• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Linus is such a tool making videos talking bad about the cards and Nvidia like he's being brave immediately after making the biggest promotional videos out there for those cards a day before.

Checking the video out now to see what he really says since I was just triggered by his thumbnail lol 😅

Par for the course for him

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Just based on precedent. It's not that hard to imagine that at least one Ti version is/would be coming.

Precedent doesn't need to apply to every product release.

There is 10% difference between 3080 and 3090, so 3080Ti would be... 5% faster than 3080? Talk about nonsensical performance increase for noticeable price increase.

3090 is few % shy of absolutely full chip so there 3090Ti would be even more laughable.

Maybe they brand that 3080 20GB as Ti, but rendering gains would be next to zero.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife

There is 10% difference between 3080 and 3090, so 3080Ti would be... 5% faster than 3080? Talk about nonsensical performance increase for noticeable price increase.

3090 is few % shy of absolutely full chip so there 3090Ti would be even more laughable.

Maybe they brand that 3080 20GB as Ti, but rendering gains would be next to zero.

Yes that is basically what I said. Thank you for rewording my post, I guess.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

By the time they launch a Ti/Super card they may have better yields allowing clock speed improvements on top of increased VRAM and additional cores, etc.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Hope I never hear "itS nOT a GaMInG caRd" to defend this, lol. Literally all the marketing flies in the face of that.
Well, it's not really a gaming card though even despite the marketing.
It's mostly a card for those who need 24 GBs of VRAM for AI research and those who need 24 GBs for rendering.
In this sense it's good that it's only 10% faster than 3080 - people won't be buying it to solely play games on the thing.
Also a nice showcase of 10GBs being well enough for modern games. (CB.de has some 8K results where 24GBs actually matter for those interested.)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly doubt it. Feels like these chips are being pushed to breaking point as-is.

We have a brand new architecture on a brand new (to NV at least) manufacturing process. This has about as much room for growth as anything we've seen. That doesn't mean something (other than VRAM) is imminent but there may be be significant improvements between now and the 4000 series parts.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering your post basically said nothing of kind then... sure, u welcome.
tenor.gif

JayzTwoCents - Nvidia RTX 3080 FE Temperature Testing

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

Ridiculous thumbnails as usual, showing the opposite of the conclusion..

Well, confirms my original thoughts. The blower part of the FE helps a lot more with system cooling than all the fear of heating up the CPU and RAM because of the back fan. Traditional open air GPUs just exhaust in case. Blowers' problems used to be sound and now that is fixed in FE with the hybrid design.

FE continues to win.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Well, confirms my original thoughts. The blower part of the FE helps a lot more with system cooling than all the fear of heating up the CPU and RAM because of the back fan. Traditional open air GPUs just exhaust in case. Blowers' problems used to be sound and now that is fixed in FE with the hybrid design.

FE continues to win.

I mean FE is still the loudest and hottest running of all the 3080s on the market tho, right? Just not as loud or as hot as in the past? That's what literally all of the written reviews have shown to date. Is this video any different?

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the 3080 is the perfect 1440p/144hz card

excited to see what they can do with hopper

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur

FE continues to win.

thats it, when all the inventory is back to normal, I'll order the 3080 FE over the EVGA XC3.
3080 FE this time around is winning like a champ compare to AIB.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Mine is incredibly quiet. My Wraith Prism on the other hand......may upgrade that this year.
I think all cards are pretty quiet until you put them under load and ramp up the fans to keep the temps down. If you're not using a manual fan profile and aren't making it work its ass off, I imagine it's pretty quiet. And in general, this generation is quieter than previous FE generations.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
3090 is 12% over 3080 at 4k.
Avg of 246 tests.
Incredible bang for the buck!

Neuer Artikel: Launch-Analyse nVidia GeForce RTX 3090 | 3DCenter.org

Mit der GeForce RTX 3090 hat nVidia an diesem Donnerstag die zweite Grafikkarte der Ampere-Generation in den Ring geschickt. Während die GeForce RTX 3080 von vorangegangener Woche das neue HighEnd-Flaggschiff darstellt, ist die GeForce RTX 3090 als reine
Yikes, imagine getting the 3090 only for gaming!

