• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the hardware RTX support and the denoiser, this seems like a sidegrade compared to the 2016/2017 non RTX Q2 project.
This new one has explosions with color and properly implemented reflective water. But the color scheme is kinda garish (but more true to the base game), and the objects being rendered are all flatly textured. That one window texture in the starting room is not correct at all.
The older one has a higher level of reflectivitiy and every surface has normal mapping. The more subdued color scheme sits with me better. Glass transparency is present, but not representative of realistic glass.

Also, the older one uses the Yamagi Quake 2 base which at runs all the way to 999 fps for me, while this newer on Q2Pro (or at least QuakeIIStarter version I installed, I don't have an RTX card and can't run the compiled Q2VKPT) doesn't want to go over 250fps, even when I force cl_maxfps 1000. Kind of a bugbear when I'm used to playing Q2 at 480hz/fps.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I've been enjoying this today. Amazing how much performance increase RTX brings, and denoising is even implemented!

Other than the hardware RTX support and the denoiser, this seems like a sidegrade compared to the 2016/2017 non RTX Q2 project.
This new one has explosions with color and properly implemented reflective water. But the color scheme is kinda garish (but more true to the base game), and the objects being rendered are all flatly textured. That one window texture in the starting room is not correct at all.
The older one has a higher level of reflectivitiy and every surface has normal mapping. The more subdued color scheme sits with me better. Glass transparency is present, but not representative of realistic glass.

Also, the older one uses the Yamagi Quake 2 base which at runs all the way to 999 fps for me, while this newer on Q2Pro (or at least QuakeIIStarter version I installed, I don't have an RTX card and can't run the compiled Q2VKPT) doesn't want to go over 250fps, even when I force cl_maxfps 1000. Kind of a bugbear when I'm used to playing Q2 at 480hz/fps.

It's still the very first version. It doesn't even have particles running yet. But the performance is more than an order of magnitude better. I can trivially play 1080p 60 on my 2080, even 4K is playable, whereas the old version couldn't hit 60fps at 480p... The denoising is also a vital feature.

The level of reflectivity is irrelevant to the performance, but hopefully the developer eventually enables the tweaking of specularity, and lets us toggle the colored lights, among other options in future versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been enjoying this today. Amazing how much performance increase RTX brings, and denoising is even implemented!

It's still the very first version. It doesn't even have particles running yet. But the performance is more than an order of magnitude better. I can trivially play 1080p 60 on my 2080, even 4K is playable, whereas the old version couldn't hit 60fps at 480p... The denoising is also a vital feature.

The level of reflectivity is irrelevant to the performance, but hopefully the developer eventually enables the tweaking of specularity, and lets us toggle the colored lights, among other options in future versions.
Yep, it performs substantially better - not knocking that in the slightest - and the reflectivity/specularity is just how that version is configured, but not having the added normal mapping is a real bummer.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what your settings are in the older version, but under my custom config in the precompiled version linked from YT I get between 150-300 fps during the time demo @ 640x480 & a flat 1080p30fps on my 1080 Ti.
set gl_pt_ao_color "1"
set gl_pt_ao_enable "0"
set gl_pt_ao_radius "150"
set gl_pt_ao_samples "1"
set gl_pt_bounce_factor "0.75"
set gl_pt_bounces "1"
set gl_pt_brushlights_enable "1"
set gl_pt_brushmodel_shadows_enable "1"
set gl_pt_bump_enable "1"
set gl_pt_bump_factor "0.045"
set gl_pt_depth_prepass_enable "1"
set gl_pt_diffuse_map_enable "1"
set gl_pt_dlights_enable "1"
set gl_pt_enable "1"
set gl_pt_exposure "1.3"
set gl_pt_gamma "2.2"
set gl_pt_light_samples "1"
set gl_pt_lightstyles_enable "1"
set gl_pt_shadow_samples "1"
set gl_pt_sky_enable "1"
set gl_pt_sky_samples "1"
set gl_pt_specular_factor "0.75"
set gl_pt_static_entity_lights_enable "0"
set gl_pt_stats_enable "0"
set gl_pt_taa_enable "0"
set gl_pt_translucent_surfaces_enable "1"
EDIT: oops, gl_pt_ao_enable should be "0"

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, why do I get so low score with this computer?

