Votes: 454 48.2%
  • Google Stadia will need a deep rework

Votes: 407 43.2%
  • Google Stadia is fine

Votes: 81 8.6%

• Total voters

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
After years in development, Nvidia's GeForce Now service is finally available to all users. Hosting PC games in the cloud, GeForce Now ties into your existing PC library across a range of online storefronts, allowing you to play your games on computers, smartphones and tablets. 1080p gaming at 60 frames per second is the aim, with Nvidia even offering access to real-time hardware-accelerated ray tracing for users prepared to pay a small price premium. More power, more titles, more flexibility, portability with your games library - in theory it's an impressive offering and 4K streaming apart, its feature set leaves Google Stadia in the shade.

GeForce Now previously ran on a beta basis, with users required to sign up and wait for access to the system. This delay on using the service has now been lifted, with Nvidia offering two access tiers to the system. Most likely to draw attention is the free offering where users can access the cloud system for a session of up to one hour - good enough for a game of Fortnite (apparently the most popular game). After that, there's nothing stopping the user from starting another session, though if the servers are fully occupied, a wait may be required.

Then there's the Founder's Edition tier. Priced at £4.99/€5.49/$4.99 per month for the first 12 months - with the first three months free - Founders get to jump the queue for server availability and can also access hardware-accelerated ray tracing features in supported games. Nvidia says that Founders get access to RTX 2080-level performance and to put it to the test, I loaded up Metro Exodus. At 1080p resolution with all settings fully maxed out, including ultra-level RTX, the game ran flawlessly at 60fps on the demanding Taiga stage.

It's titles like Metro Exodus where the comparisons with Stadia are perhaps the most stark. 4A Games' latest gets a reasonable port to the Google streaming service - it's essentially on par in terms of features with the Xbox One X version, but with some performance issues. However, it's locked to 4K resolution at 30 frames per second, with the full 4K output only available to those with high bandwidth connections. While resolution may be limited to 1080p on GeForce Now, running the game at 60fps with enhanced physics, tessellation and stunning real-time ray traced global illumination is an altogether different, preferable experience. The fact that I had instant access to the game without having to buy it again (as I owned it already on PC) is an obvious advantage, as is the fact that Epic Game Store cloud saves automatically kicked in, meaning I could pick up right where I left off.

Nvidia has officially launched its GeForce Now cloud gaming platform out of beta, opening up cloud gaming support across PC, Mac, Android, and TV (via Nvidia Shield) via existing PC game storefronts.

The service is split into two tiers: a free edition, and a paid founders edition. The founders edition costs $4.99 per month, and offers priority access to servers, play sessions up to six hours long, and access to games with ray tracing supported. Free users may have to wait in queues to access servers and will be capped at sessions one hour long, though there's no limit to how many times a user can queue in any period. Both plans support streaming at 1080p and 60fps. As it's a streaming service, all games are intended to function at these levels regardless of the power of the user's device.

Rather than offering its own library, GeForce Now allows users to add games from their existing libraries across multiple storefronts including Steam. At launch, it supports over 30 free-to-play games as well as 1,000 more titles available through single-session installs on Steam.

NVIDIA GeForce NOW

Play Your Games Anywhere.

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Technically its not unlimited access as its capped to 6 hour sessions.

This is a lot more attractive than Stadia at least.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Cool. I'll pay for a month or two to try it. Might be great for lunch breaks at work.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's a shame they couldn't get their 144Hz mode running on all games.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
For $5 a month I think it's a good deal. Looking forward to signing up and comparing it to Stadia and Xcloud.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
The beta worked really well. The only game that didn't work well was GTA V. The driving was way off

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to give this a whirl at $5 a month. Being able to use the games you already own is killer, you'll really be able to compare like with like.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When they say 'free streaming access to your PC library' they just mean the 90 day free trial, right? There's no free tier?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Ah shit, I guess the beta client is now canned? I only got to poke around No Man's Sky for about 5 minutes! I was pretty impressed. Possibly impressed enough to consider poking around that Nvidia TV stick & a controller if this is going to do quite well.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Got into the Beta access awhile back and played a bunch of CS:GO on it with my work laptop.

It actually worked really well, of course not as good as local but my shot was still on and everything, probably the most promising streaming service next to XCloud.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
I am playing wolfenstein 2: the new colossus on it and it works pretty well.

The main downside is that the quality is like plaing through a youtube video. But at least you can choose the graphics quality unlike stadia.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So £/$4.99 a month is just for the first 12 months. Wonder what it'll settle at after the Founders period is up. £9.99?

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely going to check this out. Wish there was an easier way to play on my TV rather than having an Nvidia shield.

Oct 27, 2017
man and there's a 90 day free trial when you sign up for Founder's Access. This feels like a hell of a deal. @_@

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm curious if this means Valve's announcement of Steam Cloud Gaming is near, since GeForce Now will be one of the alternative(?) options.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Will give it a go. I've been doing 'private' PC game streaming on my own aws/azure instances for a while with Steam, but this would be by far cheaper.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'm intrigued....Google & Stadia should be on notice if they weren't already (I'm still a little peeved that they cancelled my order twice...)

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Website for it very broken right now, lol. Does this support iOS at all?

First provider to let me stream games to my iPad with a paired BT controller gets the prize.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's that fighting game again, the one with the bouncy tits and electric stages, lots of ninjas and shit?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Website for it very broken right now, lol. Does this support iOS at all?

First provider to let me stream games to my iPad with a paired BT controller gets the prize.

It is tricky with Apple because they won't allow any purchases or stores in apps unless they get their standard 30% cut. That is why you don't see Cloud Services there.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's just the website glitching out (because it certainly seems to be having a lot of issues), but it's telling me it's not available in my region (Europe).

Which makes no sense, because the beta was, and it worked about as well as you'd expect from game streaming. And the server status page still lists European servers.

Oct 25, 2017
Site is down right now, loading anything but the front page doesn't work - tried getting into the supported games list. So don't hurry right now.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
okay it approved my account how the hell do i use it? is there a client?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If an app shows up on my LG C9, I'll bite. As it stands, I don't really have a way to make this easily playable considering I have all Apple Products

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Sooo the description always kind of confused me. Does this simply mean I can play my steam games on phone or iPad? Is there an ipad app? Do I need to own the games I play or is it a Netflix style library? Thanks

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo the description always kind of confused me. Does this simply mean I can play my steam games on phone or iPad? Is there an ipad app? Do I need to own the games I play or is it a Netflix style library? Thanks

It streams games you already own on PC storefronts like Steam/EGS/Battle.net etc. You know to own a game to be able to stream it with Geforce NOW. It'll ask you to login to Steam etc to verify that you own the game.

There is currently no iOS support.