• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Where's everyone purchasing from? Directly from each manufacturer? Need to get the tabs ready. Going in with a preference for EVGA or ASUS.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1080ti Lightning Z, a beast of a card, I reeeally don't need to upgrade, at all. Yet I'm sitting here drooling and thinking about upgrading to a 2080ti ! ... What is wrong with me?!?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
MSAA is still far less expensive than supersampling, and it's still the only effective method of anti-aliasing in many games. Very few games have a good TAA implementation, and most TAA really needs to be combined with downsampling to look great.
I've never found MFAA to work well in games, and miss CSAA (not supported on 900 series or newer) because that did work well.

It's also the only effective method of AA in VR. Everything else looks like absolute crap (the head is never totally still and unless you completely nuke all jags... they shimmer and crawl all over the screen). Yeah, there are some other AA methods, but then you're smearing vasoline all over your screen and super sampling is rendered impotent.

A good render resolution and MSAA is literally like looking at different generations of HMDs. It's insane how awful VR games look without this.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm going with a 2070 (assuming the 2080 ti prices are as high as we're thinking and the 2070 is in the $500-600 range) then what CPU should I be looking at? I cheaped out on my current build which I made in 2013 and it's been screwing me over ever since.

Nov 5, 2017
So if I'm going with a 2070 (assuming the 2080 ti prices are as high as we're thinking and the 2070 is in the $500-600 range) then what CPU should I be looking at? I cheaped out on my current build which I made in 2013 and it's been screwing me over ever since.

Since Intel is removing HT from their mid-tier Coffee Lake S chips this year, if you want to go with Coffee Lake, then your only real option is the 9900K since it will offer both overclocking and hyper-threading. Otherwise, the Kaby Lake chips are still the best in terms of pure IPC and overclocking (on Intel's side).

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying until I see the benches, also need to hear about stuff like coil whine and if cards are overheating like happened to some EVGA cards last year

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
A 2060 or a 2070 will be perfectly fine unless you are gaming at 4K. Same with a 1080 or a 1080 Ti. These are great cards. 95%+ of gamers do not need the best card available. I'd look to spend about $300 on a 2060 or a 1080 if I was someone like you. That would be the best bang for your buck.

You gotta realize that even the best cards still become old in 1-2 years when the new series launches anyways. That $1000 2080 Ti won't be outdated per se, but there will be new cards better than it in about a year. GPUs are not wise investments; they are always getting improved upon. For someone with fiscal responsibility, there are two facets of thinking here. You can spend $300-500 and plan to upgrade a little sooner. Or you can go all out, buy the best card, and skip the next cycle of upgrades. But a $1000 GPU has never been a thing. This is resetting the bar. If I were you, I'd drown out all the noise on here and buy something more cost appropriate. The "I have to get a Ti" people are not representative of the whole, lots of them are caught up in the launch hype, and most of the people that buy 2080 Ti's aren't going to max out their performance anyways. Half of them buy it just so they can tell people. It's a snob appeal kind of thing.
For those that do like to upgrade each cycle it's the ti that holds its value the most. I have a feeling that the used market for the 1080 is going to plummet over the next month but the 1080ti should hold steady to just under the price of the 2070. For those of us who got the 1080ti at $700 being able to sell a 2 year card for $400-$500 is pretty good. You don't get that kind of return for any other card.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

I almost built a new system on impulse last night, but quickly found out that Intel's new chips are supposed to release on October 1st so I decided to wait. I'd recommend doing so, otherwise look into the i7 8700k or i5 8600k if you want to save some money and are only using the PC for gaming.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Since Intel is removing HT from their mid-tier Coffee Lake S chips this year, if you want to go with Coffee Lake, then your only real option is the 9900K since it will offer both overclocking and hyper-threading. Otherwise, the Kaby Lake chips are still the best in terms of pure IPC and overclocking (on Intel's side).
Gotcha. I honestly don't know much about CPUs, so it's hard for me to know what I'm looking for. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though!

I'm not buying until I see the benches, also need to hear about stuff like coil whine and if cards are overheating like happened to some EVGA cards last year
How quickly do cards tend to restock? I really don't want to pull the trigger on something sight unseen, but I'd hate to have to put my build off too long.

I almost built a new system on impulse last night, but quickly found out that Intel's new chips are supposed to release on October 1st so I decided to wait. I'd recommend doing so, otherwise look into the i7 8700k or i5 8600k if you want to save some money and are only using the PC for gaming.
Oh, okay. Putting it off until October is probably best anyway, gives me more time to set aside funds and not skimp on anything/do adequate research. Thanks!

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats power consumption like on 2080ti vs 980ti? Also what about card length and size? I have a small HP envy case but it has a 980ti in it.

Nov 5, 2017
Whats power consumption like on 2080ti vs 980ti? Also what about card length and size? I have a small HP envy case but it has a 980ti in it.

We don't know yet. All of the stuff that has been leaked so far has been just the specs on the Nvidia chip and the designs on some of the major AIBs. We will have to wait < 24 hrs to get concrete info on the lengths and physical dimensions of these AIBs.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is NVLINK just going to take the place of SLI and will only work for current games that support SLI or is NVLINK going to offer more compatibility?.

If all it's being utilized for is higher bandwidth SLI then I'm not even going to bother. Never mind the fact that a. NVLINK bridge is like $600 last I checked.

Also who upgrades to a new GPU every cycle? I was wondering if it's worth it to continue upgrading and selling previous hardware. I feel like I could knock off a good amount of money by selling my Titan Xp and i76850... But is there remorse afterwards or are you normally satisfied.

