• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Mat bringing more goodness!

DrahPwcU0AEIQrl.jpg:large

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So Guitar Hero 3 was the best selling game the year Rock Band came out, but Rock Band was the best selling game the following year, which also featured the release of Rock Band 2
Also, it's funny seeing multiple Maddens on that list when now it's not even the best selling sports game in America (NBA 2K)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This really puts into perspective just how much of a juggernaut Call of Duty truly is. Every year after Modern Warfare 2...Jesus.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how whenever the topic of CoD comes up it's always people talking about how it isn't the same or popular as much yet the numbers don't lie. The forumgoer echo chamber is real.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, it's best selling game singular for each year, that's kind of boring. Thought we would get top 10 for all the years.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Fascinating. Nintendo dominating the late 90s despite having the less popular console. Then Madden, a quick fling with rhythm games and then Call of Duty. What trend would dethrone CoD? I honestly expected to see much more open world games in the more recent years...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how Rockband outsold GTA4 and Guitar Hero outsold CoD4.

We will never see anything like that again.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So Guitar Hero 3 was the best selling game the year Rock Band came out, but Rock Band was the best selling game the following year, which also featured the release of Rock Band 2
Also, it's funny seeing multiple Maddens on that list when now it's not even the best selling sports game in America (NBA 2K)
Weird. I'm wondering why a Guitar Hero 4 didn't come out. I get they kept on releasing new versions focused on a specific band but for GH3 to outsell the previous versions it seems like the at least worth the attempt for a sequel that offered a variety of different musical artists instead of more of these focused spinoffs.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that despite the original Playstation's dominance, the top-selling games each year of that generation were from Nintendo. My guess is that it speaks to the breadth of content available on Playstation. Consumers on that platform had more options and may have spread out their spending between a wider range of titles, while N64 owners tended to be more dedicated Nintendo enthusiasts that were more likely to coalesce around the company's signature releases. I'd say that trend still largely holds 20 years later.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Still interesting to see, but first I thought it was of all time, and not by year. That would have been really damn interesting.

The late Wii port of RB1 did really, really well. I think FyreWulff mentioned that it was the single best selling SKU of any game in the series.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn didn't realise that the faux-music band explosion was *that* big.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting how the PS1 didn't have the best selling game of the year in any of the years it was out despite being the best selling console.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Hehe, looks like Call of Duty gets 4 straight years on top and then Rockstar takes over.

Red Dead will be #1 2018

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
So basically since 2001 EA, Activision and rockstar have been passing the baton.

TBF its well deserved. There all great games.

EDIT: US only, id like to see how it changes between EU and Asia. Im sure EU would not have that nintendo domination from 96-2000

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Call of Duty still reigns supreme, I see.
Interesting list. We went from Nintendo to sports, to a little bit of music, to shooters. Also, with some American satire in between.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how Rockband outsold GTA4 and Guitar Hero outsold CoD4.

We will never see anything like that again.
Plastic toys were expensive. My gf at the time who didn't care about games at all bought a set and console like you would a karaoke machine and it featured all year long at every house party.

It was insane if you really think about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
A handful of Western IPs since 2001, and then before that, each year was "this year's Nintendo 64 game".

EDIT: Just remembered that this is dollar sales. Rock Band and Guitar Hero had bundles, and those N64 games cost a ton more than games on CDs.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it's more to do with the fact that only 5 IPs dominated these last 15 years but sure if that's what you want to read into it.

He said it started with 2001.
But no, nothing is sad about Madden being the top selling game of that year. Neither is it sad that GTA was the top selling game in 2002, etc.