• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Using a Nvidia 384 core Volta for the GPU, 6 core Arm Carmel 64 bit for the CPU, 128 bit 8 GB LPDDR4x at 51 GB/s at 1600MHz for the Ram and bandwidth. Also has a 10 and a 15 watt power mode. Out on March 2020 for $399.

I have no idea how powerful the GPU is/ how it compares to current Nvidia Xavier. Would be interesting to see what chip node size and the actual die size it uses though. That low power wattage is pretty amazing.

Not gonna lie. If it wasn't for the Carmel cores, the 10-15 watt power usage, NX as part of the name, and March 2020 release makes me almost believe it could be on a Switch Pro...

Edit: IIRC, the regular Nvidia Xavier runs on a 12nm node on 20-30 watts and at FP32 1.4 TFLOPs max for GPU. This could easily rival PS4 in GPU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think this is anything videogame related
But it could be. It's the smallest chip being used for A.I.. the Tegra X2 Parker was initially designed for cars, but now it's being used for on a VR headset called Magic.

That's such a weird product to release. Is there anything else being mass produced with this kind of a chip config?
Not that I know of. I think it's the first. Dunno why it has the Jetson in there (in the name).

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
would this work with the Nano devkit? Looks like It has the same SODIMM interface.

Nov 23, 2017
That's such a weird product to release. Is there anything else being mass produced with this kind of a chip config?
There are probably 100s of university or organizational level research labs or even places like small banks or something that use training models that would love to have more chunks of compute units that do tensor math well, for 399 each. Well I guess they could get graphics card instead, but those are really expensive now.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Op thinking is gaming related. Nvidia is looking for market share witch is in the mobile market.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Op thinking is gaming related. Nvidia is looking for market share witch is in the mobile market.
I was tempted to make half a speculation thread on the switch pro, but there's rules on them, right? My intent is game/mobile related indeed for the Nvidia Xavier at least

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is really not oriented for video games, it's a deep learning SoC that's a cut down chip that was dedicated for automotive AI

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I know of Nvidia and this thread, it seems like this isn't related to video games. However, it's always fun to think about what a future Switch chip looks like, as I imagine more could be done in the next couple years with today's tech and Nintendo's cost/power margins beyond what we already got with Mariko.

Who are Nvidia's clients with these chips?

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
this is really not oriented for video games, it's a deep learning SoC that's a cut down chip that was dedicated for automotive AI
So was the TX2, but now it's running on Magic VR headset.

Anyway, I did some additional research and according to the Tegra wiki page it's running at 845 GFLOPs for the GPU, 60% of the power of the Tegra Xavier released last year. Definitely 12nm and likely just stripped of those GPU cores to get those watts.

Still pretty cool though. With mixed precision mode taken advantage of, should outperform xbone base and be within 90% performance without it. Something like this outperforming the TX1 on powerful by near double at 12nm (due to Volta architecture) is cool. I really hope Nintendo ditches tx1 for a switch pro/switch 2.

Oct 27, 2017
The good thing is the 20-30W in the 1.4TF part should be 10-15W in 2020-21 on 7nm, maybe 2TF+ on 5nm in 21-22, and maybe 2.8-3TF on 3nm, but that may all take until 2023 for Switch 2, which I hope has a foldable screen like those new TCL phones

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Based on what I know of Nvidia and this thread, it seems like this isn't related to video games. However, it's always fun to think about what a future Switch chip looks like, as I imagine more could be done in the next couple years with today's tech and Nintendo's cost/power margins beyond what we already got with Mariko.

Who are Nvidia's clients with these chips?

Excerpt from the first article:

Nvidia said Jetson Xavier NX is ideal for edge computing devices such as small commercial robots and drones, intelligent high-resolution sensors used in manufacturing operations and portable medical devices, among others. These kinds of devices have always been difficult to cater to as they demand a high level of computing performance to be able to process data on site. That technology simply wasn't available before because of size, weight and power constraints.