Oct 27, 2017
USA

First video review of the Strix 3080 OC I've seen pop up. It's in Arabic (so I have no idea of a single thing said) but there are graphs and numbers.

Appears it was tested only against other Strix cards from prior architectures (even an AMD one).

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Hmmm I was thinking of getting a 3090.... But not with that small difference between the 3080...

My other issue is while the 3080 performance over my 1080ti is undeniable... I'm pretty unimpressed as a decent amount of this is due to the fact the 1080ti was a 250 watt card and now we're hitting 320 watt.... It's reasonable to say a quarter of that performance increase is simply due to pushing more power into the gpu....

While I'll be watercooling my case is mini ITX so I'm pushed on rad space.....

On top of the POSCAPS reference issue with some AIBs...

I'm a bit undecided and will sit it out for a bit I think...

DLSS etc is also tempting but yeah.... I'm not completely blown away overall... And I doubt AMD will come with something that is overwhelmingly compelling either...

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the video state what exactly is being measured? Did they confirm this is the computer only? I've seen people posting wattage before who turned out to have the entire power strip of their computer, monitor, router, etc... all in it instead of just the tower.
I don't speak that language, but power draw seems very high. Perhaps that's with card OC'ed and 480W power mode enabled (or whatever is equivalent to STRIX 3090 480W mode).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty unimpressed as a decent amount of this is due to the fact the 1080ti was a 250 watt card and now we're hitting 320 watt.... It's reasonable to say a quarter of that performance increase is simply due to pushing more power into the gpu....

Keep in mind you are comparing a mature architecture on a mature process node at TSMC to an immature architecture on a less mature Samsung process node. I think the move to Samsung is probably important here for both energy consumption and price.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia has the 3070 for Oct 15th and I hope that's true cause I have 2 days on my EVGA step up if that's the case.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia has the 3070 for Oct 15th and I hope that's true cause I have 2 days on my EVGA step up if that's the case.
It's true but with 3070 being a 2080Ti for $500 it's bound to meet an even higher demand than what we're seeing with 3080.
Basically don't expect it to be widely available at launch day (or week, or month even).

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's true but with 3070 being a 2080Ti for $500 it's bound to meet an even higher demand than what we're seeing with 3080.
Basically don't expect it to be widely available at launch day (or week, or month even).
Yeah I don't see myself getting a 3070 when it comes to that, more like a 3060 Ti/3060.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone find a nicer extension or cable for the 12 pin on the Founder's Edition?

Found this on Amazon, but I'm worried about the quality. Their other cables have pretty good reviews.

Amazon.com: Power Extension Cord Kit 12-Pin to 2x8-Pin PCIe Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 Connector for NVIDIA Ampere GEFORCE 18AWG RTX 3070 3080 Black White: Electronics

Buy Power Extension Cord Kit 12-Pin to 2x8-Pin PCIe Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 Connector for NVIDIA Ampere GEFORCE 18AWG RTX 3070 3080 Black White: Power Cables - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Anyone find a nicer extension or cable for the 12 pin on the Founder's Edition?

Found this on Amazon, but I'm worried about the quality. Their other cables have pretty good reviews.

Amazon.com: Power Extension Cord Kit 12-Pin to 2x8-Pin PCIe Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 Connector for NVIDIA Ampere GEFORCE 18AWG RTX 3070 3080 Black White: Electronics

Buy Power Extension Cord Kit 12-Pin to 2x8-Pin PCIe Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 Connector for NVIDIA Ampere GEFORCE 18AWG RTX 3070 3080 Black White: Power Cables - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
MODDIY.com has fully customizable cables tailored to your PSU

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly doubt it. Feels like these chips are being pushed to breaking point as-is.

