• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nancy Pelosi doesn't have the guts to be a Bitch McConnell. We need someone that will not compromise and not bend. I think the song from Ludacris makes perfect sense here.

Hold up. The Fight's out. I'm bout to punch your LIGHTS OUT. We need that to energize the youth. The time for reasonable logic is over with. You want to get asses out there voting? Get to them emotionally. Charge the youth. Logic works to reasonable people, but you want to really get them out? Charge them emotionally.
Her position has nothing to do with the campaigning portion of the party.

I'm gonna smash my head against the wall.

Oct 25, 2017
So it shouldn't be hard to give a specific example of Pelosi compromising to screw over women and minorities.

I'm waiting.
I tried poking around to find anything, and it resulted in me listening to a video where the main complaint is that Pelosi wants new blood and new faces, but didn't want Bernie Sanders as a new blood or new face, and that's she too good at raising money, which is "bribery," and stuff along that line. And the few articles I've read say that she wants more women in leadership positions, which is playing the woman card and is divisive.

So, I couldn't find anything of substance and wasted my time. lol.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a god damn embarrasment.

Nancy Pelosi is as liberal as it comes. Tim Ryan is a conservative Democrat.

So called liberals in this thread getting excited Tim Ryan wants to challenge Nancy makes NO sense.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I thought the centrists were good and "pragmatic politics" were the answer?
No jesus christ, pelosi is not a centrist but she is pragmatic. Pragmatic is understanding shes a great speaker and removing her for a centrist is a terrible idea.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the centrists were good and "pragmatic politics" were the answer?
Let me guess: you're laboring under the delusion that PoliEra is a bunch of milquetoast centrists and therefore anyone we support must be one, too.

Nancy Pelosi is not a centrist. She's been one of the most progressive people in the House for thirty years.

These people who want to replace her are the Blue Dogs who mock ~~~identity politics~~~ (you know, civil rights) and want to appeal to the ~~~white working class~~~ (you know, racists).

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If it's all about money, why isn't everyone taking money from the NRA?

You're so dishonest.... :/

Since when has the argument been it's ALL about money?? It's such a fucking blatant strawman. Please stop arguing dishonestly and in bath faith!

Constituents and donors both matter and both shape policy stances. It should be all constituents. Two forces pull in different directions. Sometimes the same. Pull from donors shouldn't exist.

Funny how your prior argument gets exposed and now you just move on to another dishonest argument... It's embarrassing. Smh..

You've been exposed twice now. Done discussing with you. Others can see the cases each of us made.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I keep coming into this thread and the people who don't like Pelosi, have you actually looked at her voting record? What she's actually done in terms of legislation getting passed? If you can find a single bad vote from her, please show me. She's been flawless going back to Bush Jr as far as I know, which is incredible when more popular Democrats like Clinton regularly have to remove massive shoes from their mouth because of their voting record years ago.

I get she's not a perfect mouthpiece for the far left progressive DSA grass roots movement, but literally who else in the House right now would be more effective in whipping votes to actually get good legislation passed? The House is not comprised of mostly DSA Congresspeople being held down by the establishment leaders. It's mostly comprised of center left older white men who thinks Pelosi's stances are too far left. Yet her record has shown she's still capable of whipping these guys into voting with her when push comes to shove. She's brilliant at the job as Speaker of the House and perfectly qualified for it.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure its been pointed out, maybe, in this thread already.

But Pelosi doesn't plan to hold the Speaker role forever, she has said that she looks to pass it on but a few of the new progressives will need some years under their belts and grooming before that can be done.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/19/18001406/nancy-pelosi-transitional-house-speaker-democrats

Also things that were passed under Pelosi:

111th Congress:

• Health Care Reform: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act prevents insurers from denying patients because of pre-existing conditions and gives incentives for businesses to provide benefits.

• Wall Street Reform: The Dodd-Frank bill aimed to curb banks from becoming too big to fail.

• Fair Pay: The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act makes it easier to file an equal-pay lawsuit.

• Stimulus: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 put $787 billion into the economy in hope of blunting the effect of the recession.

• "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repeal: The Senate followed the House in repealing the 17-year-old ban on gays serving openly in the military.

• Cash for Clunkers: Gave new car buyers a rebate to go toward down payments for cars; designed to help the struggling auto industry.

• Credit Card Reform: The Credit Card Holders Bill of Rights issued new regulations on card companies, demanding that they increase transparency.

• Student Loans: The Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act increases the amount of Pell Grants for college students.

• Tobacco Regulation: The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act gave the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate the tobacco industry.

• Food Safety: The Food Safety Modernization Act would give the Food and Drug Administration more power over food producers (passed by Senate, not yet signed into law).

