• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I purchased the Asus PG27UQ monitor a few days ago to pair with my 2080Ti. Been using it the past few days with my 1060 (lol) and enhanced consoles. The HDR works well. Really bright. I know the videocardz benches should be taken lightly, but I'm pretty hyped that this is looking to be a full fledge 4k card, with 60fps in most games. Somebody mentioned 4:4:4 HDR in the thread. With Displayport on this monitor, you can run 4:4:4 10-bit HDR, but it has to be done at 98hz. If you go higher than that in HDR (120hz, 144hz), you are limited to 8-bit and 4:2:2. You can do up to 4k 120hz with 4:4:4 in SDR, with 120hz being done at 8-bit vs 10-bit. All of this is due to the bandwidth limitation on DisplayPort 1.4.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
8GB is the just barely enough for a lot of the 4K games of the last few years. It is not enough for FF XV with 4K textures and max settings. I doubt it will be enough for future games.

My thoughts. 8GB seems too little for the next 4 years (the time I keep my GPUs). And the 2080Ti is just too expensive.
I guess I'll wait for 7nm. That will be when new consoles launch more or less, and it will be a more future-proof GPU.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to fucking God NVidia don't make me wait another week UGH

Don't count on the dates unless you are, well, in North America. For example I wouldn't be surprised if most 2080 Ti models arrive to Europe in mid-late October, with actual availability in November or December. I thought it would be different this time around when they announced the exact date so well in advance but from what I'm hearing it's going to be the same as before - some cards here and there, few stores getting priority and most stores not really knowing anything about incoming stock despite what the distributors "promise".

I've already seen stores move the release date for many cards by a week, a week later another week, and in few days it will likely move yet another week. In many cases the September 20 release date has changed to "in 1-2 months", "on order", "back ordered" etc.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I've already seen stores move the release date for many cards by a week, a week later another week, and in few days it will likely move yet another week. In many cases the September 20 release date has changed to "in 1-2 months", "on order", "back ordered" etc.

Yeah, B&H isn't expecting to have any stock until either late October (EVGA) or the end thereof (Zotac).

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is demand so high? Or is this "just" a paper launch? I've seen worse paper launches, if they are really only a month late though.
Really wish we could compare Maxwell v Pascal v Turing pre-orders btw.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
My thoughts. 8GB seems too little for the next 4 years (the time I keep my GPUs). And the 2080Ti is just too expensive.
I guess I'll wait for 7nm. That will be when new consoles launch more or less, and it will be a more future-proof GPU.
Yep, this gen is absolutely not a good "future proof" option. We literally have people factoring 1080Tis into their purchasing options against a 2080 and 2080Ti, which is... bizarre. I can't remember that ever happening before in previous gens. So if you have a 1070 or better, you'll have no problems continuing through this gen without an upgrade. But if you're super excited to be an early adopter for ray tracing and DLSS for the few games that will support that in the next 12 months, or you game at 4K and want as much extra performance as possible regardless of how bad the value is this gen, then it's worth the upgrade.

Anyone thinking about upgrading this gen to be future proof though is MUCH better off waiting for 7nm. This gen of cards will not hold up well against the next.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Future proof is the ultimate "what if" scenario.

Ultimately, it's about your use case, desirability, budget and the experience offered in the near future that generally differentiates a buyer from a spectator.

If I bought everything for future proofing, I'd still be waiting. Sometimes you get lucky as my jump from a Q6600 to a 2600k worked out well and now a jump to 9900k will likely last me for years. On the other hand, I understand and accept video cards to be a swapable item that will lose about 50% of value from one gen to another.

These cards are much more expensive than a traditional generation jump and trying to shift paradigm in IQ so for some of us, we're happy to jump on the experimental train while others might want to sit back and see how it unfolds. There's no right or wrong option here.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, this gen is absolutely not a good "future proof" option. We literally have people factoring 1080Tis into their purchasing options against a 2080 and 2080Ti, which is... bizarre. I can't remember that ever happening before in previous gens. So if you have a 1070 or better, you'll have no problems continuing through this gen without an upgrade. But if you're super excited to be an early adopter for ray tracing and DLSS for the few games that will support that in the next 12 months, or you game at 4K and want as much extra performance as possible regardless of how bad the value is this gen, then it's worth the upgrade.

