• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
not bad for my country, singapore (sg).

8000+ players from such a small island state (it's smaller than most european cities).

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Unless this game simply did not release in Baltic countries (which would seem very strange, given the fact that they are much bigger markets than say Malta) it's a complete mystery to me. I know the PS4 is selling relatively well in the Baltics, as well, and these countries also use the Euro, so like... I just don't get why there's no numbers for them.
These are the countries where PSN exists...

https://www.playstation.com/country-selector/

You can't create profiles with others countries because it is not available to choose when you create a PSN ID.

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it is more political/economic related than population.

My PSN is US because until 2010 (or 2009?) this option was not available and Brasil has over 200 million habitants.

Yeah, but Malta and the Baltics are all in the EU and the latter don't have poor economies - even the smallest country, Estonia, has twice the GDP than Malta.
But, no matter, it's nothing to do with the game. I got my answer, so thanks for that and the statistic. :) No need to further derail the thread - I assume that the people from those countries probably will fall into the number of bordering/nearby countries instead.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Yeah, but Malta and the Baltics are all in the EU and the latter don't have poor economies - even the smallest country, Estonia, has twice the GDP than Malta.
But, no matter, it's nothing to do with the game. I got my answer, so thanks for that and the statistic. :) No need to further derail the thread - I assume that the people from those countries probably will fall into the number of bordering/nearby countries instead.
I meant political/economic deals with the government... Sony needs to enter in talk with the government to talk about tax and all related to each specific country... that is slow and some times they didn't reach an agreement. There are governments that didn't allow some services in their countries too.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised there's no numbers for the Baltic countries (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia), considering they're part of EU, and even countries like Cyprus and Malta have them.
Sony and Microsoft hate us. I have UK and US PSN accounts and I think my Xbox Live account was automatically set to Finland. There was a blog post from Playstation years ago suggesting official PSN support would expand to Baltics and some other countries, but absolutely nothing has happened. At least Xbox accepts Estonian credit cards, for PSN I have to use third-party suppliers (e.g. Amazon) for prepaid wallet and PS+ codes.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Sony and Microsoft hate us. I have UK and US PSN accounts and I think my Xbox Live account was automatically set to Finland. There was a blog post from Playstation years ago suggesting official PSN support would expand to Baltics and some other countries, but absolutely nothing has happened. At least Xbox accepts Estonian credit cards, for PSN I have to use third-party suppliers (e.g. Amazon) for prepaid wallet and PS+ codes.
PSN block a lot of credit cars for some period... not even US one works... but in some periods even my Brasilian works.

Anyway Amazon is the best friend here.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Update to Mar 19, 2018 (~7 days).

New GTS Profiles created: 67,532
Beta converted to GTS Profiles: I did not check :P

PS. Sorry to be late... the extraction happened yesterday morning but I just could post it now.

Ohhhh there are over 4 million profiles created now.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Update to Mar 26, 2018 (~7 days).

New GTS Profiles created: 58,136
Beta converted to GTS Profiles: I did not check :P

PS. I promise that I will do the Beta check this week.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what PD's hopes for the game were? 5 mil seems decent though definitely not in line with the glory days. Game should have great legs though.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I wonder what PD's hopes for the game were? 5 mil seems decent though definitely not in line with the glory days. Game should have great legs though.
Those other games didn't get to 10M in a year. 4M since launch is great and outside of Black Friday they haven't had it on sale and they didn't even have it on sale in North America at all to my knowledge.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
My account counts for US but I'm in Mexico. When PSN originally launched you couldn't pay with local credit card.

Not that this will turn things around but I'm sure a lot of foreign accounts are counting towards US.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow so it's closing in on 5 million, huh? Those are some great numbers in just a few months. It'll probably go even further with the recent price drop to $40.

Oct 27, 2017
Big update ! It looks like Gran Turismo Sport sold around 3,4 million as of May 5, probably 3 million at worst.

Sony just sent a PR : 80,4 millions of Gran Turismo were sold-trough worldwide as of May 5, 2018.

The last update on Polyphony website has 77 million as of September 2017

Paris, FRANCE, May 11, 2018 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that
sell-through for the popular Gran Turismo franchise have passed 80.4 million units in the 20
years since the game was launched.