Feels like it comes down to whether they can manufacture these at TSMC in 2021. If they could, it's easy to see how a refresh could come and naming conventions could work. Otherwise, yeah. Where's is going to come from? They're clearing being pushed to their breaking points already.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like it comes down to whether they can manufacture these at TSMC in 2021.
They could manufacture them at TSMC in 2020. Cards would cost you some 25-30% more.

If they could, it's easy to see how a refresh could come and naming conventions could work.
They won't manufacture the same chips at N7 in 2021 as this makes about zero sense from ROI perspective and N7 isn't that much better for them to be able to make a proper lineup refresh this way.
Next NV gen which may use TSMC will come no sooner than in 2022 IMO and will use N5.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
They could manufacture them at TSMC in 2020. Cards would cost you some 25-30% more.

They won't manufacture the same chips at N7 in 2021 as this makes about zero sense from ROI perspective and N7 isn't that much better for them to be able to make a proper lineup refresh this way.
Next NV gen which may use TSMC will come no sooner than in 2022 IMO and will use N5.

I'm not saying I expect it. But you'd agree, right, that there's not a whole lot of room for something like a 3080ti if they're staying on the same process. Only way it would make any sense is if they could drop the power figures (substantially) while giving a mildly interesting boost. That seems like it could only be met by the supposed designs that existed for TSMC factories.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But you'd agree, right, that there's not a whole lot of room for something like a 3080ti if they're staying on the same process.
Depends on what this 3080Ti will be.
They could make a 3080Ti with 12GBs of VRAM for example but with similar tflops as than of 3080.
They could stock up on GA102 chips with good clock bins but physical defects preventing them from being used in 3090s and use them for 3080Ti.
They could make a new GA102 revision on the same 8N process targeting lower power consumption which will allow to hit higher clocks in similar wattage.
There are a number of possibilities really.
But generally speaking I'm not expecting a 3080Ti a) soon and b) simply because it would have to be faster than 3090 to make any kind of sense as a product and this would kill off 3090.
So I would say that we're more likely to get a "Super"-style - or to be more to the point Fermi 500-style - lineup refresh somewhere around summer of 2021 with new chip revisions on top and possible GA103 introduction. It's also where a "3080Ti" appearance would make sense.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
ASUS STRIX 3080 OC was benched by Finnish site IO Tech.

strix3080-bench-tr-4k.png

strix3080-bench-oc-tr2.png

strix3080-bench-temp.png

With overclock GPU ran at 72C and whole system power draw was 603W, GPU by itself peaked at 440W. Without OC GPU ran at 67C. Default power limit is 370W and you can manually increase it all the way to the 450W.

Their test rig has....
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
  • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi (AMD X570)
  • 16 Gt G.Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz
Source, in Finnish: https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/testissa-asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-3080-oc/

Feeling better about my chances of the running i7 9700K @ 4.9GHz and 16GB along with this GPU with my 750W PSU :b

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what this 3080Ti will be.
They could make a 3080Ti with 12GBs of VRAM for example but with similar tflops as than of 3080.
They could stock up on GA102 chips with good clock bins but physical defects preventing them from being used in 3090s and use them for 3080Ti.
They could make a new GA102 revision on the same 8N process targeting lower power consumption which will allow to hit higher clocks in similar wattage.
There are a number of possibilities really.
But generally speaking I'm not expecting a 3080Ti a) soon and b) simply because it would have to be faster than 3090 to make any kind of sense as a product and this would kill off 3090.
So I would say that we're more likely to get a "Super"-style - or to be more to the point Fermi 500-style - lineup refresh somewhere around summer of 2021 with new chip revisions on top and possible GA103 introduction. It's also where a "3080Ti" appearance would make sense.

They could kill off 3090 and release a Titan, then plug in a 3080Ti.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With overclock GPU ran at 72C and whole system power draw was 603W, GPU by itself peaked at 440W. Without OC GPU ran at 67C. Default power limit is 370W and you can manually increase it all the way to the 450W.

Now this I can believe.
Because that other youtube video where they claim a 780+W full system power draw at stock with a 9700k and 16GB...