• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be this habit of people assuming game pass is this roaring success. Just a reminder, we have absolutely no idea how well game pass is doing.

I don't really care, but I remember people arguing to the death that Game Pass improves sales. I guess that has changed now? Or would it have charted even lower without GP? Which is it?
Thank you.

It's amazing how the narrative is changing now.

This is Gears we are talking about. Whatever the case, I hope this keeps ppl debates grounded in reality when talking about Game Pass.

So Sea of Thieves a better game confirmed?

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
retail sales and Gamepass subscriptions were the two success criteria for the game.
It would really be a bad outcome for Gears if it sold lukewarm at retail AND failed to add subscribers to Gamepass.

can you share your Gamepass subscription numbers so we know how you came to the conclusion that the game performed below expectations ?

MS already clearly stated that Gears 5 performed well and considered it a success. Don't know how some people think they know better than the company who published it. :D

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Monster Hunter got a big breakthrough in the west thanks to World, isn't DQ the only IP left that is huge in Japan but mostly unsuccesful in the West ?
i think so, yeah.
but unlike MH, DQ would need to massively and fundamentally change in order to do huge numbers in the west (i'm not sure it will even then), but that would come at the cost of japanese sales. MH went from selling ~4 million in japan to ~2 million, but instead gained a massive new userbase outside japan. no matter what DQ becomes, it'll never be able to sell 10 million, so it's probably best for them to just stick to what they're doing and sell 3-4 million in japan, and around 1 million outside of japan with each new mainline entry.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Dragon Quest just can't catch a break..

As a long time fan, so tired of seeing this happen. We don't deserve this series.
This is bad for Dragon Quest, isn't it?
Wish Dragon Quest did better.

NPD data does not include digital sales (like almost all Switch games) and its in Nintendos Voucher program, so real sales are probably a good chunk higher.

Spyro for example has digital sales on Switch included, thats really mess up the charts if you have games with/without digital sales in it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
p.s. the new addition to ur photo is a serve 🤩
you know, charli is an icon, she's a legend, and she IS the moment. so i have to represent.

Yup, it's only fair that the best selling version of the game receives an update.
doesn't matter how good it sold, it's done selling now. no company would put time and effort and personnel to update a two year old RPG. and if it's paid, just imagine how bad paid dlc for a year old JRPG would do.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Op is a bit confusing. Are all this statements from NPD or thoughts of the Op writer?

The Switch has definitely sold more than 15 mio, its a US only number.

The statements about Gear5 and hardware sales sound strangely a bit like "excuses". If you bring the late in cycle argument, you could mention that other consoles had better hardware sales even late in life cycle.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what PR is do you?
No picking on you as I have no idea your thoughts on Astral Chain but it's just amusing to me that when MS says Gears did well it's handwaved as PR, but when I brought up the notion Astral Chain May not have done that well I was informed that Nintendo and Platinum said it did well and I shouldn't be questioning it

again I don't think you were one of the people who told me that about Astral Chain so not attacking you just find the contrast amusing

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
i think so, yeah.
but unlike MH, DQ would need to massively and fundamentally change in order to do huge numbers in the west (i'm not sure it will even then), but that would come at the cost of japanese sales. MH went from selling ~4 million in japan to ~2 million, but instead gained a massive new userbase outside japan. no matter what DQ becomes, it'll never be able to sell 10 million, so it's probably best for them to just stick to what they're doing and sell 3-4 million in japan, and around 1 million outside of japan with each new mainline entry.
I don't want DQ to become a new FF indeed. Glad they are staying true to their roots even if it costs them more worldwilde recognition. FF is less and less popular in Japan also (and as a matter of fact it went from one of my fav IP to "wathever")

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No picking on you as I have no idea your thoughts on Astral Chain but it's just amusing to me that when MS says Gears did well it's handwaved as PR, but when I brought up the notion Astral Chain May not have done that well I was informed that Nintendo and Platinum said it did well and I shouldn't be questioning it

again I don't think you were one of the people who told me that about Astral Chain so not attacking you just find the contrast amusing
As far as I'm concerned a simple "game xy did well" is meaningless PR. We have absolutely no idea how much Astral Chain sold, what the budget was or how much units Nintendo considers a succes.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
itt people who forgot dragon quest doesn't push a lot of units in the West.

sad to see Nintendo push it so hard only for it not to chart here, if any series deserved that kind of push here it was DQ for sure

People forget that this is the first big budget DQ game since like 2001 with great graphics, big production vaues and a hugely extended scope. It's a big return to consoles on PS4, it's the first time the series is available Steam and PC which is usually great for big budget Japanese games and it's got an enhanced port and a big marketing push on of the most popular Nintendo consoles of all time. It had every chance but it looks like the sales on wildly popular platforms are still under the last DS games LTD which released on 1 platform and looked like a game from the 90's. In this context the sales are dissapointing for me.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
i think so, yeah.

