• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
This is not the typical "how fast can you type" test, well maybe it is. Lately in my job I have had to spend time inputting numbers and while I can do 100 WPM normally, I never realized how slow I am with the number pad.

Been looking for a site to practice, and I found this one that times you as you go through the lessons. How good are you guys at this?

https://www.typing.com/student/lessons/351/numeric-keypad-10-key

I want to compare myself to see what's a respectable speed and set a goal. Oh and if you know of a better website, please share! Thanks.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This is not the typical "how fast can you type" test, well maybe it is. Lately in my job I have had to spend time inputting numbers and while I can do 100 WPM normally, I never realized how slow I am with the number pad.

Been looking for a site to practice, and I found this one that times you as you go through the lessons. How good are you guys at this?

https://www.typing.com/student/lessons/351/numeric-keypad-10-key

I want to compare myself to see what's a respectable speed and set a goal. Oh and if you know of a better website, please share! Thanks.

44wpm, 96% accuracy (stupid dash...).

By comparison, my overall typing speed is ~95wpm with about 95% accuracy. EDIT: 99wpm with 98% accuracy using their 'regular' typing test.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
48wpm
100%
Best I can do.

I never realized how much the speed drops from just normal typing.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Wait why would you ever use the num pad? Wouldn't it be significantly faster to use the number keys above the keypad? Especially if you have to mix letters and numbers.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
Best I did was 60 with 100%, or 64 with 98%

moved on to visa numbers but it that is tough because it is just a string of 16 numbers with no spaces. it is slowing me down trying to read it and start making mistakes when i move fast.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Wait why would you ever use the num pad? Wouldn't it be significantly faster to use the number keys above the keypad? Especially if you have to mix letters and numbers.

Hell no it's not faster.

I work with ICD-10 codes all day, every day. Mixed characters. If I don't have a number pad it's hell.

Nov 2, 2017
33wpm with 96% accuracy. Not bad for someone who hasn't had to use 10-key for a decade.

Those dashes threw me off. Most systems usually auto input those in.

How big is your 10-key area, OP? Back when I had a job that heavily used it you could get a separate 10-key attachment which had better spacing between the buttons. Helped out those with bigger hands.

For inputting account numbers and/or dollar amounts into various systems.

OP
OP
Ballistik

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
Well I am talking in cases where the data you're typing has a lot of numbers. I imagine the fastest would be left hand for letters, right hand on the number pad.

My weak score:
Speed 33WPM
Accuracy 99%
Time Typing 0:35

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no it's not faster.

I work with ICD-10 codes all day, every day. Mixed characters. If I don't have a number pad it's hell.

You might just need to practice using the number keys. I don't see how it could possibly be faster to move your hand back and forth between letter keys and the num pad when using the number keys allows you to keep your hands in the same position at all times.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You might just need to practice using the number keys. I don't see how it could possibly be faster to move your hand back and forth between letter keys and the num pad when using the number keys allows you to keep your hands in the same position at all times.

You might just need to not assume how people work. I use a mouse. I'm in ten different programs at once. My hands are never still.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Most people using 10-key are not inputting a mix of numbers and letters. It's numbers or letters. There isn't a single person I know who actually knows how to use a 10-key who would rather use the numbers above the keyboard for more than a handful of letters.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
best so far:

pkWqhUf.png

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
You might just need to not assume how people work. I use a mouse. I'm in ten different programs at once. My hands are never still.
I'm not assuming how you work, you specifically told me that typing with the number keys was "hell" which leads me to believe that you just need to practice more.

For background, I used to work a data entry job which required typing a lot of addresses, I started out using the numpad but after I practiced using the number keys instead my speed went up significantly.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm not assuming how you work, you specifically told me that typing with the number keys was "hell" which leads me to believe that you just need to practice more.

For background, I used to work a data entry job which required typing a lot of addresses, I started out using the numpad but after I practiced using the number keys instead my speed went up significantly.

I've been doing this for a decade. Almost everyone else in my profession that I work with has the same attitude. You were alsodoing data entry that required a hell of a lot more text entry than I ever do, which may or may not be a difference-maker.

I'm probably 25% slower using the top number keys, which I never do unless I'm on my laptop. I do not like using my laptop for said reason.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
How about trying two-handed touch typing in the top row for a comparison? You could try from the home key position or with your home fingers over the 4 and 7 (or 5 and 8 if a more conventional positioning suits you).

This technique could well produce higher speeds for touch typists, as long as you have the luxury of access to a full keyboard and not needing a hand free.

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
56 WPM 100% accuracy - I used to have to enter phone numbers fairly frequently at work so the dash was no problem

Edit: Tried out of curiosity using the other row of numbers and got 46 wpm 98% accuracy, also felt less comfortable to me