• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Hexcalibur

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
FWIW I think it's fair to bring up whenever. She should be called out for this shit, it's vile. People were just suspicious because it's one of the first things you mentioned was Mike Z and because your account has barely any posts.

Yeah that's understandable.

Outside of the timing thing, I honestly do think there needs to be a thread on anime, the sexualization of minors and the H-industry/it's crossovers with some parts of the cosplay community because this is VERY widespread and gross.

I agree with you on that, but after making this thread I don't think I have the patience or mental fortitude to argue about it with people that don't seem to grasp why it's wrong lol.

If I may offer my two cents, I would have personally framed the topic in a different way. I think that there is a discussion to have here regarding the sexualization of minors in Japanese media, but when you focus it too much on Ayumi, it kinda dilutes that, specially given how recent all this is.

One way you could do this discussion is to frame it in terms of the problematic situation regarding how minor are portraited, and bring up how Ayumi is a case where this behavior is normalized and tricky, since it's something that is exposed to many people due to her base. That way, you assert the focus of the thread is on the underlining issue, and frame it in a context people can understand and engage.

And I hear you, I definitely could've framed this all way better. Guess I'm just not the person for the job, I just wanted to continue where we all left off in the other thread so as to not take away from that thread. But I also feel it would've been disingenuous to act like I'm NOT aware of the Mike Z accusations if that makes sense.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of the timing thing, I honestly do think there needs to be a thread on anime, the sexualization of minors and the H-industry/it's crossovers with some parts of the cosplay community because this is VERY widespread and gross.

I would suggest this thread, which is not solely about these things but usually drums up a better discussion on the ills of anime than most threads that get bogged down when something someone likes gets criticized.

www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
ew ew ew

the fact that I know who your referring to based on that description is pretty messed up but I gotta make sure

she used to follow shadman?

That's a wrap for me if that's the case. No coming back from that.

Correct. No idea if she still does, but she definitely was a fan long after his rep was known.

😬😬😬😬😬

Jessica Nigri follows him as well and promoted him on her Twitter.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Because the mods encouraged that a separate thread be made. Because someone saw her come up recently and felt the need to bring it to light. I cannot and will not speak for the intentions of the person that made the thread, but christ almighty. We're at a time when people speaking up is encouraging other people to speak up. Even if it's speaking up against them because you've been exposed to something in the past.

Just because she's not any different doesn't mean she shouldn't be called out. Everyone like this should be called out.

Edit: Just saw your edit. I agree that there is a need to address the systemic reaction that is character assassination, but saying that people shouldn't bring up something shitty just because the timing is poor (especially when it's something actually serious and done recently) is quite the notion.

I think timing is important though. What is the intended purpose of this specific thread? If it was meant to start a discussion about incredibly problematic western anime culture, it failed on account of only singling out this one individual who is in the front of public consciousness for her sexual harassment allegations, even going so far as to address the allegation in the OP and then moving on. Instead this thread played right into the problem that impacts the entire US from cosplayer to political candidate.

I think this would be a great way to approach the problem I have with this post. The problem of course being I know exactly how this conversation will go, but that doesn't mean we should continue to allow this to go unnoticed.

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly a lot of people believe it's alright to sexualize minors because "they are not real". It's sickening that so many people are okay with that, be it in the anime community or in gaming communities like Skyrim modding scene i.e. where folks openly supports creators that make sex animations meant to be used with child npcs. Hell, even here we see the usual suspects trying to downplay it.

OP
OP
Hexcalibur

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
I think timing is important though. What is the intended purpose of this specific thread? If it was meant to start a discussion about incredibly problematic western anime culture, it failed on account of only singling out this one individual who is in the front of public consciousness for her sexual harassment allegations, even going so far as to address the allegation in the OP and then moving on. Instead this thread played right into the problem that impacts the entire US from cosplayer to political candidate.