But Jetson Xavier NX changes that since it's powerful enough to run multiple neural networks in parallel while processing data from numerous sources in real time.

jetson-xavier-nx-specs

James Kobielus, an analyst with SiliconANGLE Media's sister market research firm Wikibon, said Jetson Xavier NX's blend of a small footprint, low power, high performance and flexible deployment options would be critical to its widespread adoption.

"These commercial imperatives are especially important for edge computing in mobile, embedded, robotic, and "internet of things" devices," Kobielus said. "Just as important is its ecosystem-readiness, being both pin-compatible with the existing Jetson Nano hardware platform and supporting machine learning models built in all major AI frameworks, including TensorFlow, PyTorch, MxNet, Caffe and others."

The good thing is the 20-30W in the 1.4TF part should be 10-15W in 2020-21 on 7nm, maybe 2TF+ on 5nm in 21-22, and maybe 2.8-3TF on 3nm, but that may all take until 2023 for Switch 2, which I hope has a foldable screen like those new TCL phones
7nm or 7nm+ EUV? I wouldn't be surprised if it can run the full 1.4TFLOPs GPU/512 cores from the original Xavier using 7nm+EUV.

Maybe Xavier isn't possible due to the Carmel cores, but man... But it could be possible on a mobile ampere if they use a similar CPU as TX1 (albeit A77). And it will be even more efficient and powerful than Xavier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Man, that memory bandwidth though.

2x as much as switch is gonna be a significant jump if used on a switch pro. Despite OG seitch having like 4x less bandwidth than xbone and PS4, it's made up some ground with tile based rendering. I actually don't think it would be a bottleneck at all vs xbone base ports. I expect it to run pretty damn close to xbone Doom performance for the resolution, if not identical with 8GB at 51.2GB/s and 845GFLOPs GPU. Not counting CPU for obvious reasons but a a CPU 2-2.5x as fast as curry switch should put it on the same plane as curre t he .

If it was LPDDR5 RAM, iirc 100GB/s for bandwith is possible.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I was tempted to make half a speculation thread on the switch pro, but there's rules on them, right? My intent is game/mobile related indeed for the Nvidia Xavier at least

Nvidia, intel, etc are super behind when it comes to mobile, they know it. Look at the switch compared to any Apple tablet is super behind they are playing catch up.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Nvidia, intel, etc are super behind when it comes to mobile, they know it. Look at the switch compared to any Apple tablet is super behind they are playing catch up.
To be fair, TX1 in 2017 on Pixel C, Switch, and Nvidia Shield were actually among the top in mobile GPU performance back then, especially at their price.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
But it could be. It's the smallest chip being used for A.I.. the Tegra X2 Parker was initially designed for cars, but now it's being used for on a VR headset called Magic.

Not that I know of. I think it's the first. Dunno why it has the Jetson in there (in the name).
It's still the older 12nm, whatever Nintendo and Nvidia do next will be on 7nm+ Samsung fab. This also has 2 NDLA, and 48 Tensor cores (no RT cores because Volta) it doesn't make sense for gaming. We do know from Anandtech's benchmark testing that Carmel cores are equal to A75 cores, so 6 1.2GHz Carmel cores here, also the GPU profile is clocked at 1.1GHz, or 845GFLOPs, slightly less powerful than a XB1.

I'd also push back on the LPDDR4X being used in a newer Switch model, basically if they wanted this type of performance, the Tegra X1+ actually can get them fairly close with 650GFLOPs in the max profile on the new Switch models, and it already uses LPDDR4X just clocked lower, but could have had 37GB/s memory bandwidth.

I'm going to suggest though, that this seems to be a trend with Nvidia releasing these new Nano Tegra chips really quickly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they are planning to release a 7nm Tegra successor to Xavier next holiday with a nano chip based on Ampere the following Spring, with Nintendo releasing a newer version of the Switch somewhere in that time frame.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, TX1 in 2017 on Pixel C, Switch, and Nvidia Shield were actually among the top in mobile GPU performance back then, especially at their price.

not is not if you compare herts/ ie power per batterie cells Apple is doing the bigger Jump in power/ wattage and battery less consumption/ now Samsung with their new tech. When it comes to mobile our main companies are lacking in comparison , and I think it has to do with them thinking mobile wasn't coming this fast and it bit them in the rear.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
It's still the older 12nm, whatever Nintendo and Nvidia do next will be on 7nm+ Samsung fab. This also has 2 NDLA, and 48 Tensor cores (no RT cores because Volta) it doesn't make sense for gaming. We do know from Anandtech's benchmark testing that Carmel cores are equal to A75 cores, so 6 1.2GHz Carmel cores here, also the GPU profile is clocked at 1.1GHz, or 845GFLOPs, slightly less powerful than a XB1.

