• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
Yeaaah I think I'll wait for 7nm cards. I get the feeling Nvidia is only putting these out because they want to get ray tracing implemented and they need powerful cards for those new screens that will be going on sale soon.

My 1070 can hold me over until the RTX 3080/3080 Ti

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'll be doing a new build.

When does that i9 9900K or whatever land? I know it was supposed to paper launch this month... when can I pick one up in stores?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Monster Hunter World
The Witcher 3

The Witcher 3? Doesn't the 1080ti do this already?

Raw Data VR
Titanic VR
Skyrim VR
Elite Dangerous VR

Hell almost all VR will greatly benefit from this boost in power.

Looking forward to what games will support Ray Tracing tech tomorrow. I'm not expecting complete solutions obviously, but still should be exciting.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeaaah I think I'll wait for 7nm cards. I get the feeling Nvidia is only putting these out because they want to get ray tracing implemented and they need powerful cards for those new screens that will be going on sale soon.

Wouldn't that be like 20 years of video cards? 21xx, 22xx, 23xx ... 29xx, 30xx? 2 years per gen?

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you like the name Duke as the 2080 version of the card is called MSI Duke

MSI-GeForce-RTX-2080-DUKE-1000x785.jpg
That's just weird.
A weird name.

Duke
The Duke
I'm going to the bathroom to take a duke

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to wait for the announcement tomorrow but as a fellow 1070 owner am learning the same way. My 4670k probably needs replacing first with the 9900k and then I can get a new GPU when cyberpunk is out.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna get an 8700k and whatever the card that ends up closest to the $500 range is. If I don't order tomorrow, how long should they be out of stock? I've never bought a GPU close to launch so I don't know what restocking times are like.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they come out with mini (ITX) variants of these new cards. They already did so with the 1080 and even 1080Ti.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm in this boat since I plan on keeping my Predator X34 (3440x1440x100hz) for the foreseeable future, and my 980Ti is just good enough to get about 80-90fps in games at that resolution right now. I feel that a 2080 or something similar would have to be coupled with a system / monitor overhaul to properly justify it. I'm decently sure I can wait another year or so without issue and cash in on that 7nm bump.

Nov 5, 2017
I think I'm gonna get an 8700k and whatever the card that ends up closest to the $500 range is. If I don't order tomorrow, how long should they be out of stock? I've never bought a GPU close to launch so I don't know what restocking times are like.

If the past year and year half is any indicator (it might not be considering how crypto was huge back then), the cards could be out of stock for a long time (possibly until Jan 2019?)

Or they could be out of stock initially and then when the second batch has been made, it might come back again, possibly in time for Black Friday and the holidays (assuming that the cards launch near or close to the announcements tomorrow instead of a paper launch tomorrow and retail launch happening in late Sept or early Oct).

In other words, I don't know. It could be bad or it could be inconvenient.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
If the past year and year half is any indicator (it might not be considering how crypto was huge back then), the cards could be out of stock for a long time (possibly until Jan 2019?)

Or they could be out of stock initially and then when the second batch has been made, it might come back again, possibly in time for Black Friday and the holidays (assuming that the cards launch near or close to the announcements tomorrow instead of a paper launch tomorrow and retail launch happening in late Sept or early Oct).

In other words, I don't know. It could be bad or it could be inconvenient.
Damn, well I guess I'll try to get an order placed just in case when they drop tomorrow and I can cancel if it comes to it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will come down to miners, I think. I know that scene has taken a hit with all the crypto values way down. But, I am still afraid they are going to show up and buy up all the stock.

Does best buy usually do preorders for new cards, are do they lag behind?

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
The 1070 outperformed the 980ti. Nvidia is saying these cards are a bigger improvement than anything in the past ten years. It should be as good as the 1080ti. Just probably safe to assume the MSRP will be $500+ if true though too....

I had both cards and this isnt true. 1070 performed just about the same, using much less power.

To everyone thinking about buying a 8700k, please wait. Buy the rtx of your choice and use it with your ivy bridge or haswell for a month until coffee lake refresh is released.

Nov 5, 2017
The 1070 outperformed the 980ti. Nvidia is saying these cards are a bigger improvement than anything in the past ten years. It should be as good as the 1080ti. Just probably safe to assume the MSRP will be $500+ if true though too....

You have to understand that whatever Nvidia themselves say about the cards they are releasing is all marketing bullsh*t. You have to wait for the 3rd party reviews and benchmarks to come out and then judge the performance for your self.

AMD isn't out of fault either. They do it too. All manufacturers like to stretch the truth.

So don't take Nvidia's word as the gospel or the truth. Take it for what it is and then temper your expectations accordingly and wait for the reviews or benchmarks to hit to make your final call.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean I suppose we'll all know tomorrow (well 11 hours or whatever from now) but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that this 2000 series may all be marketing huff. I mean does anything actually make use of the ray tracing hardware that's out right now ? how many games going forward are going to patch it in or include it at launch ?? It just kind of reminds me of PhysX which you pretty much never hear about anymore. Not to say it won't be bigger in the future , just that for 2018 I kind of doubt it's that big a deal.

The other, bigger factor for me is that the 2080 ti (which seems to be the only card worth caring about unless you've got something older than a 970) will probably cost 1500$ Canadian. I'm still going to keep an eye on things mind you. I mean new hardware is always fun to talk about.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting.

