• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
First of all, the WSJ figure is 25-30M produced next fiscal year. Not even shipped so it is not about Nintendo selling 30M you'll admit.

Fair enough. I still find hard to believe they will produce 25 million next year. Even with Pokemon.

Didn't the WSJ also said they will produce 20M this fiscal year?
Edit: they did

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the reality he know who the winner is by far, but doesn't wanna give it away. he said the other day ps4 was nuking from orbital and black friday seems like ps4 made a bigger gap with switch on black friday. so to me ps4>>xbone>>> switch. xbox will be closer, because a new system launch, and plenty of stock for the 189$ model. there is no way though switch was outselling ps4 by that much during the first 3 weeks, to make it close to ps4 after the black friday sales.

It probably was though because black Friday ads were available from the start of November. Vast majority of people waited to buy a ps4 until today.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reality he know who the winner is by far, but doesn't wanna give it away. he said the other day ps4 was nuking from orbital and black friday seems like ps4 made a bigger gap with switch on black friday. so to me ps4>>xbone>>> switch. xbox will be closer, because a new system launch, and plenty of stock for the 189$ model. there is no way though switch was outselling ps4 by that much during the first 3 weeks, to make it close to ps4 after the black friday sales.

Don't be shocked to be called a fanboy if you are being that dishonest. I mean he explicitely told you that the Switch is likely above the Xbox.

Oct 26, 2017
Of course, the Switch is selling very well right now. But there is a difference between selling very well and selling as much (or close) as the best selling console ever (the DS).
I doubt anyone is claiming something crazy like that. NO system will ever come close to the likes of the DS or PS2, at least not this gen. Not even a monster like the PS4. I think Lelouch only meant that the Switch will sell in line with a Nintendo handheld as opposed to a Nintendo console

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All 3 well do great numbers but people actually think switch will sell more then a 189 xbox with gift card etc? lol

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's Black Friday... and then there's November.

Black Friday makes up the bulk of November sales. If the other two platforms significantly outperformed Switch this weekend, Switch would have to SIGNIFICANTLY outperform the others during the rest of the month. And it would probably still struggle to overcome them both. Xbox One X also launched earlier this month and appears to have performed very well in the US.

It's not impossible for Switch to take November...but it's not easy and I don't see it happening. I don't see it hitting #2 either, but I'm not as confident in that prediction.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Black Friday makes up the bulk of November sales. If the other two platforms significantly outperformed Switch this weekend, Switch would have to SIGNIFICANTLY outperform the others during the rest of the month. And it would probably still struggle to overcome them both. Xbox One X also launched earlier this month and appears to have performed very well in the US.

It's not impossible for Switch to take November...but it's not easy and I don't see it happening. I don't see it hitting #2 either, but I'm not as confident in that prediction.

THANK YOU. which in reality is near impossible, but we'll see.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
He also said temper you switch expectations, not ps4/xb1. meaning switch had disappointing black friday, for him. it's all speculation though, so well know soon enough.

Oh personally I don't think the Switch is winning November. December is far more likely and Switch is my favorite for December.

However I don't think that the gap is going to be huge between the Switch and the Xbox. Something around 1M is my guess and around 1.5 M in December (5weeks NPD).

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh personally I don't think the Switch is winning November. December is far more likely and Switch is my favorite for December.

However I don't think that the gap is going to be huge between the Switch and the Xbox. Something around 1M is my guess and around 1.5 M in December (5weeks NPD).

If Ps4 is 199 for a week or two in Dec, then they have Dec locked .

Oct 28, 2017
Memba when people were giving Nintendo shit for running out of stock in its launch month and for months thereafter? Memba now how people are giving Nintendo shit for being well stocked now and for the last few months? I memba.

Also, maybe Sony could drop the price to $3.99 and give everyone who purchases a system a copy of Horizon and a beej? They'll def win then!

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally able to post again damn felt like an eternity reading this without being able to post, very happy for a great performance for all consoles and also happy about SW (Star Wars) not selling according to some reports.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read this after posting my previous post...fair enough :)

Like I said, even with your actual knowledge of accurate sales info...even you have to admit you are making your own speculation/guess of what the final November's sales numbers are based on your segment of data, right?

Yours is probably more accurate speculations than 99% of people in this thread...but it's still speculation.

