• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
the 3ds had to struggle to do what the switch did at a higher price and while supply-constrained.

3DS was technically a mess and there were no games during and after launch.

Switch has been way more impressive on those regards. Perfect 1st party support and it's even getting current gen ports. Switch is a way better deal.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

Switch has been way more impressive on those regards.

and that should lead to much better sales for the switch in the long run. nintendo isn't in any need to rush titles for the holiday, and switch skus keep getting added instead of canceled, like the 3ds. this should broaden the fanbase and result in even higher sales moving forward the more variety there is.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Switch has been way more impressive on those regards. Perfect 1st party support and it's even getting current gen ports. Switch is a way better deal.
I agree.

Btw, has anyone told you yet that your avatar looks like the Sam Tarly actor from GoT? :)

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
and that should lead to much better sales for the switch in the long run. nintendo isn't in any need to rush titles for the holiday, and switch skus keep getting added instead of canceled, like the 3ds. this should broaden the fanbase and result in even higher sales moving forward the more variety there is.

If Nintendo starts to treat the Switch as their next handheld, then yes, I do expect very good results. It's just very hard to reach 100mln+ units sold nowadays. You have to appeal to all markets to do so.

Maybe if Switch will also get GTA and good versions of Call of Duty and other big 3rd party games. The Switch doesn't have a Wii Sport etc.

I agree.

Btw, has anyone told you yet that your avatar looks like the Sam Tarly actor from GoT? :)

Actually yes, on the Discord chat.
I think we have the same eyes haha

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The 3DS has many mainline Pokemon games. But it will struggle to reach Wii numbers.
3DS had very very good sales in Japan but disappointing sales outside of it.
Switch core proposition is much better than 3DS or WiiU.
On top of this Nintendo is delivering good selling games with a consistent schedule.

I do not believe for an instant that 3DS or WiiU are the best Nintendo could have done to succeed DS and Wii.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo starts to treat the Switch as their next handheld, then yes, I do expect very good results. It's just very hard to reach 100mln+ units sold nowadays. You have to appeal to all markets to do so.

Maybe if Switch will also get GTA and good versions of Call of Duty and other big 3rd party games. The Switch doesn't have a Wii Sport etc.

the switch doesn't need a wii sports, but zelda and mario odyssey are definitely going to be evergreen system sellers. the value in the switch isn't within particular software, but the switch being a hybrid in and of itself. it opens up new gameplay possibilities for people who don't usually have time for games, but enjoy non-mobile games; it makes the dream of console-like games on the go a reality; it makes the idea of handheld games on the big screen a constant and real thing; it removes the need for two platforms for parents thanks to the joycons - the system appeals to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons.

prior to the switch launching, i expected that the platform would consolidate nintendo's and sony's handheld offerings (nintendo's first and third party support and sony's third-party support), plus nintendo's third-party console support (family games), as well as indie titles that hit everything. that's all come true so far, but what i wasn't expecting was that those early third-party offerings would be so popular that they would far eclipse multiplatform releases and expectations across the board. i certainly didn't expect for games like doom and skyrim to actually be very possibly big successes. and i really couldn't have anticipated that the system would have its first year filled with big games with open world game design. it changes the conversation for the platform going forward and what to expect out of 2018 and beyond.

the switch has a lot of buzz going for it right now. late ports or not, studios are greenlighting switch versions just to get in on an excited and lucrative fanbase that's taking off in the west and in japan. i think it also needs to be stated that nintendo of 2011 is not nintendo of 2017. nintendo was gearing up for the wii u launch in 2011, pulling apart a 3-man link between worlds team to direct nintendoland and nsmbu, and rushing 3d land and mario kart 7 to meet the holidays. the wii was still getting games. the ds was still getting games. their new hq was still under construction and they hadn't launched any mobile initiative. as we look at 2018, their support is focused almost solely on two platforms: mobile and switch, and they were able to get what they wanted out of mobile in particular, which was raise brand awareness to increase their dedicated hardware game sales. they're all on the same page about building a brand outside of the dedicated hardware market and keeping it going with talks of movies and tv shows and theme parks. the switch of 2017 is all their planning from 2014 or 2015 finally paying off, and they're just getting started.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea in what constellation we are going to end up but one thing is for sure, this is going to be a big month for everyone. There will be a lot of consoles moved and I am really happy about that competition.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
the switch doesn't need a wii sports, but zelda and mario odyssey are definitely going to be evergreen system sellers. the value in the switch isn't within particular software, but the switch being a hybrid in and of itself. it opens up new gameplay possibilities for people who don't usually have time for games, but enjoy non-mobile games; it makes the dream of console-like games on the go a reality; it makes the idea of handheld games on the big screen a constant and real thing; it removes the need for two platforms for parents thanks to the joycons - the system appeals to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons.

