• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are acting like DQXI is some disaster game that sold three copies and that DQ in the west is done forever. Each version has done well. There is no use catastrophizing, especially when digital sales weren't even factored in the top 20.

These threads always have the same doom and gloom. The panicking a while ago over DMC5 supposedly "bombing" is funny in retrospect.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DQ got DQ'ed from the top 10. Am I doing it right?

Shame about the series, they tried to market it even with a demo.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
not "people" Microsoft said that several games on game pass saw their sales increase.

they didnt know why either.

but fuck no, a game being on game pass wont help it on launch, that much is obvious
Plenty of people here were saying that when Gamepass first came out, that a game being on Gamepass increases it's sales. This was happening for a game's NPD launch month. Clearly that narrative has changed for Gears but the context of each game launch matters.

Jan 2, 2018
I didn't say they sell bad. It's just... whenever a Mario game is around it does affect other games sales, that's a fact. If Nintendo used all their marketing power that they used for Mario Maker 2 for games like Marvel UA3, Astral Chain and DQ11... wouldn't the results be a little different?

I'm worried. But not because those games just don't sell well, but because those games don't sell well enough to guarantee sequels. And what worries me is that Nintendo is OK with that. MUA3 was a great game and it can be improved in a possible sequel, but with that sales, I don't think it's happening at all.

Mario Maker 2 didn't get that much more marketing than DQXI. The marketing for DQ was actually pretty insane for a late enhanced port. And for what it was the marketing for Astral Chains wasn't bad. And it also doesn't make sense to market a more niche action game from Platinum like a new Mario game, so I really don't get your argument here.
Aside from that, Astral Chain sold well, Platinum said on Twitter they're happy with it's sales.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Ideas to make Dragon Quest popular.

-Change the art style to make it grittier and more like DBZ
-Get a good composer who cares about writing new music that doesn't suck (this is not possible until the current composer dies)
-Move to an action RPG system
-Make the story more about interpersonal relationships (maybe more dating focus?) and less like a very very very traditional chosen one saves world against cartoon villains story

Lots of major options here that will make long time fans upset. Gonna be a hard decision to make.

Or they could just give up on the idea and keep selling 4-5m an entry forever.

number 4 is the fire emblem waifus!

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's like Nintendo doesn't realize why DQ isn't over here, just because FF, FE, Pokemon and Persona are popular here doesn't mean that every big JRPG will beceome a success here.
I mean, I'm pretty sure people have said "Those will never be popular in the west" about all of those series.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Control completely vanishing isn't surprising, be interesting to hear if word of mouth of the game in a year eventually helps it turn a profit. Its already been on sale for $33-35 a few times this month, I expect it to be $20 or less during black friday.

Dragon Quest XI isn't a huge surprise, it was only the switch version that was so late. If they had released a complete version on all platforms it probably would have done ok, but switch users were gonna be buying Links Awakening. I have to imagine it'll easily cover port costs though, and switch games do tend to have very long legs especially since they don't go on deep sales as much.

Code Vein being so high was a suprise to me, reviewers seemed really meh on the game but people seemed to more or less like it, especially those who like that kind of game. I played for a few hours, enjoyed it, but it was part of gamestops "trade back in for $59.99 for 48 hours" so it went straight back since I'm still playing Gears 5 and Borderlands 3.

Oct 27, 2017

I was really close to double dipping on DQ11 (I even had it pre-ordered on Amazon), but the demo actually did kill it for me. It looked a bit worse than I was expecting, and starting again made me realize I didn't have the desire to go through it all again at this time. If they ever release the added content as DLC I'd probably get that though.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Game Pass is going to kill the retail sales of MS games. That's just what's going to happen/has happened already.

But it doesn't really matter. What matters is if these titles move Game Pass and encourage players to keep Game Pass.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
That's almost a guaranteed way to lose a big chunk of their Japanese audience. It's not like MHW just switching platforms, DQ relies heavily on tradition and consistency to sell in Japan. I don't think they're willing to risk those guaranteed several million sales in Japan to have a chance at the West.