Sales are expecting a further surge as Polyphony Digital Inc., creators of Gran Turismo,
announce further details of the new FIA Gran Turismo Championships in partnership with the
world governing body of motor sport, the Fédèration Internationale de l'Automobile. Creator
of the Gran Turismo franchise, Kazunori Yamauchi, commented :

"It's hard to imagine that 80.4 million copies of Gran Turismo have been played during the
20-year history of the franchise. It makes me really happy to think of the immense amount of
time that has been poured into playing our games! I would like to express my sincere thanks
and appreciation for the community, as well as our close friends and supporters within the
automotive industry. We would like to continue our efforts in achieving the best possible
expression and creation of cars and scenery, as well as bringing the highest level of excitement
and fun through racing in the years to come."

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The machmaking is regional... you will always play with more Brazilians if you are in Brasil (even if your account is outside like mine).

And yes... it is Canada.
I dont think it works like that, I am in Spain but I play with my Brazilian account. I have never met a single Spanish or Portuguese driver. Its always lots of Americans, some Brazilians and a few Chileans, Canadians and Argentineans.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. That is a bit on the low side
Indeed, 3,4 million is not a lot for the first half year of a Gran Turismo game. It doesn't help either that the racing genre is in decline, that the game is not a numbered sequel and that it's so online focused. But even then, it's the first GT game on the PS4, so I expected a bit more.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Hello.

I extracted the data up to Aug 2 but I have to work on it yet but on Monday it will be online here.

I can tease a bit... the numbers of profiles are reaching 6 million (it will probably be at 6 million until Monday) and the number of Beta profiles that become GTS profiles increased a lot since the last update in March... Beta only profiles now is near 500k.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello.

I extracted the data up to Aug 2 but I have to work on it yet but on Monday it will be online here.

I can tease a bit... the numbers of profiles are reaching 6 million (it will probably be at 6 million until Monday) and the number of Beta profiles that become GTS profiles increased a lot since the last update in March... Beta only profiles now is near 500k.
was hoping for new data. but look like it was for next monday.
can i be of any help, if you are too busy?

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
was hoping for new data. but look like it was for next monday.
can i be of any help, if you are too busy?
I already extracted everything up to Aug 2 but there are over 40k Beta profiles into GTS profiles that for some reason is being slow since yesterday... after the Aug 2 update the next one planned to cover up to Aug 10 will be posted on next Monday... this update is way bigger than previous ones.

I hope I can update tonight (with my new work I can only do that at night).

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Update to Aug 6, 2018 (~133 days).

New GTS Profiles created: 1,174,205
Beta converted to GTS Profiles: 43,919

PS. I hope to update every week again ;)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
maybe it doesn't get the 10 million salles but seems health for a GAAS, people complained about the lack of content and know it seems to be resolved

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
maybe it doesn't get the 10 million salles but seems health for a GAAS, people complained about the lack of content and know it seems to be resolved
To be fair if it continue in the same trending and no accounting the holiday boost (BF and others) it will reach near 7 million this year.

10 million is a matter of time and not if... it will get there next year.

w9nWu1G.png

People has a weird ideia that GT games sells over 10 million in the first year lol it take time to reach there.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
You should think the game slowed down in profiles... well take a look at the avg. per day for all updates until there.

Jan 26, 2018: 11,590 profiles per day (2 days)
Jan 30, 2018: 10,986 profiles per day (4 days)
Feb 5, 2018: 12,212 profiles per day (6 days)
Feb 9, 2018: 6,487 profiles per day (4 days)
Feb 19, 2018: 9,290 profiles per day (10 days)
Feb 26, 2018: 11,158 profiles per day (7 days)
Mar 4, 2018: 10,418 profiles per day (6 days)
Mar 12, 2018: 9,609 profiles per day (8 days)
Mar 19, 2018: 9,647 profiles per day (8 days)
Mar 26, 2018: 8,305 profiles per day (7 days)
Aug 6, 2018: 8,828 profiles per day (133 days)

The last update with 133 days is surprising holding similar to early this year.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
This is an awesome thread ethomaz! Also very interesting that the game is called "7" internally.
They use the same API is used for all games just changing the number... well at least works with gt6 and gt7sp... maybe not with gt5 and before because they already shutdown (or didn't have any online data lol).

August sales will favour digital vs retail as great PSN offers in UK, EU, NA.
Well that is profiles created that will probably be a bit lower than actual sales even so the used hands, sharing, etc are pretty low imo.

Said that I have no way to differentiate digital from physical profiles :(

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Well that is profiles created that will probably be a bit lower than actual sales even so the used hands, sharing, etc are pretty low imo.

Said that I have no way to differentiate digital from physical profiles :(
When it comes to PSN sales they always seems to have a bigger affect than store retail offers. I guess it's those impulse purchases and the increasing popularity of building a digital library.