2M for MHW is retail. The game was estimated at 3M or so

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

I disagree here. It really depends if the game is good or not. I know DQ Builders 2 demo convinced me to eventually buy the game, and that game wasn't on my radar at all.

About DQ11 demo, maybe people realized it was a very traditional DQ game, without originality, and decided not to buy the game they already played on other platform (like DS or 3DS).

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
retail sales and Gamepass subscriptions were the two success criteria for the game.
It would really be a bad outcome for Gears if it sold lukewarm at retail AND failed to add subscribers to Gamepass.

can you share your Gamepass subscription numbers so we know how you came to the conclusion that the game performed below expectations ?
I'm not sure why you keep talking about GP, I know what caused these results and even my first post on the first page said so, I'm specifically talking about unit sales which is what this thread is about.
Both FH3 and SoT fell week on week but Gears 5 didn't.

How would you explain that? Maybe there's a fantastic value Gears 5 bundle I'm unaware of?
Gears is a newer game and selling more than them?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
If anything I'm surprised people bought Gears 5 at all when considering how cheap it would have been to subscribe for a a month or 2. People who are in the long run for the Multiplayer ?

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to make Dragon Quest happen in the west, people. As long as it stays traditional, it's not going to be a breakout hit. DQXI went almost the exact same route as Monster Hunter World (QoL improvements and heavily increased scope and budget) and it did very little.

Also, stop trying to act like Nintendo is wasting their time localizing and promoting these titles. A game doesn't have to be a massive success in order to justify a localization. Guess what? If DQXII receives a Switch version, Nintendo will localize and publish it. Again. Their expectations for the IP in the west are far more realistic than ERA's.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Gears hitting the charts in USA and UK is a good thing imo. It shows even in their strongest markets, not all folks purely buy GP and don't bother about ownership.

They actively purchase Gears5. A good thing. Keeps it balanced.

Anthem on 7th spot best games of 2019 is obviously a travesty.....

It tells me with the right marketing everything sells.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gears is a newer game and selling more than them?

.....So you'd agree its good performance in the UK charts isn't just down to bundling, as many people keep suggesting it is. We see other bundled games falling, Gears remains in place, even moving up one place from it's launch week. It's performing reasonably well in the UK, which was my point.

It'll drop next week or the week after though, the Autumn rush is fast approaching.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
SE kinda abandoned people who bought it on pc/ps4.

Those people got to play the game a year early. They didn't get abandoned. If I had the choice between the definitive version and playing this in 2018 when there weren't a million games out and about on the Switch I easily would have preferred to play the original release.

But we also know it was like rank 17 for eshop sales in September right?

Sept NA ranking
19th

Oct 5 NA ranking
5th

Oct 12 NA ranking
8th

September rank is more a factor of releasing late.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really get that "So nothing." part, but i guess that 1m info clarified this.

Man, shame that Nintendo won't have anything then, they really should share digital with NPD and other trackers.

I might be mistaken but Nintendo does some times comment on specific games even if they don't ship a million copies, if there's a point to be made.

It's unlikely though.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised so many people are so concerned about MS making money on their games. Its obvious that isn't their goal; and with the amount of money they have who cares; they aren't nintendo or Sony, its a small piece of the pie for them.

They are looking at the long term ramifications of gamepass.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising, Dragon quest looks great on switch, but I already bought the steam version and I wont double dip, even if all of the upgrades sound great and might help me finish the game this time.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
.....So you'd agree its good performance in the UK charts isn't just down to bundling, as many people keep suggesting it is. We see other bundled games falling, Gears remains in place, even moving up one place from it's launch week. It's performing reasonably well in the UK, which was my point.

It'll drop next week or the week after though, the Autumn rush is fast approaching.
Well of course it isn't just because of bundles, no game that released a month ago drops to 0 copies sold by now.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV is the only JRPG which has had very good western sales. I think it explains why Dragon Quest XI S bombed.
what's very good though? Do persona 5, Xenoblade 2, and Pokemon not qualify?

EDIT: And Fire Emblem
Since DQ switch bombed, square doesn't really have an excuse not to give the PC/PS4 better music and the additional content now, other than people not caring to play their game anymore. At least for the sake of potential posterity
It was probably worth it considering it did well in Japan.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this will be the last overall vg sales down month for the year. Besides the obvious minecraft, gtav, botw, cod, and nba2k20, will there be any room for new games in the overall top 10 next month?
I know I'm late to responding to this, just reading through the thread now. The rest of the year will be down too. There is nothing coming out to directly replace the best selling game of last year, Red Dead Redemption 2. To a lesser extent, same with Smash in December, it put up monster sales.