• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Diablo 3's art style is an odd one though, focused on almost oil painted backgrounds with more realistic models in the middle of it all, it reminds me of some animated movies. Im not sure if ray tracing would work well with it but it would be fun to see more games with it.

Most animated movies made in the last 2 decades have used ray tracing in some way, in fact animation studios have been using ray tracing and path tracing for about as long as VFX companies.

Banjo Tango

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Would love to see a ray traced Dark Souls, especially with how weird the lighting is in certain areas. Not sure if that's a "classic" though.

Maybe this could be an excuse for Konami to release a competent HD Silent Hill compilation?

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One more thing: old tech games plus latest tech (real time RT) look horrible together. Old models, old geometry, old everything BUT with realistic lightning! Not good IMO.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Most animated movies made in the last 2 decades have used ray tracing in some way, in fact animation studios have been using ray tracing and path tracing for about as long as VFX companies.
Yeah, i meant more 2D animated movies, D3's art style reminds me of a couple is all, i think D3 artists got their inspiration from one certain movie.

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
If anybody can afford the rights to do No One Lives Forever, it can be with the deep pockets of NVIDIA. It is an older game that can really really shine with Ray Tracing. The PC community would buy new cards in order to play that classic series.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
We recently got some ray tracing for screen space reflections in Halo working, its pretty fucking cool.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'll be really happy if Nvidia can push this forward, our results have been great. It brings out so many little things, you can even see the overshield now reflecting and moving it's light on the assault rifle.

Who's doing this? Looks awesome.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal 1 is the big one for me. That games environments could really pop with some nice updates!

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Who's doing this? Looks awesome.
It's mainly this guy on our team named Jazz, who is working with Marty McFly who made the initial raytracing shaders for Reshade. What sets us apart from reshade is that we can tweak it to each level in our project based on a number of criterea, and there is no extra setup on the users part than enabling it in the mods launcher. You can read more up on the project at reddit.com/r/halospv3 and the two wizards working primarly on this are always sitting in the discrd as well if you have any more technical questions about it.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Nvidia Lightspeed also involved with porting Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess to Nvidia Shield?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It's mainly this guy on our team named Jazz, who is working with Marty McFly who made the initial raytracing shaders for Reshade. What sets us apart from reshade is that we can tweak it to each level in our project based on a number of criterea, and there is no extra setup on the users part than enabling it in the mods launcher. You can read more up on the project at reddit.com/r/halospv3 and the two wizards working primarly on this are always sitting in the discrd as well if you have any more technical questions about it.

I totally missed the avatar so I didn't even know it was part of the SPV3 project. Thanks for the great work on SPV3, it's amazing!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Crysis RTX. Actually needs to happen.

Put that game back on the GPU-crushing throne!

Raymastered Editions.

9ErfHy2.gif

Thief 2 would be dope

Oh god, I'd love to see the first two Thief games like this. It would have to be handled with care, though, considering how closely shadows are tied into moment-to-moment gameplay.

Came in here to post this. It's because light and shadow are so integral to the game that I'd wanna see it ray-traced.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
There was an update that allowed support for GTX Cards. But at much lower quality obviously. Then there was an update that gave a small performance boost for Ray Tracing to all cards.

Which is why I thought it might be possible for 1080p 60fps.

lol, forget about it. My 1080 Ti did around 7-12 FPS on the quake demo. We need dedicated hw ray tracing support.

Oct 27, 2017
Very much doubt they'll do games that use shadows as part of its gameplay design (e.g. Thief games and Riddick). For one they'd have to set up the lighting scheme perfectly so that the shadows are in the same places as originally conceived.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
2080ti is the highest of high ends atm. Try the same thing with a 2070 and you run into problems. And DLSS is also a disappointing part of the package that still needs work.

DLSS has its days numbered I think. Nvidias own sharpening filter is amazing, even better than AMDs RIS as it supports all APIs. If the game supports resolution scale setting plus the filter, it will look 99999999x better than DLSS.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be interested just for versions of the games that run at high resolution/widescreen properly

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
While it may not be a new studio, I do hope this is something that they work on. There are so many classic games I'd love to see supporting ray tracing.

DLSS has its days numbered I think. Nvidias own sharpening filter is amazing, even better than AMDs RIS as it supports all APIs. If the game supports resolution scale setting plus the filter, it will look 99999999x better than DLSS.
You should watch Digital Foundry's videos on DLSS:

And Radeon Image Sharpening:

DLSS is a reconstruction technique, not just sharpening technique.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

That's not quite right. As said, DLSS is a reconstruction technique and for example in Control it definitely does a better job than running lower res with sharpening. DLSS is very useful until we have raytracing hardware that can do the high framerates we are used to. Then it can be still used for above native res quality. Sure, it does have some issues like working better the higher your starting resolution and only working with 16:9 resolutions in most games, which for me as a 32:9 display owner is a huge bummer as I could really use it. Nothing prevents you from pairing DLSS + sharpen filter either.

Doom 3 seems like a likely candidate for RTX remaster considering it's open source. Half-Life 2 would be amazing too.

Based on Quake 2 RTX the best games for it would be games that have a shitty lighting engine but otherwise good looking assets. Dark Souls 1/2 would be cool but unlikely to happen.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
That's not quite right. As said, DLSS is a reconstruction technique and for example in Control it definitely does a better job than running lower res with sharpening. DLSS is very useful until we have raytracing hardware that can do the high framerates we are used to. Then it can be still used for above native res quality. Sure, it does have some issues like working better the higher your starting resolution and only working with 16:9 resolutions in most games, which for me as a 32:9 display owner is a huge bummer as I could really use it. Nothing prevents you from pairing DLSS + sharpen filter either.

Doom 3 seems like a likely candidate for RTX remaster considering it's open source. Half-Life 2 would be amazing too.

Based on Quake 2 RTX the best games for it would be games that have a shitty lighting engine but otherwise good looking assets. Dark Souls 1/2 would be cool but unlikely to happen.

That's why I said if the game supports some sort of RESOLUTION SCALING + the sharpening filter, it produces better image quality and speed than DLSS, basically Nvidia killed DLSS itself with such a quality filter, and you don't need tensor cores.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why I said if the game supports some sort of RESOLUTION SCALING + the sharpening filter, it produces better image quality and speed than DLSS, basically Nvidia killed DLSS itself with such a quality filter.
Reconstruction filters like DLSS add detail not present at the native rendering resolution.
Sharpening filters enhance contrast to make existing details more visible, but do not add detail.
The videos above explain it clearly.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
That's why I said if the game supports some sort of RESOLUTION SCALING + the sharpening filter, it produces better image quality and speed than DLSS, basically Nvidia killed DLSS itself with such a quality filter, and you don't need tensor cores.

You do know that Hardware Unboxed is heavily AMD biased, right? I suggest watching:

My personal experience is that DLSS works well at least in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Control. I also use the Nvidia sharpen filter due to DLSS not working at 32:9 aspect ratio. To me you should not confuse sharpening filters with reconstruction just because DLSS had a rocky start.