• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
They have an insanely good deal currently with the paid subscription (excluding the obvious free tier).
So good it's not sustainable I suspect and it's very likely an introductionary price that will lead down the road to them directly selling games (taking 30% royality) as well as a price hike past the first year or so.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
I really see no reason for publishers to not partner up with Nvidia. Blizzard in fact get 100% revenue of every game sold because they are using their own launcher.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
There'll be a million more once 2077 comes out and people aren't happy with their gpu performance.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Service is pretty good even the free version is alright if you just want to play an hour session of a single player game.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I am very impressed with this service. My results vary - sometimes it is a bit choppy, sometimes it is indistinguishable from running the game locally, but on average it is much better than expected. I am definitely buying Cyberpunk on PC to play it on Now. The only disappointment comes from the way the publishers reacted. I still don't understand how are they getting away with blocking me from playing my own games on someone else's computer.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For context, it's been estimated that the Stadia app (a prerequisite for accessing Stadia) was downloadloaded 550,000 times in the first two months it was available for. Admittedly, we are comparing what is currently a paid product vs a service that has a free option, but it's interesting to see Nvidia report double the sign-ups vs Stadia in a week.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They have an insanely good deal currently with the paid subscription (excluding the obvious free tier).
So good it's not sustainable I suspect and it's very likely an introductionary price that will lead down the road to them directly selling games (taking 30% royality) as well as a price hike past the first year or so.
I doubt they'll sell the games more likely they'll hike up the subscription to at least $10 and out further limitations on the free service.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
For context, it's been estimated that the Stadia app (a prerequisite for accessing Stadia) was downloadloaded 550,000 times in the first two months it was available for. Admittedly, we are comparing what is currently a paid product vs a service that has a free option, but it's interesting to see Nvidia report double the sign-ups vs Stadia in a week.
Also Geforce Now is available in way more countries then Stadia.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia have put in a lot of work and for the people involved I hope it pans out for them, and they can do some deals with the publishers. If they can present themselves as genuinely content-agnostic (they dont have first party titles "competing" with COD, Fortnite etc) then they could gain some traction in the online space, and no-porting required.

It all depends if/how they can negotiate a revenue sharing deal with the publishers.

From the publisher angle if a third party has done a bunch of work which means people will play your game more, and more = more microtransactions, then it's a good thing. You just want a slice of the money being made from it as it's "your" content thats running through the service.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Nvidia have put in a lot of work and for the people involved I hope it pans out for them, and they can do some deals with the publishers. If they can present themselves as genuinely content-agnostic (they dont have first party titles "competing" with COD, Fortnite etc) then they could gain some traction in the online space, and no-porting required.

It all depends if/how they can negotiate a revenue sharing deal with the publishers.

From the publisher angle if a third party has done a bunch of work which means people will play your game more, and more = more microtransactions, then it's a good thing. You just want a slice of the money being made from it as it's "your" content thats running through the service.

Do publishers really need more revenue? You can't play their games if you don't buy them first.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any "catch" with the free plan? Besides the 1 hour of game time per session + not get front of the queue.

Before reading the OP's link I for some strange reason believed that the free plan could only last the first 90 days, but apparently this isn't the case.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any "catch" with the free plan? Besides the 1 hour of game time per session + not get front of the queue.

Before reading the OP's link I for some strange reason believed that the free plan could only last the first 90 days, but apparently this isn't the case.
So far no you go back into a game after the session is over and the server remembers your saves natively as long as you don't login from somewhere else.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Do publishers really need more revenue? You can't play their games if you don't buy them first.
They think they do - for Nvidia that's all that matters.

I'm not a big fan of "gamers rise up!" moments because they're too often laced with hatred and shitty behaviour...but I guess players could raise a big issue about not being able to play "their" games the way they want...it might work but i can't see it getting big enough to make multiple publishers give in and let Nivdia do it.

Not for you personally but in general it's worth reminding people that they never buy a game...they licence the right to use it, using certain physical or digital copies of the software on certain hardware specifications.70s/80s/90s games were all licences to use, tied to the physical disc.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone could/can download Stadia app and given the numbers of Destiny players weeks following launch, this number of app downloads doesn't reflect at all the real number of Stadia players (majority probably just download to see the app)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
GeForce Now? More like GeForce Not Yet.

I've been thinking of using this as a stop-gap solution until the next gen Nvidia cards arrive. Might do a 2nd play-through of Doom Eternal on this service to see the ray tracing effects.

Stratton recently said work on implementing ray tracing was halted in the early stages and won't resume until after the game ships, so odds are the first wave of RTX 30 cards will hit before the ray tracing update. Probably by a matter of months, even, assuming Nvidia is aiming for a Q2 launch.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I really see no reason for publishers to not partner up with Nvidia. Blizzard in fact get 100% revenue of every game sold because they are using their own launcher.

Other than greed I don't see any other reason. Nvidia is practically giving away free or cheap PCs so more gamers can play your games, don't see how that will have any other effect than more people being able to buy and play games. I personally have a gaming PC with an RX 580 but I'm playing games with Ray tracing support on GeForce Now, because I feel I have a better experience there. I even bought like 4 games with Ray tracing support just because I was now able to take advantage of it, without spending hundreds of dollars on a compatible GPU.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Publishers are funny. Trough GeForce Now they are literally making their games avaliable to an entire new audience. People who probably wouldn't be able to play their games because they couldn't afford a gaming PC. But nope, they rather have a piece of Nvidia's pie rather than giving more people access to their games. Hilarious.