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5858355

I have the 2080ti Palit.

Yep, it performs substantially better - not knocking that in the slightest - and the reflectivity/specularity is just how that version is configured, but not having the added normal mapping is a real bummer.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what your settings are in the older version, but under my custom config in the precompiled version linked from YT I get between 150-225 fps during the time demo @ 640x480 & a flat 1080p30fps on my 1080 Ti.
set gl_pt_ao_color "1"
set gl_pt_ao_enable "0"
set gl_pt_ao_radius "150"
set gl_pt_ao_samples "1"
set gl_pt_bounce_factor "0.75"
set gl_pt_bounces "1"
set gl_pt_brushlights_enable "1"
set gl_pt_brushmodel_shadows_enable "1"
set gl_pt_bump_enable "1"
set gl_pt_bump_factor "0.045"
set gl_pt_depth_prepass_enable "1"
set gl_pt_diffuse_map_enable "1"
set gl_pt_dlights_enable "1"
set gl_pt_enable "1"
set gl_pt_exposure "1.3"
set gl_pt_gamma "2.2"
set gl_pt_light_samples "1"
set gl_pt_lightstyles_enable "1"
set gl_pt_shadow_samples "1"
set gl_pt_sky_enable "1"
set gl_pt_sky_samples "1"
set gl_pt_specular_factor "0.75"
set gl_pt_static_entity_lights_enable "0"
set gl_pt_stats_enable "0"
set gl_pt_taa_enable "0"
set gl_pt_translucent_surfaces_enable "1"

I'll admit it had been a while since I ran it, and I could never locate this cfg file so I never bothered to get it running on my i9-9900k build before. Yeah it runs better than I recall. I'm running 1024x786 at mostly 60fps on my 2080 now with very similar settings as you have there.

I think there is a certain perceived detail which is being lost or obscured, possibly by the denoising, as the penumbra are far less dramatic in this RTX accelerated version than the original.

There's also the matter of the 'dynamic' light sources which are not enabled in the RTX build, these are little glowy bits which light the scene in original Quake 2 but come from no brush 'light source'.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I know some sources said RTX warranty claim rate is no different than previous generations of cards, but I find that very hard to believe. I see way too many people saying their RTX card died on the internet. I've never seen anything like that before.

It's all hearsay vs. legitimate sources at this point, but it does seem odd. There's definitely more Turing trolls than any graphics card generation, so that might amount to the difference. The average failure rate for these components is around 2% typically. X360 had an initial failure rate around 30% (which was an immediate and very large clamor on the net).

Hm, why do I get so low score with this computer?

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5858355

I have the 2080ti Palit.

EDIT: And Firestrike, https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17936309, which isn't to bad.,

What's your power supply again? You're less than 1000 points off my 2080 non-Ti score (with a i9-9900k at stock).

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's all hearsay vs. legitimate sources at this point, but it does seem odd. There's definitely more Turing trolls than any graphics card generation, so that might amount to the difference. The average failure rate for these components is around 2% typically. X360 had an initial failure rate around 30% (which was an immediate and very large clamor on the net).

What's your power supply again? You're less than 1000 points off my 2080 non-Ti score (with a i9-9900k at stock).

Have a corsair 750w gold, but the connection to the GPU is via one cable that split into two (one 6 or 8 pin in the PSU and split into two in the GPU)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Have a corsair 750w gold, but the connection to the GPU is via one cable that split into two (one 6 or 8 pin in the PSU and split into two in the GPU)

Yeah I would use two PSU cables for your GPU if only to eliminate that as a possibility.

Do I recall you saying you overclocked to 5.0? You could always try returning your CPU to stock settings (after recording your current working values) just to see if that clears up any potential stability / throttling that could happen.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I would use two PSU cables for your GPU if only to eliminate that as a possibility.

