• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zyxwvu4321

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Precision or Afterburner is better for overclocking the 2080s at this point? Like ease of use, etc. Or are they pretty much the same?

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Messed around more with overclocking, for the record I have the MSI Trio 2080 TI, and I am using MSI Afterburner 4.6.0 Beta 9. The Voltage Curve tool is awesome, and the OC Scanner and tester work really nicely. The curve potentially shows me getting 2100. In most games I'm getting 2025-2040, due to hitting voltage and power limit. +900 on Memory for 7900 mem clock. BTW I'm really sick of windows using Fullscreen Optimizations in all my games. I don't want your stupid game bar, I don't want you letting the volume overlay show up for me. Still getting smoother performance when in true Exclusive Fullscreen without Windows interfering.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy dot com updated and actually gave me a date for my 2080 TI FE card....

We'll ship it by Fri, November 9

:x

Guess I wait another month.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Still no public access to the Star Wars RTX demo? Had my ti a week now and I'm ready to see what the other half of my card can do!

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
BTW I'm really sick of windows using Fullscreen Optimizations in all my games. I don't want your stupid game bar, I don't want you letting the volume overlay show up for me. Still getting smoother performance when in true Exclusive Fullscreen without Windows interfering.

It's amazing how they can even pretend that adding an extra layer between your game and your display can somehow improve performance.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm contemplating getting the MSI RTX 2080 X Trio over the MSI 1080ti gaming. Any reason why I shouldn't?

I switched my gaming x 1080ti to the 2080 trio x.
It's lower power, more quiet (cant even hear the fans spin up during games) and a little bit faster.
The VRAM is less, but these cards aren't exactly suited for ultra high 4k gaming anyway, so I doubt it makes a practical difference.
Once the Turing specific stuff comes popping up, I think it'll be even better.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if my order with overclockers even registered, I've got something else with them that was supposed to ship same day and has just been sat on order received for a week now. I never got an email from amazon confirming the payment for either which I did last time

Don't want to risk cancelling it though because the price has gone up since then

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm contemplating getting the MSI RTX 2080 X Trio over the MSI 1080ti gaming. Any reason why I shouldn't?

AdoredTV compares the Trio with an Evga 1080ti FTW Elite and the results are as expected. 1080ti edges it slightly in most benchmarks, but it's effectively a wash.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4gmo9AXbNlA

I guess it depends how regularly you upgrade. 2080 is a better bet for the future with DLSS and RTX, but if you're the type that upgrades every cycle then price becomes increasingly relevant.

There's currently around a £100 differential comparing like for like:

2080:
https://www.ebuyer.com/857821-msi-g...trio-8gb-graphics-card-rtx-2080-gaming-x-trio

1080ti:
https://www.ebuyer.com/811102-msi-g...-trio-graphics-card-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-trio

Good choice on the Gaming X either way.

Deleted member 26462

Oct 30, 2017
2 weeks ago u preordered the MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio, but currently i haven't received it, and seems like it's going to be a long wait till the store receives more stock.

Is there any other custom model with similar base OC like this MSI model? Because if i can change It to other similar model thas currently has stock in stores that would be nice.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
2 weeks ago u preordered the MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio, but currently i haven't received it, and seems like it's going to be a long wait till the store receives more stock.

More stock.. or any stock when it comes to MSI Ti cards. I pre-ordered from two different (big) stores back in August when the cards became available for pre-order and neither store has received any MSI Ti cards so far. Neither of them even attempt to predict when they might get first stock at this point...

I still think I should cancel this madness. The deciding factor is (probably) whether I can get AC Odyssey to run with a 1080Ti at 3440x1440. Then again a 2080 Ti wouldn't help that much with Odyssey anyway so again I should cancel the pre-orders especially since I don't think the RTX features are worth anything with this first generation.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my Gigabyte 2080ti for three days now, easily reaches and maintains 2000+ Mghz under load, I'm actually kind of surprised that huge chip reaches about the same frequency my 1080 did. The performance is just ridiculous, and half the thing is not being used yet..

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Just got my 2080 Ti FE.
img_0477wicnb.jpg

Most expensive cassette I ever purchased tbh. Thing weighs a ton and looks stunning imo.
Now to put this thing into a severely underpowered machine with a non-OC i5-2500k and slow RAM until the new Intel CPUs come out.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Where are you?
Still no shipping news in Europe :(

I've had my Gigabyte 2080ti for three days now, easily reaches and maintains 2000+ Mghz under load, I'm actually kind of surprised that huge chip reaches about the same frequency my 1080 did. The performance is just ridiculous, and half the thing is not being used yet..
I actually think that once more of it is used it will clock quite a bit lower.
(Which is a good thing really -- the high clocks in "legacy" games give you more performance while parts of the GPU remain unused. At 2 GHz flat it's a 17.4 traditional FP32 TFLOP GPU -- in addition to the integer ops and everything else)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still super torn. I have a 3770K waiting for a new revision to do a full upgrade as maybe i9 arrives. But is it worth keeping that 2080Ti preorder? And then building around it? Like will it be hard to get the card later on? And is a new revision expected sooner rather than later y'all think?

