• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame about DQ XI, if there is one late Switch port that deserved to do well, this was it. Unlike Doom, Skyrim and the rest, this isn't just a simple port, Square Enix really went the extra mile to improve the game substantially and make the wait worth it. I really don't understand this bad performance. Wasn't Octopath Traveller 1st place in its first month? You'd think there'd be a large market for traditional JRPGs on the Switch. Hopefully it did better in Europe.

There is a decent market. As you stated, Octopath Traveler sold well as did XC2. Not sure about ToV or Ys VIII and the FF remakes. DQ has never had a strong backing in the west outside of DQVIII on PS2 and DQIX on DS.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone says this is bad for Gears, but like this is a huge factor to put in. People are still buying this game regardless
I don't even know if it's good or bad. I just wonder would it have been higher not on Game Pass.

This is one of MS's main franchises.

I guess, like with MS and Game Pass, it all comes down to your own expectations.

I think it could have been higher.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JRPG fans have always been cheap bastards. That combined with the game being a late port probably hurt DQ11.

It's one of my all time favorite JRPGs.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I wouldn't have bought it immediately if it wasn't already earmarked on one of my voucher buys. $50 is very much worth it, because the support is superior to the original in every way except for resolution

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Hmm, could DQ XI be in Nintendo's upcoming quarterly stuff at the end of the month? Or do we have to wait for SQEX's briefing to get an idea how digital was for the game?
I know others have already answered you, but I just to make sure you have thorough understanding of Nintendo's reporting. Nintendo typically updates their sales in two way each quarter. A total lifetime Top 10 list per platform. And shipments of games that they shipped that have exceeded 1 million worldwide during that fiscal year. The lower limit of the Top 10 is out of reach and Nintendo is only shipping DQXIS in the west and the game was released 4 days before the end of their quarter. So there's no expectation that the game will be listed in this upcoming report. Their fiscal year ends in March, so it still has six months to climb pass a million in the west... Other games in the same situation have managed it.

Also, sometimes Nintendo will highlight a game in their report presentation even if it doesn't reach the above criteria. However, those typically highlight their biggest success of the quarter. And last quarter included Zelda LA, Fire Emblem, and the Switch Lite. Expect their focus to be elsewhere.

Trends have shown that JRPG's are usually front loaded.
It was the #1 Switch game in its second month. It's fall comepletely out of the Switch Top 10 is unusual.
Really well at least on PS4 and Switch, according to the respective monthly ranking of PlayStation Store and eShop. It was #6 on PS4 for September in the US, if anyone else can check for the Switch ?
#7 on Switch for September. Although the list uses a different criteria than the PS list. Even being revenue based, I was a little surprised it didn't chart in NPD.

Does anyone know if any digital-only console game has ever charted before?

Do we even know how Links Awakening did?
This is NPD. We know nothing.

But it doesn't stop us from arguing about it!!!

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame about DQ XI, if there is one late Switch port that deserved to do well, this was it. Unlike Doom, Skyrim and the rest, this isn't just a simple port, Square Enix really went the extra mile to improve the game substantially and make the wait worth it. I really don't understand this bad performance. Wasn't Octopath Traveller 1st place in its first month? You'd think there'd be a large market for traditional JRPGs on the Switch. Hopefully it did better in Europe.

Absolute numbers will be low but it's worth keeping in mind that Dragon Quest XIS will do a much bigger chunk of the original's sales compared to those other ports you have mentioned. DQXIS' unit sales are almost certainly >50% of the original's sales.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
It was the #1 Switch game in its second month. It's fall comepletely out of the Switch Top 10 is unusual.
It's not really unusual when you consider: the sales trajectory of JRPGs (already mentioned), how late into July it launched so a considerable part of its sales where still in the early August days, how little competition there was on August (only new title being AC and only had few days of tacking) , and also while FE was on a natural downwards trajectory most evergreens probably saw growth compared to last month thanks to the Switch Lite launch.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't even know if it's good or bad. I just wonder would it have been higher not on Game Pass.

This is one of MS's main franchises.

I guess, like with MS and Game Pass, it all comes down to your own expectations.

I think it could have been higher.
Hey if MS is happy with it, im all for it. Apple Arcade and GamePass at the very least seem to be loved by consumers, and the parent companies implementing then are stupid rich.
long term Im not sure where the industry will go, but it's cool to see different approaches.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Weirdly, Mario Kart 8 is ahead of Smash Ultimate here, wheras in Japan, it's the opposite.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Gears did great with GP as a factor.