I'd also push back on the LPDDR4X being used in a newer Switch model, basically if they wanted this type of performance, the Tegra X1+ actually can get them fairly close with 650GFLOPs in the max profile on the new Switch models, and it already uses LPDDR4X just clocked lower, but could have had 37GB/s memory bandwidth.

I'm going to suggest though, that this seems to be a trend with Nvidia releasing these new Nano Tegra chips really quickly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they are planning to release a 7nm Tegra successor to Xavier next holiday with a nano chip based on Ampere the following Spring, with Nintendo releasing a newer version of the Switch somewhere in that time frame.
Yeah after I found the 845GFLOPs for the GPU and saw it was using 380 cores, I put two and two together and figured the 60% GPU power reduction justified the 10-15 watt usage from the 20-30. CPU and bandwidth also lowered to accommodate

They'll probably skip the 7nm Xavier. Ampere is already 2 generations ahead anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
The chip doesn't appear to be new, it looks like the same one in the Jetson AGX Xavier, with some of the components disabled. Similar deal as that Jetson Nano board from earlier in the year.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah after I found the 845GFLOPs for the GPU and saw it was using 380 cores, I put two and two together and figured the 60% GPU power reduction justified the 10-15 watt usage from the 20-30. CPU and bandwidth also lowered to accommodate

They'll probably skip the 7nm Xavier. Ampere is already 2 generations ahead anyway.
Right, they won't bring Xavier to 7nm, this chip already puts them ahead of everyone else in the AI field that it is targeting, and 7nm will allow Ampere Tegra chips to compete with Mobile. I think it does give a pretty good picture of performance for that power range at 7nm though, Nvidia should be able to achieve 800+ GFLOPs in the original Switch's power envelope when portable. The actual power draw is 7.5 watts for the Tegra NX chip here, and 15 watts for the higher clocked/more CPU cores.

We will probably start hearing stuff around GDC next year, and my guess is a pro model before the end of the FY (before April 2021) is pretty much right on time for Nintendo's 3DS life cycle.
not is not if you compare herts/ ie power per batterie cells Apple is doing the bigger Jump in power/ wattage and battery less consumption/ now Samsung with their new tech. When it comes to mobile our main companies are lacking in comparison , and I think it has to do with them thinking mobile wasn't coming this fast and it bit them in the rear.
It's still on 12nm here, Samsung's 7nm+ node that Nvidia will start using in the next 6 months, is going to allow them to compete with mobile pretty hard. Still Apple is going to be in it's own devices, with it's own power and chip sizes that no one else can really push. It's also a very closed ecosystem, so the software involved with resources and what not is entirely in Apple's favor here. Having said that, Nvidia and Nintendo are going to be able to use active cooling, which can really balance out the performance difference, hitting higher sustained clocks is a big deal IMO.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
@zOm3le yeah I know Apple is better left as it own devices and more so now with the rumors of them buying a more advance refinery. I am just hoping that nvidia pushes Nintendo to cope for a more advanced chip. Every company is racing right now for that edge, in this upcoming Year, why it can't be a composition of two companies but that's too much too hope from ninty. I wish they push more for technical advancement but they don't care.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is totally wrong.

Nvidia was pushing hard for mobile with the first 2 iterations of Tegra.

Nvidia fucked up both times by finishing them a few months late forcing their buyers to switch to snapdragon.

