• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yeah they probably arent losing money at $199. Or if so it would be barely.

The main reason they arent willing to drop price permanently or ship a larger number of $199 units for BF is simply because the PS4 will sell regardless. Might as well pocket as much profit as possible

Wouldn't you say it's better to use the PS4's popularity to rapidly get as many people as possible into the PS ecosystem before PS5?

Sacrificing short-term profits for greater long-term gain right?

Jun 17, 2018
I don't think he would know that but I also don't think it matters. Even if they are making a profit they're losing out on a potential $100+ that someone would spend on the standard SKU (and game) for each additional bundle they ship. If the PS4 is still breaking records at $299 it doesn't make much sense to offer a lot of them at $199 even if they can afford it.

It's a big opportunity cost.

True, I'm assuming being competitive on one of the biggest shopping days of the year is more important to them however. Undercutting the competition with aggressive pricing has been Sony's mojo since the beginning. They single-handedly choked SEGA out of the console business, dealt powerful blows to Nintendo, and have had Microsoft red-lining this entire current gen. They're are savage at what they do lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Has the Switch a realistic chance of being the best selling console of 2018 if it wins november?

The leaks have the PS4 about 500k over Switch so far this year, and Switch will win December by a large margin. But I'm not sure how large, what did it do last year? I could see it doing 500k more than PS4 in December, yeah.

But I still don't think it'll be all that close for November. Sony should still take this month comfortably. So Switch will have to do a lot more than 500k more than PS4.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Has the Switch a realistic chance of being the best selling console of 2018 if it wins november?
It probably won't win November, but it has December on its side with Smash being #2 of the one two punch this holiday to keep the momentum high. Switch even got a little extra slap with Super Mario Party being more successful than anticipated

JosephD

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
It was a very good chance of doing just that. If it matches or sells a little below PS4 in November, it only needs to sell 500K more than the PS4 in December, which will be super easy with Smash

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
The leaks have the PS4 about 500k over Switch so far this year, and Switch will win December by a large margin. But I'm not sure how large, what did it do last year? I could see it doing 500k more than PS4 in December, yeah.

But I still don't think it'll be all that close for November. Sony should still take this month comfortably. So Switch will have to do a lot more than 500k more than PS4.

switch will do over 2,000,000 in december easily

Oct 25, 2017
Switch 20m dream is very much alive now though
Ds5iYWJXoAA4uMA.jpg

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Really wonder if we will see a situation where revenue is very close due to the price difference and PS4 takes the units in November.

In regards to PS4, it really is difficult to go from 1.5-1.7 up to ~2million. With only the Wii hitting 2 million that also says a lot.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Exactly!

Amazon has been absolutely useless for a long time now. There was a time when it was very accurate at Predicting who would win between wii u, ps4 and xb1. But since the arrival of the Switch and sonys falling out with amazon it's become very unreliable. There have been months where it put ps4 last and ps4 then wins easy. It's very biased towards the switch. I'm not sure why anybody wastes their time tracking amazon performance as an indicator of who wins npd. It's pretty irrelevant.

Oh, I didn't even think people were talking to use Amazon rankings to predict sales, lol

It's not that Amazon is useless to predict sales—it's simply that we don't even have enough data to forecast sales. Even if Amazon sample was representative we can't use rankings to predict sales because rankings=/=sales.

Of course, Amazon sample is not representative and never been so this idea that Amazon was good in predicting sales was perhaps a self-fulfilling forecast.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Oh, I didn't even think people were talking to use Amazon rankings to predict sales, lol

It's not that Amazon is useless to predict sales—it's simply that we don't even have enough data to forecast sales. Even if Amazon sample was representative we can't use rankings to predict sales because rankings=/=sales.

Of course, Amazon sample is not representative and never been so this idea that Amazon was good in predicting sales was perhaps a self-fulfilling forecast.

