• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
You know they say that all consoles are created equal, but you look at PS4 and you look at Xbox One and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another console, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But the PS4 is a genetic beast and is not normal! So the Xbox One got a 25%, AT BEST, to beat PS4.Then you add Nintendo Switch to the mix, the Xbox One's chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, for November's NPD, Xbox One got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but PS4, PS4 got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Nintendo Switch KNOWS it can't beat PS4 and its not even gonna try!

So Xbox One, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus the PS4's 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at November's NPD. But then you take the PS4's 75% chance of winning, if these two were to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, the PS4 got 141 2/3 chance of winning at November's NPD. See Xbox One, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at November's NPD.
Thank you Professor Steiner.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"We sold more consoles than we ever have in our 22-year history, and Plus is a natural addition to that purchase," Lempel says.

I mean with what he's saying it sound's like playstation will have a massive November.

He is talking about WW sales, Ps4 sales are much stronger on Europe than US so we don't know how much of it was sold in US.

All I know is that those cheap bundles sold out in Portugal at least at Media Markt.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
So Nintendo solved the stock issues, that's great.
They had to. It launched several months ago and it's their first holiday season. It was time.
He edited it after I posted, but he used this image while linking the twitter post

image_thumb127.png

Which is why I was saying he was being an ass about it.
I removed it, because some people couldn't handle the 'welp' Reggie pic, as it seems. I mean seriously? It's funny man! Chuckle!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I mean if you're gonna try to be an ass about it with the picture, I might as well counter it with the analytics based on online sales on Thanksgiving and on the 24th:

https://landing.adobe.com/en/na/solutions/digital-index/ctir-2840-holiday-predictions-2017/

image.png

image.png

This post is embarrassing. The fact that you called him an ass for merely posting a tweet containing legitimate sales information and then felt compelled to post your own as some form of a counter attack is cringe-inducing.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally the only dude who responded to it and it was still there before my posted submitted.

This post is embarrassing. The fact that you called him an ass for merely posting a tweet containing legitimate sales information and then felt compelled to post your own as some form of a counter attack is cringe-inducing.

Have you not been following the series of posts that are happening.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused.... Why is he "an ass" for posting a sales tweet from an analyst?

Also, why do you "counter" a retail update with an online report on a day known for big retail sales?

The post from John Bender has been edited: it had a famous pic of Reggie to accompany it, this one

gamecube_fils_aime.jpg

Also, it's better to highlight what the report itself says, i.e. that is based on what Wedbush Secutiries saw by visiting multiple stores as of Friday morning.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Winning an NPD month is such a weird concept to me. MS, Sony, Nintendo want to make money. Any one could win if they go low enough.

All three will have done well and that is healthy for gaming.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Winning an NPD month is such a weird concept to me. MS, Sony, Nintendo want to make money. Any one could win if they go low enough.
The only problem I see is that they they won't go below $199 next year. My guess is $199 again with 1 or 2 games.
No way they go $149 for November 2018 imo.

Like I've already seen that tweet 20 minutes before he posted it and I was already like "yeah that's about right" and that's what I would've said here until he used that image as a way of goading.
Dude. It's a funny pic. Posted a billion times. Relax.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
... I've always been amazed by the proclivity of feces to move in a downward direction via a slab of porcelain quite rapidly in this specific thread.

Anyway, it's no surprise imo that PS4 and XB1 would be outpacing Switch sales during the BF weekend, so I don't see why we need to make a big deal out of this. I am interested in seeing what the sources are that the analyst in question used to arrive at the conclusion, to see how it stacks up to the sources we can pull from in this thread.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
weirdly....if stock is sorted, I'm more interested in Switch's January, February and March NPDs than November and December.

I wonder how it'll sell when things are settled, espcially if Q1 is light in terms of releases. Part of me thinks those will be its lower months of 2018, so it'll be interesting to see.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo did great for having competition over $100 cheaper than them because parents are looking for deals during Black Friday and it shows they had enough stock.

If they can get Pokémon ready for October/November 2018 they sales will continue to grow.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Talk about NPD numbers, and refrain from engaging in console war nonsense.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
weirdly....if stock is sorted, I'm more interested in Switch's January, February and March NPDs than November and December.