Its not speculation. I know from data who is performing what for a decently large percentage of US data.

I'm simply saying that is not the entire picture. No one has the entire picture but NPD. I'm not going to outright make definitive statements because I don't have 100% market visibility. That's only fair to everyone that I don't mislead anyone. Different data sets from different sources can have different outcomes. Look at Amazon. That's a pretty good chunk of market share, and yet their software best sellers list is not indicative of the broader market. Same could easily happen with the sort of visibility I have.

Just saying unless I state I'm speculating it usually is coming from a source of data so its probably worth noting if you feel up to it.

Edit - but enough about me eveyone I don't want to turn this into a thread about me lol. I just wanted to throw some stuff in the mix so I'm gonna lay low a bit for a while. Cheers!

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017

I think you shouldn't bother responding to him anymore. He's seems to have made up his mind about the outcome and you've been going around in a circle with this discussion.
He made it's pretty blatantly obvious where he stands.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Finally able to post again damn felt like an eternity reading this without being able to post, very happy for a great performance for all consoles and also happy about SW not selling according to some reports.

Hahah I read SW as Switch first and I thought that you were seeking troubles lol. I guess you mean Star Wars BF 2 ?
In that case, I couldn't agree more.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If Ps4 is 199 for a week or two in Dec, then they have Dec locked .

We will see but Nintendo has historically done very well relatively in December. They are resonating with the kids/family audience like no one.
I am not sure that these deals will be as effective as in November and Sony would probably make more money by keeping a higher price.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I've read the last 11 pages, and the overall takeaway seems to shift with every page, so... can someone please summarize where we stand?

• For Black Friday, what console was the big winner? I have to assume it was the PS4, the deal was too good to pass up on, followed by Xbox One, followed by Switch, which had no discounts- am i right?
  • What has the stock been like? Mostly curious about PS4, Xbox One X, and Switch. My understanding is that PS4 is sold out, Switch is in good supply, and Xbox One X, no reports?
  • Do we have an idea of how good all three consoles have done over the month so far?
Thank you to anyone who replies!

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Wow, sounds like everyone did really well, which is great for the industry. Really interested to see the numbers on the 199 consoles to see what kind of effect that price point has

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bit behind on the thread, well really behind, but BF II is predicted to be low in sales?

I doubt that, The Sony bundle alone will shift the game.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I've read the last 11 pages, and the overall takeaway seems to shift with every page, so... can someone please summarize where we stand?

• For Black Friday, what console was the big winner? I have to assume it was the PS4, the deal was too good to pass up on, followed by Xbox One, followed by Switch, which had no discounts- am i right?
  • What has the stock been like? Mostly curious about PS4, Xbox One X, and Switch. My understanding is that PS4 is sold out, Switch is in good supply, and Xbox One X, no reports?
  • Do we have an idea of how good all three consoles have done over the month so far?

I'll try to summarize this thread.

PS4 is winning the anecdotal evidence on era by a landslide. However it has been selling out at many online retailers, and we don't know the stock situation. People in retail on era seem to point to the PS4 moving the most units.

Adobe Analytics is showing data indicating Xbox One X and Switch the most popular consoles sold online. But many question the legitimacy.
http://www.businessinsider.com/black-fridays-most-popular-items-online-2017-11

Target is showing Xbox One and Switch as popular BF items. But "popular" could mean many things and not necessarily units sold.

Gamespot has indicated the PS4 as one of their hottest sellers at their stores. With the PS4 Pro, Switch and One S the most popular online.

Xbox One X is selling better then analyst predicated and that will also be factored into Nov npd.

November is completely up in the air.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

The overall takeaway I've gotten is that regardless of who "wins" Black Friday all console manufacturers will be happy with their November sales.

We haven't had as much info on software but I'm guess brisk hardware sales will mean good software sales. Would also be nice to know how 3DS performed in its last holiday, but I don't believe we've gotten many comments on it.

Edit: I will add that from my interperetation of comments it looks like PS4 may have performed best on BF with MS also having a strong BF. Nintendo was behind on BF but have had a good month overall.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll try to summarize this thread.

PS4 is winning the anecdotal evidence on era by a landslide. However it has been selling out at many online retailers, and we don't know the stock situation. People in retail on era seem to point to the PS4 moving the most units.