After those two disasters nvidia was dead to mobile OEM's. They don't tolerate delayed releases because it is a fast development sector.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
mutantmagnet mobile chipset centric development is moving super fast because the tech is here, the problem is that big companies like nvidia and intel never took it for granted. Now that they have seeing their growth they are panicking pushing chips half way done. Why you thing Apple is trying to buy that refinery is to leave the old lions behind like they sought it to.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

And, your point? Apple, a company valued over a trillion dollars, have some of the best semiconductor designers on the planet Earth and MASSIVE resources to invest in it very custom SoC vs a pure video gaming company such as Nintendo. What can anybody expect?

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
And, your point? Apple, a company valued over a trillion dollars, have some of the best semiconductor designers on the planet Earth and MASSIVE resources to invest in it very custom SoC vs a pure video gaming company such as Nintendo. What can anybody expect?

My point ?, progress...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That memory bandwidth is still way too slow. Even if they manage to hit PS4/X1 TF figures, they will hit memory bandwidth issues before they could utilize it well.

But i am not convinced its the switch pro yet.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
mutantmagnet mobile chipset centric development is moving super fast because the tech is here, the problem is that big companies like nvidia and intel never took it for granted. Now that they have seeing their growth they are panicking pushing chips half way done. Why you thing Apple is trying to buy that refinery is to leave the old lions behind like they sought it to.
My point is that Nvidia recognized how important mobile was very early and tried to provide the best GPUs for that form factor but failed to meet the demands of their prospective OEM partners.

Nvidia didn't panic, they failed to execute in a timely manner.

After those mistakes they did their best to repurpose tegra for cars.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that Nvidia recognized how important mobile was very early and tried to provide the best GPUs for that form factor but failed to meet the demands of their prospective OEM partners.

Nvidia didn't panic, they failed to execute in a timely manner.

After those mistakes they did their best to repurpose tegra for cars.

yes they failed because they never expected mobile to take them for a surprise, ARM took every company by surprise. But now the old lions that every one relied on are behind to the table.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
That memory bandwidth is still way too slow. Even if they manage to hit PS4/X1 TF figures, they will hit memory bandwidth issues before they could utilize it well.

Nintendo has partnered with Samsung with the Switch, LPDDR4 for the original because in 2017 that is what Samsung Galaxy phones were using, and LPDDR4X because that is what this year's Samsung phones are using, Nintendo will go with LPDDR5 next year if they release a more powerful Switch, which is another reason this isn't the chip they would use, but the main reason is that Nvidia and Nintendo would benefit greatly from using the 7nm+ Samsung chip, it's also Samsung supplied, which is a partnership Nintendo already has a good relationship with. This happening next year would be just like when Nintendo released the New 3DS line a year (2014) after the very cheap $129 2DS line in 2013. It would also pull some attention back to Nintendo and rumor has it Zelda is coming next year too, this would be the perfect time to launch a more powerful chip so people can enjoy a higher graphical showcase with less performance issues.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

51.2 GB/s should be fine for most ports on PS4/Xbone. Of course I want higher, but the Switch actually doesn't need 100GB/s to match xbone/ps4. They've done really well for most games already, and part of that is due to nvidia tegra's rasterization and tile based rendering compensating a bit, despite only having 25.6GB/s bandwidth, which is only 2x as much as Wii U's.

GDDR5 would be amazing though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
z0mbie:

OH wow.. the jetson Xavier is quite tiny.
"70 mm x 45 mm, Jetson Xavier NX packs the power of NVIDIA Xavier SoC into a module the size of a
Jetson Nano"

compared to 100 x 87 mm from the original Xavier. Of course it doesn't have a 256 bit bus RAM, less GPU cores...

www.nvidia.com

NVIDIA Jetson Xavier Series

It’s the next evolution in next-generation intelligent machines.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
z0mbie:

OH wow.. the jetson Xavier is quite tiny.
"70 mm x 45 mm, Jetson Xavier NX packs the power of NVIDIA Xavier SoC into a module the size of a
Jetson Nano"

compared to 100 x 87 mm from the original Xavier. Of course it doesn't have a 256 bit bus RAM, less GPU cores...

