• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder how I could make NV approach projector manufacturers for making a gaming-type DLP projector.

DLP is a pretty damn amazing technology for gaming in principle, and it has the potential (physically) to easily run at 120 Hz or more. And it wouldn't even be very expensive to build. But no one seems interested in creating that kind of projector for consumer use.

(of course, G-sync or any VRR is a no-go, so that's a bit of a branding issue)

Edit: Here are the RTINGs tests, they are currently on Week 16 and the OLED has some gnarly burn in
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled
Yeah, I also saw those tests recently and they are a bit of a bummer. I'm a huge fan of OLED, but my monitor is still just as much (or more) of a productivity device as it is a gaming device, so that's just not suitable.

Dec 3, 2017
LG demonstrated 120fps 4K Oleds in 2016, les hope they become a thing in the next 2-3 years.

add HDMI2.1 VRR to it and the TV is (almost) perfected.

It's not even close. You need around 1,000hz before you eliminate motion blur completely without some form of flickering, and flickering sucks. We're probably two decades away from a perfect 2D display.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched the Linus video and I'm seriously impressed. VA panel and local dimming are the right choice. There's no way that this is going to be in my price range any time soon but the mere fact that someone is making a gaming focused TV without compromise is the first step to them being available at a decent price.

I'm hoping it makes the mainstream TV manufactures take notice, so that variable high refresh rate and low input latency become available in more TVs.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That 16ish zone local dimming is basically useless when it's supposed to be a monitor for pc with a tiny bright white mouse cursor... I mean, that was shockingly awful looking. May as well just turn it off.

Local dimming while doing anything other than gaming or watching movies should be turned off I'd think.
The blooming/haloing should be really distracting outside of those two usages.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how I could make NV approach projector manufacturers for making a gaming-type DLP projector.

DLP is a pretty damn amazing technology for gaming in principle, and it has the potential (physically) to easily run at 120 Hz or more. And it wouldn't even be very expensive to build. But no one seems interested in creating that kind of projector for consumer use.
There are companies making gaming-focused projectors. I believe Optoma have some 120Hz native models (though their site was useless for information last I checked) and Acer have "Predator" branded projectors.

That said, I don't know that I'd want a DLP gaming display.
It's true that the micromirrors have very fast switching times and they're immune to burn-in, but by their very nature, DLP are 1-bit displays (just like Plasma TVs).
Most DLP projectors are 1-bit sequential-color displays too, as 3-chip projectors are extremely expensive - and you don't want a 3-chip projector for gaming or use as a giant monitor due to convergence errors.
So you have a very noisy (dithered) image, and rainbow artifacts if you track fast motion with your eyes.

And worse, the higher the refresh rate, the lower the bit-depth of the image.
People rated Pioneer's 'Kuro' Plasmas very highly for their image quality - which I have always disagreed with - but as soon as you moved above 60Hz the image quality suffered even worse. 72/75Hz showed noticeable posterization and ugly tones near black, and 100Hz had very poor image quality.
They ran at 1680Hz with a 60Hz output, meaning that they used 28 sub-fields per frame. At 100Hz, that drops to only 16 sub-fields, meaning that gradation was severely compromised - and that's assuming you didn't have any of the power saving modes enabled, which dropped those numbers even lower.

Same thing with DLP. There are customized DLP projectors made to run at 1440Hz for vision research work for example, but they're only 1-bit monochrome at this rate. If we extrapolate that out to working with color (1-bit at 480Hz) it would mean dropping below 8-bit at 120Hz.
And that's ignoring all the other issues with projection vs direct-view displays.

Of course the one thing that projection has going for it - and it cannot be understated - is the sheer size of the image.
I'm seriously considering a 77" OLED once there are 120Hz VRR models, but it's far more expensive and pales in comparison to my old ~10ft projector setup.
The thing with projection is that I know what it takes to get the absolute best image quality - and I've gone to extreme lengths before to completely black out the room and eliminate reflections - but I don't want to do that again, and I don't always want to be sitting in a dark room.
It's not even close. You need around 1,000hz before you eliminate motion blur completely without some form of flickering, and flickering sucks. We're probably two decades away from a perfect 2D display.
I'd rather have the option to have the displays flicker, at least until this is a solved problem.
With a CRT, I don't mind flickering at all, at any refresh rate. The motion handling makes up for it.
PWM-driven flicker on the other hand, I cannot tolerate at all.

Daisya

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My 43 inch seems great to me, I could see using a 50 inch but I doubt I could handle bigger than that.