• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
So as announced there are two models of the 4080 were announced a 12GB and 16GB. What wasn't made clear is these are actually 2 completely different cards using 2 chipsets. With the revealed specs it has now confirmed previous rumors that the 4080 12GB is actually going to be running on the 4070 chipset.

Official NVIDIA specs:
lyme5ha.png

Leaked Specs:
JGOj1ps.png

As you can see the specs line exactly up with the "Rumored" Specs. Now the big thing here is the GPU row. The REAL 4080 uses AD103-300 while the 4070(4080 12GB) uses AD104-400. The AD104 is also used in the other leaked specsheet for the 4070 just slightly more cut down.

This is some real bullshit and scummy behavior. This also means the entry price for the 80 series really went from 799$ to 1199$ a 400$ increase.

So be warned if you are eying off a 4080 12GB it wont perform the same as a 4080 16GB because its not really a 4080 at all.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
very typical nvidia shithousery to play around with the naming. Anyway, these are some pretty disastrous prices.

OP
OP
Nateo

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Gpu names are marketing. The only thing you should give a single shit about is price and performance.
Yes but now they have named 2 cards the same name despite being 2 different chipsets.

Or maybe its 4080ti and 4080
No its not because the 4070 is going to be running on AD104.

On paper it looks that way.. But why not call it what it is?

Because its very much not.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Sometimes this pc gaming stuff is annoying ugh these prices... I really wanted to upgrade

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Daaaamn that's crazy.

I'm going to have to boycott Nvidia for a month because of this.

Jul 1, 2020
A single card in the whole 4000 series lineup under $1,000 USD means they must have a lot of 3000 series chips to sell but they don't want fire sale prices.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The xx80 name carries a lot of weight. People are willing to pay hundreds of more dollars to change that 7 to a 8. But yeah you shouldn't base your purchase decision based on the model number thinking it will be relevant to past models. The days of 1080ti value are never returning. Just look at the performance it has and how much you're willing to pay. More importantly, wait for actual benchmarks and reviews and not nvidia powerpoint slides.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
That's really scummy. My wife got burned by the 3GB 1060 back in the day, but at least that card was the same as the 6GB version with less RAM - this is just borderline fraudulent.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Fucking scum. I hope AMD gives them a wake up call in pricing.

I wouldn't count on it. AMD has had poor CPU and GPU prices for a few years now, imo. I think if they wanted to come out more popular for now, they would immediately make a mid-range affordable GPU on day 1 that people can actually buy.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I saw that during the event and thought that's quite a big price gap between the 4080s for just the memory and now I see why, it'll be weaker too ha.
Yeah that move sucks. Seems they're reliant on being misleading here and/or hoping just the headline of a 4080 starting from ÂŁ945 is worth it.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering why there was a difference in cuda cores and not just the ram. This is plain deceptive.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy if those actually are three separate chips.

So the 4070 is really going to be the 4060 and likely cost 700. Assuming the market doesn't crater and everything gets thrown out the window. Which it likely will be the time the 4070 launches.

Gpu names are marketing. The only thing you should give a single shit about is price and performance.

This is such a triggerable statement. I don't know if people just like to gaslight or on Nvidia payrolls when they make these claims.

By this logic, GPUs should cost like a billion dollars by now. Because every new generation increase should have had a huge price hike to accompany the new performance. Doubly true if it's a mid-range card. Mid range cards should forever remain garbage unless you're willing to pay the price of last gen's premium card.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
You will still get that one person defending them for this because they already did this before with Pascal, but Nvidia will get hammered by techtubers I expect

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
If I could upvote this thread, I would. Everyone needs to know this before buying a "4080" 12GB.

OP
OP
Nateo

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy if those actually are three separate chips.

So the 4070 is really going to be the 4060 and likely cost 700. Assuming the market doesn't crater and everything gets thrown out the window. Which it likely will be the time the 4070 launches.

This is such a triggerable statement. I don't know if people just like to gaslight or on Nvidia payrolls when they make these claims.

By this logic, GPUs should cost like a billion dollars by now. Because every new generation increase should have had a huge price hike to accompany the new performance. Doubly true if it's a mid-range card. Mid range cards should forever remain garbage unless you're willing to pay the price of last gen's premium card.
No the 4070 is rumored to be on the same chip as the 4080 12GB. Essentially the 4080 12GB isa 4070ti.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't count on it. AMD has had poor CPU and GPU prices for a few years now, imo. I think if they wanted to come out more popular for now, they would immediately make a mid-range affordable GPU on day 1 that people can actually buy.
It doesn't really matter how cheap AMD cards are because Nvidia brand name is so strong that people will still pay the premium.

bigumbrella

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 16, 2022
It's kind of nutty that the xx70 series will likely be at 8gb of ram from the 1070 all the way to 4070 lol.

Edit: if a 4070 is 10gb and is slightly faster than a 3080 and is priced at say $700 I guess that isn't a terrible value. Might be basically the only Lovelace card picking up if you don't want to spend a fortune and are upgrading from say a 3060 or less/older card.

If AMD has a 7800 Xt 16gb priced less than the 4080 12gb they will have a winner.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia gonna Nvidia

Hows AMD's DLSS equivalent these days? Might need to look at team Red for my next upgrade in a few years.

Nov 8, 2017

What are you talking about?

I'm saying that you should base your purchasing decisions on is whether each card performs well enough for your needs, and is priced affordable for you. I am not saying it's good that prices increased, that's completely absurd and putting words into my mouth.

0 humans on earth decide to purchase or not purchase a gpu based on whether it has a 103 or 104. They look at how it performs and how much it costs.

The argument that there is a potential to mislead is something I'm slightly sympathetic to. I don't believe little Timmy's grandmother will be duped into buying the wrong thing, but the problem is that the price on the 12gb variant is so much lower that its probably the superior value option to begin with, and fewer cores with a higher boost clock is likely to mean you're paying 75% as much money for 80-90% as much power. So while I always think you should give it a separate name, the "potential for harm" is extemely marginal.

The other part of the argument is what I take issue with though. The one that suggests it's bad and wrong to pass off a "true 4070 as a 4080".

There is no "true 4070", there are only specific products released to market. People made the same argument when the GTX 680 was a 104 chip, that it wasn't a "true 680" because it was some kind of law of nature that x80 must be a 102 designated chip. But ultimately, this turned out to be irrelevant, because people do not buy products based on what number is etched with a laser on the gpu die. Since then, gpu nomenclature has shifted multiple times and the market has adapted to it without any issue. Because, as I said, they care about what the price / perf is on each card, not so much about what chip it uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.