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
OK, after thinking about it for a while, I am almost certain that the next generation will come sooner rather than later. In other words, in 12-15 months instead of 24-28 months. Why do I believe this? Because:

1) 7nm is right around the corner.
2) 2080ti was introduced at the same time as the 2080. It's obvious that if the 2080ti came later it would be quite close to the next gen.
3) The VRAM was not increased this time. Huge red flag.
4) RT and Tensor cores are relatively new tech that nVidia can keep improving at a more rapid pace than the already mature "traditional" raster cores.
5) nVidia loves their profits, they know they can keep releasing and the public will keep buying due to the lack of competition.

That's why I decided to go with the 1080ti for now and see where we are a year from now. The extra 3 GB of RAM were not bad either.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my 2080 Ti FE.

Most expensive cassette I ever purchased tbh. Thing weighs a ton and looks stunning imo.
Now to put this thing into a severely underpowered machine with a non-OC i5-2500k and slow RAM until the new Intel CPUs come out.

I'm interested in the performance you will get with being held back, as I have the same cpu.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
I've had my EVGA 2080TI Ultra since last thursday and it sounds like one of my fans is bad. Already advanced RMA'd it and my new one should be coming in next Wednesday. No option returning it to Microcenter as they're sold out.

Love EVGA and thats why I only buy from them.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my 2080 Ti FE.
img_0477wicnb.jpg

Did you ever get a shipping confirmation or did you just get it by surprise?

Mine still says processing boxed shipment on the Nvidia store, but they charged me like 2 weeks ago.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm interested in the performance you will get with being held back, as I have the same cpu.
I got some newer titles that I'm going to test. It's also hooked up to a 1080p 60 monitor but I guess I can turn off Vsync and see what I'll get.
Did you ever get a shipping confirmation or did you just get it by surprise?

Mine still says processing boxed shipment on the Nvidia store, but they charged me like 2 weeks ago.
I got the shipping confirmation this morning, so the same day the card came. But I did read about some people whose cards just arrived entirely unannounced.
Someone compiled Microsoft's DXR demos if anyone wants a test:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9lcs4u/_/

Not the most graphically amazing but a good test to see that it's working. It has the compute fallback enabled so older cards can run them as well.
Kinda ridiculous that this is the first DXR stuff available this long after launch.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Also a PSA to anyone that updated W10 to get the new DXR stuff - Microsoft decided that you wanted Game Mode on, so even if you turned it off in the past you will find that it is back on now after updating to 1809. You may want to turn it off again (just remember to repeat this process after every major patch when MS decides they know what you want better than you do).

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Waiting for a 2080 Ti to be in stock at either B&H or Newegg so I don't have to pay tax.

Any other "no tax" stores have it listed?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Nvidia Ti order today!

The no tax thing would have been nice, but B&H sells so much stuff that they don't stock forever.

Newegg's had stock here and there but gotta use Nowinstock.net and be FAST. I kinda wish I had grabbed an EVGA at Newegg when I had the chance.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Someone compiled Microsoft's DXR demos if anyone wants a test:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9lcs4u/_/

Not the most graphically amazing but a good test to see that it's working. It has the compute fallback enabled so older cards can run them as well.
Finally something to try out. It's kind of killing me all the more now that I've got the API and the drivers to support it, and all that we're waiting on is the software. I just want to see my card do the thing that's right in the name of it already!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Check and see if you are still paying no tax. My state added tax to newegg purchases starting a couple days ago on October 1.

After what Newegg pulled with Connecticut, you're almost better off this way. Better to pay at check-out, that get a letter in the mail demanding years worth of back tax (info that Newegg voluntarily gave away).

Deleted member 12177

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you?
Still no shipping news in Europe :(

I actually think that once more of it is used it will clock quite a bit lower.
(Which is a good thing really -- the high clocks in "legacy" games give you more performance while parts of the GPU remain unused. At 2 GHz flat it's a 17.4 traditional FP32 TFLOP GPU -- in addition to the integer ops and everything else)

I'm in the uk and got my Windforce 2080ti last Thursday.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to go with the 1080TI and future proof the rest of my build, then just slot the next gen of 20s or whatever it is in there.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Check and see if you are still paying no tax. My state added tax to newegg purchases starting a couple days ago on October 1.
I will.

I could have just bought an Asus 2080 Ti at Newegg for $1240 but changed my mind. Some of the reviewers were saying the fan design wasn't that good.

Edit- I just checked. You're right, they charge tax in MA now. I guess I'll just wait on B&H then.