• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
And yet they have the same issues regarding GPU availability and prices and what not?

I mean, I bought my 1080 for around 550 quite a while ago and now those go for like 800-1000... Meh, fix your shit.

Edit: Yes folks, stop quoting me to enlighten me about mining and retailers and crap, hell, I'd be more understanding if Nvidia did profit from all these crazy prices and they simply shifted their market to miners because of the profit potential they saw there (obviously without consiously abandoning gamers even if the net effect would be the same in that no cards would be left available for them) but as far as we know pretty much nothing beyond the regular sale price goes to them, lol. Which is why I made this comment since they're bragging about having all the suppliers and shit, when in practice it's still impossible for gamers to get their gamer products just like it's impossible for AMD buyers, so all that bragging about it seems misplaced given the current situation as it doesn't make supply of their product to the intended audience any better. Geddit?

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i wish I had a billion of anything

id even take lame pogs

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia:

giphy.gif

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Man they must be so salty about AMD getting that console deal

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
As much as I like Nvidia (my last 3 cards have been from them), that's not good to hear. We need AMD as a competitor.

Warbear

User requested self-ban.
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
AMD is sort of lucky, both Nvidia and Intel desperately want them to stay relevant and afloat or they would most likely be broken up by various governments due to anti-trust laws.

Are you sure? If a competing company goes down and you're the only one left, the government wouldn't be able to break you up for that.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. My first GPU was an AMD and I don't think I'd ever go back. That said I still want AMD to do well just to provide competition. It'd suck if Intel/Nvidia had none. AMD have lit a fire under Intel's ass with Ryzen and I hope they do the same for Nvidia but I think it's unlikely.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the company is just as bloated as their drivers (Yes, I am still salty that they bought 3dfx, the only true GPU manufacturer).

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could've made a bank with Vega even in the state and performance level it is in, but the decision to go with HBM2 memory was just idiotic.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a ryzen. 5 1600 and overclocked and really love it. I was going to get a Vega as my gpu, but the performance and price was disappointing, so I just got the gyx 1080 just before the price skyrocketed .

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Are you sure? If a competing company goes down and you're the only one left, the government wouldn't be able to break you up for that.

I can't find a link now, probably due to the most recent anti-trust case between Intel and AMD, however I'm pretty sure I remember that Intel "saved" AMD at some point in the early 2000s by investing in them to stave off the regulators in case AMD went bankrupt.
It is also one of the reasons that Intel and AMD have been forced to cross-license their x86 tech.

It might not be viewed that way today due to the influx of ARM chips, but back then you had x86 or some obscure UNIX system.
It's also highly unlikely that the current US government would do anything to break up monopolies or duopolies but it's a different matter in the EU.

However if you look into the past, you can see that companies that have achieved effective monopolies have been broken up so there is precedence for this in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil

Warbear

User requested self-ban.
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I can't find a link now, probably due to the most recent anti-trust case between Intel and AMD, however I'm pretty sure I remember that Intel "saved" AMD at some point in the early 2000s by investing in them to stave off the regulators in case AMD went bankrupt.
It is also one of the reasons that Intel and AMD have been forced to cross-license their x86 tech.

It might not be viewed that way today due to the influx of ARM chips, but back then you had x86 or some obscure UNIX system.
It's also highly unlikely that the current US government would do anything to break up monopolies or duopolies but it's a different matter in the EU.

However if you look into the past, you can see that companies that have achieved effective monopolies have been broken up so there is precedence for this in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil

I stand corrected, thank you for looking up the information. I can see why AMD being relevant in the GPU is a must for Intel now.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this mean no more 'GTX 970 3.5 + 0,5 feacture memory'.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I guess we won't be seeing a lot of optimized native Vulkan / DX12 titles soon then :-D

I hope we see more Vulcan as the Linux drivers are shaping up nicely for AMD and Intel GPUs. It would help the transition from Windows to Linux for many (including developers)
The windows Vulcan driver of Intel is sadly inferior to the one on Linux though so maybe they just gave up mid-way.

Grindwolf

Nov 29, 2017
Afghanistan
Word on the block is that Fed will only break up a company if the monopoly drives prices higher, there was a planet money pod about this subject ( https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/02/23/172724026/episode-438-mavericks-monopolies-and-beer )(not the actual article i was referring to) . Truth is gpu's tend to come from one source TSMC and they have only so much capability to produce chips (yield). Truth is Nvidia IMO hasn't hit a home run since the GTX8800 came out. That thing had me seeing stars (also yes it could play crysis!!!). The 10 series is the fastest but without AMD pushing back (vega is a bit of a failure vega56 is the only card that is worth buying (videogame only)) I feel that GPUs have kinda stalled.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Word on the block is that Fed will only break up a company if the monopoly drives prices higher, there was a planet money pod about this subject ( https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/02/23/172724026/episode-438-mavericks-monopolies-and-beer )(not the actual article i was referring to) . Truth is gpu's tend to come from one source TSMC and they have only so much capability to produce chips (yield). Truth is Nvidia IMO hasn't hit a home run since the GTX8800 came out. That thing had me seeing stars (also yes it could play crysis!!!). The 10 series is the fastest but without AMD pushing back (vega is a bit of a failure vega56 is the only card that is worth buying (videogame only)) I feel that GPUs have kinda stalled.

This government breaking up a monopoly is about as likely as passing universal healthcare

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Both AMD and Nvdia have been pushing their performance by at least 30% every architecture iteration for at least a decade, it is far from stalled, especially considering how slow storage, CPU and RAM have been moving.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Both AMD and Nvdia have been pushing their performance by at least 30% every architecture iteration for at least a decade, it is far from stalled, especially considering how slow storage, CPU and RAM have been moving.
Yeah. We're not seeing 2x jumps between card generations anymore, but a 2x jump in 2 generations isn't far off.
CPUs on the other hand have only seen tiny increments of per-core performance, same for RAM, SSDs/HDDs are practically static (the only major jump was HDD to SSD), and that's it.