• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about this one. Conventional wisdom dictates that people factor in the console choices of their friends when deciding which to purchase themselves; similarly, it's easy to imagine many buying into a given ecosystem and games in primarily because it's a common activity shared by their social group. Perhaps not quite the same as someone seeing a PS4 and being badazzled by, idk, the light bar or something, but I find it dubious that the social influence of the Switch far outstrips its competitors.
I didn't mean in order to have what their friends are having, I meant just being able to experience the console first hand, which many would be able to do if their friends had one, is important.

Basically, I see a lot of people playing a friend's Switch, thinking "Wow! this is cool!" and then rushing out to buy it for themselves than I do about the PS4 or XBox. I've seen stories from posters on this very forum that demonstrate this. Not to mention, the portable and flexible nature of the console makes it a lot easier to show off. Not that the PS4 and XB1 aren't good consoles, they are just way more similar to their predecessors than the Switch is to any other console. You basically know what you're buying in their case.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't mean in order to have what their friends are having, I meant just being able to experience the console first hand, which many would be able to do if their friends had one, is important.

Basically, I see a lot of people playing a friend's Switch, thinking "Wow! this is cool!" and then rushing out to buy it for themselves than I do about the PS4 or XBox. I've seen stories from posters on this very forum that demonstrate this. Not to mention, the portable and flexible nature of the console makes it a lot easier to show off. Not that the PS4 and XB1 aren't good consoles, they are just way more similar to their predecessors than the Switch is to any other console. You basically know what you're buying in their case.

Sure. Anecdotally it's happened with me; two people have used my Switch and bought units for themselves. I was just questioning whether the net effect on sales would be any different to comparable (but not identical) social dynamics for other systems. I doubt it's possible to accurately quantify, so I guess it'll remain a guessing game.

Local co-op and such is definitely an underappreciated aspect of the Switch and its appeal, at least around here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not only do I agree with all of this, my post never implied anything contrary to it. Were you just using it as a springboard to make a larger point?

My point is a 900k result for Switch in November would really only disappoint someone with unrealistic expectations.

Yeah I was only expanding on your post/argument not trying to convince or lecture you about the Switch situation. I agree with what you said. People expecting numbers that the Switch could achieve in year 2 or year 3 in 2017 will be disappointed.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
DS and Wii were never as expensive as the Switch though... Actually they were much cheaper than their direct competition which helped them a lot. They also didn't manage those numbers in their first Holidays.

Switch numbers will be good regardless.... But they won't sell this year numbers that are reserved for whenever they can hit 200-250 and have a massive stock. 2017 isn't the year.

Wii was only held back by stock, it could have did 3 million + easy it's first holiday

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. XB1X launching this month at $500 isn't going to push it past a $199 PS4 associated with all the hot games this holiday season. PS4s being sold out only confirm that.
Most of the XBX sales will have come from the months of pre-orders and early adopters. The PS4 price doesn't really have much to do with it seeing as the people buying it likely aren't price sensitive in the first place. Why buy an IPhone X when you can get a 6 etc

Also the base XB1S is $189. It's not gonna sell terribly either

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah, I'm not expecting Switch on top, that would be insane. Demand is there especially in the US, but sub $ 200 systems as deals will pull a lot of attention.

Switch will do well, thats all.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. XB1X launching this month at $500 isn't going to push it past a $199 PS4 associated with all the hot games this holiday season. PS4s being sold out only confirm that.

Xbox one X launch could be 500k-700k head start for MS. BF seems neck to neck for all three, it's very hard for PS4 to overcome that lead.

My prediction, Xbox>Switch>PS4 for NPD.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The overall takeaway I've gotten is that regardless of who "wins" Black Friday all console manufacturers will be happy with their November sales.

We haven't had as much info on software but I'm guess brisk hardware sales will mean good software sales. Would also be nice to know how 3DS performed in its last holiday, but I don't believe we've gotten many comments on it.

Edit: I will add that from my interperetation of comments it looks like PS4 may have performed best on BF with MS also having a strong BF. Nintendo was behind on BF but have had a good month overall.

My takeaway is that PS4 is selling the fastest, but all 3 are doing well. PS4 is selling out at many places.

My guess is, PS4 wins Black Friday weekend, but XB1 edges PS4 for the month due to the XB1X launch. NSW will be third.

I say PS4 takes December comfortably though.

I have no idea, for what that's worth.
Thank you so much for the responses :)

I think it is clear all three did well, and the specifics will be more splitting hairs than anything st this point. Thankfully the industry is healthy again! I'm personally predicting and expecting PS4, Xbox, Switch in that order but it will be fascinating to see how it turns out nonetheless!