I wonder how it'll sell when things are settled, espcially if Q1 is light in terms of releases. Part of me thinks those will be its lower months of 2018, so it'll be interesting to see.
I thought they're gonna have a Direct in January? Or was that just a rumor? Maybe the first Metroid Prime 4 trailer and well, the hype stays alive.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they're gonna have a Direct in January? Or was that just a rumor? Maybe the first Metroid Prime 4 trailer and well, the hype stays alive.
It's speculation, but it's going to happen.
I'm talking about releases in those 3 months though. I can see Kirby in Feb or March. It's hard to see any other big games that early. I could see AC or Pikmin as the notable May game. But Q1 will be relatively light.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. I actually thought it was confirmed. I thought maybe... just maybe Retro would announce their new game there.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Add to the fact that Reggie had already mentioned their 2018 plans would be discussed AFTER the holiday focus also infers a probable January direct.
I thought the January Direct thingy was confirmed or a reddit leak etc. Dang.

Anything is possible, but I feel like it's 100% to have a Direct in January. I mean when else are they going to talk about 2018 games? Lol Retros game being there or not is a different thing.
It's the only game that interests me after Xenoblade Chronicles 2 =/

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
The estimation and treatment of consumer demand is a far more complicated issue than many users here seem to think. It's a problem of foreseeing quantity, but also quality (or choice) of the product. As there are multiple players in the chain, we do not only have manufacturers and consumers, but also retailers who preorder, and therefor add another layer of insecurity and guesswork. In the end, overproduction and overshipment might be as harmful as stock shortage and cannot always be fixed in a short amount of time.

Whoever questions the complexity of this affair never prepared lunchboxes.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If we weren't too busy throwing shit at each other (from the one who started it with pointless agitation, to the one who responded to it in kind), we'd see that this falls in context to info in this very thread. Benji said it a few days back: Switch had a better Black Friday than it did Thanksgiving in his data, and this report is of *Friday* morning at a time at which the PS4 would have indeed been sold out (as we, again, know from this thread).

That said, the actual basis of the report is kind of anecdotal but its hard to gauge how many stores they visited or how regularly they visited them to inform a suitable sample size.

So somewhere in this mess, we actually got some neat data that matches previous reports but, of course, it had to be thrown into the lion's pit strapped with raw meat.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we weren't too busy throwing shit at each other (from the one who started it with pointless agitation, to the one who responded to it in kind), we'd see that this falls in context to info in this very thread. Benji said it a few days back: Switch had a better Black Friday than it did Thanksgiving in his data, and this report is of *Friday* morning at a time at which the PS4 would have indeed been sold out (as we, again, know from this thread).

That said, the actual basis of the report is kind of anecdotal but its hard to gauge how many stores they visited or how regularly they visited them to inform a suitable sample size.

So somewhere in this mess, we actually got some neat data that matches previous reports but, of course, it had to be thrown into the lion's pit strapped with raw meat.

I missed this exchange this morning but I wish we could avoid low brow stuff like this. For at least six months from the launch of the Switch, because of the shortages, the general message on the old forums and other places on the internet was "How could Nintendo not meet demand? How foolish of them!" and finally now in the U.S. stock is beginning to ramp up, and people are quick to use the fact that they are seeing units in stores as a sign of the system not doing well all of a sudden, despite it being the busiest period of the year.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

*So somewhere in this mess, we actually got some neat data that matches previous reports but, of course, it had to be thrown into the lion's pit strapped with raw meat.*

I love that ending right there lol. Very fitting.

And agreed basically, anecdote is anecdotal.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I missed this exchange this morning but I wish we could avoid low brow stuff like this. For at least six months from the launch of the Switch, because of the shortages, the general message on the old forums and other places on the internet was "How could Nintendo not meet demand? How foolish of them!" and finally now in the U.S. stock is beginning to ramp up, and people are quick to use the fact that they are seeing units in stores as a sign of the system not doing well all of a sudden, despite it being the busiest period of the year.
Yeah. I think the fact that the Switch is doing so well with no discount goes to show how successful it is and can be.