Anyone thinking about upgrading this gen to be future proof though is MUCH better off waiting for 7nm. This gen of cards will not hold up well against the next.
I think the more VRAM vs Speed issue has shown up before, but it was usually with lower RAM varients of cards ala 3/6 GB 1060. If the next generation consoles have 16 GB of RAM, those 8 GB cards will get hit hard by increased texture usage for bleeding edge games, Cyberpunk 2077 among them.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
If the benchmarks are real then excellent performance but until hdmi 2.1 and all its supposed features are on the cards then I'm going to stick with my 1080ti and 1070.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I made the decision in the end to buy a 2080ti. I'm building a system next year which will be my first desktop/gaming PC in over 10 years and until then it will be used as an eGPU for my new MacBook Pro using Bootcamp.

I've been setting money aside since I started to plan it 10 years ago so I'm willing and able to take the hit, although ideally I still think these cards should have been priced/available below $1000,-. Bought an EVGA so I hope it arrives before the end of October. I'm really looking forward to see the games I missed in the last 10 years and play a game like Cyberpunk on high settings and framerates

Do these things fit inside a Razor Core X enclosure?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I purchased the Asus PG27UQ monitor a few days ago to pair with my 2080Ti. Been using it the past few days with my 1060 (lol) and enhanced consoles. The HDR works well. Really bright. I know the videocardz benches should be taken lightly, but I'm pretty hyped that this is looking to be a full fledge 4k card, with 60fps in most games. Somebody mentioned 4:4:4 HDR in the thread. With Displayport on this monitor, you can run 4:4:4 10-bit HDR, but it has to be done at 98hz. If you go higher than that in HDR (120hz, 144hz), you are limited to 8-bit and 4:2:2. You can do up to 4k 120hz with 4:4:4 in SDR, with 120hz being done at 8-bit vs 10-bit. All of this is due to the bandwidth limitation on DisplayPort 1.4.

Sounds amazing Smokey.. n it jealous at all. My kid just scratched the screen on my 27 tn dog swift so I might have to treat myself lol

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
If the benchmarks are real then excellent performance but until hdmi 2.1 and all its supposed features are on the cards then I'm going to stick with my 1080ti and 1070.

VFR? It's the one thing that although it's huge, is of little interest to me now that I'm gaming on a TV. Overhead at 4k/60 so I can use DSR is, however and of course DLSS, ditching/mixing AA in favour of DSR on a 1080p 55" tv was a revelation to me with a 980ti, and the boost in IQ to older games was legit. The push for resolution has always bugged me a bit when we have current gen console games that will never(backcompatnotwithstanding) see 1080/60.

The 'settings screen gamer' in me can't wait for new ingredients to add into the mix, and now that we're getting numbers my ti preorder sits much better in my gut. The release slippage you're all talking about is making me balk a bit though, Odyssey/FH4/BFV all expected to be playing on new card. I'm biting my nails now.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Future proof is the ultimate "what if" scenario.

Ultimately, it's about your use case, desirability, budget and the experience offered in the near future that generally differentiates a buyer from a spectator.

If I bought everything for future proofing, I'd still be waiting. Sometimes you get lucky as my jump from a Q6600 to a 2600k worked out well and now a jump to 9900k will likely last me for years. On the other hand, I understand and accept video cards to be a swapable item that will lose about 50% of value from one gen to another.

These cards are much more expensive than a traditional generation jump and trying to shift paradigm in IQ so for some of us, we're happy to jump on the experimental train while others might want to sit back and see how it unfolds. There's no right or wrong option here.
I don't know, it doesn't seem too difficult to read. I got lucky with CPUs exactly the same way as you, Q6600 to 2600k, and that kind of future proofing is definitely hard to read (still on 2600k 7 years later, still gaming at 60fps 1080p). But I think it's pretty clear that next year's CPUs will also be an amazing upgrade point, especially 7nm Zen 2, and given the performance gains on Pascal that was also a pretty clear winner at the time and looks set to last three to four years without issue.

So if future-proofing for a couple of GPU gens is something people value, yeah, this 2xxx gen is clearly not a good option. So many different factors stacked against it that it might even be the worst gen for future-proofing concerned consumers ever.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New leaked Benchmark - 12 Games total + 2 synthetic Benchmarks
https://videocardz.com/77983/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-rtx-2080-official-performance-unveiled

As always, leaked Benchmark, Benchmarks were made by Nvidia etc...
Wait for real Reviews before making decision.

on average (12 Games)

The RTX 2080 is 44% faster then a GTX 1080
The RTX 2080 is 14% faster then a GTX 1080 Ti
The RTX 2080 Ti is 26% faster then a RTX 2080
The RTX 2080 Ti is 43% faster then a GTX 1080 Ti

2080, 2080 Ti are powerful cards with good performance and interesting technology behind them. They are too expansive though for the average consumer. Good RTX 2080 cards (like an Asus Strix) start at 970€ over here and "good" RTX 2080 Ti start at about 1320€.
Still if you want the best 4k experience: It's either waiting or paying the premium price.