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're underestimating the amount of XB1X's that were moved earlier in the month at launch. There are a lot of hungry core Xbox fans that would pay anything to upgrade.
Most of the XB1X sales will be from pre-orders and on launch week, but I think they'll sell 400-500K for the month. I think XB1X sales will be really front-loaded though, you can already see sales slowing down.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cod ww2 must be moving like crazy because on Ps4 leaderboards on competitive moved from 7M to >7.5M this Friday alone, let's see how it develops during the rest of the weekend.

Can anyone check them on Xbox?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
We've had quite a few reports from this thread and while I understand that it's nice to see the things we enjoy do well, please tone down the console wars. It's been a great month for video games so don't act like we're split into factions. Every system has something going for them and that should please us as fans of this medium.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone is saying congrats and that the most important thing is they all sell well. But we all know as soon as we know who wins it's going to be DOOM for the other two places and what a beast/monster for first place. Haha

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
We've had quite a few reports from this thread and while I understand that it's nice to see the things we enjoy do well, please tone down the console wars. It's been a great month for video games so don't act like we're split into factions. Every system has something going for them and that should please us as fans of this medium.

I agree and thanks. This will be a huge month for all consoles which is good for all gamers.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Good Morning, all you info-crazed folks. I'm just kidding, the analysis and speculation was what originally led me to join GAF way back when, and why I still made a decision to come over here when things fell apart over there. It's also that time of year, there is a palpable tension in the air when it comes to shopping related topics. It just becomes easier for people to try to make a point and have things get more personal than intended, especially when they happen to be more invested in any particular ecosystem. At the same time, that SalesEra has had such a great group of people who still make an effort to look at things beyond their own personal appetites and biases and communicate together is why I'm still willing to share details with everyone. Even when I'm exhausted like right now.

On that note: Well, it's the Saturday after Black Friday. The last 36 hours were draining as hell. whoever thought it was a good idea to start opening on Thanksgiving Day proper gets no points in my book. 2 long shifts with a single pause in between to sleep. I can say that I'm very proud of the way my team handled themselves in the face of customers who were more than a little earnest about doorbusters.

I've tried to read through the thread to get a feel for some general questions people had, so I can offer whatever summary I can off the top of my head. I'm heading back in in a little while, so it will be as detailed as I can manage.

My home store, and every other store in my district, completely exhausted inventory of the 1TB PS4s by the EOD on Friday night. This is a lot of PS4s. My home store had well over 100 of those consoles ready for purchase (I won't say close to the actual number, but we had plenty of inventory for a promo sale item). We also sold a respectable number of pros, but I feel that was more an opportunity sale thing for customers getting 4k TVs dirt cheap. The BFII Bundles were not a hot ticket item, but I didn't expect them to be. The price point was almost laughable in comparison, and when I mentioned it to our Sony rep, I got the feeling that that's more a December plan to move those, similar to last year, so we'll see. The movie will likely create another peak of Star Wars interest and maybe EA can boost the title's image. I'm expecting some kind of restock on the 1TB systems by Monday, though I have no idea what that will look like, that's just how Sony has typically operated on these matters in the past.

PSVR sold out of what inventory we had at quite a few of our stores. The deals on it, and the continued demos we've been doing have helped make it that much more accessible to people. Not to mention the new big ticket games like Skyrim offering serious, long term experiences to dive into. We didn't have tons of inventory to start with though, Sony seemed to have set realistic expectations on it, and even once we sold out, it isn't like we had tons of people asking, only a few.

We started out with fairly limited inventory of XB1Xs, and what was there, was just sold as a matter of course in the rush. I don't know exactly when the last unit was sold, but it wasn't during the initial doorbuster push, it was probably similar to the opportunity sales on 4k TVs that I was seeing with the Pro units. It's still new enough that those sales come for their own reasons, regardless. The XB1S units also sold very well, the promo for them attracted excellent sales and moved very good numbers. However, no store in our district sold out of the $189 systems as a comparison. They're still readily available, and will likely still sell some more over the weekend.

Switch stock was excellent by comparison with previous stock issues, and the system sold at a brisk pace throughout the Black Friday period, though at the same time, it not being bundled with any discounted rates, etc. made it just another base unit, it was selling well based on its own 'star power' (Is that a pun? Kind of...), so with that in mind, the amount it sold so far was still excellent. We had inventory left over at pretty much all stores in my district, though I wonder if it will be there after Monday. The 3DS was almost an afterthought by comparison, selling okay, moving some stock, but not really having any limelight other than being cheaper and having a solid existing library to work off of for people wanting Nintendo stuff.