prior to the switch launching, i expected that the platform would consolidate nintendo's and sony's handheld offerings (nintendo's first and third party support and sony's third-party support), plus nintendo's third-party console support (family games), as well as indie titles that hit everything. that's all come true so far, but what i wasn't expecting was that those early third-party offerings would be so popular that they would far eclipse multiplatform releases and expectations across the board. i certainly didn't expect for games like doom and skyrim to actually be very possibly big successes. and i really couldn't have anticipated that the system would have its first year filled with big games with open world game design. it changes the conversation for the platform going forward and what to expect out of 2018 and beyond.

the switch has a lot of buzz going for it right now. late ports or not, studios are greenlighting switch versions just to get in on an excited and lucrative fanbase that's taking off in the west and in japan. i think it also needs to be stated that nintendo of 2011 is not nintendo of 2017. nintendo was gearing up for the wii u launch in 2011, pulling apart a 3-man link between worlds team to direct nintendoland and nsmbu, and rushing 3d land and mario kart 7 to meet the holidays. the wii was still getting games. the ds was still getting games. their new hq was still under construction and they hadn't launched any mobile initiative. as we look at 2018, their support is focused almost solely on two platforms: mobile and switch, and they were able to get what they wanted out of mobile in particular, which was raise brand awareness to increase their dedicated hardware game sales. they're all on the same page about building a brand outside of the dedicated hardware market and keeping it going with talks of movies and tv shows and theme parks. the switch of 2017 is all their planning from 2014 or 2015 finally paying off, and they're just getting started.

Yes, Nintendo is way more focused now. It definitely shows. The Switch has been getting great support since launch. Mario just released and Xenoblade is around the corner. It's very impressive.

It will also become my main platform of choice for many future indie titles. I love the handheld aspect of it.

But this is still just the beginning. If Nintendo keeps this pace, then they won't be having any problems. But I still think that you'll need the GTA, Fifa and Call of Duty crowd to really reach the highest hw numbers in the end. Especially when there's no software like Wii Sport and Wii Fit to fill the gap.

Don't think the Switch will sell more than the Wii or even the Ps4 because of that. The hybrid aspect of Switch won't change much in the end. I'd be very surprised.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Nintendo is way more focused now. It definitely shows. The Switch has been getting great support since launch. Mario just released and Xenoblade is just around the corner. It's very impressive.

It will also become my main platform of choice for many future indie titles. I love the handheld aspect of it.

But this is still just the beginning. If Nintendo keeps this pace, then they won't be having any problems. But I still think that you'll need the GTA, Fifa and Call of Duty crowd to really reach the highest hw numbers in the end. Especially when there's no software like Wii Sport and Wii Fit to fill the gap.

Don't think the Switch will sell more than the Wii or even the Ps4 because of that. The hybrid aspect of Switch won't change much in the end. I'd be very surprised.

They have a shot at outselling PS4 first year.

Knowing the team developping the next CoD, I say there is a very good chance to see it next year on Switch. Moreover LA Noire released on Switch too, I don't believe that it is a one shot thing, Take 2 was also extremely happy with the Switch. So we'll see.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
it took almost 4 years for most people in this thread to finally admit that PS4 was going to pass 100million easily, but the Switch is having those predictions from day 1.

