• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, outside of the usual grumbling about only two games, this is a pretty good month. I'd heard of Vice but never played it, absolutely interested in trying it out. As said, any time we get something that never hit the original VC, it's a good thing.

I like Kung Fu Heroes/Ninja Boy, but there's a lot of nostalgia talking there, I played the Game Boy version a bunch as a kid. I am happy to see us getting the Culture Brain games though, as I'd like to try out some of the later ones. I believe some of them hit the Wii U VC in Europe, but the US VC was lagging so far behind that we never got past the first Kung Fu and Flying Warriors here. Hopefully we'll avoid that happening again.

Iceman2343

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that liked King Fu Heroes as a kid? I could never beat it but I always liked playing co-op in it.
I loveeeee Kung Fu Heroes, Little Ninja Brothers, and Super Ninja Boy. I enjoyed the weirdness and how they seemed to have a lot of stuff to discover when playing them. I also enjoyed the Aesthetic the games used.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I owned Vice: Project Doom when I was a kid. It's a great game and completely unexpected on this service.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta consider that there's really not a lot of NES games they can put on the service.
A large chunk of the library is licensed games for one.
Active third parties like Capcom and Konami probably find it more profitable to release collections rather than add to the service. Hence the Mega Man, Castlevania and Contra collections. But they could change their minds.
Plus, lots of dead third parties.

Although, Nintendo can use this as an opportunity to finally release Devil World in North America.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Vice Project Doom is amazing. If you skip it just because you've never heard of it then you're a fool! It's dead good.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Freaking finally, THIS is the sort of stuff NSO should have. Not boring repeats from VC that we saw lots of times before, but obscure gems that people will have no choice but to play because of them being easier to get. I'm surprised Vice is even getting rereleased but apparently SEGA owns it? I don't know how as it's some company named Sammy that published it here and AIcom developed it, and I thought Aicom became a part of SNK. Still, what other Sammy games are on NES that could come over? The lack of three games a month is really dumb but at least Japan gets one of the final if not THE final non FF games from the NES Mini, and it's a super freaking fun multiplayer game. KFH I hear is a fun score chaser as well, so solid month all around. People who dismiss these because they aren't first party are sorta proving the reason the VC died to begin with since so many third party games just flat out bombed sales wise (especially on the Japan side of things), so I strongly encourage you guys to give the main two (And the Japanese Kunio if you can) a shot. You'll really be surprised how fun they are!

I swear to god though if they put the breaks on the NES app to just rotate to the SNES/whatever apps they add next month/year (they could easily keep this up for one more year you know, there's enough third party games for them to do so) instead of having both apps update every month like they should, then it'll just infuriate me. We're finally getting to obscure gems and the great potential of the service, only for potential SNES games we saw a bunch of times to repeat and drag out a boring cycle..

...But if Lufia is thrown into the SNES app by some miracle I will never be upset over the presence of SNES rereleases ever again.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why Nintendo didn't just put the virtual console on the switch. Make a virtual console launcher like the NES NSO app and let me buy games for fucks sake.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Nintendo are handling the service appallingly and have said so numerous times but they deserve praise for such a deep cut that's never been rereleased since the NES.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Man, they really don't want to give away SNES games
Honestly don't care. Unless they start with snes games that haven't been released before. Because I don't want the same exact games that aren't on the classic but only taking a year to get the same library.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You gotta consider that there's really not a lot of NES games they can put on the service.
A large chunk of the library is licensed games for one.
Active third parties like Capcom and Konami probably find it more profitable to release collections rather than add to the service. Hence the Mega Man, Castlevania and Contra collections. But they could change their minds.
Plus, lots of dead third parties.

Although, Nintendo can use this as an opportunity to finally release Devil World in North America.

I mean I don't think it's unreasonable to want Nintendo to put in the effort to secure those NES games for the service, regardless of why the games aren't there.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The Kunio-kun game is Soreyuke Daiundoukai.

It is freaking awesome. I wish they'd make a new one in its vein instead of always going for River City Ransom vibes.

They've made a bunch of them in that vein and most if not all of the recent ones have been localized for PS3/4 and/or PC. I'm pretty sure there's another one coming out very soon, even.

e: Downtown Rantou Koushinkyoku Mach!!, out on PS4/Switch/PC in October.

e2: here are the ones on Steam

River City Melee is more or less an expansion to the previous game, and the one that's coming out this year is basically another expansion as well. These games aren't super high budget, Arcsys really cranks them out.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Vice looks pretty cool -- never played that one before. Like others, hoping there is some more interesting news at the service's one-year anniversary.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Musluk_01.gif

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are sleeping something fierce on Kung-Fu Heroes. Totally decent NES game.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Don't know why Nintendo didn't just put the virtual console on the switch. Make a virtual console launcher like the NES NSO app and let me buy games for fucks sake.

I wanted that too, believe me. I bought 180 Wii U VC games and I miss a big majority of them after moving to the Switch. But the VC on Wii U bombed incredibly hard to the point it's not even funny. Anything that wasn't a first party game in the states did OK at best unless it was a very rare gem that everyone knew about. Even with the early "Buy one get one free" deal they had for a while for some super early Wii U VC games, people just didn't buy them.