www.nvidia.com

NVIDIA Jetson Xavier Series

It’s the next evolution in next-generation intelligent machines.
It's the same form factor as the Tegra Nano, because it is a new Nano part. It will be very interesting going forward, the size of these Nano boards shouldn't change, but the chip is going to be 7nm+ next time, which allows for much more transistors, it is why I think we will see a 768 Cuda Core part, because I think the next full size Tegra chip will be 1024-1280 Cuda Cores with up to 160 Tensor cores and up to 20 RT cores. The Nano part will be stripped down from that, and I think 768 Cuda Cores is a really good balance, because you can greatly improve on the performance here, going from 384 Cuda Cores to 768, and moving to a higher clock under the new process node because it will have a better power curve, allowing for probably a clock speed around 1.4GHz to hit that 15 watts (depending on the CPU and CPU clock, it might be higher).

Basically Switch V2 could be looking at 768 Cuda Cores @1.4GHz for ~2.15TFLOPs docked, and give ~1TFLOPs in portable. You'd also see at least the Nano part have 96 Tensor cores and 12 RT cores (if the RT count doesn't improve per SM) that should allow some Ray Tracing for 720p resolution, the Ampere RT part is rumored to be twice as fast, so this is just a bit slower in Raytracing performance than a RTX 1060. This sort of configuration for a Switch V2 makes a good deal of sense even if they opt out of Tensor and RT cores, because the Switch is at least originally laid out as an evolving platform, and this is a part that can carry them for the first 3+ years of next generation, getting Nvidia towards that 3nm+ Samsung node in 2023-2024, when they can greatly improve on performance again, not just in cuda core count, but the power curve will improve again, allowing for 1GHz+ in portable and up to 2GHz docked, along with a core count improvement to say 1280 Cuda Cores, a Switch V3 in 2023-2024 could produce 2.5TFLOPs+ as a portable and up to 5TFLOPs docked, a really good place to be if you are targeting 1080p docked still.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
That's really interesting how you got those numbers, or guesstimated. Even if we get a 2.2 TFLOPs GPU docked and 800-1TFLOP handheld, I really hope we just move on to a 1080p screen at least, if it's a hypothetical switch pro. 720p feels too outdated in post 2020 and perhaps a 1 TFLOP ampere might actually match PS4 GPU specs or be in between due to a much better and modern architecture.
Do you know/remember the efficiency gains going from parker-->volta-->Turing?

If we get a 2 TFLOP Switch handheld/4-5 TFLOP docked in 2022-2023, I hope Nintendo considers a 2k screen.

Oh yeah, ampere will be introduced in the GTC conference in late March 2020, but not released till June.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WCCF coming with a new article so soon after their article of Ampere maybe not hitting 2020? how bold of them

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
They said that? I thought most outlets reported it was just delayed from early to mid 2020. Hmm. Well at least before it was rumors and now it's confirmed for a mid 2020 release for their high end cards.

Whatnoww

Jun 26, 2019
That's really interesting how you got those numbers, or guesstimated. Even if we get a 2.2 TFLOPs GPU docked and 800-1TFLOP handheld, I really hope we just move on to a 1080p screen at least, if it's a hypothetical switch pro. 720p feels too outdated in post 2020 and perhaps a 1 TFLOP ampere might actually match PS4 GPU specs or be in between due to a much better and modern architecture.
Do you know/remember the efficiency gains going from parker-->volta-->Turing?

If we get a 2 TFLOP Switch handheld/4-5 TFLOP docked in 2022-2023, I hope Nintendo considers a 2k screen.

Oh yeah, ampere will be introduced in the GTC conference in late March 2020, but not released till June.
Amazing stuff really if it get's used in a Switch upgrade further ahead. I don't think they're going to move past 720p on portable mode at least, since that would probably cause too much of a divide between the first revisions and the newer revisions, at least in their power gap.

But this really seems like Xavier NX is a likely future upgrade. We would at least get native resolution games from even the hardest hitters and lowest resolution games on the platform, that is of course, not accounting for bad optimization.