110th Congress:

• Raising minimum wage

• Hate Crimes Prevention Act

• Establishing the Office of Congressional Ethics

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/12/legislation-signed-into-law-under-pelosi-046650

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol calling Kirblar dishonest. He might be blunt most of the time but he's usually typically honest.

Bullshit. Look at both of his dishonest arguments.

First horrible dishonest argument that's self defeating. "Donor money doesn't get you votes"

Gets called out . Ignores response then moves on to dishonest second argument.

"If all about money then why x?"

That is a horrible blatant dishonest strawman.

If not dishonest then it's something far worse. And neither os worth engaging with. If you can't see that then same applies to you. It's plainly obvious

Ms. Virion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Hoosier Wasteland

First horrible dishonest argument that's self defeating. "Donor money doesn't get you votes"

If not dishonest then it's something far worse. And neither os worth engaging with. If you can't see that then same applies to you. It's plainly obvious

You're engaging in vague generalities and appeals to 'common sense.' Then calling anyone who disagrees with your stance dishonest.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're so dishonest.... :/

Since when has the argument been it's ALL about money?? It's such a fucking blatant strawman. Please stop arguing dishonestly and in bath faith!

Constituents and donors both matter and both shape policy stances. It should be all constituents. Two forces pull in different directions. Sometimes the same. Pull from donors shouldn't exist.

Funny how your prior argument gets exposed and now you just move on to another dishonest argument... It's embarrassing. Smh..

You've been exposed twice now. Done discussing with you. Others can see the cases each of us made.
You keep saying that money is all that matters, and then when someone points out that voters in the past few cycles have regularly been voting against campaigns spending far more money than their opponents, and that many politicians forgo lucrative donors because they're morally/ethically opposed to them, you just claim "GOTCHA"?

Your thesis doesn't make sense. Money has existed for thousands of years as a lubricant for economic activity and a store of value, and will continue to be around for thousands more as long as we don't kill ourselves off. Money is powerful, but it's not the end all be all. That whole "priest, king, banker each ask you to kill the other two" thing from GoT is a good way of framing this for electoral politics- people's priorities and values aren't the same. And not everyone is just bribed 24/7, even though economic realities will often constrain political decisionmaking.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Im sure its been pointed out, maybe, in this thread already.

But Pelosi doesn't plan to hold the Speaker role forever, she has said that she looks to pass it on but a few of the new progressives will need some years under their belts and grooming before that can be done.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/19/18001406/nancy-pelosi-transitional-house-speaker-democrats

Also things that were passed under Pelosi:

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/12/legislation-signed-into-law-under-pelosi-046650

Well, in that case I'm fine with it

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The onus is on you to prove it and pointing to a study (which you didn't link to, not even an article about it) which generalizes politicians and doesn't specifically discuss Nancy isn't the proof.

Oct 25, 2017

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You're engaging in vague generalities and appeals to 'common sense.' Then calling anyone who disagrees with your stance dishonest.

Those arguments aren't dishonest??

You can disagree, but those arguments are terrible and dishonest.

The point of legitimate possible disagreement is what's the best political strategy. That's complex and interesting. Arguing money doesn't affect policy is just silly at this point.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You keep saying that money is all that matters, and then when someone points out that voters in the past few cycles have regularly been voting against campaigns spending far more money than their opponents, and that many politicians forgo lucrative donors because they're morally/ethically opposed to them, you just claim "GOTCHA"?

Your thesis doesn't make sense. Money has existed for thousands of years as a lubricant for economic activity and a store of value, and will continue to be around for thousands more as long as we don't kill ourselves off. Money is powerful, but it's not the end all be all. That whole "priest, king, banker each ask you to kill the other two" thing from GoT is a good way of framing this for electoral politics- people's priorities and values aren't the same. And not everyone is just bribed 24/7, even though economic realities will often constrain political decisionmaking.

Dishonesty continues!

Point out I never said that or argued that. Now I constantly say that. Double down on the strawman.
I'm thinking it's not dishonesty now. You just can't follow basic logical arguments. Not gonna bother.

Economic reality is different from political reality.
I don't deny the political landscape. We can have an honest discussion about strategy there.

Oct 25, 2017

The point of legitimate possible disagreement is what's the best political strategy. That's complex and interesting. Arguing money doesn't affect policy is just silly at this point.

You aren't making it seem complex or interesting. All I am getting right now is petty and boring. You are so far away from the original point here that you have reached escape velocity.

Ms. Virion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Hoosier Wasteland

I didn't see anything dishonest about them. He asked for specifics, you waved at some nebulous "All of it" then he responded by referencing all of it in his follow up, and in each case you insulted him for it.

You're still not giving specifics. You referenced some study, but haven't actually provided any links or citations to it. I'd love to see it, truthfully, it sounds fascinating. Instead of swiping at him and others, perhaps you could provide that so you can educate us to what you think should be painfully obvious?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The onus is on you to prove it and pointing to a study (which you didn't link to, not even an article about it) which generalizes politicians and doesn't specifically discuss Nancy isn't the proof.