I mean, Adobe reporting that it was the best selling product overall, not just console, online is insane.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you're gonna try to be an ass about it with the picture, I might as well counter it with the analytics based on online sales on Thanksgiving and on the 24th:

https://landing.adobe.com/en/na/solutions/digital-index/ctir-2840-holiday-predictions-2017/

EDIT: main response was towards goading via image that was conveniently edited out right when I posted this.

This Adobe report is pretty fascinating to me. It also shows the Switch as the top selling product for Cyber Monday. As far as I can tell, the Switch is the only item other than Hatchimals that shows up in all six of the key dates for November that they show. And yet I had a similar experience to what some others have stated when I went to Best Buy last night and saw a stack of at least 30 Switches on the floor. Granted, they appeared to be completely out of neon.

So this makes me wonder about some things. Is there a big discrepancy in online shopping vs brick and mortar with the Switch? Is there something inherent in how Adobe processes data that is causing the Switch to be boosted more than it should? Or maybe the simpler answer is the best one: stores just have that much stock that the Switch can sell extremely well but stay in great supply (as to one SKU at least).

Regardless, pretty much everyone in the US who wants a Switch this Christmas should be able to get one without too much effort, it seems, and that didn't always seem like a guarantee.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, pretty much everyone in the US who wants a Switch this Christmas should be able to get one without too much effort, it seems, and that didn't always seem like a guarantee.

This is the conclusion I'm beginning to come to. I thought it might get harder to find the system as we moved deeper into the season, but I'm not so sure that will end up being the case, aside from maybe the final week or so before Christmas.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This Adobe report is pretty fascinating to me. It also shows the Switch as the top selling product for Cyber Monday. As far as I can tell, the Switch is the only item other than Hatchimals that shows up in all six of the key dates for November that they show. And yet I had a similar experience to what some others have stated when I went to Best Buy last night and saw a stack of at least 30 Switches on the floor. Granted, they appeared to be completely out of neon.

So this makes me wonder about some things. Is there a big discrepancy in online shopping vs brick and mortar with the Switch? Is there something inherent in how Adobe processes data that is causing the Switch to be boosted more than it should? Or maybe the simpler answer is the best one: stores just have that much stock that the Switch can sell extremely well but stay in great supply (as to one SKU at least).

With these actual reports showing how well the Switch is selling online, I'm starting to just think that Nintendo stockpiled and shipped a TON of Switches to stores. That's why it's not selling out and that there are "stacks of Switches untouched!" in stores.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Single anecdotes don't mean much but I couldn't find a single Switch at my Best Buy (in MD) on Sunday. Plenty of PS4 CoD bundles and XB1S Madden bundles but very few Nintendo products overall. The Switch game shelves were also fairly empty, I saw a few copies of ARMS, FE Warriors and Binding of Isaac but not all that much else. No Odyssey.

So while it might not be hard to find in general (and seems to still be easy to order online) it's most certainly sold out in some stores. Could just be down to distribution of stock, my Best Buy isn't really in the busiest location.

I'm not trying to claim that it sold better in brick and mortar than the others (insider reports seem to indicate this isn't the case), just that there are some anecdotes on the other end of the spectrum too.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
holy cow,this topic became kind of toxic quickly... Imagine if we had numbers...

Note aside, while I was in London and Barcelona just recently, Nintendo UK and Gamestop had some awesome switch bundles, but none below 299 pound or Euros. I went to a small video game shop and they said they sold a few, but people were expecting 299 for the switch and a game at least.
Hopefully it did well.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
With these actual reports showing how well the Switch is selling online, I'm starting to just think that Nintendo stockpiled and shipped a TON of Switches to stores. That's why it's not selling out and that there are "stacks of Switches untouched!" in stores.

Well, I believe there was an article about Nintendo planning to sell at least half of their sales for the year during December and November. So, the shipments for Switches in Nov and Dec would have to be around the total of what was shipped in the prior 8 months or so.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the conclusion I'm beginning to come to. I thought it might get harder to find the system as we moved deeper into the season, but I'm not so sure that will end up being the case, aside from maybe the final week or so before Christmas.