Software wise, the various deals lead to massive sales of lots of different games. Made me really happy to see so many copies of Horizon going out, as it is one of my favorite games in a long time. Lots of various titles got picked clean, others only had a dent in their stock, so it's the fickle waves of who happens to be shopping where when it comes to actual software. All three core systems moved a lot of SW.

There you go guys. I survived! And let's keep our SalesEra focused and friendly. No need to get caught up in 'narratives', PR firms gonna PR, all that jazz. Sharing insights here and offering ideas of how things pan out across the larger cross section is what makes this all fascinating.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Good Morning, all you info-crazed folks. I'm just kidding, the analysis and speculation was what originally led me to join GAF way back when, and why I still made a decision to come over here when things fell apart over there. It's also that time of year, there is a palpable tension in the air when it comes to shopping related topics. It just becomes easier for people to try to make a point and have things get more personal than intended, especially when they happen to be more invested in any particular ecosystem. At the same time, that SalesEra has had such a great group of people who still make an effort to look at things beyond their own personal appetites and biases and communicate together is why I'm still willing to share details with everyone. Even when I'm exhausted like right now.

On that note: Well, it's the Saturday after Black Friday. The last 36 hours were draining as hell. whoever thought it was a good idea to start opening on Thanksgiving Day proper gets no points in my book. 2 long shifts with a single pause in between to sleep. I can say that I'm very proud of the way my team handled themselves in the face of customers who were more than a little earnest about doorbusters.

I've tried to read through the thread to get a feel for some general questions people had, so I can offer whatever summary I can off the top of my head. I'm heading back in in a little while, so it will be as detailed as I can manage.

My home store, and every other store in my district, completely exhausted inventory of the 1TB PS4s by the EOD on Friday night. This is a lot of PS4s. My home store had well over 100 of those consoles ready for purchase (I won't say close to the actual number, but we had plenty of inventory for a promo sale item). We also sold a respectable number of pros, but I feel that was more an opportunity sale thing for customers getting 4k TVs dirt cheap. The BFII Bundles were not a hot ticket item, but I didn't expect them to be. The price point was almost laughable in comparison, and when I mentioned it to our Sony rep, I got the feeling that that's more a December plan to move those, similar to last year, so we'll see. The movie will likely create another peak of Star Wars interest and maybe EA can boost the title's image. I'm expecting some kind of restock on the 1TB systems by Monday, though I have no idea what that will look like, that's just how Sony has typically operated on these matters in the past.

PSVR sold out of what inventory we had at quite a few of our stores. The deals on it, and the continued demos we've been doing have helped make it that much more accessible to people. Not to mention the new big ticket games like Skyrim offering serious, long term experiences to dive into. We didn't have tons of inventory to start with though, Sony seemed to have set realistic expectations on it, and even once we sold out, it isn't like we had tons of people asking, only a few.

We started out with fairly limited inventory of XB1Xs, and what was there, was just sold as a matter of course in the rush. I don't know exactly when the last unit was sold, but it wasn't during the initial doorbuster push, it was probably similar to the opportunity sales on 4k TVs that I was seeing with the Pro units. It's still new enough that those sales come for their own reasons, regardless. The XB1S units also sold very well, the promo for them attracted excellent sales and moved very good numbers. However, no store in our district sold out of the $189 systems as a comparison. They're still readily available, and will likely still sell some more over the weekend.

Switch stock was excellent by comparison with previous stock issues, and the system sold at a brisk pace throughout the Black Friday period, though at the same time, it not being bundled with any discounted rates, etc. made it just another base unit, it was selling well based on its own 'star power' (Is that a pun? Kind of...), so with that in mind, the amount it sold so far was still excellent. We had inventory left over at pretty much all stores in my district, though I wonder if it will be there after Monday. The 3DS was almost an afterthought by comparison, selling okay, moving some stock, but not really having any limelight other than being cheaper and having a solid existing library to work off of for people wanting Nintendo stuff.

Software wise, the various deals lead to massive sales of lots of different games. Made me really happy to see so many copies of Horizon going out, as it is one of my favorite games in a long time. Lots of various titles got picked clean, others only had a dent in their stock, so it's the fickle waves of who happens to be shopping where when it comes to actual software. All three core systems moved a lot of SW.