Personally, I think I'll stay on 1440p/G-Sync and a 1080Ti for a year or 1.5 longer. To get a significant upgrade in performance I'd have to pay 1300€... and I don't feel like it.
Rather going to pay the 600€ for a new 9900k and a z390 board tbh and keep the money I have for the PG27uq till better cards are available.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I will keep my 980 ti until next-gen. We gonna have 3 options in 2020? new nvidia gen, new amd gen, and intel gpu.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://videocardz.com/77983/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-rtx-2080-official-performance-unveiled

on average (12 Games)

2080, 2080 Ti are powerful cards with good performance and interesting technology behind them. They are too expansive though for the average consumer. Good RTX 2080 cards (like an Asus Strix) start at 970€ over here and "good" RTX 2080 Ti start at about 1320€.
Still if you want the best 4k experience: It's either waiting or paying the premium price.

Personally, I think I'll stay on 1440p/G-Sync and a 1080Ti for a year or 1.5 longer. To get a significant upgrade in performance I'd have to pay 1300€... and I don't feel like it.
Rather going to pay the 600€ for a new 9900k and a z390 board tbh and keep the money I have for the PG27uq till better cards are available.
If this ends up being true, I will upgrade my 1080 to a 2080ti, thats a great stepup for me

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
1440p @ 144Hz players might still benefit massively from a 2080 Ti if image quality alongside performance is a priority. I can imagine the performance headroom will allow for very heavy downsampling and AA that'll result in outstandingly sharp image quality.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
2080Ti is what should've been called Titan T really. I have no idea why they've decided to call it 2080Ti.
2080 is just 15% more expensive than 1080 at launch though.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Any news on RTX 2060? Like release date, performance or price?
So for anything below 2070 my guess is that we'll see GP106 or even GP104 reused as "GTX 2050" and "GTX 2060". The lowest RTX card will likely be "RTX 2060 Ti" built on a cut down TU106 chip with performance similar to 1070, probably retailing at around $350-400. Don't expect Turing below that.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

on average (12 Games)

GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-RTX-2080-Shadow-of-Tomb-Raider-1000x447.png

Brand new card can't get 60 in a game that came out at the same time. Hard fucking pass on 4k if this ends up being true.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
4k60 ultra with no dips below 60 in brand new AAA titles is probably still a gen or 2 away.

edit: in fact with ray tracing being a thing, I can see that being pushed even further. However, Shadow will support DLSS so with that enabled it should perform very well.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k60 ultra with no dips below 60 in brand new AAA titles is probably still a gen or 2 away.
Which ultimately makes the entire chase pointless as fidelity is going to skyrocket so much higher that we effectively reset to (at best, in my guess) maxwell level performance @4k once the new consoles drop, which if Nvidia waits 2 years between gens again is going to be a reality. This isn't even factoring in that silicone is hitting a dead end and die shrinks becoming more and more difficult to get at anywhere near cost-effectiveness for the trade-off...

This is why I suspect Nvidia is putting big money into DLSS. Unless we have a revolution of some sorts in microprocessor technology generations are just going to get longer and thus chasing raw pixel count at pristine performance is going to be more and more an impossibility for any of us who aren't willing to put down thousands and thousands of dollars for a card.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brand new card can't get 60 in a game that came out at the same time. Hard fucking pass on 4k if this ends up being true.

That's why I said best 4k experience and not guaranteed 4k/60/ultra. That said, DSLL will boost 2080Ti performance well over 60 fps in TR. Once the patch hits...

Don't expect Turing below that.

I doubt there will be a RTX 2060Ti. Everything below the RTX 2070 will, probably, have a GTX branding.

Hmm I was under the impression that GTX 1080 cards launched at around 700€...

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So that leak is from pamphlet that NV put together for reviewers?

Yeah, pass. Might as well wait for 24-48h for proper and official benches from reputable 3rd parties.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's probably a setting or two to turn down from ultra that won't make a big difference visually. Everything ultra is never worthwhile.

