• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I think traditional racing games need a new model. With each iteration, your playing with the same cars, on the same tracks, with basically the same physics, and a slight visual upgrade. What's the incentive to keep plopping $60 down every time?

Its the "roster update" problem in sports games, on steroids. Sports have ultimate team and create a player story modes to break the monotony.
Yep, you need something else to be the pull. Whether that is the more arcade style, cartoon like stuff, etc... I think the GaaS model would work well for traditional racing games, as you said.

Maybe he/she meant Gears of War 4?
You are more than likely right. What was said makes more sense with that too.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If you want to know how poor Vita sales were.

Unit 13 is just over 200k and Uncharted is barely over 400k.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, you need something else to be the pull. Whether that is the more arcade style, cartoon like stuff, etc... I think the GaaS model would work well for traditional racing games, as you said.

You are more than likely right. What was said makes more sense with that too.

Yeah, for traditional racing games, instead of having new releases every fewer years, theyd have free major updated w/ graphics and physics improvements.

In the meantime they'd release new tracks, and New car packs And have seasonal timetrials and tournaments. Maybe some that people would pay to enter.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10/10 games on XB are mainly about people shooting guns at other people or beings.

Truly the American Console.
PS4 list is so diverse in comparison. Only 7/10 are shooters! And the other three consist of two basketball games and a game where you play a buff, bald, bearded man who hits things with a big axe! Such a cultured and worldly list!

/s

I'm really surprised to see Halo 5 on the list. People acted like it was some kind of bust but it looks like it must have sold pretty well. Also kind of surprised to see god of war up there so soon! Glad to see both console are being represented with exclusives in the top 10!

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch list might be mostly easy to predict most games but I'd still be curious of the order they land in NPD. Any chance of that getting posted now that even the Vita got the love lol

About the PS4 and Xbox lists. Sure, to hardcore gaming enthusiasts, it may look boring or depressing but right now is the more diverse time for gaming in history. Outside of those top tens are hundreds of quality games in literally every genre including some old favourite genres of mine that have been resurrected after having been forgotten for years.
I feel the same way about movies. I think Marvel movies are the most boring formulaic crap there is but that doesn't stop movies I love from being made outside of whatever the top ten movies are at the moment. So it's not really too depressing.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The fact no Vita game broke 500k makes it amazing Sony supported it for as long as they did in the US.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
How about this:

And I think the Virtual Boy qualifies as the biggest, that and the Pippin.
Didn't Wii U sell more, at least more software? Both were failures tho.
VB failed to sell 1M hardware, let alone any sort of success software sales and it was likely pitched as a GameBoy successor so that's probably the biggest from the big 3

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The fact no Vita game broke 500k makes it amazing Sony supported it for as long as they did in the US.
What is interesting tho is with the weak software sales, that top 10 list has four Sony games on it.

But ppl said it didn't get enough support from Sony tho. It just got discontinued completely this year.

For alot of things, it's all about context. Something that seems to get overlooked alot.

Didn't Wii U sell more, at least more software? Both were failures tho
I'm sure the Wii U software sales were alot better, but I think the Vita sold more hardware. The sales insiders, gurus might have the answer to that.

Even with that, context, lol.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Wii U sell more, at least more software? Both were failures tho.
VB failed to sell 1M hardware, let alone any sort of success software sales and it was likely pitched as a GameBoy successor so that's probably the biggest from the big 3
Mat or Zhuge might have more information but according to the EEDAR (a NPD owned company), the Vita was slightly ahead worldwide as of the end of 2016.

But yeah, both systems were definitely failures. Nowhere even close to the biggest failures in gaming history though, even if Sammy Samusu wants to conveniently ignore the Virtual Boy and Pippin, there's still the Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, Jaguar, etc.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised to see Halo 5 on the list. People acted like it was some kind of bust but it looks like it must have sold pretty well. Also kind of surprised to see god of war up there so soon! Glad to see both console are being represented with exclusives in the top 10!

This list doesnt show the gap in sales between positions.

One the 360 Halo3 was basically tied each COD entry, and did better than GTA4. Battlefield and Battlefront weren't on the radar.

Halo5 is now dwarfed by COD and GTA, and was surpassed by Battlefield and Battlefront. It also most likely sold much less than previous entries.

it might have sold "pretty well", but it lost a ton of markeshare, even if you just look at the Xbox ecosystem.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
PS4 list is so diverse in comparison. Only 7/10 are shooters! And the other three consist of two basketball games and a game where you play a buff, bald, bearded man who hits things with a big axe! Such a cultured and worldly list!

/s

I have to say, its incredible how many people here immediately jump to console warring comments to defend their console of choice.

And if you actually read the thread beyond the first page you would have seen that i answered the first xbox defender that PS4 better but still horrible with their diversity of best selling genres, and that there should be more to gaming than just shooting things.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

/s
lol, it's actually kinda pathetic how a few people tried it.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
wiiu sold A TON more software, and about the same hardware. vita is a much bigger failure as a platform.

? Apples to oranges, Wii U was the main Nintendo platform. Vita was just a side machine for Sony.
Just look at how quickly the Switch was out, meanwhile Sony is happy to stay only with the PS4 even while Vita was a huge failure.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
? Apples to oranges, Wii U was the main Nintendo platform. Vita was just a side machine for Sony.
Just look at how quickly the Switch was out, meanwhile Sony is happy to stay only with the PS4 even while Vita was a huge failure.
vita was a side machine for sony, but it ended their promising handheld business after their great entry into the market with psp, a console that came the closest to nintendo in the handheld market than any other competitor before.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017

3DS was the main platform during that era.

Arguably the DS was during the Wii era but that is actually the closest it has ever been to 50/50.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest failure in gaming history.
It got 1600 games...

I know consoles like 3do, jaguar, cdi, NES, genesis, saturn, n64, wonderswan, neo geo, gamecube, xbox.... which all had way less games than psvita.

There must be some money made otherwise that number would have never been reached. It's still getting releases..

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I have to say, its incredible how many people here immediately jump to console warring comments to defend their console of choice.

And if you actually read the thread beyond the first page you would have seen that i answered the first xbox defender that PS4 better but still horrible with their diversity of best selling genres, and that there should be more to gaming than just shooting things.
The audience for shooters in NA (and WW) is quite large. Doesn't mean MS, Sony and 3rd parties aren't producing different types of games.

Don't really see the point of wagging the finger here. Buy the games you like and others will buy what they like.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Say what you will about vita, but it has a more diverse top ten than The other two.

Also, a lot of it's gaming experiences are locked there. Some have been ported but it's not like the wiiU where a lot of the big hits were re-released.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
vita was a side machine for sony, but it ended their promising handheld business after their great entry into the market with psp, a console that came the closest to nintendo in the handheld market than any other competitor before.
Mobile phones ended it, the Vita just put it out of its misery. Sure, Sony made a number of mistakes with the Vita (the name for one, PSP2 would've been far more recognisable) but fixing those wouldn't have changed its ultimate fate. It's way too difficult and expensive to try and support two separate systems concurrently these days, something both Sony and Nintendo have learnt.

Oct 27, 2017
It got 1600 games...

I know consoles like 3do, jaguar, cdi, NES, genesis, saturn, n64, wonderswan, neo geo, gamecube, xbox.... which all had way less games than psvita.

There must be some money made otherwise that number would have never been reached. It's still getting releases..

Yeah even after the cart sales they made agreements with developers to develop Vita versions alongside PS4 versions of games. And there was Minecraft on it for a time before Switch, 3DS, etc.

Still, remote play with PS4 still works, though you may have to configure the controls to your liking.

People like to blame developers/companies/etc. for their favorite thing dying or not being supported, when the reason is more simply "sales were not high enough". With the Vita this was staggeringly true, unfortunately. Yet, though we can't measure this directly through sales, I still think in the age of standards in connectivity and storage (USB, SD, etc.), introducing a proprietary expensive memory card architecture with insufficient storage space had some effect. Every long-time Vita owner has had to chase down a larger storage card, and ultimately 3rd party charging cables as the others wore out or the power adapter lost the ability to charge the Vita.

It's been a great, yet frustrating experience being a Vita owner.