• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is pretty much perfect for people with setups like mine! That's a 55inch 4k Sharp i'm using as a monitor for now but in a few years when the cost of these drop a bit (assuming they are $2k+ at launch) it'll be great for me! Its not as jarring as it seems to have a big display 4-5 feet away from you.

As a side note I am 6'5 so i don't sit right up on my desk i have fairly long arms so i'm usually at least 4 foot away and for me that's plenty comfortable. But i can see where that's overkill for some or grossly impractical so its a niche thing for sure.

26754930_950365608452606_2024505137_n.jpg

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, i dunno. Im pretty happy with my OLED. This will probably cost 2-3 times as much as well.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
This thing looks amazing. I can imagine the price being around the cost of a used car.

Will add to my amazon wish list, and pine over it from time to time.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
nvidia would be wise not to price this anywhere near high end tvs that will have much better picture quality

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Not impressed at all.

The haloing is fucking horrible in Linus video.

Samsung just showed off their 4000 Nit LCD Display that is not only 8K but supports VRR, but also has 15ms input delay, over 1000 zones of local dimming. I'd hope Nvidia is not dumb enough to overprice this 2017 era tech, but knowing them they will.

2019 lineup of TV's that support HDMI 2.1 will pretty much make these even worse proposition.

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
If they get an OLED on one of these I will be all over it. My current OLED has 1080@120 and it's awesome.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think the current LG oleds are better. I would just wait for 2019 oleds with HF and hdmi 2.1.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
That 16ish zone local dimming is basically useless when it's supposed to be a monitor for pc with a tiny bright white mouse cursor... I mean, that was shockingly awful looking. May as well just turn it off.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why the FUCK is this 65"? Who the fuck has a PC gaming setup that can accommodate something that large and to be able to sit far enough away?

Stupid.
I don't think you should assume that pc gamers never use large televisions, especially if that assumption is based on the notion that pc gamers only ever play games at their desks. I use my current television in my living room with PCs regularly, and I'm excited by the prospect of a large native 120hz TV with gsync. It will enable me to run AAA games at very high settings on my television without having to worry about frame drops and the resultant stutter. And it will enable me to enjoy all of my other games in 4K at native 120hz, on my television. I'd love to emulate BoTW on that setup - without upgrading my computer, I'm just shy of 60fps, but that won't matter with this television.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I don't think you should assume that pc gamers never use large televisions, especially if that assumption is based on the notion that pc gamers only ever play games at their desks. I use my current television in my living room with PCs regularly, and I'm excited by the prospect of a large native 120hz TV with gsync. It will enable me to run AAA games at very high settings on my television without having to worry about frame drops and the resultant stutter. And it will enable me to enjoy all of my other games in 4K at native 120hz, on my television. I'd love to emulate BoTW on that setup - without upgrading my computer, I'm just shy of 60fps, but that won't matter with this television.

Of course I'm not assuming pc gamers never use large televisions. I don't think I should I have to qualify that.

It's just a small base. The number of people who have a PC that can drive 4K and near 120fps is even smaller. The number of people willing to swap a TV for this even smaller.

Check the nVidia image on the sign up page - they have a horribly undersized rendition of it sitting on a desk. If the argument is, "At worst it's bad marketing" then, ok, if I see nVidia marketing about how great it is to replace your huge TV with it and how perfect it is for living room gaming, I'll concede. But I bet I won't see any of that.

Just seems like an expensive product that very few people will want, and not in the normal, "It's for the high end market" way, but in the "this is a dumb product" way.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

This looks terrible, like it's a 6-bit panel, or one that drops to 6-bit color at 120Hz to speed things up. It has that typical red/yellow posterization/banding that you see in dark tones on low-quality displays, and your typical VA panel ghosting.
low-bit-posterization0nj5q.jpg

I'll wait another year for 120Hz VRR OLEDs, and consider switching GPUs to AMD if NVIDIA refuse to support HDMI 2.1 VRR.
AMD have already announced that they will be adding support for HDMI 2.1 VRR to Radeon RX products via a driver update.
Local dimming introduces input lag. It would be nice if people who aren't THAT hardcore about input lag could have a real local dimming option which made the lag 20 ms instead of 10 ms or something. I mean for watching Blu-rays and stuff, lag doesn't matter at all so having the option at least for that would be nice.
It doesn't have to. In Game Mode, local dimming runs about a frame behind the LCD panel on my Sony TV - and that's a 7 year-old TV.
That's not quite as bad as it sounds, as Game Mode also goes into a reduced contrast mode which never actually shuts the backlight zones off, for that reason.
So there's no difference in latency with local dimming on or off, but image quality is somewhat compromised compared to Theater Mode.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would I want a 65" screen that I sit 2-3 feet from? That seems beyond idiotic.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Its going to cost alot, but i dont know why it should?