Yep. There's actually a sales forum out there that takes amazon rankings way too serious and they spend an insane amount of time analysing the charts. Crazy.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It probably will but I really hope they don't continue doing this because pre-holiday 2018 desperately needed more released. Here is to a better 2019 release schedule.

I mean it depends on what you're interested in.

We can already guess the "big" releases for Q1 to start things off.
NSMBU port, Yoshi (or FE, but Yoshi is much more liekly), and then smaller game or two, or port (maybe a port/collection could be announced at TGA like last time). Before the fiscal year ends.

if someone doesn't like Yoshi, or gets mad at smaller titles & ports, come April 2019 we're going to have the exact same posts as this year. "Nintendo's 2019 has been garbage. I don't like easy yoshi or ports so there's been nothing to play"
I'm already prepared for it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Benji Thanks for all the great insight! You can really tell how it excited everyone in this thread to get such pieces of information.

You mentioned Pokémon was doing really strongly, so I was wondering if the momentum you saw during this week makes you think it has a chance at selling comparable numbers as SunMoon did in the first holiday, or if that is still a bit too high for Let's Go to achieve.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji Thanks for all the great insight! You can really tell how it excited everyone in this thread to get such pieces of information.

You mentioned Pokémon was doing really strongly, so I was wondering if the momentum you saw during this week makes you think it has a chance at selling comparable numbers as SunMoon did in the first holiday, or if that is still a bit too high for Let's Go to achieve.

Nah it's not going to do near Sun and Moon numbers

But it's still doing fantastic overall.

And thanks, always happy to try to give back to the sales community

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Zedark there was no way Let's Go was gonna match SuMo. Should've asked about X/Y like I did since it's a closer comparison. You've wasted a Benji wish!

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate sales talk sometimes. It brings the fanboys out when their console doesn't win and insiders aren't suggesting their favorite system will win November or whatever month.

Right, so it's just Sony and Nintendo 'fanboys' that are bothering you today?

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're seeing here to create such disappointment with Era, but hey.

I'm not talking about now. I've read what people said. I'm talking about what I expect to happen if things don't go fanboys ways after this weekend.

Just imaginary Sony fans then. What a weird take. Anybody giving Benji and Mat shit for system wars reasons will get themselves kicked, just as it should be.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, so it's just Sony and Nintendo 'fanboys' that are bothering you today?

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're seeing here to create such disappointment with Era, but hey.

Just imaginary Sony fans then. What a weird take. Anybody giving Benji and Mat shit for system wars reasons will get themselves kicked, just as it should be.

You're gonna have to try again. I call all the fanboys out.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Nah it's not going to do near Sun and Moon numbers

But it's still doing fantastic overall.

And thanks, always happy to try to give back to the sales community

Thanks for all you provided us :)

Just one question if you can respond, did the $199 Spider-Man push significantly others Sony exclusives (God of War, Detroit, Horizon) ?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the fan reception to the Playstation Classic is harsh as fuck. The replies to that tweet are really showing that. Do we expect it to actually sold well, in a comparable ballpark to NES and SNES Mini ?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Man, the fan reception to the Playstation Classic is harsh as fuck. The replies to that tweet are really showing that. Do we expect it to actually sold well, in a comparable ballpark to NES and SNES Mini ?

This was poised to do greater gangbusters than any other classics so far.

Really sad if the execution has lessened it's sales potential. Still think it's gonna sell pretty damn well, maybe the biggest classic regardless.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This was poised to do greater gangbusters than any other classics so far.

Really sad if the execution has lessened it's sales potential. Still think it's gonna sell pretty damn well, maybe the biggest classic regardless.
I think the pricing @ $100 puts it right outside that instant pickup range for it to appeal to the masses like a $40 NES Classic and an $80 SNES Classic.

It should still do really well though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

It wont be NES or SNES mini levels obviously, even if it fails no big deal, sony has enough ways to get profit even if this doesnt do well.