• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Gamescom Game Ready Driver

This week, NVIDIA's out in force at Gamescom, the world's largest gaming expo. Yesterday, we announced ray tracing for blockbusters like Minecraft and Dying Light 2 , and shared plenty of new trailers and screenshots for Bloodlines 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Watch Dogs: Legion, and other upcoming AAA ray-traced titles.

Today, we're celebrating our GeForce gaming community by releasing a special Gamescom Game Ready Driver, at 6am PT, that packs some big software optimizations for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade and World War Z, which increase framerates by up to 23%.

Also included are several new beta features based on feedback and requests from our community -- an Ultra-Low Latency mode for faster input response, an Integer Scaling display mode for pixel art games, and a new GeForce Experience Freestyle sharpen filter. Lastly, our new driver brings support for 3 new G-SYNC Compatible gaming monitors, and day-0 game support for Remnant: From The Ashes.

For all the details, read on!

dr32vk2l.png

d2m0T2jl.png

New Ultra-Low Latency Options For Faster Input Response

We know that gaming isn't just about raw FPS – gamers also want great image quality and faster response times. So we're introducing a new Ultra-Low Latency mode that gives gamers the ability to get the low latency feeling of high framerates, without having to compromise their graphics quality settings or resolution to get there.

The NVIDIA Control Panel has -- for over 10 years -- enabled GeForce gamers to adjust the "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames", the number of frames buffered in the render queue. By reducing the number of frames in the render queue, new frames are sent to your GPU sooner, reducing latency and improving responsiveness.

Low Latency modes have the most impact when your game is GPU bound, and framerates are between 60 and 100 FPS, enabling you to get the responsiveness of high-framerate gaming without having to decrease graphical fidelity.

To select a Low Latency mode, open the NVIDIA Control Panel, head to "Manage 3D Settings", and scroll down to "Low Latency Mode". Three options are available:

• Off: The game's engine will automatically queue 1-3 frames for maximum render throughput
  • On: Limits the number of queued frames to 1. This is the same setting as "Max_Prerendered_Frames = 1" from prior drivers
  • Ultra: Submits the frame just in time for the GPU to pick it up and start rendering
Our new Low Latency Mode is being released in beta with support for all GPUs in DX9 and DX11 games (in DX12 and Vulkan titles, the game decides when to queue the frame).

GPU Integer Scaling: Sharper Upscaling for Retro and Pixel Art Games

Retro and Pixel Art games like FTL, Hotline Miami, and Terarria are loved by many in our GeForce community. When played on higher-resolution displays, though, many pixel art games have to scale to fit the display, resulting in a blurry image. To address this, our community requested an image scaling mode called Integer Scaling, which preserves detail on pixel-art games when the resolution is increased.

Well, we've heard the call, and thanks to a hardware-accelerated programmable scaling filter available in Turing, GPU Integer Scaling is finally possible!

So if you have a GeForce RTX or GeForce GTX 16-Series GPU, and have installed our new Game Ready Driver, you can enable an Integer Scaling beta in the NVIDIA Control Panel, in the "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" Display menu:

g2lyRMnl.png

Kfy3nvLm.png

New features:
  • Ultra low latency mode - ("Our new Low Latency Mode is being released in beta with support for all GPUs in DX9 and DX11 games (in DX12 and Vulkan titles, the game decides when to queue the frame").
  • GPU Integer scaling for Turing GPUs
  • 30 Bit Colour Support
  • Support for newly validated G-SYNC Compatible Displays
  • New Freestyle Sharpening Filter for Geforce Experience

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
You buried the lead hah. Integer scaling finally here. Excited to try it out in my tv. Looks like you need rtx or 16 series card right now to use it.

Massive driver update, tons of additions.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Packed update. That's quite an improvement for FH4 at 4k. The game already ran really well for me at that resolution. Integer scaling though, that's huge.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Hold up, integer scaling has been around for ages via Lossless Scaling software, but Nvidia are using it as a Turing feature and it's only available on their latest cards?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
integer scaling, is a big one you can use those 4K screens better now.

edit: Pascal can't do it :(

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Please can someone tell me the obsession with Strange Brigade, of all games?

I see it constantly used as a benchmark etc, and now here it is again as one of the games having a performance boost.

I though the game bombed hard.

