• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
This is what I've been hoping for awhile, but not this big. I use a 50in 4k TV as my monitor at the end of a desk and it works great, but 65 is just too big

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OLED OR BUST

I can probably afford 5" of it.

85c.gif

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You are looking at it from wrong angle.
First find those toptier 1440p IPS 144-164hz 27" screens to see how much those are THEN imagine adding HDR, 4K, 65" and all that on top of it.
Actually you can just check Asus PG27UQ and add the cost of 65" and nvidia shield on top of that.
Asus PG27UQ is priced at 2000$

Also TV:s are nothing like monitors.

TVs offer faaaar more value for money.

Monitor prices are straight up awful and the PG27UQ is a perfect example of that.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, there is no official price for the PG27UQ. (And that's scary) I'm hoping they finally announce a price and availability of those monitors at CES.

Well I dunno how official it is if Asus guy says its 2000$.

TVs offer faaaar more value for money.

Monitor prices are straight up awful and the PG27UQ is a perfect example of that.

It depends what you want, if you want TV then TV is better.
If you want to game on good monitor then you get monitor.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is going to expensive AF right? Has Nvidia ever developed a TV before? Or did they subcontract to another company to create this. What kind of quality can we expect?

I would be interested if it was oled but probably too rich for my blood.

I'm guessing it's not a penny under $5,000, unless they subcontract TCL to build this. If so then i would expect $1,500 for the tv and $1,000 for the Nvidia branding so a total of $2,500.

Edit: AUO Fuggetaboutit

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Should've made a deal with Nintendo to include a Switch gamecard slot and compatibility but maybe Nvidia doesn't want another competitive digital storefront on Shield devices.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It depends what you want, if you want TV then TV is better.
If you want to game on good monitor then you get monitor.

The point I was making is that gaming monitors are overpriced for what they offer.
The premium you have to pay for high refresh rate+G-Sync is crazy to me
I mean the PG279Q, a 27" 165Hz/GSync IPS monitor with notorious QC issues (and an 8bit panel and obviously no HDR, local-dimming, WCG...), is $750...

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The point I was making is that gaming monitors are overpriced for what they offer.
I mean the PG279Q, a 27" 165Hz/GSync IPS monitor with notorious QC issues (and an 8bit panel and obviously no HDR, local-dimming, WCG...), is $750...

Yes its true it costs but TV:s dont offer high refresh or low input lag, I guess thats what costs.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Ultimately, that's a question of how much you value maximum refresh rate / input lag / VRR support.

Also, monitors and TVs aren't really direct replacements for each other. The use case differences imply different design tradeoffs. And of course, the mid-level TV market is many times larger than the enthusiast monitor market.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Some vid back when they announced it, I cant try to find it fast but no promises.

Edit: found it (at 5min mark if it doesnt automatically start from there)

Wow thanks for that. I've never actually seen that before. A blanket price of $2000 in "all territories" seems quite odd. Not sure how official that price statement was but thats probably the only statement they've had on price. This was also before the monitors were delayed in manufacturing so it makes you wonder if the price was effected in anyway.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you integrate an Nvidia Shield instead of just having the powerful chip it uses?

Or is Nvidia Shield referring to software?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Why the FUCK is this 65"? Who the fuck has a PC gaming setup that can accommodate something that large and to be able to sit far enough away?

Stupid.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people having such a hard time understanding that this is just a TV? Is the picture really THAT much of a mindfuck that you can't extrapolate that at 65" this is intended as a living room/couch distance display? Jesus fuck.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
65" low latency 1000nit 4K HDR display with DCI-P3. Did someone crawl into my head? what I really want to know is how much of Rec 2020 it covers and if it's Dolby Vision compatible. would be even better as an OLED but this thing is going to be pricey. would be amazing to see it at $3k but it'll probably be closer to $5K

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want it. I wanted a 65" 4k TV before this, but making this a monitor is perfect. I watch most content on my PC anyways. Alas, I know this will probably be out of my price range. $3500 or under and I will start saving.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Everyone who has their PC connected to a (large) TV?

I don't think it's that unusual.

Yeah and this isn't a TV. And even those people you mention are a very small subset who typically have a medium-range PC which they share with a console. People with gaming PCs that can actually use a display like this, pushing 4k and high FPS, do not play/use their computer from a couch.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah and this isn't a TV. And even those people you mention are a very small subset who typically have a medium-range PC which they share with a console. People with gaming PCs that can actually use a display like this, pushing 4k and high FPS, do not play/use their computer from a couch.
Erm, how do you know all this? Like that there are no people who use a high-end gaming PC from a couch?
(Incidentally, I know for a fact that this is not the case)

Of course it's not a mainstream device, but that doesn't mean that no one wants it or has a use for it.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Why the FUCK is this 65"? Who the fuck has a PC gaming setup that can accommodate something that large and to be able to sit far enough away?

Stupid.
I'd buy this over a TV honestly if it was the same price as a tv and use it as...a TV. Crazy I know but TV's are not a good value for what you pay. It's like a prebuilt PC with things you cant uninstall. Yay for having settings that anyone with eyesight will turn off, junk video and streaming apps that I already get through every other piece of technology in my house and low refresh rate/high input lag? My friends remote has a motion tracker in it and he has to point it at the screen, it's like they thought "how do we combine computers and tablets and make them harder to use, a TV!".

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

Stupid.

Uhm, i would like this monitor if the price is right to replace my TV. You see, my gaming PC, which was once a huge tower like we typically think of when we talk about PC gaming is now a mini-ITX build in a node 202 case, which is a tad bigger than a console but fits beautifully in my home entertainment center and plugged on the TV.

Couch gaming..
Something like Gsync and low lag for TV gaming is something very desirable.

Does that make me stupid?

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Mmm... HDMI 2.1 is the way to go, even without it seems like Samsung is presenting VRR TVs at CES.

So yeah, Nvidia has a chance this year, but next one all the good TVs will be amazing for gaming.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at some point it's like who gives a shit. This is going to be insanely expensive for something that is undoubtedly better but it's not like you're replacing crt tech. it's just hard to get excited about stuff like this when even a bad lcd is pretty good these days.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Erm, how do you know all this? Like that there are no people who use a high-end gaming PC from a couch?
(Incidentally, I know for a fact that this is not the case)

There are people with every kind of setup; doesn't make this a good idea.

I mean you're telling me ASUS, Acer, etc. are trying to tap into the "has a ridiculous gaming PC hooked up to a huge TV" market?

A bit big for use at a computer desk but thats nice.

Nah man. They're going after all the people who have a 10' wide computer desk. You know all those 10' wide computer desks.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

I mean you're telling me ASUS, Acer, etc. are trying to tap into the "has a ridiculous gaming PC hooked up to a huge TV" market?
Yes, otherwise they wouldn't build this kind of display.

I assume that, just like for high-end G-sync monitors, the numbers don't need to be huge for it to be a profitable venture.

So you're going to replace your 65" TV with a 65" PC gaming monitor?
Why not? I think the kind of people interested in something like this are rarely the ones who use the built-in tuner of their TV.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017

Nah man. They're going after all the people who have a 10' wide computer desk. You know all those 10' wide computer desks.

Eh, I have my PC connected to my 65" OLED display, and I know plenty of people that do something similar. Crazy notion, right?