• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. So buying a 2080 or 2080TI, and only upgrading my CPU a few months after would not be a stupid move? Id just not get as high framerates as I could for that time?
Pretty much yeah. If your CPU upgrade is definitely within a few months, I wouldn't worry about it. I've always upgraded piecemeal instead of doing total overhauls and I've never really run into show-stopping issues on the CPU or GPU side.

Huh? Newegg doesn't have this branding. Does that mean Newegg of all places won't have the cards?
Newegg doesn't do preorders for new product launches like this. You'll fight in the Royal Rumble with the hundreds of other people on Nowinstock for the privilege of buying a card from them and you'll like it.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to upgrade when they come out as my 980ti is starting to age. On the other hand I could upgrade my cpu but I don't think the benefit would be worth it .

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gee I wonder why tomorrow!

....world premiere my ass though. We've seen hours of footage from e3 and streamers lol.

Nov 5, 2017
I'm tempted to upgrade when they come out as my 980ti is starting to age. On the other hand I could upgrade my cpu but I don't think the benefit would be worth it .

Very rarely is the CPU the bottleneck when it comes to gaming. IMHO, if you game at 1080p, I would hold off until the 7nm cards are announced (which are slated to release sometime next year). Not only will you be getting a more mature Turing architecture, but they will also be more power efficient due to the die shrink.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Very rarely is the CPU the bottleneck when it comes to gaming. IMHO, if you game at 1080p, I would hold off until the 7nm cards are announced (which are slated to release sometime next year). Not only will you be getting a more mature Turing architecture, but they will also be more power efficient due to the die shrink.

Good point. I game at 1440p and it's a haswell refresh I5.

I'm tempted to go AMD this time (CPU)

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will A blower even be enough to cool the 2080ti? How did the 1080tis founder edition hold up with temps and throttling?

I have two founder's edition 1080s and they're stacked right on top of each other. The air gets vented out through the back of the case and warms my room up, which is great on cold winter days.

As long as I watch my fans I can keep the cards under 80 Celsius easily, even with the most demanding games. Yes, you'll throttle the card if you don't manually control your fans before launching a demanding game. And if fans annoy you, then heat becomes a problem.

I've never had my system shut off because of a heat issue, and I'm running at 3440x1440. Many times I've looked up at my OSD and seen that both 1080s were running above 95%, and the temps on both cards were below 80 centigrade. That's with a pretty aggressive fan setting though.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
By how much are you guys expecting the 1080 to drop? I was gonna buy a 1070 but now I guess I should wait?

Some retailers might drop the price a bit to get rid of the stock, but MSRP will most likely not go down at all and if you are looking for a good deal you should look for used cards from people who are gonna upgrade now.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Some retailers might drop the price a bit to get rid of the stock, but MSRP will most likely not go down at all and if you are looking for a good deal you should look for used cards from people who are gonna upgrade now.
I'm always iffy on buying used cards due to me not knowing how intensively the card was used. I'm assuming ebay is the go to?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am going to be there at the event tomorrow in Köln.

Do you think Jen Hsun will notice me casually walking on and off the stage with about 3 2080Tis? Perhaps he will be too busy yelling at the guy controlling the slides!

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017

Do you think Jen Hsun will notice me casually walking on and off the stage with about 3 2080Tis? Perhaps he will be too busy yelling at the guy controlling the slides!

Wear a leather jacket and shout "The more you buy the more you save", he will assume you're part of the presentation. Good luck.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Wear a leather jacket and shout "The more you buy the more you save", he will assume you're part of the presentation. Good luck.

I'll keep the getaway ride warm!

Oct 30, 2017
So are they dropping the 80ti version with the others tomorrow? I see articles saying the specs and all are out there now. If so, I'm so in for a 2080ti

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Still sitting on my 2013 build with a 2GB 770. Feels absolutely ancient now, so i don't think I will be able to hold off for 7nm and will get a 2080 or 2080Ti depending on price.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So which one of you lovely people are going to buy my poor arse a Turing Titan when it comes out ? :P

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B0lkhKC.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Can you PM me a few please?
Well, this forum for one.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/buy-sell-trade-thread-2018-read-the-new-rules-in-the-op.454/
Be sure to read the OP thoroughly, there are rules. There's also a community feedback system that's managed to carry over from GAF.
I've managed to both buy and sell gpus (2 sell, 1 buy) on GAF and Resetera (1 sell). And that's just cards, had success buying/selling other stuff too. Great overall experience.

Ebay has been fine for me as a buyer. As a seller, I had some bs happen involving a perfectly fine 780 I sold - got there with a broken fan somehow, buyer did a fan replacement without telling me (didn't provide any proof at all), left me bad feedback that hit my account for a few months. Luckily I didn't get scammed or have a chargeback. Next card (Titan Black) went fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.