• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
www.tomshardware.com

Nvidia Close To Buying ARM for $40 Billion: Report

The final piece of the puzzle
In a deal that would undoubtedly change the semiconductor industry for years to come, according to the Wall Street Journal, Nvidia is close to finalizing a deal with SoftBank to purchase ARM Holdings for more than $40 billion in stock and cash. The deal is expected to be officially announced early next week. While the exact terms and final sale price of the deal are unknown, the $40 billion offer would represent a tidy profit for SoftBank, which purchased ARM for $32 billion four years ago.

As part of the deal, Nvidia would likely be subject to regulatory approvals that would compel the company to continue to licence the ARM architecture to existing customers, but it would still gain access to a treasure trove of IP and engineering talent. That could enable the company to quickly develop custom CPU architectures for its own use, which would then further the company's broadening push into the profit-rich data center market.

www.wsj.com

SoftBank Nears $40 Billion Deal to Sell Arm Holdings to Nvidia

The Japanese technology conglomerate is nearing another big asset sale—of Arm Holdings to Nvidia—that would create a chip-industry powerhouse.

I'm very interested to know if this somehow is going to benefit Nintendo and their decision on choosing NVIDIA over AMD for the Switch.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Nvidia is gonna become a absolute colossus... I'd be very worried if I was AMD.... But more so for Intel... They have the most to lose and seemingly have absolutely nothing right now

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't appear to be to the consumers benefit. Huge boon for Nvidia...

Well, let's hope they prove me wrong.

Maybe competition is what Intel needs though.... so let's see what happens.

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't there a version of Windows that runs on ARM? Intel could be fucked if MS and NV go forward with producing their own Windows devices.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia ARM CPUs for PCs
Smartphone RTX GPUs
Custom SOC for Switch 2 for cheap prices

I hope this will happen!

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Intel better get their shit together. Apple is dumping them & Nvidia is about to come for their neck. And where will AMD be in all of this?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
This doesn't appear to be to the consumers benefit. Huge boon for Nvidia...
It could fall either way, I suppose, but the only way it'd really be detrimental to consumers is if Nvidia decides to mess up the current ARM licensing model... which could make ARM less popular, and thus create problems for Nvidia. I think a beneficial outcome is far more likely, with Nvidia setting itself up to reap the benefits of ARM licensing while using its existing reach to properly thrust itself and its very nice in-tegra-ted GPUs into the mobile market.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean my i7 will just crumble into dust as soon as that transaction will get through?

:(

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very interested to know if this somehow is going to benefit Nintendo and their decision on choosing NVIDIA over AMD for the Switch.
It's barely feasible and certainly not practical to put an x86-based CPU inside a portable device like Switch, so Nintendo's choice had to be one of the ARM-based SoC providers, but not necessarily AMD vs Nvidia.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
neccessary to compete with apple and intel.
AMD is no contest here.
i still wonder how they are able to be competitive since they have lost touch long time ago.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
If this happens I give x64 7 years before ARM is just capable of both outperforming it, and emulating it to a sufficient degree to provide full backwards compatibility.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Well if this is true we could see nvidia in 7 years with some real apu options for consoles

Jul 25, 2020
I'd like to think that could bring some investment. At the same time I think they'll struggle regardless and AMD are going to become market leaders.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this happens I give x64 7 years before ARM is just capable of both outperforming it, and emulating it to a sufficient degree to provide full backwards compatibility.
I give it 2-3 years.

I mean it already happens with the Apple SOCs if you look at the iPad Pro and the A12X development kits. It's just a matter of time until Nvidia is ready to mass produce their own ARM chips.

But yeah, the main reason Nvidia does this is to be a competitor in CPU market to Intel and AMD. Nvidia will do for PC what Apple does currently to their Macs.

This is the final nail in the coffin for x86. Apple will move to ARM quickly and Nvidia will follow for the PC side, their ARM CPUs will be much stronger and much more efficient than anything from AMD and Intel.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo going to be sitting mighty high if this goes through.

Intel going to struggle hard with their cpu fab issues and lack of gpu division. AMD would be cut down a peg as well.

Apple has been moving towards designing their own chips. If anything this would speed up the process but they'll be fine.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why ? Licensing is guaranteed (imagine what could it be for Qualcomm!) and having the Nvidia software and hardware support could help them for their own transition.

Yes but you need a license to emulate it xD
Intel was "forced" to give one to AMD to avoid dismantling but here I am not sure if they would have to.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
iu

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Very curious what this does to NVDA's stock price. Have wanted to invest for some time but still am yet to do so. This might be the time.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Nah Apple has an ARM architecture license which allows them to build their own designs and make them compatible with ARM architecture, sort of what AMD does with x86. They dont need to own ARM. Would be good to see some competent competition besides Qualcomm though.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
if this is confirmed, ouch, I can see a bumpy ride for a lot of chip makers that currently license ARM cores.

as for the alternative adopting and evolving RISC V is also not going to be easy

Nvidia was never one to go for cheap licensing and openness which is what made ARM what they are today...
I can see them increasing licensing costs and holding the latest core designs for their own SoCs first.

also I see it as a huge loss for the UK.