• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice healthy bump for the upgraded consoles, looks like the market is biting, love it. RDR2 done great, expecting it to top the year out.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I think this proves Treyarch/Activision made a really good decision in deciding to dump the single player campaign in favour of putting in battle royale, despite all the crap that was said by people when the news came out.

Can't help but feel BO4 would have sold much worse otherwise, since the battle royale most likely pushed waaaaay more sales than any SP campaign could have. I wonder if anyone could shed some light on this, Benji ZhugeEX?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised XB1 didn't make a dent at the top spot, considering them having a great trade-in deal toward RDR2 bundles.

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead killing it as it should. Glad to see Odyssey is hanging in there. Ubisoft really breathed new life into the series and I definitely want to see them continue on down the line their on and make improvements.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Could PS4 do 20 mil? I know I've been joking saying it's the console that's going to do it this year, but if they manufacture enough Spiderman bundles they might have a shot.

Oct 31, 2017
PS4's dominance isn't surprising to me. I knew they would demolish with that RDR2 bundle as well as Spider-Man hype still being strong. They will also dominate November but I see Switch taking December thanks to Pokemon and Smash. Congrats to all the companies though, they all posted great numbers this month and it's good to see the industry is very healthy.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
AC Odyssey continues to find success: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey repeated its September success, again ranking as the third best-selling game of the month. In September, the game had double-digit percentage dollar sales growth when compared to the launch of Assassin's Creed: Origins a year ago.

This is the best news!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What deal did the PS4 have in October? I must be missing out.

None. There were the RDR2 and Black Ops 4 bundles, but no special deals.

re: The Xbox deal - like I mentioned earlier, I think people were way overestimating the effect of both the trade-in deal and the $100 off deal. I'm sure both moved decent numbers for Xbox, but it wasn't going to turn the tables or anything, especially with Sony have the marketing for the two biggest games of the year (RDR2 & BO4).

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe MHA charted without a dub. Imagine, how higher it would have been had it came with the dub cast.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
That's what he's saying.

So.... what was he trying to say again? I originally said I was surprised that XB1 didn't claim the top spot despite MS heavily pushing the RDR2 bundle. And he quoted me, saying "and PS4 didn't have any deal, right?" He implied that PS4 also had a deal in October, which I couldn't recall it having any.

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo it tracked for one day in the September NPD but a whole month in October's? What's that gotta do with my initial post? If anything, it should've charted higher on October's NPD since that's where it spent most of its time
It was third behind COD and RDR. That's as high as I think people were expecting it could go. Just was wondering what was so funny about RDR2 charting higher than Odyssey since it was expected. That was really it, no big deal.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If MS can have the marketing deals for GTA VI and BO V come next gen then I think they are the market leader.

I doubt it personally. I don't think marketing deals have all that much impact on sales overall. Most people know full well that COD, Rockstar Games etc are available on both Xbox and Playstation.

It's just really really hard to come back if you don't come out of the gate well. At this stage of this generation there really isn't anything Microsoft can do to make a dent in Sony's lead. The best they can do is set themselves up well for next generation.

I think Sony will be sitting pretty for next gen, but the start of a generation is always the most interesting time because things can change!

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
So.... what was he trying to say again? I originally said I was surprised that XB1 didn't claim the top spot despite MS heavily pushing the RDR2 bundle. And he quoted me, saying "and PS4 didn't have any deal, right?" He implied that PS4 also had a deal in October, which I couldn't recall it having any.
I think you're reading it as sarcasm when it wasn't.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think he's just trying to confirm that the Ps4 didn't have any deals in October.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're reading it as sarcasm when it wasn't.
I think he's just trying to confirm that the Ps4 didn't have any deals in October.
Sorry about the confusion. Yeah, I was asking a legitimate question. It wasn't sarcasm.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
They would have lost sales and money.

Think that not charting in other platforms doesn't mean it performed there worse than in Switch. Because in the other consoles it's competing against recent big sellers like CoD, RDR2, ACO, NBA, Spiderman, Forza and so on while in Switch like more than half of the top 10 are games more than a year old.

More than a year old, and clearly still selling since they're not only in the top 10 switch list, but the top 10 overall. A year later. So what difference does that make?

And in all likelihood, if the UK split is any indication (not exactly the Switch's strongest region), it did do worse.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Is this good for Soul Calibur 6? I hope so because I do want Namco to continue their superior fighting game franchise.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't even realize that they have hit gold

The PS4 could be so much more than gaming they legit have a media hub in the homes of almost 100 million people . What some companies wouldn't give for that
Why do you believe Sony doesn't realize this? Last gen they were already eager to repeat at every turn that PS3 was "the number one platform for Netflix". The PlayStation store has an entire movie half to it. They automatically offer Crackle on every PS4. They've tried both movie and music services of their own on PS4, and then a deal with Spotify. And while it's unfortunately restricted to only a few markets, PS Vue was a groundbreaking cable-cutting service.

So this year what is the breakdown for each month for top console? IIRC it's been Sony most of the year except one or two months right?
Here's the NPD winners since PS4 and Xbox One launched (last 10 entries are 2018):

PS4
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
XB1
XB1
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
SWI
SWI
PS4
PS4
SWI
SWI
SWI
SWI
PS4
SWI
SWI
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
SWI
SWI
PS4
PS4

Could PS4 do 20 mil? I know I've been joking saying it's the console that's going to do it this year, but if they manufacture enough Spiderman bundles they might have a shot.
Shipped is within reach, yes (and that's what company projections are all about). Both for calendar 2018 and for the fiscal year ending next March. Sell-through to consumers of 20m isn't likely for either period...though it's not entirely impossible.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 is such a monster. Unbelievable! Just collect the cash for another 2 years, with great exclusives like The Last of Us 2, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Death Stranding, etc. October/November 2020 is the perfect launch date for the PS5.
Can't wait so see what Sony's amazing 1st party studios are cooking.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do you believe Sony doesn't realize this? Last gen they were already eager to repeat at every turn that PS3 was "the number one platform for Netflix". The PlayStation store has an entire movie half to it. They automatically offer Crackle on every PS4. They've tried both movie and music services of their own on PS4, and then a deal with Spotify. And while it's unfortunately restricted to only a few markets, PS Vue was a groundbreaking cable-cutting service.

Here's the NPD winners since PS4 and Xbox One launched (last 10 entries are 2018):

PS4
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
XB1
XB1
XB1
XB1
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
SWI
SWI
PS4
PS4
SWI
SWI
SWI
SWI
PS4
SWI
SWI
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
PS4
SWI
SWI
PS4
PS4

Shipped is within reach, yes (and that's what company projections are all about). Both for calendar 2018 and for the fiscal year ending next March. Sell-through to consumers of 20m isn't likely for either period...though it's not entirely impossible.
Wow! They deserved it this gen. Saved us from a no used game society.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018

I feel like PlayStation Plus should cover more than just games. They are so fragmented at least within Sony's own services . I think they should look into ways that they could make Vue and PS Now into PS Plus as well as a movie rental from the store

Or like if you have a plus sub for a year you would get a discount on their other services instead of paying the normal subscription fee . I also think Sony just bought Funimation so they could have their own anime network tied into that.

Edit also why is crackle so outdated they own Sony pictures funimation now and aniplex

Last edited:

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Wow, the PS4 is such a beast lol

So happy to see GOW and Spidey so high in YTD charts. Well done Sony, fully deserved.