It was even worse in Japan, when literally 90% of the third party games did anything above horrid in sales. VC communities would have like, 1 or 2 comments or posts from people who bought the game, compared to the hundreds that a first party title or something like Final Fantasy would get. The MSX/PCE games on VC sound super cool, but barely anyone bought the darn things which is criminal. I think that's the reason the VC died like it did, since Wii U basically killed it in cold blood due to people refusing to buy anything but Mario World and Zelda for the millionth time. (along with Earthbound and Brain Age for some reason) As an example, the first EVER PCE VC game launched on Wii U in late 2013, and it has a miiverse community archived here: https://archiverse.guide/game/14866558073106343187 In the end, only around 100 people managed to buy the game and actually talk about it on miiverse, and this was over a few years. If a new VC system bombed that hard in Japan, no wonder Nintendo was wanting to kill it, especially since Japanese reception to this service is a lot more positive (though people there also want SFC/GB games by now)

This service basically forces picky people to deal with third party games or leave it, which I honestly think is a fantastic concept if only they put more obscure gems like Vice up instead of yet another Wii VC rerelease. SNES I expect to be the same way and with how boring most pre 94 games on that system are I'm sad to say that it'll probably be just as boring waiting for those to all come out while hoping for stuff like Lufia and Cybernator.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't fathom people complaining about NSO. Especially with it costing like $2 a month.

I'm glad they are still adding NES games its finally getting to the point where there is a respectable amount of games. My only real complaint is I wish they would give us easier ways to sort games. The UI of the actual app itself could use some work.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Kung-Fu Heroes is not a name I ever expected to hear again. Janky and obtuse as all hell, but it's a charming little title.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Wow the Kung Fu game brings back memories. I was really young and played co-op with my sister. Iirc it had a shared health pool and I'd always get annoyed that she was wasting my lives lmao.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I've never even heard of Vice. That footage looked great and I'm surprised people are saying it's good. This will probably be the first time I've used the NES app since Mario 2 was added

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I grew up on the NES and I've never heard of either of them lol, don't think they came out in PAL.

Watched the footage and ya Vice: Project Doom looks pretty cool! Nice to see random stuff like this appearing on the service if it's actually good! Just a shame about the only 2 new things a month part, it's just not enough IMO. I like MS's approach 2 new things every 2 weeks (so 4 a month).

Next month is the key one though huh? Are we getting SNES when the launch subs laps like we've been guessing?

I've been a firm believer all these 'disappointed' months that we wouldn't see them until then... but I'm honestly starting to have my doubts now lol. Nintendo gonna Nintendo, I can just see it.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Scraping the barrel bottom lol.

Nintendo, why do you always have to be conservative?
Vice: Project Doom is a great action game. It's easily one of the best titles to appear on this service.

This is also a completely unexpected announcement. I honestly never expected Nintendo to bother with such an obscure, late, NES release. So this is definitely not a case of "Nintendo conservatism".

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yeah Vice Project Doom, I saw a playthrough done by one who I shan't name on the Game Grumps channel, it looked really cool.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
God this service is terrible, but at least this has reminded me to cancel my NSO auto subscription that was due next week.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Vice: Project Doom is what you get if you mix the best parts of Ninja Gaiden and Adventures of Bayou Billy.

giphy.gif

vpd4.gif

eJelxAM.gif

vpd5.gif

vpd3.gif

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
"Downtown Nekketsu Koshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundokai "

YESSSS one of my favourite Famicom games. I played so much of it on my classic mini.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. That's cool to have something new. Hoping next month we get a direct with SNES games though.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Vice lools good. I still havent download the service and i have nso since the start lol
Maybe i donwload it and give it a try.

I suppose you cant play any of this game when you are not online right? Or is there some type of mode you can download a game to play on a trip like netflix does?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Okay, Vice: Project Doom looks pretty rad. Never played Kung Fu Heroes, either. Between that and the Mario Tennis trial, I'm getting my $1.60's worth this month.

Oct 27, 2017
Vice lools good. I still havent download the service and i have nso since the start lol
Maybe i donwload it and give it a try.

I suppose you cant play any of this game when you are not online right? Or is there some type of mode you can download a game to play on a trip like netflix does?
You can play without an internet connection. If you go for an extended period of time without being connected it will require you to connect to verify your subscription.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
You can play without an internet connection. If you go for an extended period of time without being connected it will require you to connect to verify your subscription.
Oh!
How much is the extended period of time? Im having a car trip tomorrow of 4 hours and I could do with some of this games. If I play Dragon Quest Builders 2, that I would love, the battery will go to shit in less than 2 hours, so its notreally optimal for those kind of trips lol

Oct 27, 2017
Oh!
How much is the extended period of time? Im having a car trip tomorrow of 4 hours and I could do with some of this games. If I play Dragon Quest Builders 2, that I would love, the battery will go to shit in less than 2 hours, so its notreally optimal for those kind of trips lol
I'm honestly not sure, I'm sure you would be okay for a 4 hour trip though. Just make sure you are connected to WiFi before you leave to be safe.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Do people actually play online with any of these NES games? I haven't tried online multiplayer for any of them.
Yes, I play online MP from time to time. It's fun.

Oddly enough, you can only play with people from your friends list, but not randoms (which is how Mario Maker 2 should of been, instead of the reverse).

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It's a little sad snes games are supposed to be something worth celebrating. Nintendo has such a rich history of games that would be perfect on switch

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought Vice would ever get a rerelease. Everyone with a sub should give it a shot. It's a great game.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The app is useless that it's so funny that people expect Nintendo to start drooping snes games out of nowhere when they never promised they would. Also I don't even care, I mean they would be welcome but at this point I'd rather we take some gamecube games ported or remastered. If I want to play nes, gameboy, snes etc they are dozens of ways and platforms to play them. Give usthe ability to play stuff like Paper Mario Thousand Year Door or FZero GX or Eternal Darkness etc...