• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what an incredible month for the industry.

October 2018 unit sales of PlayStation 4 reached the highest mark for any PlayStation hardware platform in an October month since the PlayStation 2 in October 2002.

Damn, the PS4 is unstoppable.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Wait am I reading this right, AC Odyssey is selling better on PS4 than Spider-Man?
IT sold better than Spider man did for the month of October yes
I guess those extra days really did wonders for BLOPS4, but excellent showing for both that and RDR2.
AC: Odd showing great legs so far, which is great for me bc it's my GOTY
Mario Party overperformed, I would have got it but I only have one set of joy cons
SC6 doing big numbers is surprising but welcome, I wanted to pick it up on BF but ya know money
Starlink did okay, I doubt the expectations were very high but not even ranking it's first month is not good

Interesting that the Switch seemingly did worse this month, but I guess it's comparison was launching Odyssey last year (unless my memory is off) so it would be hard top it with only Mario Party

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm surprised Mario Kart is above GTAV. Switch didn't exactly receive a major hardware bump, so I wonder if Red Dead's release hurt GTA for once.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 doing 3x the original in the US including digital.

RDR2 did more than double the original excluding digital sales in the UK, and yet everyone was freaking out in that thread saying that was a bomb.

Yeah, RDR2 UK for the month is probably around a million including digital.

Per head it's selling more in the UK.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 needs to calm down lol. Let someone else have its day in the spotlight. At this point we're unlikely to see another console get top billing until at least next year, likely even later
The PS4's doing remarkably well, but I don't see any way that Switch doesn't take December.

Oct 26, 2017
Octopath Traveler I'm also pretty certain outsold TWEWY... That chart for the Switch is weird.

edit: Oh, these are only October sales, got it.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't expect PS4 to be so strong in October. Is that just a combination of CoD, Red Dead and Spider-Man driving sales? I thought between Spider-Man in September and Black Friday deals this month that October would be a quieter month. Given the $199 Black Friday bundles I assume it will take November too and as such be the best selling console of 2018? Or is that too early to call?

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I like how GTAV is still in the top 20 chart for the month and the top 10 YTD chart.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected to see RDR2 selling more than BLOPS4 :(

But we still have two months, great sales for Soul Calibur VI too.

Plum

May 31, 2018
oh wow, i never expected rdr2 to not be the top title of this month. cod's popularity is just crazy.

It did only have 5 days compared to BO4's 19, so it's not really unexpected tbh. My bets are that RDR2 is going to take this month's top spot: Spyro is big but not that big and Pokemon being split amongst two games is going to split the sales (though combined they could take it).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It did only have 4 days compared to BO4's 19, so it's not really unexpected tbh. My bets are that RDR2 is going to take this month's top spot: Spyro is big but not that big and Pokemon being split amongst two games is going to split the sales (though combined they could take it).
Nine days, recording doesn't stop at the end of the month. And BLOPS will have Black Friday deals whereas RDR2 won't. BLOPS will take top spot again, easy.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Also, isnt that the first time in a while that a Nintendo chart has more 3rd parties than first parties?

Plum

May 31, 2018

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Was there anything that actually underperformed this month?

I see even My Hero Academia seems to have done pretty well for a Namco licensed game.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
PC and console software: $965 million (up 104% compared to $473 million)

I mean, between Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 it's understandable why the number is so high, but still that is a colossal improvement over what was IIRC a pretty decent month. That's amazing.