Adobe Analytics is showing data indicating Xbox One X and Switch the most popular consoles sold online. But many question the legitimacy.
http://www.businessinsider.com/black-fridays-most-popular-items-online-2017-11

Target is showing Xbox One and Switch as popular BF items. But "popular" could mean many things and not necessarily units sold.

Gamespot has indicated the PS4 as one of their hottest sellers at their stores. With the PS4 Pro, Switch and One S the most popular online.

Xbox One X is selling better then analyst predicated and that will also be factored into Nov npd.

November is completely up in the air.

Any word on the software?

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017

My takeaway is that PS4 is selling the fastest, but all 3 are doing well. PS4 is selling out at many places.

My guess is, PS4 wins Black Friday weekend, but XB1 edges PS4 for the month due to the XB1X launch. NSW will be third.

I say PS4 takes December comfortably though.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
When I say Temper I'm saying just don't expect crazy numbers for it.

It's still doing well, and I haven't said otherwise. Just don't expect some sort of out of nowhere huge performance.

Keep in mind I don't have all data. No one does. I have a large amount of it but there very well may be things I'm missing. Don't take my word as gospel
Just for context, does "crazy number" begin from a million or is such a number more of a given for a well-performing console?

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have no idea, for what that's worth.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Another factor I've been thinking about that could affect Switch sales more than other consoles is just general word of mouth.

The system simply sells itself. The more people who have it, the more of their friends will experience it and want to buy it. I think this will do more for Switch sales than any commercial Nintendo comes up with. I don't think this is as much the case with the PS4 and XB1. Probably hasn't been the case at all since the Wii.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Memba when people were giving Nintendo shit for running out of stock in its launch month and for months thereafter? Memba now how people are giving Nintendo shit for being well stocked now and for the last few months? I memba.

Also, maybe Sony could drop the price to $3.99 and give everyone who purchases a system a copy of Horizon and a beej? They'll def win then!

Reading that gave me a headache, thanks!

Oct 28, 2017

giphy.gif

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Happy that everyone seems to be doing well

Would be surprised if the final result is anything but PS4>Xbox>Switch. I hope no one expected a $300 system to outsell a heavily discounted $200 one...

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

My real reaction. Thanks you.

mjl.gif

Oct 27, 2017
My takeaway is that PS4 is selling the fastest, but all 3 are doing well. PS4 is selling out at many places.

My guess is, PS4 wins Black Friday weekend, but XB1 edges PS4 for the month due to the XB1X launch. NSW will be third.

I say PS4 takes December comfortably though.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. XB1X launching this month at $500 isn't going to push it past a $199 PS4 associated with all the hot games this holiday season. PS4s being sold out only confirm that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Another factor I've been thinking about that could affect Switch sales more than other consoles is just general word of mouth.

The system simply sells itself. The more people who have it, the more of their friends will experience it and want to buy it. I think this will do more for Switch sales than any commercial Nintendo comes up with. I don't think this is as much the case with the PS4 and XB1. Probably hasn't been the case at all since the Wii.
Hmm, the PS4 definitely sold itself, pretty much every console gets sales from people's friends owning it too.
It's just simply not on sale, whereas the PS4 and XB1 are pretty much the cheapest they've ever been.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
The more people who have it, the more of their friends will experience it and want to buy it. I think this will do more for Switch sales than any commercial Nintendo comes up with. I don't think this is as much the case with the PS4 and XB1.

I'm not so sure about this one. Conventional wisdom dictates that people factor in the console choices of their friends when deciding which to purchase themselves; similarly, it's easy to imagine many buying into a given ecosystem and games in primarily because it's a common activity shared by their social group. Perhaps not quite the same as someone seeing a PS4 and being badazzled by, idk, the light bar or something, but I find it dubious that the social influence of the Switch far outstrips its competitors.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. XB1X launching this month at $500 isn't going to push it past a $199 PS4 associated with all the hot games this holiday season. PS4s being sold out only confirm that.

Perhaps but it had what? 1-2 months of pre orders accumulated before it even went on sale? That's all in addition to the sales it's been getting since launch to now. Plus the $189S is gaining serious momentum. It's already #17 for the month on amazon. Thats with Scorpio and X both around the #20 mark. I'd say it's anyones game.

Status
Not open for further replies.