Or maybe timing isn't big of a factor as you'd like to believe and that there's nothing wrong with discussing this individuals transgressions when the person involved partakes in the same community as them? It's like saying we should never have any threads calling out sexual harassers because it doesn't target every single sexual harasser in existence. It's all just semantics. b

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
User banned (3 days): Attacking other posters with avatar shaming
An....interesting cross-section of avatars from posters trying to discredit OP's intentions without engaging with the content of his post:

[mod edit: content removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the cosplay community doesnt shy away from sexualizing minors, and it is not limited to anime

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
So... are people calling out this lady in twitter/instagram/etc for wanting to fuck minors?, or is just like "awww how cute of Bunny to want to smash shotas"

Disgusting lady, disgusting MikeZ

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so she's a pedophile

and mikez was responding like he's a 12 year old

didn't think this could get more gross but it got more gross

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People's brains short circuiting over the fact that victims can be and most often are flawed, some more than others. Their abuse does not preclude their own transgressions nor do those transgressions preclude their abuse nor the responsibility of their abuser.

There are no perfect victims, from writing bad checks, misrepresented their education all the way to pedo normalization and yellow face. They are still victims that deserve justice full stop. Using their flaws to deny or discard their abuse is to deny ALL victims justice for being less than perfect.

That does not give them immunity to their own actions and any confusion or ambiguity there comes from one's own bias logically breaking down.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
User banned (1 week): Avatar shaming, explicitly ignoring moderation warning
An....interesting cross-section of avatars from posters trying to discredit OP's intentions without engaging with the content of his post:

I've posted this image before and got a warning for it but fuck, It's still 100% accurate.

image0.jpg

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

What is the intent of your post here other than to insinuate anyone who likes anime is suspect?

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
The makeup is fucking offensive. Don't try to make yourself look so much like an Asian person that you get mistaken for one when you're not Asian. There's a whole other discussion we could have about why just the eye makeup is problematic (and let's not pretend she's just doing fox eye).

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Or maybe timing isn't big of a factor as you'd like to believe and that there's nothing wrong with discussing this individuals transgressions when the person involved partakes in the same community as them? It's like saying we should never have any threads calling out sexual harassers because it doesn't target every single sexual harasser in existence. It's all just semantics. b

Of course there's nothing wrong with it on the surface. Anime culture is fucked and deserves to be called out, but singling out a single person doesn't create any meaningful overall change especially within the context here. If you didn't already know anime is problematic and anime stans accept the downsides because it's enjoyable to them, I'm not sure if this changed your mind.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends used to joke about shota stuff, like wanting to lick Ciel Phantomhive's bellybutton and stuff like that. But she was obviously joking, and wasn't saying it with an audience of that size. Once you have a certain amount of reach, it won't matter if it's a joke or not, the wrong people will take it as affirmation. It's dangerous.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Don't underestimate how lazy people are, scrolling up to check is hard work!
Yeah but like the lazy way to do this would be to just link the posts or even just screenshot them.
What does removing the name do?
The post aren't from some weird far off place like anime4everILikeLolicon.com,
they're from this very thread!

May 15, 2018
Denmark
CW means Content Warning. A warning of the type of content to expect from the post so that anyone who just doesn't want to view it or perhaps is in an environment where that stuff might not fly can not bother with it.

Pedophile "adjacent" would be something that can't strictly be catagorized as pedophilia but is still close enough to trigger similar reactions from people.
I'm not clicking on any of those links but I'm assuming the word OP is looking for ephebophilia (Wikipedia)
It's freaking hard to spell though.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible to be a pedophile without ever acting on it. We should change how we discuss this sensitive topic.

"Being a pedophile" is the mental disorder. "Abusing children" is the crime.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing concerns around sexualised imagery of minors
They're cartoons. It's ridiculous to call this pedophilia.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
One of my friends used to joke about shota stuff, like wanting to lick Ciel Phantomhive's bellybutton and stuff like that. But she was obviously joking, and wasn't saying it with an audience of that size. Once you have a certain amount of reach, it won't matter if it's a joke or not, the wrong people will take it as affirmation. It's dangerous.
"She was obviously joking" is the same argument people use to defend using slurs. I don't think it's acceptable ever and is a symptom of a larger problem here.