Good to know that we don't have to read the word 'frontloaded' a thousand times anymore.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Nintendo is way more focused now. It definitely shows. The Switch has been getting great support since launch. Mario just released and Xenoblade is around the corner. It's very impressive.

i think the ps4 should outsell the wii by a good 20 million at this rate. the thing about the 3ds is that it had a few good early years and then the rest of its later years were pretty consistently lower. part of this is with nintendo focusing on the wii u and upcoming switch titles. part of this is the poor start killing any potential for the platform to have any genuine excitement around it. nintendo had to sort of manufacture a fanbase around it by forcing out games and lowering the price far below what they had initially expected. i think the only genuine buzz that happened for the 3ds was during the 2010 e3 show and in the leadup to pokemon sun and moon (which was basically due to pokemon go). with the switch, nintendo's 20-24 games they publish per year won't be split between two handheld platforms and two console platforms, but a mobile and a dedicated game platform. the system should get at least a couple form factor revisions, the earliest one i expect would be a 'switch mini' to replace nintendo's dedicated hardware form factor the 3ds had while being a cheaper point of entry for pokemon in 2018 or early 2019. later there should be a 'switch pro' equivalent to get higher-end users to double dip.

nintendo doesn't need gta or call of duty to hit 100 million units. what they need is consistency and increased brand awareness. given all the good moves they've made since 2015, i think their planning has significantly improved to pull this off. or to look at it another way, the switch won't need gta and call of duty to do 100m units; it will get gta and call of duty because it's doing so well it will be impossible to ignore.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
it took almost 4 years for most people in this thread to finally admit that PS4 was going to pass 100million easily, but the Switch is having those predictions from day 1.

Good to know that we don't have to read the word 'frontloaded' a thousand times anymore.

different times. 360, wii, and ps3 were basically dead in 2012 and 2013, and the surge was so big initially in 2013 and dropped so hard in 2014 that it didn't seem healthy. as this generation has gone on, those platforms have both been pretty much selling really hot in the holiday season but a bit cold relative to the previous leading platforms from the generations earlier. combined with nothing but 3ds doing well in japan and it didn't seem like anything was really stable in those years. i think it took people a while to understand that the market had changed a bit to make consoles more seasonal than before, and that the markets in which hardware is sold have changed too (100m is still possible, but japan, for instance, isn't quite as necessary to that anymore).

the switch on the other hand released in march and was difficult to find for six months, even through traditionally poor months for the video game industry, and it was like that around the world. the demand was unusual and consistent and it painted a different picture. i'd say that with the ps4 doing so well four years after launch, it also lends credence to the idea that another platform can hit 100m.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is also very supply constrained compared to 3DS in Japan, it would have no problems being ahead otherwise. Switch also has a better attach rate.

No? Switch was predicted to sell like N64 at best day. And I am not sure what this comment improve the conversation, if you disagree that the Switch will hit 100millions just say so.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
different times. 360, wii, and ps3 were basically dead in 2012 and 2013, and the surge was so big initially in 2013 and dropped so hard in 2014 that it didn't seem healthy. as this generation has gone on, those platforms have both been pretty much selling really hot in the holiday season but a bit cold relative to the previous leading platforms from the generations earlier. combined with nothing but 3ds doing well in japan and it didn't seem like anything was really stable in those years. i think it took people a while to understand that the market had changed a bit to make consoles more seasonal than before, and that the markets in which hardware is sold have changed too (100m is still possible, but japan, for instance, isn't quite as necessary to that anymore).

the switch on the other hand released in march and was difficult to find for six months, even through traditionally poor months for the video game industry, and it was like that around the world. the demand was unusual and consistent and it painted a different picture. i'd say that with the ps4 doing so well four years after launch, it also lends credence to the idea that another platform can hit 100m.
Also XBO is likely going to fall behind XB 360.
in US XB 360 peaked in its 7th year (2011).

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For me it's just something interesting to follow.

You have a racing genre that's losing prominence. A juggernaut franchise like GT and then Forza both trying to remain relevant.

One sort of embraced the Call of Duty matra and keeps high brand awareness year after year while the other takes a more traditional 3 year approach and still considerably outsells the competition.

Which approach is better? Is Forza or others eating away at the GT pie? Or is it simple the genre losing popularity, especially in the west.

It'll be interesting to track the sales of each during the holidays.

Forza Horizon 3 was a success that changed the idea of many on Forza franchise . That may helped .

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to know if we have been told how much PS4+XB1 are ahead of PS3+XB360 after October NPD?

Has the lead increased or decreased?