Also how the flying fuck is GTA V STILL selling. Good lord.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Weirdly, Mario Kart 8 is ahead of Smash Ultimate here, wheras in Japan, it's the opposite.
with the release of Switch Lite it's only natural that Mario Kart will sell better than Smash, Smash isn't that great with a joycon-like setup while Mario Kart stays wonderful on a handheld

Last edited:

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Absolute numbers will be low but it's worth keeping in mind that Dragon Quest XIS will do a much bigger chunk of the original's sales compared to those other ports you have mentioned. DQXIS' unit sales are almost certainly >50% of the original's sales.
I really don't know what people were expecting for DQXIS in the west. The game landed exactly where I was expecting it to and I'm still confident it'll easily outsell the original release. It was just never going to outsell it the very first week.

So much discussion on so little information. The known difference between DQXIS and the original in the west is like 7000 units. Everything else is speculation based on incomplete and scattered data points... even most of that 7k was estimated from loose statements. Even the stupid Gears 5 complaints don't feel this forced.

It's not really unusual when you consider: the sales trajectory of JRPGs (already mentioned), how late into July it launched so a considerable part of its sales where still in the early August days, how little competition there was on August (only new title being AC and only had few days of tacking) , and also while FE was on a natural downwards trajectory most evergreens probably saw growth compared to last month thanks to the Switch Lite launch.
It had 9 days in July's NPD. So it wasn't that late in the month. It also charted higher in NPD in August than in Nintendo's eshop chart #3, even though Nintendo's chart included 3 day near to its launch. But in September, it drop out of NPD completely, while staying fairly high on the eshop chart ....#10, higher than at least 5 games that outsold it on NPD. A drop was expected, but not this big of a drop.

They don't track digital-only and they don't track pack-in titles (that gets backed into hardware revenue).
Thanks. I've seen a PC only game chart. Is there some where that I can still get new games on CD-ROM or are PC games given an exception?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I've seen a PC only game chart. Is there some where that I can still get new games on CD-ROM or are PC games given an exception?
They sell retail copies of PC games yes. It used to be CDs a few years back but now they're mostly codes in boxes. That said when you see PC not included that means it's a launcher.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know what people were expecting for DQXIS in the west. The game landed exactly where I was expecting it to and I'm still confident it'll easily outsell the original release. It was just never going to outsell it the very first week.

So much discussion on so little information. The known difference between DQXIS and the original in the west is like 7000 units. Everything else is speculation based on incomplete and scattered data points... even most of that 7k was estimated from loose statements. Even the stupid Gears 5 complaints don't feel this forced.

It had 9 days in July's NPD. So it wasn't that late in the month. It also charted higher in NPD in August than in Nintendo's eshop chart #3, even though Nintendo's chart included 3 day near to its launch. But in September, it drop out of NPD completely, while staying fairly high on the eshop chart ....#10, higher than at least 5 games that outsold it on NPD. A drop was expected, but not this big of a drop.

Expectations were set at "easily outsell the PS4 version" which was always a high bar and has proven unrealistic.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I kinda do agree with your broader point that we don't really know enough yet but then you come up with 7k less than the original release out of nowhere which kinda goes against your initial point. Sure, it night not be a huge difference (with digital) but I don't think it's safe to assume anything like that.

Edit: nevermind, clarified below

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I kinda do agree with your broader point that we don't really know enough yet but then you come up with 7k less than the original release out of nowhere which kinda goes against your initial point. Sure, it night not be a huge difference (with digital) but I don't think it's safe to assume anything like that.

I think 7k is difference from the numbers we have from UK and Spanish Week 1, the only actual figures we have.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Expectations were set at "easily outsell the PS4 version" which was always a high bar and has proven unrealistic.

These expectations were stupid and I refuse to believe they were the true expectations. Late ports rarely ever outsell the original release especially outside of the launch window (unless we are talking about failed systems like the wiiu I guess)

PS4 sells shit tons of software. A game like DQ isnt limited by platform in the West.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
Action RPG nah, but sure they could make the turn based battle more fun and strategic.

Not sure about your story suggestion but just telling a good story would be cool.. DQ11 was too cookie cutter and the charm wore off for me mid-way through.