Do I recall you saying you overclocked to 5.0? You could always try returning your CPU to stock settings (after recording your current working values) just to see if that clears up any potential stability / throttling that could happen.

I have returned all to std.

This is how it looks on the GPU, will try adding a cable.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SQkqOek

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ok I know some sources said RTX warranty claim rate is no different than previous generations of cards, but I find that very hard to believe. I see way too many people saying their RTX card died on the internet. I've never seen anything like that before.

Yeah, the communities I frequent has a lot of RTX cards dying too. I would say something is definitely fishy. Also, my card is quite old too. I was feeling pretty safe, given that most RTX space invader artifact death seem to occur a few days/couple of weeks after the purchase. Well, mine happened a few months later. And it's not like I was going easy on the card either, I was playing lots of demanding games on it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I don't even have an extra cable with the PSU... hmmm...

Well Do NOT grab one from another PSU. Because the pinout on those cables varies from model to model, even within a brand. You could fry something if you use a cable that happens to pinout differently.

PSU should have come with all the needed cables.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well Do NOT grab one from another PSU. Because the pinout on those cables varies from model to model, even within a brand. You could fry something if you use a cable that happens to pinout differently.

PSU should have come with all the needed cables.

Yeah I read that :D

But what can I do? I have checked the PCIe speed and it is x16 etc.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the communities I frequent has a lot of RTX cards dying too. I would say something is definitely fishy. Also, my card is quite old too. I was feeling pretty safe, given that most RTX space invader artifact death seem to occur a few days/couple of weeks after the purchase. Well, mine happened a few months later. And it's not like I was going easy on the card either, I was playing lots of demanding games on it.

I have no doubt that it's ticked higher than usual, but again.. when people start ranting about 3-4 failures in a row I get suspicious. There was a post earlier about an SSD, and I get that for sure.. but people were sending these back early days, and generally at that point you get a new card b/c there is no refurb stock at that point. That's certainly what happened with mine.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ran it again and got a BSOD related to software... might be that I need to reinstall the computer after mobo change,

Btw is there any specific settings for the fire strike demo you should do? I run it at 1440 P etc

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ran again, same score. I guess the clocks are lower on this card then other 2080ti I think, was on the cheaper end.

Or any other ideas?

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Returned my 2080xc ultra, then traded an extra gtx1080 card I had lying around plus cash for a 2080ti xc to a friend.
This little turd card is loud as shit while playing odyssey maxed out. I assume there's nothing I can do about the fan noise?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Returned my 2080xc ultra, then traded an extra gtx1080 card I had lying around plus cash for a 2080ti xc to a friend.
This little turd card is loud as shit while playing odyssey maxed out. I assume there's nothing I can do about the fan noise?

So the XC standard is really that much louder than the XC Ultra? Might not do my XC Ultra -> Ti Black step up if that's the case.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cooler on a EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC (non Ultra) is way too small for a 2080Ti. You could try undervolting and reducing power limit, that will make the card run cooler and quieter but will also lower performance.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
So the XC standard is really that much louder than the XC Ultra? Might not do my XC Ultra -> Ti Black step up if that's the case.
Only on certain games. Ubisofts games always rev up my gpus. My 2080 ultra was definitely quieter though. I have a meshify case so that doesn't help at all with noise.

Either way I'm happy with the swap, knowing I won't have to upgrade till after next gen consoles release.

Cooler on a EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC (non Ultra) is way too small for a 2080Ti. You could try undervolting and reducing power limit, that will make the card run cooler and quieter but will also lower performance.

Yea I figured. I have a PS4 pro so I'll get used to the noise in no time.

edit. I downloaded precision x and there's a max temp option which lowers the power for you. Just tried it with odyssey and it's so much quieter and runs fine (only @1440p). Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
That XC Ultra cooler is just nuts. My kids' 2070 model does all kinds of stuff without even turning on the fans.