They were leading by 27% if i remember correctly.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably obvious to most but Amazon hourly rankings are only important insomuch as how long something stays at its current place in the rankings. If we see the PS4 at the top of the hourly rankings this whole week then it'll be shooting up the monthly rankings pretty heavily too.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any retail people here have any interesting news on Switch availability? I was taking my kid to random toy / electronic stores in my area over the weekend and none of them had the Switch (Best Buy, Toys R Us, Gamestop, Walmart). Obviously anecdotal but I was under the impression stock was a non-issue now but it seems some places are still having a hard time getting / keeping the system.

Also it seems BestBuy.com is sold out of Switch and Amazon no longer says 'in stock' but 'Ships when available in 1-2 days.'

Oct 27, 2017
Any retail people here have any interesting news on Switch availability? I was taking my kid to random toy / electronic stores in my area over the weekend and none of them had the Switch (Best Buy, Toys R Us, Gamestop, Walmart). Obviously anecdotal but I was under the impression stock was a non-issue now but it seems some places are still having a hard time getting / keeping the system.

Also it seems BestBuy.com is sold out of Switch and Amazon no longer says 'in stock' but 'Ships when available in 1-2 days.'
It's still not quite a non-issue but they are probably also hoarding stock for Black Friday.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I noticed Amazon having messages like that for the Switch SKU's throughout the last week or so when I've checked. Seem to me that stores are still selling through shipments, but stock is just more plentiful than it has been. I think you will see stores continue to sell out here and there through the holidays, but they will be quicker to get units to sell.

Oct 25, 2017

Splatoon, Mario and regular bundles are readily available where I am (Alberta), but YMMV obviously. Just give it time and check back.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah, Shadow of War is knocking it out of the park, no clue why people thought it would flop based on some pre-release issues.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Forget my Splatoon prediction. I predicted 15 million Switch shipped by the end of 2017 IN JANUARY. Yes, January. This is by far the best prediction i ever made lmao, people were still talking about Wii U level at that point.

This logic does not makes sense at all. Why should this only matter at launch? Switch will always have a bigger potential than 3DS, this won't change. Not only this, but the gap will increase over the years, and by a huge margin. Maybe you forget Switch is 300$, and is doing better than 3DS at 170$. And it won't have stock issue next year as well. Calling it, Switch will double 3DS lifetime sales in the US

Well see. Someone will be eating crow next year, that's for sure.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably obvious to most but Amazon hourly rankings are only important insomuch as how long something stays at its current place in the rankings. If we see the PS4 at the top of the hourly rankings this whole week then it'll be shooting up the monthly rankings pretty heavily too.

After one day it's up to 13th on the monthly and doesn't seem to be budging from the #2 spot in the hourly.

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017

Our store (fairly large Target) got a shipment of around 300 Switches yesterday, we sold about sixty of them in the first couple of hours. It's selling quickly but Nintendo seems to be providing a decent amount of stock in preparation for Black Friday.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't worked at Best Buy in a while but still have friends there. They are holding switch stock for later this week. They'll still sell them but they have an allotment they have to keep for the weekend in the back so still might "sell out" in that regard. Pick up in-store option is disabled as well

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
How will Skyrim be tracked? Will the Switch and VR versions count alongside the PS4/XB1 versions, or will one or both be counted separately by NPD in the monthly charts?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As you guys are currently obsessed with Amazon rankings here are the recent changes:

The 1TB Ps4 Slim is now #13 on the monthly chart up from #34.
The console itself was hovering in the 50ths or below (can't remember) during the beginning of the month.

The 1TB Ps4 Slim now also entered the year top 100 at #98.
Meanwhile the Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition dropped from #51 to #52

Also XBO is likely going to fall behind XB 360.
in US XB 360 peaked in its 7th year (2011).
It's pretty interesting that the Xbox One in 2016 sold almost exactly the same as the Xbox 360 in 2008 with ~4.730k units
The Xbox 360 in 2009 sold also nearly the same as the year before with ~4.770k units.
It will be interesting to see, if the Xbox One X can offset the current decline over the previous generation and sell as much as the X360 in it's fourth full year or even surpass it.

Next year, the Xbox One X family will have a very hard time to stay ahead of the Xb360, which sold ~6.750k units in it's 5th full year...

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly didn't think that SoW would be the hit that it was. Sad to see that TEW2 and Wolf2 didn't do too well but hopefully that picks up in subsequent months.

Status
Not open for further replies.