The only difference is 60 extra hertz, and G-sync modular thats like 200bucks extra usually.

But for whatever reason, its going to cost more than current high end OLED TVs which makes no sense.

Its not OLED, its has no TV tuner, but it'll cost way more anyways.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would I want a 65" screen that I sit 2-3 feet from? That seems beyond idiotic.
As someone that's used televisions as monitors for extended periods of time before, I'd say that 40–46" is about the ideal size.
At 46" it is comfortable to use at 100% scale from 2-3ft away, and that's almost a perfect 96 DPI.
Above 46" I have to sit further back for it to be comfortable - which also means increasing the Windows display scaling and reducing the available workspace. I can't imagine what 65" must be like. 55" was already far too big.
I think I still prefer sitting closer to a smaller display though, and Ultrawide rather than 16:9.
Display height gets uncomfortable far sooner than display width does for me. I'd much rather see a high refresh rate version of the new 34" 5120x2160 panel from LG than try to use this at a desk.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that's used televisions as monitors for extended periods of time before, I'd say that 40–46" is about the ideal size.
At 46" it is comfortable to use at 100% scale from 2-3ft away, and that's almost a perfect 96 DPI.
Above 46" I have to sit further back for it to be comfortable - which also means increasing the Windows display scaling and reducing the available workspace. I can't imagine what 65" must be like. 55" was already far too big.
I think I still prefer sitting closer to a smaller display though, and Ultrawide rather than 16:9.
Display height gets uncomfortable far sooner than display width does for me. I'd much rather see a high refresh rate version of the new 34" 5120x2160 panel from LG than try to use this at a desk.

That's just seems crazy to me. I have a 23" monitor now and I can't imagine wanting more than maybe a 27" before I'd having to move my head around to take it all in. Granted, I've never used a monitor that large for any extended period of time, and to each their own of course. It just seems way too large to me.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna wait and see what Samsung does with it's MicroLED tech. Supposed to be their answer to OLED, fully emissive display but it does not use organic compounds so no burn-in / image retention issues, and supposedly brighter than OLEDs.

Would love to come back to Samsung because while I absolutely love my LG B6 OLED for the display itself, LG software and their sloppy firmware updates have kinda turned me off from buying more of their TVs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna wait and see what Samsung does with it's MicroLED tech. Supposed to be their answer to OLED, fully emissive display but it does not use organic compounds so no burn-in / image retention issues, and supposedly brighter than OLEDs.

Would love to come back to Samsung because while I absolutely love my LG B6 OLED for the display itself, LG software and their sloppy firmware updates have kinda turned me off from buying more of their TVs.
µLED is years away. You aren't going to see an affordable consumer display using that tech any time soon.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
µLED is years away. You aren't going to see an affordable consumer display using that tech any time soon.

Bummer.

Guess my next TV will be Sony's refresh of the A1E OLED.

Would love to see a Gsync OLED monitor but I don't see it happening with the burn-in and image retention issues.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
After reading more and watching Linus' video I'm confused and unimpressed. Who's this for? I cannot see this appealing to anybody but a niche of a niche of PC gamers, especially if it ends up costing more than $2500. It reminds me of this

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer.

Guess my next TV will be Sony's refresh of the A1E OLED.

Would love to see a Gsync OLED monitor but I don't see it happening with the burn-in and image retention issues.
Those "issues" of which you speak are exaggerated and overstated, generally speaking, as image burn in issues on most current sets are a non issue as the sets run an anti burn in protocol whenever the TV is in a low power state.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much perfect for people with setups like mine! That's a 55inch 4k Sharp i'm using as a monitor for now but in a few years when the cost of these drop a bit (assuming they are $2k+ at launch) it'll be great for me! Its not as jarring as it seems to have a big display 4-5 feet away from you.

As a side note I am 6'5 so i don't sit right up on my desk i have fairly long arms so i'm usually at least 4 foot away and for me that's plenty comfortable. But i can see where that's overkill for some or grossly impractical so its a niche thing for sure.

26754930_950365608452606_2024505137_n.jpg

lol

try closer to $4000 - $5000

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those "issues" of which you speak are exaggerated and overstated, generally speaking, as image burn in issues on most current sets are a non issue as the sets run an anti burn in protocol whenever the TV is in a low power state.

I understand that, I own a 55" B6 OLED.

But I use it as a TV. Using it as a monitor is a very different game. There are going to be static elements on the desktop that the anti burn in protocol cannot fully combat.