Anyway, that aside, are they saying that the driver improvements are only targeting those games listed, or that most games should see improvements?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Bumps vulkan to 1.1.109, adding support for following extensions (vs 431.60 on Pascal):

VK_EXT_calibrated_timestamps
VK_EXT_ycbcr_image_arrays
VK_EXT_pipeline_creation_feedback
VK_NV_coverage_reduction_mode
VK_KHR_uniform_buffer_standard_layout
VK_EXT_separate_stencil_usage
VK_EXT_fragment_shader_interlock
VK_EXT_full_screen_exclusive
VK_KHR_imageless_framebuffer

Oct 28, 2017

I see it constantly used as a benchmark etc, and now here it is again as one of the games having a performance boost.

Anyway, that aside, are they saying that the driver improvements are only targeting those games listed, or that most games should see improvements?

Its strong on AMD hardware, so AMD fanboys use it to toot their GPU horn, and Nvidia use it to say "Ha, look, its not that important because we still do well on it!".

Nov 8, 2017

It runs well and scales highly. AMD likes to use it as a benchmark and a lot of reviewers started using it based on that iirc. Nvidia touting it in updates is definitely not because anybody is playing it.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You buried the lead hah. Integer scaling finally here. Excited to try it out in my tv. Looks like you need rtx or 16 series card right now to use it.

Massive driver update, tons of additions.

Tons of new things are in this update, I didn't expect them to drop this so suddenly.

Integer Scaling locked to Turing cards what a joke.

Yeah, it's a real shame. I was looking forward to them implementing Integer Scaling for my GTX 1080 Ti.
Is it really not possible at all to implement it in a driver without using Turing's features? Like this:

Yeah how hard is it to make this a software solution i mean freeware/shareware devs can do it:
store.steampowered.com

Lossless Scaling on Steam

All-in-one gaming utility for scaling and frame generation

Hopefully they do add it to GPUs that predate Turing in a future update.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah integer scaling locked to Turing only is dumb but my guess is they will put it out for all cards in a month or two.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Integer scaling is lighter computationally than linear interpolation but they somehow needed Turing for it. lol.

Nov 8, 2017
gatekeeping integer scaling is like, borderline anti-consumer lol

They've had no integer scaling for years, so it's an improvement. Make some noise, I expect it'll be extended to pascal before too long. They'll claim it was always coming either way, but as long as we get it, I'm happy. Just need dithering too.

N.B. AMD doesn't have it yet either, hopefully this will light a fire under that. I wonder if nvidia even would have gone this far if not for Intel announcing it as a feature, lol.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like NV targeted games that run well on AMD hardware
And I'd like to hear their reasoning for locking integer scaling to Turing

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The sharpen filter looks REALLY nice! I imagine it's similar to that feature AMD introduced a few weeks back, either way I was just playing Quantum Break thinking it looked a bit blurry, and the sharpen fixed in completely.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds nice. And it was about time for Integer scaling. Even though it's sadly only for Turing cards...

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Integer scaling locked to the Turing cards is such a cop-out. I was very excited for that feature as so many PC games borderline require it if you have a 1440p display or above, due to lack of support for resolutions above 1080p.

Hopefully they pull an RTX and bring the feature to the older cards in a later update. Gotta pump their stock somehow...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay is there any reason to install this with my 1070? If Integer Scaling is locked to Turing, will Pascal get any performance benefits?

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
just felt like saying it since the graphs only show Super cards.

For the nitty-gritty on each of those results, across multiple resolutions and GPUs, check out the charts below.
gamescom-2019-geforce-game-ready-driver-apex-legends-performance-improvements.png

There's more graphs at the link (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/gamescom-2019-game-ready-driver/) which would seem to indicate that the 2080ti is included.

So if you have a GeForce RTX or GeForce GTX 16-Series GPU, and have installed our new Game Ready Driver, you can enable an Integer Scaling beta in the NVIDIA Control Panel, in the "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" Display menu:
Other quote also seems to indicate that all RTX cards can do this, despite the others (original 20XX series) not being in the graphs.

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah how hard is it to make this a software solution i mean freeware/shareware devs can do it:
store.steampowered.com

Lossless Scaling on Steam

All-in-one gaming utility for scaling and frame generation
One reason to make this a Hardware Solution is it's faster than Software. Yes they can add this to previous cards via a driver update without recieving the speedup. At least I'm happy we get Integer Scaling now, it being built in is really nice though.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL