• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Poor, poor Dragon Quest. How much longer will Nintendo try before they admit it's never going to happen? Square gave up long ago, after all.
It could've happened if DQ11 took the place of Octopath Traveler in the last summer, taking advantage of the growing popularity of the system.
A very late release, at full price no less, was never going to do much.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked at how bad DQXI did.

Really thought it would do decently after how well Astral Chain did.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last time DQ was relevant in the west was DQIX.

It's weird that it also happens to be the best game in the series.

Very weird.

Super weird even.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that tries to analyze the Gears 5 NPD #7 ranking as a bomb or any such thing is basically an idiot to be honest when you consider Game Pass impact here. Myself and every other friend of mine that games on Xbox all played it on Game Pass because we are all subscribed to be able to play such games as this and of course Outer Worlds on October 25th. We won't know whether Microsoft achieves their ultimate ambitions with Game Pass until some time into next generation at least, but trying to analyze NPD charts is definitely not useful at this point either.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious that change is coming to DQ. DQXII will most likley be a action RPG, the game should also release on as most devices as possible.

That's almost a guaranteed way to lose a big chunk of their Japanese audience. It's not like MHW just switching platforms, DQ relies heavily on tradition and consistency to sell in Japan. I don't think they're willing to risk those guaranteed several million sales in Japan to have a chance at the West.

Talking about making it an action RPG.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that tries to analyze the Gears 5 NPD #7 ranking as a bomb or any such thing is basically an idiot to be honest when you consider Game Pass impact here. Myself and every other friend of mine that games on Xbox all played it on Game Pass because we are all subscribed to be able to play such games as this and of course Outer Worlds on October 25th. We won't know whether Microsoft achieves their ultimate ambitions with Game Pass until some time into next generation at least, but trying to analyze NPD charts is definitely not useful at this point either.
Gears at #7 looks bad... I get a good amount of sales aren't counted in the NPD report but still

👀

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Very sad to see Dragon Quest didn't sell better. I'm thankful for whoever it is in Enix/Nintendo/etc that is so determined to try to make it happen here.

Sep 14, 2019
I'm so confused. Link's Awakening below FIFA? In a U.S. chart?

And Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is in the top 3 best selling games of the last 12 months, but Link's Awakening is the #1 selling Switch title of the past 12 months. Huh?

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this will be the last overall vg sales down month for the year. Besides the obvious minecraft, gtav, botw, cod, and nba2k20, will there be any room for new games in the overall top 10 next month?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
WOW just realizing after checking that DQ11 was #11 last September with WAY more competition on PS4. Really sucks that it couldn't even chart top 20 here. It's one of my favorite Switch titles.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really care, but I remember people arguing to the death that Game Pass improves sales. I guess that has changed now? Or would it have charted even lower without GP? Which is it?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting that just a few months ago the talk was of Game Pass increasing retail sales, something even our resident Matt Piscatella re-iterated. It seems now the narrative is very much the complete opposite, that Game Pass is potentially eating into retail sales, at least with AAA games.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Gears at #7 looks bad... I get a good amount of sales aren't counted in the NPD report but still
Actually most of its sales are counted including digital with the expception only of Steam sales but we know it did horrible in Steam anyway so they wouldn't have mattered at all, Game Pass downloads are obviously bigger and more important than this ranking tbh.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You seriously calling people idiots?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care, but I remember people arguing to the death that Game Pass improves sales. I guess that has changed now? Or would it have charted even lower without GP? Which is it?

LOL. Microsoft made some of those comments when they were first launching Game Pass and putting games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 on there and with regard to 3rd party releases. This was a big first party IP being launched with constant play this on Game Pass marketing and messaging by everyone, heck they bundled Game Pass codes into energy drinks and said you could play Gears that way. If they were concerned about NPD sales they sure as heck wouldn't have been doing all of that. Again, we will see how this goes ultimately some time into next generation most likely, but the reported 3 million Gears 5 players during launch week were composed of a TON of Xbox fans like myself and every friend that I know playing through Game Pass.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
bl3 at #2 with no pc is pretty great. Hope the extra content on the switch version of DQXI comes to pc as DLC

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Ideas to make Dragon Quest popular.