Talking about making it an action RPG.

It is going to happen though on the recruitment massage for XII they have said that the goal is to: "deliver a new appeal of Dragon Quest to fans worldwide." and
We await the applications of developers who love trying new things!"

It's pretty obvious were this is going. Also I vividly rememeber thay Hori saying that XI is culmination of the series while XII will try new things.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like some people are happy about Gears 5, being on Gamepass, sale is greatly canibalized.

It should be obvious that the ultimate goal from Microsoft with Game Pass is to build a recurring revenue subscription base large enough to not care about the obvious sales impact that is caused by their first party games launching day and date on Game Pass. If they cared so much about sales numbers at launch they wouldn't be doing it. We won't know until some time into next generation if their strategy pays off for them, but I do know that myself and friends who helped cannibalize Gears 5 sales at launch this time view Game Pass as one of the biggest selling points of the ecosystem and plan to subscribe for as long as they offer it to consumers.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So was Switch #1 in hardware? I assume yes, but I don't see anything about hardware placements in the OP.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that tries to analyze the Gears 5 NPD #7 ranking as a bomb or any such thing is basically an idiot to be honest when you consider Game Pass impact here. Myself and every other friend of mine that games on Xbox all played it on Game Pass because we are all subscribed to be able to play such games as this and of course Outer Worlds on October 25th. We won't know whether Microsoft achieves their ultimate ambitions with Game Pass until some time into next generation at least, but trying to analyze NPD charts is definitely not useful at this point either.
not a gears fan but feel like it making #7 when its "free" on game pass is more of a surprise at how well it sold than it being a bomba, when so many people had the option to get it for $2

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
dang, this whole thread is about DQ lol.

as someone who generally likes JPRGs, main DQ has never been interesting to me.
Not exactly sure why.

I love DQH2 and DQM1 and DQM2. I beaten DQM and DQM 2 several times. I played Joker a little. I'm at the end of beating DQH2.

mainline?
nope.

edit:
actually, I do know why. The characters, story, and battle system never appealed to me.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Personal attacks and off-site drama

What part of his post are you having trouble understanding, CloudStrife630 of GameFaqs infamy? Everyone around these parts you interact with should know that you post there too along with your lovely posting history. You treat posters there beyond terribly, it's unacceptable. Talking down to others, condescending attitude and though not lately throwing grand fits when you weren't first in making the Official Nintendo Direct topics. Your posting history tells the whole story. That's all I'll say on that. As to the post you quoted, he's exactly right. Not every game series is going to succeed in the West. It's not a realistic wish. Some properties just....don't resonate with the Western markets and that's okay.

What part of that didn't you understand, CloudStrife630 of Gam
Does DQ Builders atleast do well in the states?

At least give me that. Theres probably going to be a third game and I'm gonna need that shit localized.

That spinoff is like crack to me.

Again, these companies aren't charities. Nintendo has gone way way way above and beyond trying to market that series to the West in a way to get it interested for a very long time now. it's just not catching on. At some point they've gotta look at it and go "We tried all we could, this isn't for lack of effort. There's simply nothing more we can do." What more would you have them do? Throw more money at it? There's only so much you can throw at it. Call me an asshole all you want but at some point you folks have gotta let this go. Be grateful for what you did get. There's a very good chance DQ 12 won't make it West and if that happens....you've just gotta swallow and accept it. Nintendo truly has tried marketing it every which way you possibly can. It's a fantastic series that's just not taking off here. I'm truly sorry it's not. It's again you can't always get what you want, stomping shrieking and screaming doesn't always work.

PurestGamer78

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that tries to analyze the Gears 5 NPD #7 ranking as a bomb or any such thing is basically an idiot to be honest when you consider Game Pass impact here. Myself and every other friend of mine that games on Xbox all played it on Game Pass because we are all subscribed to be able to play such games as this and of course Outer Worlds on October 25th. We won't know whether Microsoft achieves their ultimate ambitions with Game Pass until some time into next generation at least, but trying to analyze NPD charts is definitely not useful at this point either.