RTINGS have been doing extensive OLED burn-in tests and the sets are starting to exhibit permanent looking burn in on the last update I checked.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of course I'm not assuming pc gamers never use large televisions. I don't think I should I have to qualify that.

It's just a small base. The number of people who have a PC that can drive 4K and near 120fps is even smaller. The number of people willing to swap a TV for this even smaller.

Check the nVidia image on the sign up page - they have a horribly undersized rendition of it sitting on a desk. If the argument is, "At worst it's bad marketing" then, ok, if I see nVidia marketing about how great it is to replace your huge TV with it and how perfect it is for living room gaming, I'll concede. But I bet I won't see any of that.

Just seems like an expensive product that very few people will want, and not in the normal, "It's for the high end market" way, but in the "this is a dumb product" way.
I do understand somewhat where you're coming from. However, I think you're underselling the value of this TV's feature suite, by assuming that the only people who can take advantage of it are those who own rigs capable of driving 4K and 120fps in all games.

gsync, for example, is a feature which enables frames to display as soon as they're rendered, as opposed to in line with a strict refresh rate. This feature, formerly exclusive to computer monitors, eliminates vertical tearing entirely and makes it so that uneven framerates and framerates that aren't locked appear smooth. And that enables PC gamers several interesting choices. My computer isn't top of the line, and so I often find myself compromising settings in favor of a locked and smooth framerate on my standard monitors and televisions, when I'm playing high-spec games. That's because my monitor, and TVs in general, operate at fixed refresh rates, and so frames display at fixed intervals. gsync screens display frames as soon as they're rendered, so they appear far smoother in motion. This enables the user more freedom to enhance settings and resolution, without having to consider fluctiations (which would thereby have them settling at lower settings in favor of a consistent framerate across the whole game).

And so, if I owned, say, a 4K 120hz gsync monitor, I would have more freedom across the board. I could boost my settings in a high-spec PC game like GTA V, and run it at 4K with very high settings, without having to compromise for the sake of smoothness and input response time. I could eliminate the judder in my BoTW resultant from my computer running the game at just short of 60fps. In addition, I could play many of the games I own and play that aren't as high-spec - like Divinity OS 2, Civilization, Prey, Tabletop Simulator, Gang Beasts, Brawlout, Skyrim, ArmA, Geometry Wars 3, Far Cry 4, you name it - at or near 4K and 120fps (or 110fps, or 102 fps, or an uneven 90fps, thanks to gsync). It's a very popular feature in contemporary monitors for that reason - and until now, it's been exclusive to computer monitors.

I, like many other PC gamers, do enjoy playing games on my TV - whether they be particular single player games, or local multiplayer games. However, TVs generally aren't built for gaming specifically like gaming monitors are. And so PC gamers are typically left to compromise when the choice is made. Those compromises can include noticeable input latency, the absence of gsync, extraneous features which negatively impact image quality and response time, the absence of true 120hz (keeping users at locked 60 or 30fps max) and so forth. This TV seems to bear a competent enough feature-set to compete with other contemporary HDR TVs, and enables PC gamers more choice with far fewer compromises. On this TV, I'll be able to play Breath of the Wild at 4K and 58fps, without experiencing the constant and noticeable judder that comes with playing at that framerate on my current monitor and television. I'll be able to play Prey from my couch at 2660p, at framerates much higher and smoother than on my other screens. I'll be able to play Street Fighter with my friends with no input latency, regardless of whether the framerate is locked or unlocked. I'll be able to play high-spec games at ultra settings and high resolutions at framerates short of 60fps without noticing. On a TV. It's pretty compelling for me, and my computer isn't even top of the line - I've got a 970 and a 4790k.

I'm not saying that this TV will be a profound success, or anything. I'm just saying that personally, I think that its features make it unique enough among TVs of its kind that it will bear compelling value to a number of potential owners. Just as similar computer monitors bear compelling value to a number of owners compared to standard monitors, for the same reasons, but with the benefit that this is the only large TV on the market that can hang with those monitors on a lot of levels. Time will tell, though. I already want one to replace my living room TV, lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's a huge witch. Also, protoype. I remember the Asus 27 4k144hz panel being a prototype... at Computex in June 2016. We still don't have that m'fo, and its supposed to cost $2500. This looks like it'll be more than double in cost. Not impressed with the dimming performance at all, reminds me of the LG 47LX9500 - piss poor.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that, I own a 55" B6 OLED.

But I use it as a TV. Using it as a monitor is a very different game. There are going to be static elements on the desktop that the anti burn in protocol cannot fully combat.