The problem is that those benches are almost certainly average FPS and not minimum FPS. On top of that, if we're already turning shit down from Max to High, or Medium and cards aren't even in people's hands yet then that's...eh. I'd rather overkill 1440@144 at this point.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Also the reviewers guide is comparing FE with FE ignoring the fact that past FE cards were blower style while the new ones are dual axial fans. It's going to be an interesting week.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there will be a RTX 2060Ti. Everything below the RTX 2070 will, probably, have a GTX branding.
There will inevitably be TU106 salvage parts. This alone makes an RTX 2060Ti highly likely. Although they may use it only for some low power Tesla cards of course.

So that leak is from pamphlet that NV put together for reviewers?

Yeah, pass. Might as well wait for 24-48h for proper and official benches from reputable 3rd parties.
This "pamflet" is likely accurate for what it's worth. It is of course showing the best possible scenario - I mean, how many of us actually play in 4K+HDR?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This "pamflet" is likely accurate for what it's worth. It is of course showing the best possible scenario - I mean, how many of us actually play in 4K+HDR?

I'm just skeptical of these internally produced numbers because NV just like Intel or AMD has every reason to color them up a bit for marketing etc. reasons.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just skeptical of these internally produced numbers because NV just like Intel or AMD has every reason to color them up a bit for marketing etc. reasons.
No need for this in the reviewers guide. What one should remember though is that reviewers guides are always full of best case scenarios - in both the choice of games used for benchmarking and settings / resolutions they've chosen there. It's highly likely that independent reviews will produce different results simply because of a different choice of games to benchmark and other settings/res used.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds amazing Smokey.. n it jealous at all. My kid just scratched the screen on my 27 tn dog swift so I might have to treat myself lol

I know the feel. I've had to clean my TV numerous times due to "stuff" some how magically getting on the screen.

This is definitely a high quality, high performing monitor. Considering the 2080ti is looking like a bonafide 4k60 card, they're looking to be a great match, albeit an expensive match.

GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-RTX-2080-Shadow-of-Tomb-Raider-1000x447.png

It's a single digit away from being at 60 and without any of the specific 20 series tech being implemented, and even then if you move a single option from Ultra to High, you're there.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I know the feel. I've had to clean my TV numerous times due to "stuff" some how magically getting on the screen.

This is definitely a high quality, high performing monitor. Considering the 2080ti is looking like a bonafide 4k60 card, they're looking to be a great match, albeit an expensive match.

It's a single digit away from being at 60 and without any of the specific 20 series tech being implemented, and even then if you move a single option from Ultra to High, you're there.
It makes you wonder about the overclocking here and what effect that has on some numbers. Kinda like the maxwell series - if you look just at a 970 or 980 Ti base, you do not actually get a great sense of how it can perform.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I didn't know RTX could do recursive reflections (even if it is in low quality and low resolution). I thought this effect won't happen, even in the distant future:

This is just a tech demo anyway, that NVidia will release like any GPU tech demo. I don't expect such feature to happen in any game any time soon. Maybe after many generations of RTX.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Man with those benches I'm actually kind of interested in the 2080, but I'm not sure if that difference is worth bump in price.
What are the chances I could find a 1080ti for ~450 in the next month or so?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I didn't know RTX could do recursive reflections (even if it is in low quality and low resolution). I thought this effect won't happen, even in the distant future:

This is just a tech demo anyway, that NVidia will release like any GPU tech demo. I don't expect such feature to happen in any game any time soon. Maybe after many generations of RTX.

Atomic Heart is a game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668580/Atomic_Heart/

For 1300€, also not mindblowing.

It is when you actually play Shadow of Tomb Rider like that. The idea that something can't be mindblowing if it's expensive it's also ridiculous. Being not worth it (in one's opinion) doesn't make it less impressive.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
For 1300€, also not mindblowing.
Judging the performance of a card based on an utterly arbitrary metric would still be stupid even if it cost €100000.
Would it suddenly be better if the game offered lower settings?
Would it be 2x worse if the game had some SSAA setting which halved performance, making it run at below 30 FPS at 4k?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why?
It's programmable bounding volume hierarchy traversal and ray triangle intersection hardware. It can do exactly as many bounces as you program it to do.

And for that reason, I thought it was impossible since recursive reflections are totally infinite and require a lot of processing power to do, unless they program a definite number of reflections like 5 maximum. About bounces , the maximum VXGI could do is 2 (before, it was 1) and I don't think any more would be feasible in a full scale game. but in a confined space like this tech demo, they can allow a certain number of reflections but not unlimited. No way this is feasible in any full fledged game.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"max" settings is such a meaningless target since it varies so much, no matter when the game comes out.

But yeah, 1080ti and selling my 980ti is looking appealing. Maybe a 2080 since I'll be on 1440p for a while.