• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lightspeed isn't a new studio. those native Shield TV ports (Half Life 2, Doom 3, RE5, etc) and some Fallout 4 mods were made by them

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Original Tomb Raider trilogy would like dope with Ray Tracing enabled, although that still wouldn't fix how the game controls like arse.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
This is the best news I've heard all year.

My wishlist is huge.

System Shock 2
Doom 3
Deus Ex
Half-Life 2
Unreal
Morrowind
Oblivion
Unreal Tournament 99
Quake III Arena
Mechwarrior 2/3

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Lightspeed isn't a new studio. those native Shield TV ports (Half Life 2, Doom 3, RE5, etc) and some Fallout 4 mods were made by them
Its a job listing to join their studio

As the description for this job listing reads, NVIDIA has kicked off an exciting new game remastering program.
"We're cherry-picking some of the greatest titles from the past decades and bringing them into the ray tracing age. Thus, we'll be giving them state-of-the-art visuals while keeping the gameplay that made them great. The NVIDIA Lightspeed Studios team is picking up the challenge starting with a title that you know and love but we can't talk about here."

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If this follows the trend of the Quake 1 and 2 and the Minecraft Ray Tracing stuff. I'm all onboard.

I can think of several classics off the top of my head that can benefit greatly with realistic shadows and ray traced lighting. Morrowind being one such example.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remaster of original Starsiege Tribes, please. I'll also settle for a Tribes II remaster.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
We recently got some ray tracing for screen space reflections in Halo working, its pretty fucking cool.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'll be really happy if Nvidia can push this forward, our results have been great. It brings out so many little things, you can even see the overshield now reflecting and moving it's light on the assault rifle.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I want them to try to remaster a cel-shaded game with ray-tracing.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's a really cool idea. I don't expect many games I love to be touched, though. Still, interested in seeing what fruit this endeavour will bear.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you need an RTX card for it to work? Doesn't it has some special hardware for raytracing?
Can a GTX 1080 bruteforce it?

There was an update that allowed support for GTX Cards. But at much lower quality obviously. Then there was an update that gave a small performance boost for Ray Tracing to all cards.

Which is why I thought it might be possible for 1080p 60fps.

Nov 8, 2017
Bad headline, but yes it's cool that Lightspeed are focusing on this and expanding their numbers to help.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein + Jedi Outcast pls. Then Doom 3 and Half Life 2 when you're done there.

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a purist, I'm not sure how I feel about this. A few games is ok, but doing that to something a certain creator already made....:/. I'm not a fan.
I'd prefer them funding modern PC-centric AA/AAA exclusive games. It makes sense on so many levels. Intel, AMD and NVIDIA should do that all the time. I don't get it.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
As a purist, I'm not sure how I feel about this. A few games is ok, but doing that to something a certain creator already made....:/. I'm not a fan.
I'd prefer them funding modern PC-centric AA/AAA exclusive games.

Agreed, the art direction in those games was made with a certain lighting in mind and changing it can break a lot of what was intended (Quake 2 itself look much brighter).

Any card can do raytracing, it's just a matter of implementation.

Yes, I'm aware. But the whole thing with RTX is that nVidia made something different in the hardware side of things to facilitate ray-tracing when using their own implementation. Quake 2 RTX on Steam has an RTX 2060 in it's minimum requirements.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
This is great news. When I played Quake 2, my mind immediately started thinking "what other games were made with the Q2 engine and could benefit from this..." Heretic 2 would be fantastic, but is probably a far shot...

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Games that should happen but won't:

GTAIII
GTAIV
GTAV
Halo:CE
Red Dead Redemption 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We recently got some ray tracing for screen space reflections in Halo working, its pretty fucking cool.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'll be really happy if Nvidia can push this forward, our results have been great. It brings out so many little things, you can even see the overshield now reflecting and moving it's light on the assault rifle.

Very cool, would be pretty wild in the snowy ice areas in big battles. Add it to the Halo MCC list for Scarlett/PC :p

Oct 27, 2017
Control worked just fine on my 2080ti with RTX+DLSS at 60fps+ with everything set to Ultra. Target resolution was 3440x1440

So yes, remaster old games NVIDIA

2080ti is the highest of high ends atm. Try the same thing with a 2070 and you run into problems. And DLSS is also a disappointing part of the package that still needs work.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with all the complaints about RTX's ray tracing functions, if AMD's work like I think it will, it just might be much worse

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm aware. But the whole thing with RTX is that nVidia made something different in the hardware side of things to facilitate ray-tracing when using their own implementation. Quake 2 RTX on Steam has an RTX 2060 in it's minimum requirements.
They just have dedicated hardware, meaning that if some games use their implementation the framerate tanks less dramatically. WoW will never use it, it's more likely that some fan will make something like that Minecraft's mod.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
So, are these going to be mods, or straight up releases? Because I would think they could only do this for games which have had their source codes released.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
So, are these going to be mods, or straight up releases? Because I would think they could only do this for games which have had their source codes released.

In the case of Quake II, it was free, and you can either play a few demo levels, or load your existing Quake 2 installation into the RTX version. So presumably future games would do the same, meaning you have to won/ buy them to enjoy the RTX features.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is such a damm good idea. Raytracing in modern titles is going to be hybrid for a long while, but the 2000s classics can have much more substantial reliance if not total reliance on raytracing.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're working with Remedy on the rumored Alan Wake remasters? That game, while not being super old, could really benefit from ray-traced lighting (and maybe redo the facial animations while they're at it).