RTINGS have been doing extensive OLED burn-in tests and the sets are starting to exhibit permanent looking burn in on the last update I checked.
My apologies, I was unaware that any sets had begun to exhibit a notable amount of burn in; that's extremely disappointing, but then I suppose there are few people testing these displays as computer devices. That certainly makes the use of an OLED a bit less attractive to me, which is a real shame as I was holding out on my next TV upgrade specifically for an OLED. I suppose I could just resolve to only utilize the set as a second monitor that is meant purely for gaming so as to avoid the burn in of static objects, but it's a shame that such a resolution must be made in the first place.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My apologies, I was unaware that any sets had begun to exhibit a notable amount of burn in; that's extremely disappointing, but then I suppose there are few people testing these displays as computer devices. That certainly makes the use of an OLED a bit less attractive to me, which is a real shame as I was holding out on my next TV upgrade specifically for an OLED. I suppose I could just resolve to only utilize the set as a second monitor that is meant purely for gaming so as to avoid the burn in of static objects, but it's a shame that such a resolution must be made in the first place.

Yeah I mean if you are using it purely as a TV or a gaming monitor that won't have any static elements on it, I highly, highly recommend it because the picture quality is astonishing and the response time is great.

And by static elements I mean stuff like a computer desktop that will be on and unchanged for hours and hours on end. I have not had the slightest hint of burn in or image retention from any HUD elements of the games I play or anything like that. I use it for 50/50 watching movies / TV on Netflix and then gaming. It's fantastic tech. If LG weren't so sloppy with their firmware updates (they released one that will ruin perfect black level on B6 OLEDs if it's installed), I would probably stick with them for my next OLED too.

Edit: Here are the RTINGs tests, they are currently on Week 16 and the OLED has some gnarly burn in
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Dec 3, 2017
This monitor would be so ridiculously perfect for a MAME setup with a 4 player+ control panel. Wow.

Hats off to Nvidia. They kicked everyone's ass and got them going on variable refresh, and now they're doing this. It's about time someone stepped up to the plate and announced a monitor that isn't BORING.

Oct 27, 2017
Linus predicted $5K+ in his video for what it's worth. I am expecting an exorbitant price, anyone who isn't might be in for a disappointment.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think people might be surprised by the price.
G-Sync monitors are mostly made expensive by that extra $200 from the G-Sync module. That's a significant cost when you add it to a $300 monitor.
I don't see anything here which should make it significantly more expensive than something like a mid-range 65" Samsung display.
The price of displays does not scale linearly with size (thankfully). But there could be a significant "gamer" tax, and since it's being positioned as a "monitor" rather than a television, that will surely drive the price up.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, i dont care how much this costs, im buying it.
I wish I had the money to say that lol.
Yeah I mean if you are using it purely as a TV or a gaming monitor that won't have any static elements on it, I highly, highly recommend it because the picture quality is astonishing and the response time is great.

And by static elements I mean stuff like a computer desktop that will be on and unchanged for hours and hours on end. I have not had the slightest hint of burn in or image retention from any HUD elements of the games I play or anything like that. I use it for 50/50 watching movies / TV on Netflix and then gaming. It's fantastic tech. If LG weren't so sloppy with their firmware updates (they released one that will ruin perfect black level on B6 OLEDs if it's installed), I would probably stick with them for my next OLED too.

Edit: Here are the RTINGs tests, they are currently on Week 16 and the OLED has some gnarly burn in
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Yeah those are some pretty comprehensive tests. Ya know, that being said, It occurs to me that I have my PC set to where all monitors go black in five minutes if there isn't any detected input or application running, and that's been serving me well for years as I tend to only utilize my PC for work, school, e-mail, gaming, and youtube, which means both my TV and my monitor are never on my desktop background for more than five minutes at a time really; so, with that type of behavior, I imagine I'd never see any burn in with an OLED. So you like it? I've never even seen one in person yet, but I'm so excited to finally see an HDR OLED that I'm probably just gonna buy either a Sony or LG OLED within the next year when the price is right just so I can see what everyone's raving about lol.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, that FALD is a huge turn off for me. Imagine playing horror games and games that have dark areas (basically any open world game with day/night cycles, etc) that blooming is going to get REALLY annoying really quickly and make everything look like an eyesore.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Won't these things be rendered obsolete once HDMI 2.1 drops? It'll be another year, but I really can't imagine anyone going for one of these with OLED displays from Sony, LG and others with HDMI 2.1 features (VRR, ALLM, QFT, eARC, 4K@120hz+HDR) surely being in the cards for 2019. These should look especially ridiculous if Volta (or whatever Nvidia's 2018 GPUs will be called) ends up supporting 2.1 HDMI.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, who cares about size. I'm far more interested in a 'black level' revolution. It's time that PC monitors started displaying true blacks.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a display. You can put it where you want. Why people complain about the size? Will be different sizes. Will be diffrent uses for different people.