• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've told people over the last couple years that I've been posting here is that I do it because I learn things and there are users here that make me think about things in different ways and I appreciate it.

Over the last few months, this hasn't been the case. If people have questions, they can find me on twitter.

I don't blame you. These threads usually suck. Some great users like yourself drowned out by trolls and fanboys.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I didn't mean to mislead anyone and provided facts only because I enjoy reading the NPD prediction thread.

Just to be clear.
Xbox is Up YOY in dollar sales thanks to the X
X is the best selling Xbox Console in units & sales
But Xbox is down in number of units sold

All of these statements can be true i just want to make sure i'm understanding

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at those Spider-Man numbers. Not really surprising given the property, developer, and hype....but still! Congrats to Insomniac. You guys fucking deseve this!

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Calling other users out, trolling. Account still in junior phase.
Sorry I didn't mean to mislead anyone and provided facts only because I enjoy reading the NPD prediction thread.
No way you need to apologize man. People in prediction thread really appreciate you and Benji insight. Predicting sales is fun we do it for fun some people like Prine and xMaximusx just couldn't handle it

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, Spider-Man at #1 is disappointing. After all the hype from insiders I expected more.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pathetic how every insider is attacked. This people gain nothing helping us with some info, but always there some persons questioning their data.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
1 person months ago: "I think spiderman may not sell its a niche franchise"

Era every thread about spidey: "lul cant believe they all called it a niche franchise"

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So I've told people over the last couple years that I've been posting here is that I do it because I learn things and there are users here that make me think about things in different ways and I appreciate it.

Over the last few months, this hasn't been the case. If people have questions, they can find me on twitter.

X is the leading segment for dollar sales this year, while Base/S leads for units. If you want clarification on things you can just ask me instead of talking so much garbage.

It's a bit higher, mid-20s. I included everything with the Spider-Man brand, which also includes some PC stuff that doesn't get picked up on the aggregation sites.
Thanks for holding out as long as you did.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I never fail to be amazed how easily folk are tricked (conned is too harsh a word) by cleverly worded PR.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017

X is the leading segment for dollar sales this year, while Base/S leads for units. If you want clarification on things you can just ask me instead of talking so much garbage.

It's a bit higher, mid-20s. I included everything with the Spider-Man brand, which also includes some PC stuff that doesn't get picked up on the aggregation sites.
I don't think anyone, or most of them, meant any ill towards you, but if you feel like it's too much then it might be best to at least take some time away from Era.

I hope you do decide to come back at some point, you do great work.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt Mat was too good for this place tbh. All we do all day is say shit like "niche man" and "talent wins", arguing about dumb PR statements, acting petty when we're right, delusional when we're wrong... And now to top it all off we're seeing reaction image shitposting like we're on 4chan.

Dude should be growing his youtube channel and twitter account, he has everything for it.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

as someone who reads these threads more than actually partaking in them thanks for all the insight and just hanging out and shooting the shit. you and a few others helped make these threads actually worth a damn.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Marvel's Spider-Man breaks PlayStation exclusive record:
Marvel's Spider-Man achieved the highest launch month dollar sales for any PlayStation exclusive in history, and is the seventh largest launch ever achieved by any game on any PlayStation platform.

Marvel's Spider-Man generated higher dollars sales in its launch than any other game this year and currently ranks as the third best-selling game of 2018, and the #8 best-selling game over the last 12 months.

Marvel's Spider-Man achieved launch month sales 37 percent higher than the combined launch month sales of all other Spider-Man games released since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995.

bd3K5h3.gif

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Mat, I just noticed some of the worst posters trying to diminish you and those people are awful and moderation should hopefully punish them. I hope these subhuman posters don't deter you from continuing to engage with the community here, but if so, I understand and can't blame you and will engage with you on twitter. Thank you for everything you have done to give us context, insight, and personality with the information from NPD.

Subhuman, lmao.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always felt Mat was too good for this place tbh. All we do all day is say shit like "niche man" and "talent wins", arguing about dumb PR statements, acting petty when we're right, delusional when we're wrong... Dude should be growing his youtube channel and twitter account, he has everything for it.

Yep well said.

Labo being the straw that broke the camel's back as well sums this mess up perfectly. Labo. Freakin' Labo.

And it's only going to get worse once the holidays come of course so now's probably the best time to jump ship.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Well done Insomniac. Funny that a 3rd party is Sony's biggest game. Hopefully work well underway on a second one.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
User Banned (1 Week): Justifying harrassment of other members.
some of the replies in this thread, breh

time and time again, we've seen certain folks in here openly mock and laugh at others for disagreeing with their so called "predictions" and that was somehow okay. But as soon as someone calls them out on it, they're somehow seen as "subhuman" and "toxic" lmao

some of y'all aint slick, dont trip over yourselves

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
It's really sad to see how people mock or give shit to people like Benji and Mat who continue to actively give insight and commentary.