I'm not sure I agree with this line of thinking. Nintendo systems typically tend to be a hot gift and with this being the Switch's first holiday, I can see demand increasing the closer we get to Christmas week. The other thing to consider is though there is a good Switch supply right now doesn't mean that it will stay that way. It's quite possible for Nintendo to have shipped the bulk of their holiday shipment already and what we're seeing on shelves is going to be the majority of what will be available, and if so, that stock will dwindle each day. I remember even last year 3DSes were sold out at most of the retailers. A lot of variables though, so we'll see as the days and weeks go on.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with this line of thinking. Nintendo systems typically tend to be a hot gift and with this being the Switch's first holiday, I can see demand increasing the closer we get to Christmas week. The other thing to consider is though there is a good Switch supply right now doesn't mean that it will stay that way. It's quite possible for Nintendo to have shipped the bulk of their holiday shipment already and what we're seeing on shelves is going to be the majority of what will be available, and if so, that stock will dwindle each day. I remember even last year 3DSes were sold out at most of the retailers. A lot of variables though, so we'll see as the days and weeks go on.

I'm operating under the assumption that Nintendo will have a healthy supply throughout December (ZhugeEX mentioned they may be airlifting consoles to NA this season), but yeah, it's possible that won't end up being the case.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That could be the case, Nintendo did say they had like 4 million Switches in their warehouses as of the end of October, ready to ship for the holidays. If those got shipped, then we would be seeing a big spike in stock right now, but maybe the future restocks aren't as sizeable. We will have to wait and see on that before casting final judgment I think.

December will definitely be interesting: there are several unanswered questions that might influence the sales: how many XB1X's will MS ship, will Sony repeat a $199 or similar deal for Christmas, how is the Switch stock situation going to be, and just how big will the Switch demand be, to name a few. Interesting times ahead!

I'm operating under the assumption that Nintendo will have a healthy supply throughout December (ZhugeEX mentioned they may be airlifting consoles to NA this season), but yeah, it's possible that won't end up being the case.
maybe they already did, and that's how they got their 4 million warehouse stock into retail pipelines. If we assume they will be airshipping stock all throughout the holidays, then stock issues could still arise in December. The large stock availability during November suggests to me that they may have been heavily shipping out their stock already. But we'll see how it turns out.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't back-seat mod. But please, don't console war if you would!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe they already did, and that's how they got their 4 million warehouse stock into retail pipelines. If we assume they will be airshipping stock all throughout the holidays, then stock issues could still arise in December. The large stock availability during November suggests to me that they may have been heavily shipping out their stock already. But we'll see how it turns out.

Yeah, this is all possible. The Switch stock appears to be huge at the moment.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is all possible. The Switch stock appears to be huge at the moment.

It is sold out on Amazon since this week-end tho. I think that Nintendo has sold a large part of what it shipped. Super Mario Odyssey has been a great hit and is sold out on Amazon.com and Amazon.fr. They are still going to need a great supply in order to get through December.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is sold out on Amazon since this week-end tho. I think that Nintendo has sold a large part of what it shipped. Super Mario Odyssey has been a great hit and is sold out on Amazon.com and Amazon.fr. They are still going to need a great supply in order to get through December.

Yeah, it's gone on Amazon (outside of third party sellers), but it appears to be in stock at many brick and mortar retailers. No doubt the system is moving in large numbers though.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason there were / are lots of Switch available is not because Nintendo shipped substantially more product than Sony or MS Black Friday week.

It's because they sold less

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The reason there were / are lots of Switch available is not because Nintendo shipped substantially more product than Sony or MS Black Friday week.

It's because they sold less

On Black Friday.* One day of the holiday shopping season. There were four weeks of November this month, and there will be five weeks of December. And the other two are sold out. Well, the PS4 is.

*possibly

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's gone on Amazon (outside of third party sellers), but it appears to be in stock at many brick and mortar retailers. No doubt the system is moving in large numbers though.

Retailers has stock but it won't last the whole Holiday season. The Switch has sold at a great pace during the whole month so I am expecting those stocks to vanish during early December. Now I am wondering when Nintendo is planning its big restock. Maybe for Xenoblade release ? However it is not a big selling game and Amazon.fr tells us that the Switch and SMO are coming back in stock the 12/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.