times.

Make the prediction threads wild again
No surprise there. Switch already sold the most last January and Nintendo have Smash momentum this year. It should be an easy win for Switch in January.