Npd is about Software sales nothing more. For a gears games to come in that low is not good. You can speculate on the impact gamepass had all you want. The facts we have at hand in this Npd tread the game didn't do well for a gears game.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Seeing Code Vein one position from Gears 5. Imagine if someone told you that 10 years ago during the height of Gears popularity that this would happen in the future..

I know I know Gamepass. Still amusing to see.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Y'all are acting like DQXI is some disaster game that sold three copies and that DQ in the west is done forever. Each version has done well. There is no use catastrophizing, especially when digital sales weren't even factored in the top 20.

These threads always have the same doom and gloom. The panicking a while ago over DMC5 supposedly "bombing" is funny in retrospect.
Yea this might actually end up being the truth, definitely feel like a good chunk of its sales in the west got swallowed by the voucher program and having too high expectations might've been the reason for all this doom and gloom in the thread

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What part of his post are you having trouble understanding, CloudStrife630 of GameFaqs infamy? Everyone around these parts you interact with should know that you post there too along with your lovely posting history. You treat posters there beyond terribly, it's unacceptable. Talking down to others, condescending attitude and though not lately throwing grand fits when you weren't first in making the Official Nintendo Direct topics. Your posting history tells the whole story. That's all I'll say on that. As to the post you quoted, he's exactly right. Not every game series is going to succeed in the West. It's not a realistic wish. Some properties just....don't resonate with the Western markets and that's okay.

What part of that didn't you understand, CloudStrife630 of Gam

Again, these companies aren't charities. Nintendo has gone way way way above and beyond trying to market that series to the West in a way to get it interested for a very long time now. it's just not catching on. At some point they've gotta look at it and go "We tried all we could, this isn't for lack of effort. There's simply nothing more we can do." What more would you have them do? Throw more money at it? There's only so much you can throw at it. Call me an asshole all you want but at some point you folks have gotta let this go. Be grateful for what you did get. There's a very good chance DQ 12 won't make it West and if that happens....you've just gotta swallow and accept it. Nintendo truly has tried marketing it every which way you possibly can. It's a fantastic series that's just not taking off here. I'm truly sorry it's not. It's again you can't always get what you want, stomping shrieking and screaming doesn't always work.
I mean, Dragon Quest XI has probably sold over a million sales in the west. It's niche, sure, but there's definitely an audience for it and if the game came out on all consoles (including Xbox) simultaneously in a less manic time period it probably could have done pretty damn well.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to search through topics from over a year ago to find examples, but I do remember it was a very common sentiment on this board that gamepass increased sales. And it may have been true.

I think that the interesting thing here is that you likely will have several ways that Game Pass impacts traditional sales going forward:

• Xbox first party titles like Gears 5 will clearly take a major sales hit because they are flat out pushing Game Pass so hard for a reason, heck you can get 14 day Game Pass Ultimate codes in your Taco Bell order over the next several weeks
  • Xbox first party titles like Gears 5 may see some minor "delayed sales" from those that decide to purchase it when a trial Game Pass subscription expires because they want to own it or keep playing multiplayer without having to continue subscribing to Game Pass
  • Indie games and other 3rd party games on the service could very well, if not likely, have some increased sales overall due to getting that visibility in a sea of games in general or due to renewed focus on a particular game or IP in the service. The Afterparty developer recently told IGN that they saw sales increase for Oxenfree across all platforms due to visibility in Game Pass and folks double dipping to play on other platforms and such.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Game Pass is going to kill the retail sales of MS games. That's just what's going to happen/has happened already.

But it doesn't really matter. What matters is if these titles move Game Pass and encourage players to keep Game Pass.
This is a thread about sales Matt...you can't mention that here /s 😏

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I always get confused by the lack of Digital Sales not being included. I saw VIII Remastered was in top 10 for digital on PS4 and Switch but was thrown off not seeing it listed here.