Reason I'm asking is because the more Im looking at this lineup of cards the more I feel that I should wait for the 3000 series and let this new tech mature a bit. It looks like the performance boost from flagship to flagship card isn't going to look very good. Hopefully benchmarks show different.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

The rumour is that the reference 2080ti has the same TDP as 980ti - 250W. The aftermarket ones will go higher, I think the PNY was rumoured to be at 285W. There's nothing rumoured yet about the length, but most of the pictures we've seen so far makes them look quite a bit longer than a 980ti.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for some reason I'm not particularly excited for these cards. I kinda blame the fact I still game at 1080p on my 970 and my interest in Intel's shit. besides, I'm looking at a new CPU (and thus a whole rebuild) in the meantime

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
No. Get your facts straight.
Facts straight? Wtf does that mean? I guess you have the 2080ti and have opened one up yourself?

Yes, we have seen a fab of what is supposedly the next card and some leaked material but facts? GTFO with your shit posts.

What is wrong with ERA folks just being assholes lately?

I didn't say it WAS coming out at 7nm. I asked if there was a chance. Facts. You can shove your facts.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Is NVLINK just going to take the place of SLI and will only work for current games that support SLI or is NVLINK going to offer more compatibility?.

If all it's being utilized for is higher bandwidth SLI then I'm not even going to bother. Never mind the fact that a. NVLINK bridge is like $600 last I checked.

Also who upgrades to a new GPU every cycle? I was wondering if it's worth it to continue upgrading and selling previous hardware. I feel like I could knock off a good amount of money by selling my Titan Xp and i76850... But is there remorse afterwards or are you normally satisfied.

Reason I'm asking is because the more Im looking at this lineup of cards the more I feel that I should wait for the 3000 series and let this new tech mature a bit. It looks like the performance boost from flagship to flagship card isn't going to look very good. Hopefully benchmarks show different.

I have a strong feeling that this will be a shorter than usual "generation".. Meaning I think the 2080 and 2080ti will be accompanied quite quickly next year by another sku and a Titan sku.

However, I actually am the type of person that upgrades every cycle. I like to stay on the cutting edge.. If a new GPU is anything over 25% faster, I'll get one. However in certain cases if they are only 10-20% faster, I'll consider other things like if there's been any enhancements or additions of new technologies specific to that series that could be useful in the future. Such as the USB-C connector for VR and the like. That would be useful to me.

I also have friends who are usually chomping at the bit to take my old hardware off me, so that money 100% gets cycled back into the build and lessens the sting of gpu prices lately, so to speak.

As for SLI/NVlink. I gave SLI up a while ago because the support just isn't there anymore and it's not worth it since single GPUs are so powerful these days anyway.. it's overkill imo. However, if NVlink does have some kind of new and improved support and both GPUs can access both memory pools.. there may be some way that compatibility with newer engines is improved or added. I'll have to wait to see how it plays out, but for now, no plans. Also, I'd assume that since the VRAM on the consumer cards is quite a bit smaller than enterprise cards, that a much cheaper (but still expensive obviously) lower bandwidth NVlink made for consumer cards will be released.

So yea, I'm still going to upgrade this cycle and probably next as well. I've been waiting a bit now for these cards and the excitement is real.

marcod

Oct 27, 2017
So how bad is the experience of ordering one of these things going to be? Was Nvidia's last gen GPU release a total farce for pre-ordering?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm coming around to the idea that once you have more than four cores, it's actually beneficial to disable HyperThreading / Simultaneous Multi-Threading for gaming.
In games that are lightly threaded, HT/SMT hurts performance even on a quad-core CPU.
In newer games which benefit from more than four cores, the extra hardware threads from HT/SMT can help performance on a quad-core CPU.
But once you move beyond four cores, it actually seems best to disable HT/SMT again. Few games seem to scale well beyond 8 cores, and giving them 12 or 16 threads to work with often ends up reducing performance overall.

I've recently been testing a number of games that are CPU-limited on my Ryzen 1700X, and most of them perform noticeably better with SMT disabled - with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided showing the largest difference, going from 61 FPS to 84 FPS in one area of the game.
Windows itself doesn't seem to know what to do with a large number of cores/threads either, as evidenced by recent 2nd gen Threadripper reviews where performance in some tasks is significantly higher on Linux.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Afaik this isnt a product launch, just a presentation to build hype and give us the first official info
I can confirm that pre-orders for the cards will go live tomorrow, don't know how long the wait will be for the real launch though but shouldn't be that long.

afaik all stores with this kind branding are getting new NV HW for pre-orders:
1vs3qWJ.png

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Will that stay this way if Playstation 5 gets 8 cores with hyperthreading?
Those 8 cores on a console aren't gonna clock anywhere near what a desktop CPU can reach due to stricter power targets, price restrictions and heat/noise concerns, so expect the better quadcores to work well into next gen.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Afaik this isnt a product launch, just a presentation to build hype and give us the first official info
This is a launch of several products actually, street dates will be in Sep (and possibly Oct for some custom versions) of course. I'm expecting 2070 in early Oct and 2060 around early Nov as well.

Great, because not a single notable tech store in my ENTIRE country seems to be among them
They'll be sold out for a couple of months everywhere anyway. It's also generally a good idea to wait for better custom versions which are unlikely to be available on launch - unless all you want is the board to put the water block on of course.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Will that stay this way if Playstation 5 gets 8 cores with hyperthreading?
Some of the speculation I had seen was that next-gen consoles may have 8 cores but no SMT.
No-one can really say at this point, but I'd be surprised if an 8-cores i7-9700K without HT would be holding anything back next-gen compared to an i9-9900K.
Of course there's nothing to stop you buying an i9, which likely has more cache too, and disabling HT if that's what performs best in today's games.

Status
Not open for further replies.