ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
press release

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Sept. 20, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GTC—NVIDIA today announced NVIDIA® DLSS 3, an AI-powered performance multiplier that kicks off a new era of NVIDIA RTX™ neural rendering for games and applications.

DLSS 3 builds on the company's lead in AI-accelerated super-resolution techniques to deliver outstanding image quality and up to 4x the performance of brute-force rendering, plus the quick responsiveness that defines a comprehensive gaming experience.

The technology debuted today during the GeForce® Beyond: Special Broadcast at GTC, which also introduced GeForce RTX® 40 Series GPUs based on the new NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture.

"DLSS is one of our best inventions and has made real-time ray tracing possible. DLSS 3 is another quantum leap for gamers and creators," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "Our pioneering work in RTX neural rendering has opened a new universe of possibilities where AI plays a central role in the creation of virtual worlds."

DLSS 3 is already receiving widespread support from the gaming ecosystem, with over 35 games and applications integrating the technology.

DLSS 3: The Performance Multiplier, Powered by AI
The combination of ray tracing and AI technologies has revolutionized video games by simultaneously delivering dramatic improvements in image quality along with massive uplifts in performance — a feat unheard of before GeForce RTX.

Powered by new fourth-generation Tensor Cores and a new Optical Flow Accelerator on GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs, DLSS 3 is the latest iteration of the company's critically acclaimed Deep Learning Super Sampling technology and introduces a new capability called Optical Multi Frame Generation.

Optical Multi Frame Generation generates entirely new frames, rather than just pixels, delivering astounding performance boosts. The new Optical Flow Accelerator incorporated into the NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture analyzes two sequential in-game images and calculates motion vector data for objects and elements that appear in the frame, but are not modeled by traditional game engine motion vectors. This dramatically reduces visual anomalies when AI renders elements such as particles, reflections, shadows and lighting.

Pairs of super-resolution frames from the game, along with both engine and optical flow motion vectors, are then fed into a convolutional neural network that analyzes the data and automatically generates an additional frame for each game-rendered frame — a first for real-time game rendering. Combining the DLSS-generated frames with the DLSS super-resolution frames enables DLSS 3 to reconstruct seven-eighths of the displayed pixels with AI, boosting frame rates by up to 4x compared to without DLSS.

Because DLSS Frame Generation executes as a post-process on the GPU, it can boost frame rates even when the game is bottlenecked by the CPU. For CPU-limited games, such as those that are physics heavy or involve large worlds, DLSS 3 allows the GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs to render the game at up to twice the frame rate that the CPU is able to compute the game.

DLSS 3 integrations also incorporate NVIDIA Reflex, which synchronizes the GPU and CPU, ensuring optimum responsiveness and low system latency.

Game Developers Embrace DLSS 3, Over 35 Games, Applications Coming Soon
The revolutionary power of DLSS 3 is a boon for game developers who want to express their artistic vision. The technology is coming to the world's most popular game engines, such as Unity and Unreal Engine.

View: https://youtu.be/eGHjP9zq53w

View: https://youtu.be/cJlo2I7CiD0
games and engines

• A Plague Tale: Requiem
  • Atomic Heart
  • Black Myth: Wukong
  • Bright Memory: Infinite
  • Chernobylite
  • Conqueror's Blade
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Dakar Rally
  • Deliver Us Mars
  • Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed
  • Dying Light 2 Stay Human
  • F1®​ 22
  • F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
  • Frostbite Engine
  • HITMAN 3
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • ICARUS
  • Jurassic World Evolution 2
  • Justice
  • Loopmancer
  • Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
  • Marauders
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Midnight Ghost Hunt
  • Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
  • Naraka Bladepoint
  • NVIDIA Omniverse™
  • NVIDIA Racer RTX
  • PERISH
  • Portal With RTX
  • Ripout
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2: Heart of Chornobyl
  • Scathe
  • Sword and Fairy 7
  • SYNCED
  • The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • THRONE AND LIBERTY
  • Tower of Fantasy
  • Unity

Since DLSS 3 builds on top of DLSS 2 integrations, game developers can quickly enable it in existing titles that already support DLSS 2 or NVIDIA Streamline.

also, it seems to be Lovelace exclusive due to needing the new tensor cores
DLSS 3 is powered by the new fourth-generation Tensor Cores and Optical Flow Accelerator of the NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture, which powers GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards.

more details
www.globenewswire.com

NVIDIA Introduces DLSS 3 With Breakthrough AI-Powered Frame Generation for up to 4x Performance

DLSS 3 Generates Entire Frames in Real Time With AI, Benefiting GPU- and CPU-Limited Games and Apps...

more technical details
www.nvidia.com

Introducing NVIDIA DLSS 3

Multiply frame rates by up to 4X!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Exclusive...of course.