DBZ looks likes DQ so I'm not sure what you mean here. Different lighting or outlining I guess?

in agreement with changes, but overall disagee how they should go about it. I will say, I'm done with the formula as I've had more than enough of DQ with 11 for an entire gen. I say this and I put in over 100 hours into the game lol, they did something right. but I have no desire to play another game like that. basically the same experience I have on PS2 with DQ8.

They already did two of these: Dragons Quest Heroes 1&2... Funny that whilst playing DQ11 I kept missing the arcade action of heroes.

Is turn based combat finally dead ? I know after 30 years it now bores me to tears.

What could Pokemon do with a well designed action based combat system?

Do we really need to "Tackle" something 10 times in a row?

I see tactical games as still viable (FE style fancy chess boards), but even they seem to struggle.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Even after 9 days a game like this will still sell well compared to 1 month after by that time the drops become really big, there's no point bringing up the digital charts since we don't know the numbers neither here or there maybe the drop in the eshop was bigger and other games just don't have the same digital split which is totally possible, unless you've never seen the tracking for a JRPG in your life this is not a surprise to anyone.

Also you can't call this "that big of a drop" when we don't even have the numbers and all games that outranked it are evergreens that got boosted because of new hardware or more recent games that would obviously sell higher and we don't even know how far 3H is from this top ten maybe it's 11 or 13 or whatever.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Warrior (Quest) was the game that broke my RPG cherry (thanks Nintendo Power)!

But GamePass Gears 5, NHL 19, and Switch FFVIII, Mother 3 got my time and money.

Maybe they should focus test me. Something about it didn't attract me.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
These expectations were stupid and I refuse to believe they were the true expectations. Late ports rarely ever outsell the original release especially outside of the launch window (unless we are talking about failed systems like the wiiu I guess)

PS4 sells shit tons of software. A game like DQ isnt limited by platform in the West.
I did hear people saying it would be the best selling ( a few people even said outsell PS4 + PC but eh) as more and more features got announced and the game's content looked more and more impressive.
never subscribed to that personally lol

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Nvm, already brought up.

Edit: was there some marketing for Catherine that I just missed? I saw absolutely zero for it in the lead up to launch.

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I was pretty sure that we got an update that JP sales were at around 2.8-2.9m for last year of MHW(I mean it still fell off a steep, steep cliff after those first couple of months) which puts it closer to 3 than 2, but still a drop.
It's not really comparable anyway, because despite ultimately only getting a single new generation to itself, MH on 3DS had annual retail releases, which of course slows/stops the last one selling when the next one is announced. All up there were over 12.6 million copies sold on 3DS between 3G/4/4G/X/XX in Japan which is kind of insane.

PSP also had 11.9 million sold between P/P2/P2G/P3. Add a million Wii sales in there during that too. So as a whole the franchise has seen a very big decline in Japan due to a combination of platform and delivery.

I did hear people saying it would be the best selling ( a few people even said outsell PS4 + PC but eh) as more and more features got announced and the game's content looked more and more impressive.
never subscribed to that personally lol
It could still be the best selling outside of Japan, which is definitely what people meant in most cases. Not good signs so far though.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Anthem doesnt deserve to be in the top 10.

EA/Bioware took the money and run. The support has been pathetic and abysmal. Ubisoft would be hard at work with a game plan and would see it through.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
It's not really comparable anyway, because despite ultimately only getting a single new generation to itself, MH on 3DS had annual retail releases, which of course slows/stops the last one selling when the next one is announced. All up there were over 12.6 million copies sold on 3DS between 3G/4/4G/X/XX in Japan which is kind of insane.

PSP also had 11.9 million sold between P/P2/P2G/P3. Add a million Wii sales in there during that too. So as a whole the franchise has seen a very big decline in Japan due to a combination of platform and delivery.

Of course. I was just making a correction. Capcom isn't worried about a ~30% drop compared to the explosion globally. They're in a position to capitalize on both fronts if they play it right.

Did EA announce when they were cutting support for Andromeda or just quietly stop?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad we cleared that up. Perhaps in future don't try to frame it as only bundles doing the work when it's clearly not just a bundle effect at play.
I never said it's only bundles, no game sells because of only bundles, but that doesn't mean you have to act surprised about its performance when we know what's going on with that, hell even the person that wrote the UK article said bundles.