Them announcing it now makes it seem probable that it would be a upgrade for the Switch, and would actually put into truth what they were saying about thousands of man hours or something like that when the Switch came out.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think this necessarily has to do with a switch pro, but it does show Nvidia making progress in the space that will eventually be the switch 2/pro. No matter what tho, expect nintendos chip to be custom made to better fit the switches needs.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The SoC itself here is likely the same, just partially disabled which allows them to hit the 10-15W and sell off whatever salvage they have prior to moving all this product stack to Orin.

They said that? I thought most outlets reported it was just delayed from early to mid 2020. Hmm. Well at least before it was rumors and now it's confirmed for a mid 2020 release for their high end cards.
WCCFT at its "best".

A. It was never "delayed" because there was never any date attached to its launch in the first place. Nv has learned from their past roadmap disclosures and simply stopped providing them so people wouldn't run around claiming how something was "delayed".

B. "It" as in "Ampere" is an architecture, not a product. It is reasonable to expect the launch of a first Ampere based product at GTC in March 2020 - but this product is highly likely to be a Volta successor and not really made for gaming. Whether Ampere will be a repeat of Pascal from there or a repeat of Volta remains to be seen.

Whatnoww

Jun 26, 2019
The SoC itself here is likely the same, just partially disabled which allows them to hit the 10-15W and sell off whatever salvage they have prior to moving all this product stack to Orin.

Yep. The picture of the actual chip is also a lot smaller than the full fat Xavier. I'd suspect Nintendo would probably disable the 2 NVDLA Engines if they don't remove it.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Amazing stuff really if it get's used in a Switch upgrade further ahead. I don't think they're going to move past 720p on portable mode at least, since that would probably cause too much of a divide between the first revisions and the newer revisions, at least in their power gap.

But this really seems like Xavier NX is a likely future upgrade. We would at least get native resolution games from even the hardest hitters and lowest resolution games on the platform, that is of course, not accounting for bad optimization.

Them announcing it now makes it seem probable that it would be a upgrade for the Switch, and would actually put into truth what they were saying about thousands of man hours or something like that when the Switch came out.
I dunno.. I wouldn't bet on it.The Xavier NX is at least on paper, only slightly 2x more powerful than the current Switch. However in reality, it would be pretty close/on par with xbone base specs. If it had the full 1.4 TFLOPs, it would no doubt be on par with PS4 base GPU.

The biggest issue is the carmel cores. I'll take Zombie's word for it that they are as powerful as an A75, but the architecture still is different than A55s-A76. Doesn't make sense to use a different CPU architecture for a pro model. If it as a successor and it was well more than 2x as powerful (say 4-5x powerful at least), it wouldn't be a big deal.

Whatnoww

Jun 26, 2019
I dunno.. I wouldn't bet on it.The Xavier NX is at least on paper, only slightly 2x more powerful than the current Switch. However in reality, it would be pretty close/on par with xbone base specs. If it had the full 1.4 TFLOPs, it would no doubt be on par with PS4 base GPU.

The biggest issue is the carmel cores. I'll take Zombie's word for it that they are as powerful as an A75, but the architecture still is different than A55s-A76. Doesn't make sense to use a different CPU architecture for a pro model. If it as a successor and it was well more than 2x as powerful (say 4-5x powerful at least), it wouldn't be a big deal.

To be fair they are still using a similar architecture which should be at least backwards compatible with the A57's in the Tegra X1 since they are using the ARM V8.2 architecture in Caramel which is fully backwards compatible with ARMv8.0-A used in the A57's. Dunno much about the rest of the feature set seperate from the CPU itself.

A reminder that the Xavier NX is already cut down from the AGX Xavier without most of the unnecessary stuff for a consumer device, is the same size as the newer Tegra X1, and seems way more fit than the rest of their latest lineup for use in a portable device, which is why I mentioned it might have been designed with that sort of use in mind. Especially at 15 watt maximum power draw. The only thing Nintendo would probably disable are the NVDLA chips.

Interesting material on the Jetson NX briefing, which shows the Jetson Nano(Newer Tegra X1) at 0.5tflops fp16 while the NX shows up as 6tflops fp16, so it would be interesting to see at least how that would translate into real world performance increases.
There's a lot of info from andantech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1507...r-a-trim-announces-nanosized-jetson-xavier-nx

Last edited: