• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
2017: Everyone is terrible.

AP said:
NEW YORK (AP) — The chief editor at National Public Radio, Michael Oreskes, was placed on leave Tuesday after a published report that he abruptly kissed two women who were seeking jobs while he was Washington bureau chief at The New York Times in the 1990s.

The women formally complained to NPR and told their stories to The Washington Post, speaking on condition of anonymity. Oreskes, vice president of news and editorial director at NPR, did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Oreskes was a vice president and senior managing editor at The Associated Press from 2008 until he joined NPR in 2015.

An NPR spokeswoman, Isabel Lara, said Oreskes had been placed on leave after the allegations from the 1990s appeared in the Post.

NPR reported Tuesday that Oreskes was formally rebuked following a separate incident two years ago where a female producer complained she was made to feel uncomfortable after a dinner in which Oreskes talked about sex and inquired about her personal life. The woman, Rebecca Hersher, said on the NPR report that "it undercut my confidence."

NPR said in a statement on Tuesday: "We take these kinds of allegations very seriously. If a concern is raised, we review the matter promptly and take appropriate steps as warranted to assure a safe, comfortable and productive work environment. As a matter of policy, we do not comment about personnel matters."

The women told the Post that they had met with Oreskes to talk about job prospects, while he ran the Times' Washington bureau, when he unexpectedly kissed them and stuck his tongue in their mouths.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
All the awesome celebrities died last year and all the leftovers are creeps. Just dandy.

In all seriousness, I hope NPR does the right thing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be reiterated- guys like him and Halperin in such high profile positions will warp how the news is covered.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you dare tell me Robert Segel knew about this.

DON'T YOU DARE.

I've been around people - worked with and been friends - that have been accused of sexual harassment and more, and I had no clue. A lot of these people aren't brazen about it like Weinstein, so most people don't know ... Just the women that have been harmed. That's why I'm so glad they're speaking up now.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's messed up for sure. Just hoping that his actions won't affect NPR as an institution too much. We need NPR, especially in times like these.

Rum Diet

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the awesome celebrities died last year and all the leftovers are creeps. Just dandy.

Do you really think this? I'd go as far as to say almost anyone in the course of their entire lives has a few incidences they regret. If you think for a second that any of these "celebrities" that passed away before being accused of something are innocent well boy oh boy you are in for a surprise....

even someone as beloved as say Bowie has had accusations thrown his way. Difference is it was before twitter and social media.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think this? I'd go as far as to say almost anyone in the course of their entire lives has a few incidences they regret. If you think for a second that any of these "celebrities" that passed away before being accused of something are innocent well boy oh boy you are in for a surprise....

even someone as beloved as say Bowie has had accusations thrown his way. Difference is it was before twitter and social media.

No, I don't. It was a dumb joke as indicated by my post.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, I hope NPR does the right thing.

I'm in a locale with two major NPR providers (WCPN and WKSU) so I happened to be tuned to All Things Considered around 7 PM. It was one of their leading stories, and they seemed pretty adamant about reporting as much as they could very quickly.

From what I recall, reporters did know about an earlier allegation (the singular being important here) but could not corroborate a "pattern of behavior" that would substantiate more serious reportage.

My impressions are that they are getting ahead of this as much as possible, especially in light of the cultural moment and other issues with radio programs in the past (ala Jian Ghomeshi).