Jan 4, 2018
Would the RTX 2060 be a worthwhile upgrade from a GTX 1060 6GB if I'm looking for a more budget friendly option? $350 is a decent range for me but I want something that can handle 1440p gaming on current titles and raytracing isn't a particular must-have feature for me.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Would the RTX 2060 be a worthwhile upgrade from a GTX 1060 6GB if I'm looking for a more budget friendly option? $350 is a decent range for me but I want something that can handle 1440p gaming on current titles and raytracing isn't a particular must-have feature for me.

If you are somewhat happy with the 1060 at 1440p then probably, yes. But I'd personally consider the 2070 to be the minimum for 1440p (in 20 series). If you are patient you can get a 2070 short of $500, so $450 should be a reality soon if not now. I saw a 2080 deal for ~$588 yesterday so deals are out there.

If you are feeling lucky Zotac is selling refurbished 1080 FE's for $350, but the warranty is 90 days.

https://store.zotac.com/refurbished

Last edited:

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The performance of the 2060 is pretty good for the price.
The fact that it has only 6GB much less so.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
When comparing to the 10 series, the RTX 2060 is comparable to a 1070 Ti, so it's a pretty nice upgrade.
Do note that the 2060 has higher power consumption than the 1060 (just in case you're not aware), though it does use less power than the 1070 Ti, so it's more efficient than the 10 series cards.

Jan 4, 2018
If you are somewhat happy with the 1060 at 1440p then probably, yes. But I'd personally consider the 2070 to be the minimum for 1440p (in 20 series). If you are patient you can get a 2070 short of $500, so $450 should be a reality soon if not now. I saw a 2080 deal for ~$588 yesterday so deals are out there.

If you are feeling lucky Zotac is selling refurbished 1080 FE's for $350, but the warranty is 90 days.

Hmm, the refurbished 1080 is tempting.
When comparing to the 10 series, the RTX 2060 is comparable to a 1070 Ti, so it's a pretty nice upgrade.
Do note that the 2060 has higher power consumption than the 1060 (just in case you're not aware), though it does use less power than the 1070 Ti, so it's more efficient than the 10 series cards.

Thanks for the heads up, my current power supply is a 460w.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, my current power supply is a 460w.

Yikes! Great pickup by ezodagrom. You will need to address that for any of these cards.

Hmm, the refurbished 1080 is tempting.

Hey, a thought on this... You'd probably be fine.. just stress the hell out of it for a month or two to make sure it's good to go.. and of course read their policies closely.

But if on the odd chance that it lasts beyond their 90 days but still turns out to be a lemon, broken video cards sell amazingly well on Ebay. I see broken 1080 Ti's sell for ~$400+ and 1080's seem to go for $250+ as well.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

A 1070 for 250 bucks??? That's insane!

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I want i want to run the OC Scanner on my RTX 2080 Trio but I am running into a problem. i have unlocked voltage monitoring and voltage control and also moved on the sliders all the way to the right. I hit the small graph button on the side and a window with a graph curve pops up.I see the OC Scanner button and I can click it but nothing happens after words no new window opens where I cab hit the test button. Any idea what this could be?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I need some help. Hopefully someone can assist me here.

I have now been waiting in the EVGA step-up queue for 4 months. I'm stepping up from a 2080 to a 2080 Ti as for the price difference it made no sense not to do it for the boost in performance. This was the only card EVGA allowed you to step up to: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2282-KR $1,250 and it remains out of stock, which is why I guess I'm stuck in the queue. EVGA now has multiple 2080 Ti's in stock, including this significantly cheaper model: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

So basically, am I just fucked here? I emailed EVGA support a month ago and basically got told "Oh well. Keep waiting."

I should never have bought this 2080... The Ti's were out of stock and I wanted to upgrade and figured I could just step-up through EVGA cause of what good things I heard. I should have just waited, if I had I could buy a 2080 Ti for $1,100 right now. Instead I have to keep waiting for lord knows how much longer and spend MORE.