• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

si2k78

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone know how much revenue the Nintendo Switch contributed to this? I'm assuming whatever they charge for the x1 and the development tools that were developed for the switch.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is so sad consoles use and will use AMD gpus. Imagine what will be possible with Nvidia GPUS =(

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Finally they are getting some console money again, that's the reason for this upturn. All those years of being salty of AMD are over.
It is so sad consoles use and will use AMD gpus. Imagine what will be possible with Nvidia GPUS =(
"Introducing the PS5 for only 799$"

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
There's a reason why Intel teamed up with AMD to make that laptop chip. Nvidia is really getting to be a big threat for intel..not in the traditional desktop x86 CPU market which is not really a growth market anymore but in the AI and smart cars areas which is still the wild west for now and Nvidia seems really poised to have first-mover advantage everyday.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Far more expensive consoles most likely. I buy Nvidia stuff, but they haven't had a good run on consoles. MS and Sony both got burned by them. Nintendo is faring better, only because they're using an outdated, mostly stock system-on-chip.

OP
OP
Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Finally they are getting some console money again, that's the reason for this upturn. All those years of being salty of AMD are over.

"Introducing the PS5 for only 799$"

1.56 billion has nothing to do with switch or anything else, entirely PC gpu. The rest is from data centre, autonomous cars and other high end. Switch would not be responsible for much of that at all.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, they've made some shitty cards. They're doing really well right now.

They haven't had many though. And when they do make a mistake, you can bet the next cycle is going to be awesome. Not being married to bad designs and quality drivers is what's made them the unbeatable force they are today.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Intersting to see how well nVidia is doing considering that barely games are released that warrant an upgrade of the graphics card. I mean, my 970 is still running most games on high settings. Only thing crippling it is when I up the resolution to 4k.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Based on what exactly? I have no issues with Nvidia drivers.

Performance jumps for AMD gpu from driver releases is a reflection of the poor state of the initial drivers for their hardware.

This is true. As a owner of both a vega64 and a 1080gtx . My Vega build has had more issues with new games easily.

OP
OP
Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Intersting to see how well nVidia is doing considering that barely games are released that warrant an upgrade of the graphics card. I mean, my 970 is still running most games on high settings. Only thing crippling it is when I up the resolution to 4k.

So, you need an upgrade. I play at 1440p with everything on (generally) and high frame rates.

The days of 60fps and 1080p are going away on PC, a 970 aint going to cut it at higher resolution and framerate with the eye candy turned on.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crtl + F: "Bitcoin" = 0 results.

Am I the only one that thinks this good results go hand in hand with the current bitcoin market?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They haven't had many though. And when they do make a mistake, you can bet the next cycle is going to be awesome. Not being married to bad designs and quality drivers is what's made them the unbeatable force they are today.

That's the key. They do a lot of work on their drivers and they don't keep what isn't working. They keep pushing, even when they're not being pushed.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyone know how much revenue the Nintendo Switch contributed to this? I'm assuming whatever they charge for the x1 and the development tools that were developed for the switch.

Q1:

Graphics hardware firm reports Q1 revenues of $1.94bn, aided by new console's use of Tegra processor

In the firm's Q1 report for the 2018 fiscal year, the graphics chip manufacturer reports revenues for its Tegra processor rose to $332m - more than double the results seen in the same period last year, and up by 29% from the previous quarter.
While the Tegra is used in a number of games products, including Nvidia's own Shield tablets, it is notable for being the heart of Nintendo's new Switch console.
However, just under half of the Tegra revenues ($140m) were attributed to the automotive industry "primarily from infotainment modules", encompassing in-car DVD and media players as well as the more advanced heads-up displays. That means the maximum contribution Switch has made to Nvidia's revenues is $192m.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...witch-boosts-nvidia-revenues-by-up-to-USD192m

so guess you can extrapolate from that: give or take around 10% of the total revenue.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
So, you need an upgrade. I play at 1440p with everything on (generally) and high frame rates.

The days of 60fps and 1080p are going away on PC, a 970 aint going to cut it at higher resolution and framerate with the eye candy turned on.
I know, but it's still kinda disappointing that the sole reason for upgrades seems to be the resolution these days.

Oct 30, 2017
They have been generally cooler, faster and less power draw.

Only issue is that they are a high margin company.

The major issue is that Nvidia doesn't and can't make X86 CPU's. One huge advantage for MS/Sony going AMD is that they can design their own custom SoC's and own the IP for them. This allows them to control things like redesigns for process shrinks or who produces the SoC's themselves.

When you don't control the SoC you end up in situations like the OG Xbox or PS3 where you end up being at the mercy of the individual part manufacturers and if any of them decide that they aren't interested in changing the design or lowering cost, you're screwed. NV has shown little interest in being particularly helpful here.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Nvidia was in a dominating position over AMD, but I didn't know it was this much. Almost making as much money as the whole of AMD from purely their PC cards? Damn.
so much for console chips leading to nvidia salt

OP
OP
Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I knew Nvidia was in a dominating position over AMD, but I didn't know it was this much. Almost making as much money as the whole of AMD from purely their PC cards? Damn.
so much for console chips leading to nvidia salt

It's a crazy when you consider it, AMD are a smaller company than Nvidia when simply put.

And AMD share price hasn't really reflected the good reviews around Ryzen.

And Intel have massive cash reserves, I can't wait to see their real answer to Ryzen.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Now they just need to invest in making their software (GeForce Experience) not suck major ass and be the usual suspect when your games develop crashes and plummeting framerates.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I've always ran Nvidia GPU's just because they have that insanely good mid tier like the GTX 1070 when it came out.....but I switched to a 1700x Zen at launch and absolutely love the performance value that thing brings to the table. It's a fantastic CPU and can't wait for it to enter the console cycle.

But building a budget PC the last time I did it.....AMD can truly be an amazing starting point for PC newcomers.

Nov 15, 2017
I just installed two 1080 Ti into my new rig, and the results are beyond all expectations. They make some good shit.

Now they just need to invest in making their software (GeForce Experience) not suck major ass and be the usual suspect when your games develop crashes and plummeting framerates.

Yeah, I seem to get better results from leaving shit alone.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The Tegra SoC business brought in $419 million in revenue, up 74% year-on-year. That revenue includes proceeds from the Nintendo Switch and its associated development services.
http://techreport.com/news/32818/nvidia-turned-in-more-record-results-for-q3-of-its-fiscal-2018

EDIT:
Automotive revenue tallied up to $144 million, up 13% on the year. That business includes infotainment systems, Drive PX systems, and revenue from development agreements for self-driving cars.

So at most Switch brought in $275M in revenue for nvidia.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia drivers was less reliable in the past year. A lot of releases that broke something that then required a hotfix so for some that looks luke 2 driver updates.

Otherwise i am in the green team (gtx 1080). Their prices really could be better though.

What im most excited about now is volta and the 11 series and the chip we expect will go into the Switch succesor.

I just checked their website and the X1 is still their most recent consumer grade tegra. Looks like the X2 wont see a wide release and they'll go straight into the Volta chip.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Based on what exactly? I have no issues with Nvidia drivers.

Performance jumps for AMD gpu from driver releases is a reflection of the poor state of the initial drivers for their hardware.
This seems like a pretty contradictory statement considering Nvidia have had their fair share of performance jumps from driver releases.