-Change the art style to make it grittier and more like DBZ
-Get a good composer who cares about writing new music that doesn't suck (this is not possible until the current composer dies)
-Move to an action RPG system
-Make the story more about interpersonal relationships (maybe more dating focus?) and less like a very very very traditional chosen one saves world against cartoon villains story

Lots of major options here that will make long time fans upset. Gonna be a hard decision to make.

Or they could just give up on the idea and keep selling 4-5m an entry forever.
Action RPG nah, but sure they could make the turn based battle more fun and strategic.

Not sure about your story suggestion but just telling a good story would be cool.. DQ11 was too cookie cutter and the charm wore off for me mid-way through.

DBZ looks likes DQ so I'm not sure what you mean here. Different lighting or outlining I guess?

in agreement with changes, but overall disagee how they should go about it. I will say, I'm done with the formula as I've had more than enough of DQ with 11 for an entire gen. I say this and I put in over 100 hours into the game lol, they did something right. but I have no desire to play another game like that. basically the same experience I have on PS2 with DQ8.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I know, but I hoped you would be kidding with that statement.
What about the countless success stories of Indie games on Switch? Octopath Traveler was a huge hit, Minecraft sells amazing,...
Daemon X Machina was a really niche title and I think only very few people expected it to chart. Astral Chain charted last month and Dragon Quest...it's just the lack of appeal in the West, sadly.
Third party games can sell well on the Switch.

I didn't say they sell bad. It's just... whenever a Mario game is around it does affect other games sales, that's a fact. If Nintendo used all their marketing power that they used for Mario Maker 2 for games like Marvel UA3, Astral Chain and DQ11... wouldn't the results be a little different?

I'm worried. But not because those games just don't sell well, but because those games don't sell well enough to guarantee sequels. And what worries me is that Nintendo is OK with that. MUA3 was a great game and it can be improved in a possible sequel, but with that sales, I don't think it's happening at all.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

not "people" Microsoft said that several games on game pass saw their sales increase.

they didnt know why either.

but fuck no, a game being on game pass wont help it on launch, that much is obvious

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Demo or no demo i doubt DQ would've done much better, Octopath had two demos and it was #1 when it launched, granted it had less competition but i'm sure it did much better than DQXI S anyway.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Demo or no demo i doubt DQ would've done much better, Octopath had two demos and it was #1 when it launched, granted it had less competition but i'm sure it did much better than DQXI S anyway.

Octopath almost certainly did much better than DQXI and DQXIS combined outside of Japan.

Sep 14, 2019
Smash Bros sold insanely well last Christmas, like upwards of 5million IIRC.
That's not where the confusion came from. I thought both the Switch-only chart and the 12 months chart where in the context of 12 months. Meaning one list would be putting LA at #1 for the last 12 months on Switch, whilst the other would put Smash at #1 for Switch only games (#3 overall). But the console charts are apparently September only, not 12 months. So the LA #1 is just for September.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Ideas to make Dragon Quest popular.

-Change the art style to make it grittier and more like DBZ
-Get a good composer who cares about writing new music that doesn't suck (this is not possible until the current composer dies)
-Move to an action RPG system
-Make the story more about interpersonal relationships (maybe more dating focus?) and less like a very very very traditional chosen one saves world against cartoon villains story

Lots of major options here that will make long time fans upset. Gonna be a hard decision to make.

Or they could just give up on the idea and keep selling 4-5m an entry forever.

Well they should've just delayed it until the Switch version. But out of your ideas the composer(get Yoko Shimomura) and the story seem to be the most likely. I doubt they mess with the battle system or the art style. Since the Japanese fans, which carry this series, won't like that. I'd also....probably make the next title Nintendo Exclusive. I imagine a lot of PS4 purchasers would've bought it on Switch, but not double dip Hence the lower sales. Plus the Switch has bested the PS4 in 3 years In Japan. You can get away with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Phil Spencer said that with games like SoD2 and Sea of thieves, they saw increased sales despite being on gamepass. With Gears 5 and the crazy CGP push they didn't. Simple. They never said every game would benefit from it