Side note, doing some research into a new build around a 2080Ti...

Looks like AMD's Ryzen Threadripper 12 Core and 24 Thread 1920x is a good option to pair with it for 499?

Coming from a 3770k that has held me over since launch. Currently running 970 FTW in SLI

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So from what I'm reading aftermarket cards are usually better than reference?

Does anyone have a list of retailers we should be checking tomorrow? I want to have accounts ready on all of them in case they start selling out.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I suppose we'll all know tomorrow (well 11 hours or whatever from now) but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that this 2000 series may all be marketing huff. I mean does anything actually make use of the ray tracing hardware that's out right now ? how many games going forward are going to patch it in or include it at launch ?? It just kind of reminds me of PhysX which you pretty much never hear about anymore. Not to say it won't be bigger in the future , just that for 2018 I kind of doubt it's that big a deal.

The other, bigger factor for me is that the 2080 ti (which seems to be the only card worth caring about unless you've got something older than a 970) will probably cost 1500$ Canadian. I'm still going to keep an eye on things mind you. I mean new hardware is always fun to talk about.

Metro Exodus will have RTX features when it launches. I would assume other games will too.

kpjolee

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

Side note, doing some research into a new build around a 2080Ti...

Looks like AMD's Ryzen Threadripper 12 Core and 24 Thread 1920x is a good option to pair with it for 499?

Coming from a 3770k that has held me over since launch. Currently running 970 FTW in SLI

For best gaming performance, either go with 8700k or wait for 9900k in couple of months, unless you actually need 12cores for work purposes. If you are going for AMD route, Ryzen 2700x is going to be a better option than Threadrippers for gaming.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
You have to understand that whatever Nvidia themselves say about the cards they are releasing is all marketing bullsh*t. You have to wait for the 3rd party reviews and benchmarks to come out and then judge the performance for your self.

AMD isn't out of fault either. They do it too. All manufacturers like to stretch the truth.

So don't take Nvidia's word as the gospel or the truth. Take it for what it is and then temper your expectations accordingly and wait for the reviews or benchmarks to hit to make your final call.

All? Yes some of it is BS, but much of the performance people have already calculated from the likely specs already. I wouldnt go so far as Nvidia being a crooked car salesman and selling lemons. Nevertheless i agree people should wait for benches, but people can be excited for tomorrow.

Also if any company is guilty of BS its apple, far and away some of the most BS ive ever heard.

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017

If you are doing productivity work with your computer where you would get the extra benefit from all 12 cores then it's a good chip. If you're just gaming then it's completely unnecessary and half or more of those cores are going to be underutilized depending on the game in question. A 6 or 8 core chip from Intel or AMD would serve you better for gaming tasks at lower prices.

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't paying attention until now, but DVI ports are gone in all the leaked renders I've seen

goodnight, sweet prince.
PDwxZs4.png

Why still two slots though? Blower style cards better not have that extra DP on top.
edit: I suppose to accommodate the VirtualLink, that I'm guessing is that USB-C

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't paying attention until now, but DVI ports are gone in all the leaked renders I've seen

goodnight, sweet prince.
PDwxZs4.png

Why still two slots though? Blower style cards better not have that extra DP on top.
Guess I got to get a new monitor then...then again I was always going to since my 1440p monitor is 5+ years old now and only does DVI.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll be doing a new build.

When does that i9 9900K or whatever land? I know it was supposed to paper launch this month... when can I pick one up in stores?
Available in October in limited quantities so there might be mark up by $50-200 depending on how limited.. Should be readily available by January/February.

Gotta love Intel, after seeing how successful the Ryzen 2000 series was doing, they decided to launch their new processors 4-5 months early, even though they won't really be available in decent quantities for 4+ months, just to try to shift sales away from AMD.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the reason for DVI on those Korean monitors was to overclock them and drive at 96hz or something. You can do that with DVI, you can't do that with HDMI. There was a big controversy about that when AMD dropped DVI starting with the Fury X about what the Korean monitor people would do. Someone will probably produce a 2080 or 2080 Ti with a DVI output though, I'm guessing Gigabyte will because they have that setup where they have extra outputs compared to competitors' cards and you can pick which outputs you want driven.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I suppose we'll all know tomorrow (well 11 hours or whatever from now) but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that this 2000 series may all be marketing huff. I mean does anything actually make use of the ray tracing hardware that's out right now ? how many games going forward are going to patch it in or include it at launch ?? It just kind of reminds me of PhysX which you pretty much never hear about anymore..

That would be because PhysX is Ubiquitous. It's the default 3D physics engine in Unity, UE3 and UE4.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the reason for DVI on those Korean monitors was to overclock them and drive at 96hz or something. You can do that with DVI, you can't do that with HDMI. There was a big controversy about that when AMD dropped DVI starting with the Fury X about what the Korean monitor people would do. Someone will probably produce a 2080 or 2080 Ti with a DVI output though, I'm guessing Gigabyte will because they have that setup where they have extra outputs compared to competitors' cards and you can pick which outputs you want driven.
I mean fuck its 2018

Korean manufacturers of those monitors just need to move the fuck on and put a displayport connection on them.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

I wish I had bought a 1070 or 1080 instead of a 1060. I probably wouldn't upgrade to a 2XXX card if I had something that could reach 120-ish fps

Oct 27, 2017

Good point. My statement was speculation. Although I still think it should be pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.