There you go guys. I survived! And let's keep our SalesEra focused and friendly. No need to get caught up in 'narratives', PR firms gonna PR, all that jazz. Sharing insights here and offering ideas of how things pan out across the larger cross section is what makes this all fascinating.
Great write-up, thanks a lot! Looks like everything did very well, as we deduced from elsewhere to some extent. Glad to hear everything is doing well!

With regards to the Switch, can you say anything about the pace of sales compared to the rest of the month? I expect a sizeable uptick during BF, yet since it doesn't have a price reduction, I wonder how its sales compare to the rest of the month's pace.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Thankyou so much Abdiel, appreciated as always! It makes me genuinely happy to see all three do well. :)

Im still kinda clueless, but if I had to guess I would say ps4>xb1>switch for this month. But to be honest, as long as all are selling well, the rankings don't really matter.

rip 3ds, we had a good run :(

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Great month for the three hardware maker it seems.

Great month for MS with the launch and the Xbox One X, the 189 dollars Xbox One S 500 GB deal.

Same for Sony with the 199 dollars 1Tb black Friday.

Same thing for Nintendo without deal and some stock for December where it will probably be the hottest item out of a possible sub 200 dollars discount from Sony or Microsoft.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would be very surprised to not see the Xbox One (family) on number 1. Followed by Switch, then PS4. Although those placements are a toss up.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thank you my friend.

Glad everything is doing exceptional well, specially VR since I'm buying mine soon.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Personally I would be very surprised to not see the Xbox One (family) on number 1. Followed by Switch, then PS4. Although those placements are a toss up.
Yeah, XB1X is a distinct advantage for Microsoft. PS4, on the other hand, seems to have been the biggest seller during BF from what we can gather, so it has a distinct chance at being number one as well. Switch is hardest to predict imo: from Benji we got the idea that Switch was clearly behind the other two during/around BF, but it has been mentioned by both Benji and Abdiel that Switch sales have been brisk outside of this week as well, so maybe it can make up the ground lost during/around Black Friday. The final results will be really interesting.
Everyone is saying congrats and that the most important thing is they all sell well. But we all know as soon as we know who wins it's going to be DOOM for the other two places and what a beast/monster for first place. Haha
Good thing DOOM is out for all platforms now, so everyone can be DOOMed!

Oct 25, 2017

Just the man I was waiting for.

+1

Quick question about PS4. Sony obviously sold a lot of slims, but do you think they were being a little conservative with the stock they gave you? Do you think they could have given you more?

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, XB1X is a distinct advantage for Microsoft. PS4, on the other hand, !

Well yes and no. On one hand it seems like the XB1X did ok/good, but up until this month the XB1s has not been performing that great, while PS4 has been doing pretty good, pro doing so so. So I think the drop in Xb1s sales would have had a major impact in MS winning the month. I suspect the $199 PS3 has just push PS4 to a different level, also the drop in price for the Pro has given that a good boost also. The drop in price of the Xb1s will have helped somewhat.. but overall I think all in all, its going to go like this - PS4 > XB > Switch.... but I think as long as all do over 1m for the month I would count that as a great month for all.

Also what others have said, great news about Horizon ZD, its a fantastic game (except for the devs ruining my 100% on trophies by adding those annoying difficulty trophies). I'm still shocked by EG not giving it a recommended.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
So the big takeaway is that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft can all have consoles out and be really successful. I remember the days when people thought it an impossibility to have more than 2 successful consoles during the same time period.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the input Abdiel as always, Great to see PSVR selling so well do you guys expect to get lore stock soon on them?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Because some think it's new Wii. Wii didn't need any deals to crush competition.
It doesn't need to be the new Wii to outsell it long term (not saying it will though)

Because that's where this whole Wii debate comes from right? Kimishima pondering the the possibility of it outdoing the Wii as well as a couple of analysts.

Also Wii WAS a deal compared to competition. 250 again friggin 600 and whatever Xbox 360 was at the time. It really needed no discounts because it was already cheap as fuck.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't need to be the new Wii to outsell it long term.

Because that's where this whole Wii debate comes from right? Kimishima pondering the the possibility of it outdoing the Wii as well as a couple of analysts.

Also Wii WAS a deal compared to competition. 250 again friggin 600 and whatever Xbox 360 was at the time.

Here in Portugal price was not 600.

Wii - 249.99€
Xbox 360 - 419.99€
Playstation 3 - 599.99€ (60gb model)

But yeah total different market back then, thing is Switch will have much better longevity than Wii ever did, it's not like it'll stop selling anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.