I've basically vanished from actively participating in the forum, I got tired of a lot of the crap, so I just kinda went dormant and became a watcher instead of a commenter. It's really depressing how people can take the good will of those who take their time and initiative to share their insight and access with people and shit all over them.

Maybe re-evaluate why you come to the forum and participate in these threads? If you can't do so with a clear mindset, this might not be worth even coming into the thread in the first place.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
PS4 continues to sell like a beast. Outperforming and breaking records monthly. How is it selling better than it did when it first came out...The console is on its last years yet its still absolutely killing. That's insanity. 100 million by March is happening. When all's said and done, it'll comfortably sit right under PS2 as the best selling system of all time. Spider-Man and RDR2 this year is going to kick it to 90+ alone. Spider-Man is equally impressive. Sales of that game are going to be ridiculous whenever Sony announces them. Wonder how much it sold.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
No, people have always said this since before the first kits came out. It was clear Nintendo was going for a soft launch strategy, and products like this always hit their stride around the holidays.
Again the narrative on the success of Labo has changed, similar to Monster Hunter and the legs talk. Not trying to keep bringing it up but if you go back and read the threads on Labo pre release the picture is quite different than what you're suggesting.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Insomniac, playing the game right now and I'm really enjoying It.

As for the other games, Forza Horizon is the main Forza game now, Tomb Raider did Ok and Square Enix should've released DQ in a more quiet month.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Some amazing number across the board. Congrats to Sony and Insominac for the success of Spiderman. Game is selling gangbusters.

With that said, I was not shocked at the Spiderman selling so well. What did shock me in the OP was that the "X" is currently the best selling Sku for MS. I knew they had the most dollars because of the price difference between the "S" and the "X", but for them to have the most units with the "X" as well is impressive and them being up 60% YOY in dollar sales is damn impressive. I really thought and Phil Spencer made the same comments that the "S" or "base" models would sell the most.

Great to see Forza Horizon 4 being the best selling Forza and racing game on Xbox. Game is so great glad to see it getting the attention it deservers.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

time and time again, we've seen certain folks in here openly mock and laugh at others for disagreeing with their so called "predictions" and that was somehow okay. But as soon as someone calls them out on it, they're somehow seen as "subhuman" and "toxic" lmao

If you don't understand that the insiders generally get the most abuse here I really don't know what to say to you.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You know if Matt's still here with like a 0.1% chance he'll change his mind this isn't the right way to go about things and make him feel welcome. Why the inverted commas over the word 'predictions' by the way?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those are some amazing results.

All the next few NPDs will also be really fun thanks to end of year sales, including January with Kingdom Hearts III and Resident Evil 2.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Lots of shitposts and console warriors in this thread, yeesh
Transitioning from Spidey for a second:
  • Reading that excerpt, it doesn't seem like SOTTR did too bad there. I don't have any interest in the Tomb Raider franchise but I do have interest in the rumored Guardians of the Galaxy game that Eidos Montreal is making and they don't need any added pressure from execs
  • Glad to see Odyssey crush it as well since it's apparently a very good video game going by reviews/impressions and has been getting heaps of negativity on the Internet despite that. Can't wait to pick it up on Black Friday!

That royally sucks. If you don't reconsider leaving I just want you to know that I appreciated your industry insight and will definitely follow you on Twitter and Youtube!
8otw-1432442892-43259-full.jpg

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1 person months ago: "I think spiderman may not sell its a niche franchise"

Era every thread about spidey: "lul cant believe they all called it a niche franchise"

It wasn't just one person though. Many thought it would underperform, and more still thought it would not outsell God of War. Some thought such talk was outright bonkers, that the Spider-Man IP in games simply didn't have that sort of sway. It certainly wasn't an isolated opinion.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm so confused on the x box talk in this thread. What on earth is going on? What was said earlier?

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I'm really curious, what's next for Insomniac. That must have been a crazy Ride. Congrats to the whole team!

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Yep well said.

Labo being the straw that broke the camel's back as well sums this mess up perfectly. Labo.

And it's only going to get worse once the holidays come of course so now' probably the best time to jump ship.
Labo causing so much schadenfreude is just plain weird in a sales thread. I think some people hated it from the start and just couldn't handle people genuinely believing in it and they've been partying ever since it became clear it would bomb. I mean the whole reason Mat belived in the project and was excited about it (I assume) was because of how disruptive and out of left field it was. When you follow sales data for so long that kind of project should at the very least interest you for its potential, instead it's being used as the butt of a joke. Makes you wonder what we're doing here really.