Google Princeton study about influence of donor money in politics. Should be easy to find. :)

Magical Pelosi still your defense? Ok!

Whenever Pelosi arranges meeting between donors and caucus members they just discuss the weather. :)

Oct 25, 2017
We need fresh blood in leadership! No more old white people! Especially those your side likes!

.... But not Pelosi! Not Pelosi! not Pelosi! Uhhhh... Master legislator. Master legislator!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't see anything dishonest about them. He asked for specifics, you waved at some nebulous "All of it" then he responded by referencing all of it in his follow up, and in each case you insulted him for it.

You're still not giving specifics. You referenced some study, but haven't actually provided any links or citations to it. I'd love to see it, truthfully, it sounds fascinating. Instead of swiping at him and others, perhaps you could provide that so you can educate us to what you think should be painfully obvious?

That wasn't the discussion with Kirblar.
See when I outlined discussion with said poster.
First argument was that money didn't matter. Not only is that demonstrably false. It's also self defeating. (Then why take it?)

Same page so far?

Second argument was a strawman. I never said money was all that matters. I responded, then said poster doubled down on strawman. It's impossible to have honest productive discussion that way.

Agree on these points above?

Because if we don't then it's pointless to continue. Discussion has to have a grounding in basic logic or we're just yelling into the ether.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google Princeton study about influence of donor money in politics. Should be easy to find. :)

Magical Pelosi still your defense? Ok!

Whenever Pelosi arranges meeting between donors and caucus members they just discuss the weather. :)

So you can't even bother to post what you are talking about. Like if it means that much to you, to prove your point why not just link what you are talking about since you know it so well?

I don't even know what you want me to look at with this google search, all I see at the top is a pew research on questions to people about money in politics.

So I looked up Nancy's donors.

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/contributors?cid=N00007360&cycle=2014

The top 3 are 1. Salesforce.com 2. University of California and 3. Facebook. The top 1? A software company that helps small businesses.

Where is this evil dark money that Nancy Pelosi gets that makes her vote on and push crazy things like the ACA or Repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell?

You're beginning to sound like an episode of Infowars, with even less info than Alex Jones provides.

Oct 25, 2017
So... "Anyone but Pelosi but ideally someone like Pelosi"
"We will strive for bipartisanship. We believe that we have a responsibility to seek common ground where we can. Where we cannot must stand our ground, but we must try,"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nancy-...in-house-of-representatives-today-2018-11-07/

Yeah. She's really sticking it to the republicans there. McConnell literally walked into the door annoying "No compromise. We will make Obama a One Term President." and his party managed to use that to gain the house, the senate, the presidency and the Supreme Court. Republicans are playing stupid checkers. The Dems are playing patty cake. Fuck rules. Fuck decorum. Fuck precedent. Fuck norms.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I should have been more clear. I am agreeing. My point was that new blood is not useful in and of itself right now. We are in crisis and I would rather have the most successful lawmaker of my life time in charge rather than some new person.
And I would rather have someone who can lead us out of this partisan nonsense that is choking our Federal Government to death. No matter how accomplished Pelosi is, she is just as polarizing as HRC was. The moment folks hear the name Pelosi, their mind is already made up. We need to start turning this county around, to move people in a different direction. Nancy Pelosi is not the answer.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how accomplished Pelosi is, she is just as polarizing as HRC was. The moment folks hear the name Pelosi, their mind is already made up.
How is that in any way germane to her ability to whip votes and pass legislation?

We should dump her because right-wing media don't like her?

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We will strive for bipartisanship. We believe that we have a responsibility to seek common ground where we can. Where we cannot must stand our ground, but we must try,"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nancy-...in-house-of-representatives-today-2018-11-07/

Yeah. She's really sticking it to the republicans there. McConnell literally walked into the door annoying "No compromise. We will make Obama a One Term President." and his party managed to use that to gain the house, the senate, the presidency and the Supreme Court. Republicans are playing stupid checkers. The Dems are playing patty cake. Fuck rules. Fuck decorum. Fuck precedent. Fuck norms.

lol that's not what she's doing.

What she wants is Republicans to work with them on things they agree on like Infrastructure.

Otherwise I mean it will just be grand gestures from the House with no actual laws being passed for the next two years.

Oct 25, 2017
lol that's not what she's doing.

What she wants is Republicans to work with them on things they agree on like Infrastructure.

Otherwise I mean it will just be grand gestures from the House with no actual laws being passed for the next two years.
Any infrastructure bill the republicans propose is going to be bullshit, will not address the desperate infrastructure issues the U.S. has, and is going to be nothing but a huge giveaway to Trump and Republican donors. There is no common ground there. Any idiot can see that. Except Pelosi I guess.