So games with DLSS 3.0 won't have DLSS if you have an RTX 3000 series?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
They need to clarify the input latency aspect. I don't see how whole frames can be generated without a noticeable discrepancy in input response. "Optical Multi Frame Generation" just sounds like fancier motion smoothing to me.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I love vague announcements and lack of clarifications from big companies. How hard it is to just be clear will it support RTX 30 series and if it will at what capacity.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Exclusive to the outrageously priced 4000 series cards…
gun-to-head-nodding.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well let the rise of FSR and Intel solution capitalize on them fucking all their existing user base honestly.

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
"Our already closed-off proprietary solution is getting even more closed-off !"

This is so worthless. I really do hope that FSR and XeSS get prioritized in every single case from now on. The current situation with DLSS being pushed as a "just relent and buy our obscenely priced gpu with double the TDP of what you currently have" completely stiffles the most useful application of these kind of technologies, which is to make it so that regular users can get decent perfomances for a little while longer.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
So is DLSS 3.0 basically "more performance cus we put more cores"? I hope to god games with DLSS 3.0 still support DLSS 2.0

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is DLSS 3.0 basically "more performance cus we put more cores"? I hope to god games with DLSS 3.0 still support DLSS 2.0
that added more functionality to the tensor cores, more fp32 cores has nothing to do with it

hope we get some word on what this means for DLSS 2.0 going forward
either will still be updated or 3.0 will have the updated model sans frame interpolation as a fallback

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's also generating entire frames rather than just pixel data via upscaling. Like motion interpolation. Not just raw number increases performance.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to know if I should be impressed by those DLSS framerate numbers because they're exclusive to the 4000 series cards, and they're comparing to DLSS being off instead of DLSS 2 on the same cards running DLSS 3.

Nov 8, 2017
It's really hard to know if I should be impressed by those DLSS framerate numbers because they're exclusive to the 4000 series cards, and they're comparing to DLSS being off instead of DLSS 2 on the same cards running DLSS 3.

They gave one example of cyberpunk doing 24ish fps without, 60ish fps with dlss2, and 120ish fps with dlss3. Don't know if that was just on the nvidia article or in the stream.

Imo, at a guess, I would assume that something like half (or slightly more) of the frames are invented and half are from the normal dlss process that runs before the new process. Looking forward to finding out the nitty gritty details.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Dang it stinks that DLSS3's functionality only works on the 4000 series cards. Though I like the idea of having advanced frame interpolation, it's not worth buying a brand new card over. My 3080 should last me another generation or two at the high end.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Not every software feature can be implemented on every hardware under the sun.

Looks promising, but we will have to wait and see how its gonna turn out.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it being limited to 4000 series card guarantees this won't be on much more than those 32 games. Better off continuing to target DLSSv2 for wider pool of users.

Oct 25, 2017
Input latency is going to be terrible if you use this. Really seems like something that's more useful for benchmarks than actually playing games.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
So you telling me that I'll need some ridiculously powered graphic card to get more performance? Slow clap...

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I always kind of thought better frame interpolation was the next frontier on this stuff it just seemed like an area they could get free performance out of. I've been kind of eyeing the newer samsung tvs that have low latency interpolation for console games as they seem to be the best implementation; I wish tvs would make better efforts tbh, though seeing the gpus do it is one step better.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds cool, but not several months rent worth of cool. So there won't be any benefit whatsoever for 30 series owners? Boo.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it's something worth getting the 40xx cards over. On a 1070 now I barely use, I'll probably look for a used 3080 at this point.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I really fucking hope DLSS3 games fallback to DLSS2 by default and devs don't need to manually support both.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
any game running DLSS 3.0 will have 2.0 included, because in the flow of 3.0 half of the work is the existing 2.0 flow , with the 3.0 improvements coming in parallel. So an older GPU will just make use of 1/2 of the pipeline, as seen in the graph