• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
State of the market

November 2020 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories reached a November record $7.0 billion, 35% higher when compared to a year ago.

YTD spending totaled $44.5 billion, 22% higher than the same time period in 2019.

Content

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War
was November's best-selling game, and instantly becomes the best-selling game of 2020 year-to-date. It also ranks first on both PlayStation and Xbox platforms for the month of November and YTD.
This is the 13th consecutive year a Call of Duty game has ranked as the best-selling game of its release month.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla debuted as the 2nd best-selling game of November and is the 7th best-selling game year to date. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla achieved the highest launch month sales for an Assassin's Creed franchise title since Assassin's Creed III in 2012.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was the 3rd best-selling game of November, while ranking 2nd on PlayStation platforms. Launch month sales were the second highest amongst superhero games on PlayStation platforms in U.S. history, trailing only Marvel's Spider-Man.

Just Dance 2021 debuted at number 13 on the November best-sellers chart. Launch month sales of Just Dance 2021 were the second highest in franchise history. Only Just Dance 3, launched in October 2011, experienced a larger launch.

Software charts

Eo9jHFJUwAAY4k_

Eo9jVkOUwAEiwPw

Eo9jSwsVgAATqUm

Eo9jPfsVQAEllcc

Eo9jKYlVEAEkdSi

Eo9jM0XU0AE-qlP

Hardware

Consumers spent a November record $1.4 billion on new video game hardware, an increase of 58% versus YA. Growth was driven by the launches of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series. Year-to-date hardware spending reached $4.0 billion, 34% higher than a year ago.

PlayStation 5 was November's best-selling hardware platform in consumer spending, while Nintendo Switch led the market in units sold.

PlayStation 5 achieved the highest launch month unit and dollar sales for a video game hardware platform in U.S. history. The records were previously held by the PlayStation 4, which debuted in November 2013.

Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling hardware platform in units sold for a record 24 consecutive months.

Accessories

Spending on accessories reached $314 million in November 2020, 8% higher when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date spending has increased 22% to a record $2.1 billion.

Sony's DualSense Wireless Controller White achieved the highest launch month unit and dollar sales for a gamepad in U.S. history.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
2 straight years for the Switch. Incredible. I never would have believed it after the Wii U.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Marvel's Avengers still in TOP 10 = REDEMPTION INCOMING

Surprised at Miles Morales not matching OG Spider-Man launch by being cross-gen

JFO legs are insane.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for DualSense being the best selling launch controller ever. Really love this thing.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Huge launch for Black Ops Cold War!
Not sure if it's bigger than Modern Warfare (2019), but bigger than Animal Crossing and Modern Warfare in the 2020 YTD ranking means it's a huge launch.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Hi Dolorean ! Are you able to give any data on PS5/XB units, or for physical software?

I think we could discern a few solid ranges if we know how the top few or the Nintendo games did.

Thanks!

Last edited:

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Its so crazy that the Switch can continue to sell so high without releasing loads of huge titles.

It wouldn't surprise me if they could go a whole year without releasing a single game and still be number 1.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
PlayStation 5 achieved the highest launch month unit and dollar sales for a video game hardware platform in U.S. history. The records were previously held by the PlayStation 4, which debuted in November 2013.

We all assumed this, but it's still pretty incredible given the circumstances and challenges this year.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Marvel's Avengers still in TOP 10 = REDEMPTION INCOMING

Surprised at Miles Morales not matching OG Spider-Man launch by being cross-gen

JFO legs are insane.
Miles Morales not doing as well was expected, these half-step games just don't do as well which is fine because they're also made with lower budgets. But Spider-Man 2 is gonna do some insane numbers, it's gonna blow Sony's current records out of the water.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So basically the hardware roundup is

NSW: 1.35M (Official)
PS5: 1,100,000 - 1.35M (Over PS4 debut but under Switch this month)
XBS: 0 - ~900K (Didn't set a record, unit or revenue)

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its so crazy that the Switch can continue to sell so high without releasing loads of huge titles.

It wouldn't surprise me if they could go a whole year without releasing a single game and still be number 1.
It's a damn good piece of hardware, with tons of titles to play for people of all types. It's honestly so amazing for Nintendo to have this kind of turnaround, and I really hope they shape up their PR better to continue forward with the Switch gen.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Miles Morales not doing as well was expected, these half-step games just don't do as well which is fine because they're also made with lower budgets. But Spider-Man 2 is gonna fo some insane numbers, it's gonna blow Sony's current records out of the water.

The expectations are definitely in line though.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Industry is feasting. Looking like everyone got supply constraints going. Switch clearly unfazed by next-gen.
I feel like Miles Morales did fine considering it isn't a full-blown sequel to Spider-Man. Curious if Age of Calamity shows any legs going forward.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Probably didn't outsell PS4 by much, but I'm happy with the performance of the PS5
Shame that Xbox Series X|S didn't outsell the Xbox One, but at least it sold out. Hopefully Microsoft has more units on the way for December.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Next gen is significantly constrained by production and shipments this holiday.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Probably didn't outsell PS4 by much, but I'm happy with the performance of the PS5
Shame that Xbox Series X|S didn't outsell the Xbox One, but at least it sold out. Hopefully Microsoft has more units on the way for December.

Launching on more markets (compared to One) most likely meant less units for NA.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on the console splits between Miles Morales?

Much like the other territories it still feels like Demon's Souls could've charted higher.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
AC physical only stomping on these fools.

I hope Nintendo gives a digital + physical figure for 2020 after Dec. Good chance its the #1 this year and the best year for any Nintendo title ever (Wii Sports ~10.2M 2008, ~9.6M 2009). I think ACNH may have crossed 10M by/before September already, but its a shot in the dark without their numbers.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Switch is unstoppable. It'll be the best selling console for at least the next several months. Maybe through the first half of 2021. Wow

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kneejerk reaction- it's going to be a while before we see a November without a Pokemon release again.

Good Switch sales for what they are, but being down YOY given the rest of the year's a little underwhelming.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I wonder if Cold War will have the legs Modern Warfare did. If so, hats off to Activision and the COD devs for being able to be this consistent

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Great numbers for PS5. And I would say that's fairly impressive for Switch despite the -5% decline since you know, no freaking POKEMON this year.

Dec 31, 2017
Probably had to do with launching in more countries than they did last time, making less units available in the US market. I know if you manage to order from MS's website right now it ships end of December so they really are selling everything they can produce right now.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Launching on more markets (compared to One) most likely meant less units for NA.
Probably had to do with launching in more countries than they did last time, making less units available in the US market. I know if you manage to order from MS's website right now it ships end of December so they really are selling everything they can produce right now.
It continues to sell out. That's the good sign here, yes.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean that COD outsold Animal Crossing? Like, it sold more than 26 million in less than a month?